Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) * 1
    #9906371 - 03/03/09 08:15 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

Guys, lets talk about shaving :smile:

Up until a few months ago shaving was a pain for me. I used to shave with whats called a cartridge razor which is a thing like this most of you shave with.

For me, it was no fun. My beard hairs are exactly the right thickness to get jammed stuck between the blades, occasionally pulling a hair or two, needing to be pried from inbetween the blades after the shave. Shave it did yes, but with the passes needed to get a smooth shave, i'd get major razor burn :blush: and irritation. And this with blade cartridges costing between 2-3 dollars a pop.
It was a chore to get over with, and a costly one at that.

I was cleaning up all sorts of stuff when I found my fathers old Safety Razor. A Safety Razor is the oldfashioned kind of razor that uses common double-edged razor blades. Here's one:

So I thought, why not? I cleaned it and bought a pack of double-edged razor blades, then got online to get educated before I flayed my face.

Its a completely different kind of shaving, the head of the razor slides over your lathered cheek and by its own weight snips the hairs, you actually hear them being cut. Even after my first time, and at the expense of just one drop of blood, I was smoother than ever after a single pass. I had a bit of a beard going for my first shave with dads razor, and a single light brush left a completely clear path behind it.

Unlike cartridge razors, Safety Razors require skill and an attentive shave. No sloppy jobs, no putting pressure on the blade or you will cut yourself. Skill is required. If you pick up the skill, its not just a fun shave, its a cheap one!

Lets say you use 1-2 razor cartridges a week. Oftentimes that boils down to $100-$300 a year on cartridges alone.

200 cartridges would cost you $400-$600
200 double edged razor blades cost me $20

I'd get 3-4 shaves out of a cartridge. I easily get 3-8 shaves out of a DE blade. I use less $0.10 blades than I used $2.50 cartridges - AND have a shave thats fun instead of a chore. A $20 box lasts for years.

At what point did we trade in a comfortable, cheap close shave that takes some skill, for a quick expensive shave with a high tech plastic rake?

Like I said, I educated myself online.

There are forums like badgerandblade.com and shavemyface.com about how to shave with Safety Razors ("DE razors") and even Straight Razors, which brands to use and which to avoid, and there are very good tutorials on YouTube.

If you're interested, read up on it. Particularly good safety razors to start with (theres much difference among them) would be a Merkur 34C (aka Merkur HD/Heavy Duty) if you buy new, and a Gillette Tech if you buy second hand (think eBay). A Safety Razor, especially new, is an investment. If you buy a good one and take good care of it, it will be a tool you use for decades.

The Merkur 34C (pictured above) is by far the most recommended one to buy, often used with Derby blades. Its the combination I use and its great.

Also, switch from foam/gel from a can to using a brush and shaving soap with good technique for the full effect.

This I wanted to share, I now leave the thread to general shaving discussion :smile:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (03/03/09 08:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Asante]
    #9906382 - 03/03/09 08:17 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

Stoners and razor blades...

:popcorn:

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Offlinetpihkal
Male

Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Asante]
    #9906399 - 03/03/09 08:19 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

I was just thinking after shaving today how much my mach3 pisses me off sometimes, and how many I seem to go through, thx for the post, I may just have to give a DE safety razor a try.  I think I may even have one somewhere.

--------------------

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male

Loc: Cypress Creek
    #9906402 - 03/03/09 08:20 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

I shave maybe every other day

and I use those cartridges for a very long time...maybe 3 weeks or so

plus I can barely see in the mirror after I take a shower, soo I think I'd kill myself accidentally

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#9906411 - 03/03/09 08:21 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

I always had the worst razor burn problems shaving so I was recommended to try shaving like that. I did it for several months and when it worked, it worked well... But when it didn't work, I bled like it was my job.

I'm not exactly sure how to shave with them. Do you losen the handle and push up on the back part of the razor to lift the front blade off the bottom metal piece? That's what I was doing. I'd rather just get cheap ass single blade plastic bic razors than deal with the hassle of being old school. Perhaps that's just because I've never seen how it's supposed to be done.

Offlineunretarded
Tick and poisionoak collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Boom] * 1
    #9906440 - 03/03/09 08:25 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

Remember all those stop bleed sticks and fancy round face patches you dont see that often...............people that had toilet paper stuck on 6 spots all over the face,remember dad yelling...MOTHER FUKER at the top of his lungs in the bathroom a 5:30 A.M.

:hotidea:

--------------------
I love our leaders and the feds ,they are great people and the laws they make help us!:rofl2:

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

Loc: East
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: unretarded]
    #9906504 - 03/03/09 08:31 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

Yeah thats just fuckin dangerous. Telling people on these forums they should buy double edged razors n shit.not good.haha

--------------------
Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol - or THC, the active chemical in weed - is in the same family of organic molecules as anandamide, a chemical found in the human brain that is associated with feelings of bliss such as those released during sex. So on a molecular level, getting laid and getting stoned aren't too different.

My Growlog with Redboy,Amazon,and Brazilian

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Gumby]
    #9906533 - 03/03/09 08:35 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

It depends on the type you have. With my trusty Merkur it works like this:

When it "didnt work" for you you probably either didnt lather up well or used a blade for too long. A sharp blade in able hands is less likely to cut than a dulled one.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinenookjohn
Nooker
 User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
    #9906765 - 03/03/09 09:01 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

I think there was another post on shaving recently.

I have very thick whiskers and electric razors and most disposables irritate the hell out of my skin.

My solution was to buy "sensitive skin" single blade razors.  They come 12 in a package and each package costs a dollar.  Frankly, I don't think multiple blade disposables work very well on anyone, because of the huge number of sensitive skin lotions and creams.

I throw away my single blade razor after a single use and only need to use the cheapest 59 cent shaving cream which lasts for quite a few shaves.  No sense in sacrificing your skin with a dull blade to save a nickel.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/174/are-twin-blade-razors-better-than-single-blade-ones

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #9906791 - 03/03/09 09:04 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

I use an electric razor, so I don't use any shaving cream.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineCokedUpHobit64
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Learyfan] * 5
    #9906839 - 03/03/09 09:11 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

I love my beard, no more shaving for me, just the occasional scissor trim.

Beards.

They grow on you.

--------------------
So good to see you, I've missed you so much.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: CokedUpHobit64] * 2
    #9906866 - 03/03/09 09:15 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

I have a set of barber's clippers and rock the five-o-clock shadow all the time...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleMoniker_Mike
Mycophile
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9907000 - 03/03/09 09:33 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

I use the same kind of razor, I had no clue it was considered a "Safety Razor" though, it definitely gives a nice close shave!

--------------------
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours. - HST

MONIKER COLLECTIVE SHIRTS AVAILABLE VIA MYSOTI.COM

Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9907061 - 03/03/09 09:41 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

I use an old fashion straight razor with Gillette Fusion Hydra Gel. The best cleanest shave I've ever had and you never have to buy replacement blades. Warning though, if you have shaky hands, don't use one because you'll slice your own throat if you're not careful!

Offlinecitricacidx
FunGuy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: GA
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: gandalf579]
    #9907095 - 03/03/09 09:45 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

my razor has eleventy blades!

But for reals, I've got one of those ones with 5 blades, a single blade by itself on the reverse, and then it has an electric beard trimmer on the bottom. it's :awesome:

--------------------

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: gandalf579]
    #9907161 - 03/03/09 09:53 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

My buddy has a straight razor and has been trying to convince me it's the way to go.  I usually keep a goatee or 3-4 days growth on my face though so I'm not sure it'd work well for me

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#9907249 - 03/03/09 10:04 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

I had no clue it was considered a "Safety Razor" though

Its a Safety razor in relation to:

Quote:

an old fashion straight razor

I won't ever use a straight razor, I think its too dangerous. If your cat decides to claw in your leg for attention, the tip of your nose floats in the sink :samurai:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
Re: How shaving got fun again (and how to s(h)ave hundreds of dollars a year off your expenses!) [Re: Jadian]
    #9907257 - 03/03/09 10:05 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

I too keep a goatee and it works great at getting extremely close without messing it up. When I used to use a disposable razor I would always end up with stubble around the edges of my goatee. But with a straight razor, I can get right up to the edge of it and get a nice clean edge using the very end of the blade. Works great as long as you know the right way to sharpen it.

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

#9907352 - 03/03/09 10:21 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

what a amazing thread you made

--------------------

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
    #9907626 - 03/03/09 11:03 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

Intriguing... :strokebeard:

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals