Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
The Home Wine Making Thread *Bottled!!!*
    #4902862 - 11/06/05 11:52 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

So let’s face it guys, wine is popular, and there are many dishes that call for cooking with wine. Of course your suppose to use a wine that you would drink, and you could plop down $5-$10 for a bottle of wine that your not really going to fully enjoy by itself anyways, so make it yourself.

So today, if you want to make wine for the home, it comes in a box with everything you need minus the equipment.

This box costs about $90 at a homebrew store, but this one was $55 at wholesale price. This is a 2005 Australian Chardonnay.

Wine making is nothing compared to homebrewing. A tard could make decent wine without any sort of prior skill or knowledge. Must and a small zip lock bag with ingredients and instructions.

Everything you need is included, benotite, yeast, oak chips(if applicable),sulphite, isinglass, and potassium sorbate.

Here's my fermentation vessel. Sanitized and filled with 4 litres of RO water and the pack of benotite as per instructions. After that you just dump in the bag of must. What I think is the hardest part to wine making is getting the cap off the bag and getting it into a carboy without spilling any.

Here's the oak chip infusion bag, steep with 1 cup hot water for 10 minutes and dump it in. Simple, simple, simple.

This yeast pack(above) that came in the kit is probably some sort of generic champagne yeast. While that yeast might produce a fair quality wine, I went with yeast for fermenting white wines. You could easily go with a White Labs or Wyeast pitchable yeast. I'm pitching extra yeast for a quick and clean fermentation.

Now you want to take a gravity reading so you can measure the alcohol content. Looks like a 1.102 at 70F. So SG: 1.103.

Here's something I never understood. The instructions have a prejudice against using plastic buckets and would rather you use a glass carboy. How are you suppose to get the oak chips into the fermenter? The glass carboy has a smaller opening than this one. So thats it, let it ferment out, and I'll post more pics when the next steps are at hand.

The best thing about wine is that even if its crappy, you'll always have a perfect excuse, the one that the pros use. Just say these few words and harsh criticisms stop coming: "it was a bad year". So now you won't feel any guilt if your wine comes out crappy.

11/20 Update:

The gravity has dropped below 1.010. So it is now the time for the second step.

I'm going to transfer into this bucket. I'm out of carboys at the moment, but this will do fine. After the first 24 hours of fermentation, it is a bad idea to get the beverage exposed to oxygen, so I've purged the bucket using CO2.

Transferring to secondary....

This is what is left behind, the "lees". Its best to transfer it off of the lees because autolysis will start to happen in a few weeks.

So now there's nothing to do except let it sit for at least another week.

12/13 update.
I'm lazy. I probably won't bottle up my chardonnay until mid january, so instead of waiting, my pinot noir is ready to be bottled.

After secondary fermentation, add the sulphites, potassium sorbate, and the isinglass. From there you wait at least another week until its clear.

Now that its clear, its time to bottle.

Bottling cane into the bottle. Bottles were cleaned, sanitized, and purged with CO2 to make sure that none of the wines go stale or get an acetobacter infection.

Buy some corks....

and a corker....

And thats it. 27 750ml bottles of wine. I already gave one to my buddy that helped me bottle. The corks are about $0.25 each. Which brings the price of the wine to $2.25/bottle. The bottles were free from friends and a local winery.

Right now it can sit for a few months or years or just drink it right away. Its up to you.

Edited by daussaulit (12/13/05 07:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: The Home Wine Making Thread [Re: daussaulit]
    #4902902 - 11/07/05 12:04 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

sweet as i was going to buy one of these kits about $80 from the local, makes about 30 bottles. would love to hear how it turns out.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *secondary fermentation* [Re: daussaulit]
    #4961820 - 11/20/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

added some more pictures.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #4962037 - 11/20/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

How long does this take from start to finish?

If I start tomorrow will I be able to have something ready by Christmas?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *secondary fermentation* [Re: GabbaDj]
    #4962344 - 11/20/05 11:17 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

If you follow the instructions, its suppose to take 42 days. I could get it done in less than that, but it really needs to sit and age a little before you drink it.

If you aerate the must like crazy, pitch a massive amount of yeast, keep the fermenter at a contant 75F, it can be done. Your suppose to let wine sit for 2-3 months after bottling before you drink it.

Beer, you can get that knocked out in a week.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #4997278 - 11/30/05 01:25 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Did you add the sulphite when you separated the yeast?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4998342 - 11/30/05 12:28 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

> I could get it done in less than that, but it really needs to sit and age a little before you drink it.

Slower fermentation results in fewer 'bad' alcohols which means the chances of a hangover are much slimmer. Properly aging a wine can make a TON of difference in taste. I have made some absolutely horrid tasting wine that I forgot about only to taste it a year or two later and be amazed at how good it turned out. Onion wine is probably the nastiest I ever made...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *secondary fermentation* [Re: Anno]
    #4998656 - 11/30/05 02:19 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

No. After I transferred the wine from primary fermentation, it sits for a little bit longer and the fermentation still continues. I will add the sulphite, isinglass and the potassium sorbate after I transfer the wine from secondary fermentation.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *secondary fermentation* [Re: Seuss]
    #4999230 - 11/30/05 04:15 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Onion wine is probably the nastiest I ever made...

:crazy: how stoned were you when you thought this would be a good idea? yuck, that sounds nasty indeed! :wink:

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *secondary fermentation* [Re: stefan]
    #5001346 - 12/01/05 03:32 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is RO water?

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *secondary fermentation* [Re: Taskenti]
    #5001498 - 12/01/05 07:21 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#5059151 - 12/13/05 07:03 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

There it is, bottled and ready to drink.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #5065549 - 12/15/05 01:44 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

have you had a little drink of it yet?

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *secondary fermentation* [Re: spudamore]
    #5072470 - 12/16/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

but of course.

OfflineTheWhiteSeal
Stranger
Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *Bottled!!!* [Re: daussaulit]
    #8391733 - 05/12/08 06:43 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

A while back I started brewing my own wine, I have really started getting into it and now actually sell my wine to friends and family. I wanted to add that extra touch to my wine so I designed my own wine labels and had them printed by a british labels company who did a excellent job. It has made my wine bottle look really great!

OfflineAsric
Fueled By Satan
 User Gallery

Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *Bottled!!!* [Re: TheWhiteSeal]
    #8446685 - 05/26/08 12:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Wine is great. There are some reeeeeaaaally fun things you can do like make Pyments also which are delicious. Also if you feel like cheating, concord grape juice concentrate (with no preservatives obviously) makes a great base for a wine that you can get from the grociery store. You Concord is by far one of the sweetest ones.
Also grapes are just about the only fruit in the world with a high enough sugar content to make a good wine without the addition of additional sugars. So if you are wanting to make a blackberry wine or something else make sure and add a reasonable amount of sugars to it from other sources, honey is a great one.

Search google for Cats Meow 3 and it will bring up a great site with some good recipes.

Also, GabbaDJ, if you are wanting something by christmas that will taste great try adding spices to your wine or mead, they really help cover up the green flavor of a young brew and give it extra character. Just be mindful that somethings go a long ways with just a little addition, like cinimon or mint.

Lastly on my little rant, you should try making mead, its stuuuuuupid easy and most everyone seems to love it.
I think Im going to stop rambling and just make a post on an intro to wine and mead with some recipes and hints. lol

--------------------
Looking to trade for:
Wedges of: Golden Oyster, Pink Oyster, Shaggy Mane, Stropharia R.
Prints of: Z strain, Treasure Coast, Exotics, Morels
Have to trade:
Wedges: Pearl Oyster, Wellington Oyster, Grey Oyster, Lion's Mane
Prints: B+
Other stuff: Micro centrifuge tubes, Home made artisan bouillon in chicken and shellfish (lobster and shrimp), Homemade pecan smoked salt

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #9538350 - 01/03/09 03:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Onion wine is probably the nastiest I ever made...

What are some of the good ones??

I have just gotten into the whole wine making scene, with the help of my grandfather (who donated all the equipment) and a wine kit from a local shop. I'm really amazed at how easy it all is, and the fact that I didn't do this sooner!

I found this site, and the guy appears to be quite knowledgeable: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net

He's got some really interesting recipes! I'm looking at the ones for jalapenos and for wheat...do you have any experience with wines made from grain or hot peppers?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *secondary fermentation* [Re: trendal]
    #9576479 - 01/09/09 11:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

> What are some of the good ones??

Apple and honey were probably the best ones that I did.  Dandelion was surprising as well; I expected it to be nasty, but it wasn't too bad.  Honey, along with a nice champagne yeast, was actually my favorite.  I used to buy fresh honey from an old retired couple that lived a few miles outside of town for $20 a gallon.

One thing that I learned... a year of aging can go a long way towards turning an undrinkable bottle into something halfway decent.

I also used to mix my mistakes with other alcohols.  For example, when the homebrew beer turns out really nasty, mix it with cheap champagne and it becomes drinkable.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinetrillby33
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#9615910 - 01/15/09 05:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Would you mind sharing your dandelion wine recipe? My sister has informed me that "it is my destiny to make dandelion wine" and I'm toying with the idea of putting a tester batch down this spring. Advice would be much appreciated.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Home Wine Making Thread *secondary fermentation* [Re: trillby33]
    #9619361 - 01/16/09 05:25 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

> Would you mind sharing your dandelion wine recipe?

I would if I knew it still... this was 20+ years ago.  Lemme see what I can remember...use just the petals from the flower.  If you include any of the flower head or stems, the wine becomes bitter.  I used around a gallon bucket, almost full, of flower petals, a gallon of distilled water, probably three pounds of unprocessed (non-bleached) cane sugar (not brown sugar, but has a brownish tint to it), half a cup of lemon juice and half a cup of very strong tea.  (Again, not 100% certain... but this is the general mix I used for most of what I fermented.)

Based upon the general method I used to use, I probably added boiling water to the flower petals and let them slow cook for an hour or two.  I would have then added the sugar, lemon juice, and tea and stirred until all the sugar dissolved.  Once it cooled, add a nice wine yeast and let it sit (covered) in a warm dark area for three days.  Strain, pour into a secondary fermenter covered with a fermentation trap.  Once it clears, strain again, and rack.  Once fermentation ceases, rack again.

This was the wine that tasted like crap when I first made it, but became drinkable with age... two years in the bottle works wonders!

Edit:

Thinking more about this, I seem to recall adding a little bit of fresh squeezed orange juice and some dark honey as well.  Probably around half a cup to a cup of juice and a half quart of honey.  With the honey, I would have used a bit less cane sugar.  I also kind of remember racking three times rather than two...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale