Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Carmalization of Onions and other things
    #3321278 - 11/04/04 06:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hello I am kinda new to this forum. But I really enjoy cooking in a huge way. My wife is a accomplished college educated Chef. So we do a bunch of cooking around here. Anyway I was thinking what would be a good post and I realized this may be a great subject. It tends to lean towards the educated end of cooking but I think you will get something from it. :laugh: This may be painfully obvious to a lot of you but, there is also a lot of Noob chefs running around here. :smirk:

Most times when I was cooking Onions I would just put some oil or butter etc. in a pan. Toss the sliced Onions into the pan, med heat or so and cook about 10-15 min. *thinking....Come on, lets get on to the food OK :grin: Right? You know what I am talking about.Hungry

Then  I learned about cooking the Onions the correct way. It takes an hour or more. Sugar is present in most vegetables and some more than others. When you cook Onions the water is boiled out and the sugars caramelize. The trick is to not get the sugar cooking faster then the water is leaving.
Here you go,

Fairly thin slices
Low heat
Butter for very rich flavor or
Olive Oil                      - enough to get them vey wet. No more than a few extra spoons full in the bottom of pan.
Heavy bottom pan
Cook time at least 45 -60 min.
  If shorter,then your heat is to high

When cooking watch for the Onions to turn translucent. This is the steam in the cell walls escaping. As soon as you see any browning, this can take upto 20 min. Turn down the heat if you can. At this point is when the love must come in :heart: Stir every few min. lots of love. Your making candy. When you make candy temps are everything. When they are done, they should be one complete uniform color, Carmel. If there is any black at all you didn't get it right.

Yellow onions for example, raw, are very ONION tasting :crazy:
But when cook slooooooooooooooow and looooooooooow they become like candy. Some of the Onions that get cooked around here are Candy, very sweet. :thumbup: These Onions can be use in so many things, I will not even begin to mention them.

This applies to all Onions and most Veggies, Tomatoes,Green Peppers etc. Experience will be your best teacher but I hope, with these couple basic tips. You will be far ahead of the Pan cooked Onion game :smile:

Edited by Fucknuckle (11/04/04 06:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Carmalization of Onions and other things [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3321492 - 11/04/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

crockpots are pretty good for caramalizing some onions..

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Carmalization of Onions and other things [Re: felix]
    #3321846 - 11/04/04 08:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes they are

Too funny :lol:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #3337724 - 11/09/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

+5 for you! i love onions and took your post and put it to work....here it is:
cooking time was hour and a half or so....

Yum Yum

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Carmalization of Onions and other things [Re: dobinky]
    #3347962 - 11/11/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah Dude those look great! Thumbs up.

If you cook up an entire bag one night :rolleyes: you can pack them into zip locks.They will stay in the fridge up to 7-10 days. Then you can add them to many different dishes. But I will let you in on one of our favorites.

Stuffed Salmon :tongue:

Loaf of whole grain bread, your choice
Carmalized Onions
Large Salmon fillet
and mabey some cut baby portabellas, pan simmered first in real butter.

OK What you want to do is cube your bread slices. Then put cubed bread and onions into bowl. About, 70 % Onions to 30% Bread. Toss it like a salad. Let it set covered for about 20 min.

Prepare Salmon by cutting the fillet into probably, 3-5 pieces. Keep then big as you can like 3 by 4 inches at least. Then slice a pocket into each piece. So you can stuff it. Just like you might a Nice Pork Chop. Rub the inside down with Olive Oil. Take your stuffing mix and fill your fish. I like to pack'em full as I can. Letting big wads of it hang out. :grin:

Preheat oven,Bake at 375 until the fish flakes. Er.......really just before. It cooks for a few more min in the pan once you take it out. About 16-20 mins usally. The trick is to always take fish out when you think it may need a rew more mins longer. IT IS DONE. :crazy: Fish should be very juicy and almost raw. If you know what I mean. Anyway this makes some kick ass Salmon.

Season as you like. Enjoy

:grin: :laugh: :heart:

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #3349010 - 11/11/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I shall be paying a visit to my friend who has 50lbs of salmon frozen from his fishing trip a few months ago....i will do this and get a pic for ya too!

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Anonymous

#3349603 - 11/11/04 11:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Mmm, great write ups. I love onions, I'd be interested in any more simple onion recipes you could share :smile:

Offlined3v1lsblood
Stranger
    #8834470 - 08/27/08 06:34 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, just wondering whether I would want to sautee onions for a dish like curry? Should I sautee the onions first then add in the spices or do it the other way round?

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #8834992 - 08/27/08 09:13 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Sweet Onions are the best for this..

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder