Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more??
    #9932212 - 03/08/09 03:48 AM (15 years, 23 days ago)

I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas.

I believe that all of the Amanita muscarias listed here can be ingested for entheogenic purposes (correct if wrong).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria#Classification

I can list them here as well.
Amanita:
var. muscaria
var. flavivolvata
var. alba
var. formosa
var. guessowii 
var. persicina
var. regalis

Does anybody else have a list of other "active" Amanitas such as Amanita pantherina var. pantherina? It contains ibotenic acid and muscimol too. Which are in this list, List of Entheogens, just at much higher levels in pantherina for example.

So are there any entheogenic muscaria variants that I missed and what about other entheogenic Amanita species?

Thanks everybody!

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemadsplatter
Expirmentational
Male

Loc: U.S.A
Re: I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more?? [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9932505 - 03/08/09 08:16 AM (15 years, 23 days ago)

Are you researching these or are you curious about consumption??  The reason I ask is because as far as I am aware, most Amanitas require some, if not a lot, of preparation to break down the Ibotenic acid into a muscimol, usually through the application of heat or "fleshing" and heating.  If it is not broken down (there is a name for this process but it slips my mind at the moment), then it can lack the desired affect, cause discomfort or even be toxic, though not always to deadly levels.  I have read a statement, that tried to tie most mushroom related deaths to the Amanita family but I am not sure where I read it.  Do be careful whatever your choice!

--------------------
:sun:When I woke up today I couldn't remember yesterday, which is funny, 'cause when I woke up yesterday I couldn't see today.:grin:Madsplatters Grow journal

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more?? (moved) [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9932925 - 03/08/09 11:02 AM (15 years, 23 days ago)

This thread was moved from Advanced Mycology.

Reason:
Off topic in advanced mycology.  Moved to hunting and ID.
RR

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more?? [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #9933012 - 03/08/09 11:35 AM (15 years, 23 days ago)

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more?? [Re: falcon]
    #9933667 - 03/08/09 02:10 PM (15 years, 23 days ago)

http://pluto.njcc.com/~ret/amanita/

go to section Amanita once your at the main page, just scroll down.

Edited by weiliiiiiii (03/08/09 02:11 PM)

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more?? [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #9938123 - 03/09/09 05:48 AM (15 years, 22 days ago)

The muscaria chemotaxonomic group of Amanitas includes muscaria, pantherina, cothurnata, gemmata, flavoconia, parcivolvata, strobiliformis, flavorubescens, frostiana, regalis, velatipes and more..

I've heard parcivolvata can give you an upset stomach..not much research done on some of the others but they contain no amatoxins or phallotoxins, and are not hepatoxic.

Read my journal here..
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9189459

--------------------
Some things can grow without the light.--RJD

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more?? [Re: HerbBaker]
    #9945042 - 03/10/09 10:53 AM (15 years, 21 days ago)

I must say. Awesome links. :thumbup: Thanks everybody.

Now I'm just curious as to which Amanitas one shouldn't prepare any teas/brews with.

I would guess that just adhering to the "mainstream" psychoactive muscarias would be the safest bet.

Anybody else, please feel free...

Thanks

--------------------
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more?? [Re: HerbBaker]
    #9945329 - 03/10/09 11:49 AM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

The muscaria chemotaxonomic group of Amanitas includes muscaria, pantherina, cothurnata, gemmata, flavoconia, parcivolvata, strobiliformis, flavorubescens, frostiana, regalis, velatipes and more..

Are you sure about A. flavoconia and flavorubescens?  They are from section Validae, I had a theory (that I made up one day) that all the muscamol containing species were in section Amanita.

Cactu says some people in his area eat flavoconia for food.

A. strobiliformis is in section Lepidella, is that one muscaroid too?

Quote:

Now I'm just curious as to which Amanitas one shouldn't prepare any teas/brews with.

Unless you are an expert in Amanita you should use only the bright red ones with white spots.  If you are sure you can ID some of the yellow variants with certainty (like the PNW muscaria) you can eat those too but most people have no idea how many different species of Amanita there are and what the species boundaries look  like.

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more?? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9945730 - 03/10/09 01:14 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

I'm searching for my source on on the first two, i'll get back to you. 
Amanita strobiliformis, Ibotenic acid was isolated by Takemoto et al. 1964 from Japanese specimens.

--------------------
Some things can grow without the light.--RJD

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more?? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9948124 - 03/10/09 08:13 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:

Unless you are an expert in Amanita you should use only the bright red ones with white spots.  If you are sure you can ID some of the yellow variants with certainty (like the PNW muscaria) you can eat those too but most people have no idea how many different species of Amanita there are and what the species boundaries look  like.

Yeah I definitely agree Alan. Simply because I've never even consumed the tea, just trying even a Red-capped species for the first time would make me nervous enough to try low, low dosages at first.

They command respect from me.

--------------------
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
    #9951097 - 03/11/09 11:23 AM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Unless you are an expert in Amanita you should use only the bright red ones with white spots.

That might hold true on the west coast but here on the east coast Amanita Muscaria var. formosa (or Fly Amanita) is typically yellow-orange, not red, with white to buff cottony warts with a white to pale yellow stalk/stem is the one to go for. Amanita paracivolvata (or False Fly Agaric) is bright red to orange red with yellowish to cream-colored warts with a pale yellow stalk/stem. It's often misidentified with Fly Amanita.

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: I'm curious to know ALL-KNOWN entheogenic/psychoactive species of Amanitas. Anybody know more?? [Re: gandalf579]
    #10465869 - 06/07/09 01:14 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

99%  of north American muscaria is now called simply Amanita amerimuscaria

Cactu is right about A. flavoconia, ive eaten it a couple times now.

A. falvoconia and frostiana, once believed to be muscaria variants, probably how they got a bad rap

A. flavorubescens also not part of the muscaroid group, may or may not be safe to eat.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract