Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Shaping Sawdust Blocks??
    #9813012 - 02/17/09 08:13 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You know, it's occurred to me recently that I may be packing my blocks too much.  How loose should the mixture be, depending on the species?

I've been making up a few bags of pioppino sawdust spawn for an outdoor bed, and I've noticed that colonization is much faster with bags I knead and shake.  I need to reduce the plenum in the top of the bag to accomplish this.  Does anyone here do that with fruiting substrates?

Finally... I found more oysters in my neighborhood after a recent rain, but the fruits were too far gone to to take a print of.  I did dig some mycelium covered splinters from the stump.  Will I have fewer contamination issues trying to clone tissue from this?  All of my previous attempts failed. :frown:

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: Shaping Sawdust Blocks?? [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9815360 - 02/17/09 04:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i'm just looking into making blocks for shiitake for the first time. good question i didn't think of that but i guess i'm about to learn a lot i hadn't thought of.

i just took some mycelium from a block i'm drying out from a kit i grew 1 flush on so far. i'm growing it out on agar. only 1 day so far but it seems like a perfectly viable source. i hike and camp a bit and i am looking to take cultures from wild finds and figured on taking a bit of myc rather than disturb fruits especially for rare finds. i would think it would be better anyway since it's already growing myc instead of spores or fruit, ya know?

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Shaping Sawdust Blocks?? [Re: artizen]
    #9816248 - 02/17/09 07:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I don't pack substrate blocks at all.  They get nothing besides gravity.

To clone an oyster, I'd wait until spring and get tissue from a rapidly growing cluster.  You want to clone as the mycelium is very rapidly dividing cells, not after the fruit is spent and rotting.  By cloning from a cluster rather than an individual fruit, you'll get future flushes that tend to form large clusters.  You should be able to return to that same tree.  I pick oysters off the same trees, year after year, just like hericium.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBIG_HEPA
Lost in a petri dish
Male

Loc: uganda
    #9818525 - 02/18/09 05:47 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i always fluffy my blocks after they come out of the pc. the pc seems to really compact them.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Shaping Sawdust Blocks?? [Re: BIG_HEPA]
    #9818624 - 02/18/09 07:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think many of my problems with blocks are related to packing the sawdust down.  It should have occurred to me when I got questions about orange spots on my blocks. (From sawdust pressed against the bag.)  Hey, maybe now the bottoms of my blocks will colonize before I start getting pins! :grin:

Regarding the oysters:

The oysters I found here were growing on a partially ground tree stump next to someone's driveway, with only enough of a vertical surface for two or three fruits to form.  I don't think I'll get much of a cluster from it.  I haven't been able to find oysters anywhere else and it's driving me nuts.  The weather should be perfect for them now.

When I was out in California a few weeks back I saw a huge oyster tree, easily 30' tall (I think) and completely covered in oysters.  I've never seen anything like that in Texas!  I got a print from one of those oysters that I'm isolating strains from now.  What are the odds that this one is genetically compatible with the oysters I've found here?  I'd kind of like to try some of the strain hybridization experiments Denger's been getting into.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9819675 - 02/18/09 12:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not usually one to discourage experimentation, but if you're having issues with cloning an oyster, I'd hold off on attempting hybridization techniques.  Make sure you've got your agar skills perfected and that you're not having issues with a comprimised sterile area before working with trials of that sort. 

If all you need is a culture of an oyster, PM me.

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

Re: Shaping Sawdust Blocks?? [Re: MycoAu]
    #9820249 - 02/18/09 02:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Paresthesia,
what kind of oysters are you looking for? maybe i can help.
please pm me if interested.

:bandana:
houdinihar

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
Re: Shaping Sawdust Blocks?? [Re: houdinihar]
    #9820282 - 02/18/09 02:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've got some Phoenix ready, sitting here as well :strokebeard:

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Shaping Sawdust Blocks?? [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9821495 - 02/18/09 05:22 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No no no!  I have tons of oyster cultures!  I've been growing blue, phoenix and elm oysters for a while now using commercial cultures.

Most of the growing I do is outdoors, so I want to move towards growing species and strains that are indigenous to my area.  I'm hoping this can be a good sales angle once I start producing enough to sell.  Right now I'm just at the, 'oyster mushrooms again?' stage of growing. :grin:

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck