Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Creating New Strains of Psychedelic Mushrooms
    #91389 - 12/28/99 02:14 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I dont think colchicine does this, but I might be wrong. Actually colchicine is used to mutate canabis seeds to be only female seeds (=more THC). It will create new strain but will probably will not cross breed any strains. You know, thats how most of Mr. G's strains were created. Taking colchicine, applying to spores, looking for germination under a microscope (only a few spores will germinate after contact with colchicine), moving these to new agars, stabilizing the new strain and than voila! a new strain is created.
If you would like to cross breed two strains you would need a mutagen that takes one nucleum frm a cell and putin it in a different cell, thus mixing the gene pool together, and croos breeding a strain out of two different species.

Later,
tweedy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#91391 - 12/28/99 03:01 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Actually, it is true that when you induce tetraploid in two incompatable species/strains in the same genera that they can be breed together to produce a fertile amphidloid. I've been doing alot of research on colchicine and induced polyploidy plants, lately. Althought, I don't know why it would produce all female plants but I remember seeing something like this before.

-PsiliPharm

Anonymous

#91392 - 12/29/99 11:50 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I have thought about this for a long time but never done it (no colchicine or autumn chrocus). I think you would have to isolate monokarytoic mycelium. Transfer monokaryotic mycelium of the two different species onto an agar plate w/ colchicine in it and allow the monokaryots to grow towards eachother. When the to myceliums meet mating may occur. Transfer mycelium from the meeting point onto a new plate w/o colchicine. If growth is strong a new hybrid may have been created. Now you need to try to fruit it.
Here is the hybrid I wanted to see happen:
Ps. rogusa-annulata (the garden giant, up to 5lbs each)x Ps azur :wink:

Check out www.fungiperfecti.com for pictures (and correct spelling of rogusa-annulata

Anonymous

#91393 - 12/29/99 11:52 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Anonymous

#91394 - 12/29/99 02:19 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, I don't know if the garden giant will work. And it's not a Psilocybe species and doesn't contain Psilocin/Psilocybin. It is Stropharia rugoso-annulata which Psilocybe cubensis was once called Stropharia cubensis but these still may not be compatable but it would be interesting to see.

-PsiliPharm

Anonymous

#91395 - 12/30/99 08:04 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

The garden giant has been reclasified as a psilocybe according to Stamets himself. This does not mean that it contains psilocybin (it doesnt). The genes for psilocybin production would come from azur and the genes for size from the gg, hopefully. Anyway, stropharia and psilocybe are very closely related and many mycologist have suggested combining them. Dont forget just because we classify something as species a doesnt mean much anyway. Our classifiaction can be very artificall. This combination has about as good a chance at working as the other.

Anonymous

#91396 - 12/30/99 08:09 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

BTW, just for an example for the long list above, Treasure Coast and B+ are not 2 different species (they are 2 different strains)and could simply be mating by isolating monokarytic mycelium. No colchicine is need. That pretty much applies to most of your list. If you happento buy into the idea that B+ is not a cube than take Gulf Coast and Phantasia Mystery as an example of 2 different STRAINS of cubensis.

InvisibleTweeky1
Stranger
    #91397 - 01/12/00 09:24 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Man could you imagine if that big sucker had the good stuff in it!!!! If you grew one and dried it you would be set for at least a year!@!@!@!@!@!

I would pay mega bucks for a strain like that!

OfflineMycelium5150
Check theDate!!!!
    #91398 - 01/12/00 09:33 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

what a waste of time, how long did it take you to type out that list of cross's. come on, each one of those wqould have to be tested. even more time consuming

--------------------
Mad skills, you know this!!!

I am here to Myth Bust

Anonymous

#91399 - 01/13/00 09:38 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Hehe...but I like consuming...

-PsiliPharm

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #91400 - 01/16/00 04:08 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

once again, all colchicine is useful for is to induce polyploidy in living cells and killing most of the others. It doesn't make all female pot, I have seen plenty of polyploid males, females and hermies. It doesn't magically allow cross-breeding. Some polyploid strains/species may get new breeding abilities, but it is not a given. It's not even likely, it's just possible, due to new genetic material(new as in quantity not quality).
Example, once again: ever eaten a strawberry? Did it come from a supermarket? If so it was most likely a polyploid strawberry. Polyploidy in plants often produces larger more hardy plants. Ever eaten an apple? Same deal as the strawberries. Now, ever eaten a strapple? How about an apperry? Didn't think so. If you ever do, it will likely have been created through gene splicing, possibly polyploid gene splicing, probably not. The polyploid state would be much easier to create after you've already crossed the strawberry and apple genes. Point is, polyploidy doesn't automatically allow cross-breeding, especially across species or family lines. All it does is double the number of chromosomes, plain and simple. Interesting effects, but probably not the magic cure all that some pipe dreams might lead you to believe.
Remember how poisonous this stuff is. Don't mess with it unless you are prepared to die.

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Anonymous

#91401 - 01/16/00 11:54 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I know that you can't cross an apple with a strawberry, because they aren't even in the same genus. Most of the strains listed above are the same species just different strains, but all of them are of the same genus. They are all Psilocybe mushrooms, it is very likely that these cross-strains will be but of course the Stropharia species mentioned before is not so likely. Some gene-splicing would probably have to be done to acomplish this. I just started this thread to spark people's thinking and yes, colchicine is dangerous, don't use it unless you know what you're doing. You practically have to have a suit like you would see those guys on TV who are dealing with some kind of nuclear waste or biological virus. It might as well be put into this catagory since it requires pretty much the same type of protection.

-PsiliPharm

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #91402 - 01/18/00 03:17 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

An easy way to describe colchicine is "The Poor Man's Genetic Engineer". Seriously, don't f**k around with it.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds