Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleByrain

Trusted Identifier
ID Request Please, Volvariella species
    #12860181 - 07/07/10 01:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Habitat:
Found in Sacramento area, California, well irrigated grass.  Scattered to gregarious and spread out quite a bit.  There were a few small to medium sized leaf bearing trees in the area, but there was a good 10+ feet to the closest tree.  I couldn't tell you which trees though (Now I realize I should have taken pics), unfortunately, no oaks though.

Gills:
White to flesh/salmon pink, not attached, tightly packed gills.

Stem:
Tapering upwards to equal, smooth white discoloring flesh colored/bisk pink, fleshy, cuts crisp, solid, the smaller ones had thin stems with some of the larger ones having thick ones.  They also have a faint white volvo.

Cap:
About 1 cm wide on some of the small ones to about 6 cm on the larger ones, white to tan, soft, bell-shaped to convex to umbonate.  The moist caps where viscid and the dryer ones smooth, while the older specimens started taking on a wrinkled appearance with some showing cracking.

Spore print color:
Edit:  Salmon Pink, I am having a hard time getting a lot of them to print though, is it necessary to do so to every one?
Not white, the few that are leaving any print so far seems to be some kind of salmon/flesh pink, I'll update again in the morning.

Bruising:
Nothing really.

Other information:
Has a distinct smell, almost sweet, but its hard to describe.  At first I was thinking it was Volvariella speciosa, but something seemed off so now I am thinking Volvariella pussilla, but still I feel I might be wrong.  And did I damage the volva while picking it?  I tried to be careful, but I could of messed up anyways.  Lastly, could it be edible?

Edit: Pictures moved to Mushroom Observer - http://mushroomobserver.org/59830?q=2tnh

Edited by Byrain (11/27/10 05:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Trusted Identifier
Re: Volvariella species [Re: Byrain]
    #12860237 - 07/07/10 01:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The presence of the volva and the salmon Pink print indicates it's a Volariella sp. but I'm not too crash hot on these so wait for Alan or someone else but me. Looks like there was a bunch of them too.

--------------------

InvisibleByrain

Trusted Identifier
Re: Volvariella species [Re: karode13]
    #12861416 - 07/07/10 11:08 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

A few have very clear salmon pink prints, the rest are not printing or are too faint, even without the printing how likely is it that they are all the same species?  They where all found in the same grassy area/

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
    #12861425 - 07/07/10 11:11 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think they're Volvariella speciosa. They have a new moniker that I can't think of right now...

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

InvisibleByrain

Trusted Identifier
Re: Volvariella species [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #12862051 - 07/07/10 01:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Is there anyway to be sure of your belief?  Ever since finding what I am pretty sure was V. speciosa (Or Volvariella gloiocephala (Is that the name you were trying recall?) as wikipedia calls it) a while back (It was the same as this, minus the wood mulch/ground habitat, noticeable larger size, and not so many, not to mention it was growing next to a somewhat similar looking patch Hebeloma crustuliniforme, so I erred on the side of caution) I have been quite interested in trying them. :smile:

And thanks for both of your input.

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
    #12862092 - 07/07/10 01:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

With the volva and the pink print I couldn't guess what else it could be, except another Volvariella species. It never hurts to have more opinions though.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

InvisibleByrain

Trusted Identifier
Re: Volvariella species [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #12862844 - 07/07/10 04:36 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bobzimmer said:
With the volva and the pink print I couldn't guess what else it could be, except another Volvariella species.

This is what I am thinking it could be, due to the information contained in mushrooms demystified.  It lists V. speciosa as having the cap 5-15 cm broad, my previous find matched this, but only a few of these ones match the lower part of the given range, most are considerably smaller.  The same goes for the stem, few of these got only a few cm longer then the 5-20 cm long range or near the 1-2.5 thick stems with the thickest one at the base being 1.5 cm, most a lot thinner.

Seeing this I ended up looking at V. hypopithys and V. smithii due to the appearance and smaller size, but both have pubescent stalks which this collected species lacks and V. smithii has a brownish or ochre-stained volvo which these also lack (As far as I can tell).  Not to mention that the listed habitat didn't match, though this book also doesn't list lawn grass for V. speciosa which a few sites on the internet do.  Lastly, I ended up with V. pusilla (Mentioned in the comments of V. hypopithys) which also seems to match the appearance with a white or greyish volvo, with a lawn grass habitat, and a non-pubescent stalk, but naturally I am having trouble finding more information on it.

Quote:

Bobzimmer said:It never hurts to have more opinions though.

Very true. :smile:

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12863240 - 07/07/10 06:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

volvariella pusilla- pileus .8-3.0 c broad, ovoid to conic, conwex in age,mouse grey with thick matted fibrals. Striate just at the margin,drylamallea free thick close, white at first soon pink,stipe 1-3 cm long, .1-.5 cm wide. egual white enlarged just at the stipe base,which is surrounded by the mouse grey fibrillose persistant lobeddeep membranous volva partial veil absent, odor and taste not distinctive:lecture:

InvisibleByrain

Trusted Identifier
Re: Volvariella species [Re: SomeGuy]
    #12863435 - 07/07/10 06:42 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks, that was quite informational.

Though I don't see or feel any thick matted fibrils on caps, the size seems a tad too small, and I am unsure about the volvo, it seems off, but without defining words such as 'lobeddeep' I don't think I can get much farther.  Still, the Volvariella key in mushrooms demystified doesn't take me to V. speciosa due to the cap size, instead to V. pusilla, but everything else seems to match up to the former, hmm. :confused:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures