Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Fare Thee Well.
All your votes are belong to us: "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. WINNERS ANNOUNCED
    #9807215 - 02/16/09 10:25 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

WE HAVE OUR WINNERS!!!!!!

GRANDEST PRIZE WINNER: c1dh3d, with "Spider Eggs"
GRAND PRIZE WINNER:      electrics, with "hospitalization"
Honorable Mention:              chucklehead, with um, every trick in the book?
I wish chuck had gotten in the contest in time, it was a perfect post and would have been my #1 choice,
so I'm sending him a couple spore syringes from Ralph once they get to me.  F4 special, ftw!

How about a big round of five shroom rates for the people who actually had the balls to admit they were beginners once too.  You guys who entered really gave us some laughs.

Also thanks to Roadkill and the other forum mods for bending the rules a tad to let this contest be in here instead of the marketplace :thumbup:

******************************************************************************************************************************************

I've seen a lot of posts in the cult forum that have people who have never grown before trying to cut all sorts of corners, and coming up with oh, LCs teeming with jellyfish, for example.  The purpose of this contest is to show that growing mushrooms is pretty easy, if you just FOLLOW THE DAMN RULES. :lol:

I'm hoping other successful cultivators might offer up some prizes as well.
I'm going to send at least one winner everything they need except a spore syringe to start growing correctly.  I have concerns about sending the winner cult supplies and spores for obvious reasons.

EDIT: German Kahuna is adding a P. cubensis Na Muang spore print
          Ledd is adding an a+ (print?)
thanks guys!

I'll send the winner 4 pints of wbs, sterile and ready to noc, a brick of coir, some perlite, a plastic tub already drilled to be a shotgun FC, a couple containers for fruiting in, a spray bottle, and anything else I can fit in the box that you might need.  You won't have to buy anything to get started if you have some spores.

TO WIN THE CONTEST:

Post your most colossal failure.  Pics will help you win.

-then-

explain what you think went wrong, and what motivated you to try it the way you tried it.  ex. "I could not afford any mason jars so I tried using a drinking glass with tyvek over it.  I think it contamed because I forgot to cover the tyvek with foil and it got wet."

-finally-

explain how you will, or link to the tek you will use to, spawn your wbs to coir.

Entries close Feb. 27th, I'll post a poll here on the 28th, we'll vote on who wins, and go from there.  I really hope the winner will post a grow log of how the supplies are being used but just letting us know if it helped or not is fine.

Edited by Srirachi (03/01/09 09:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineexzile
PROFESSOR OF MYCOLOGY
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "I don't know WTF I'm Doing" contest. [Re: Srirachi]
    #9807440 - 02/16/09 11:14 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

guess i cant get into this comp. but this should be a funny one haha :rabble:

--------------------
Something something

InvisibleJean-Luc Picard
I only wish i was this good!
 User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico, USA Flag
Re: The Official "I don't know WTF I'm Doing" contest. [Re: exzile]
    #9807454 - 02/16/09 11:17 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I wonder how many people have the balls to post their worst failures...I personally have never taken pics of my failures...though there have been more failures that successes :blush:

--------------------
The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you - NDT

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Re: The Official "I don't know WTF I'm Doing" contest. [Re: exzile]
    #9807570 - 02/16/09 11:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well, it is a chance for someone who doesn't think they can afford to buy the basic supplies to get a turn key operation, so hopefully, someone will think it is worth entering.

I'm hoping that people will give them a break for admitting they messed up and learned from it.  Maybe the thread title is too harsh. :lol:

OfflineWapakz
1000 Needles
 User Gallery

#9807911 - 02/16/09 12:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hahaha, this is great. Every time you munch down on your home-grown mushies you're going to be reminded you got the spores by your own tremendous failure as a cultivator.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9808056 - 02/16/09 01:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Great idea! I'll pitch in and send the winner a P. cubensis Na Muang spore print that's supposed to be used for microscopy purposes only, of course.
So that's actually going to be ALL a beginner will ever need to grow edibles and do microscopy of Psilocybe spores.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Innerspace Flag
Re: The Official "I don't know WTF I'm Doing" contest. [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9808428 - 02/16/09 02:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'll throw in an a+ for microscopy only :thumbup:

--------------------
We mean nothing we do not mean to do.

OfflineAngus
Trailer Park Supervisor
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "I don't know WTF I'm Doing" contest. [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9809483 - 02/16/09 05:28 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Minus a microscope :wink:

OfflineRasJeph
RC Hoarder
Male

Re: The Official "I don't know WTF I'm Doing" contest. [Re: Angus]
    #9809739 - 02/16/09 06:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Haha, I have some pretty significant fuck ups I could post...but I like to think that I have a pretty good hold on growing now.

Someone else could use this more than I could, I'm sure :tripping:

Awesome contest man.

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Re: The Official "I don't know WTF I'm Doing" contest. [Re: Angus]
    #9809742 - 02/16/09 06:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I just realized that many of the people who could benefit from this the most, probably can't see the Marketplace.  I'm going to ask if it can be moved to MC.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #9812860 - 02/17/09 07:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Leary_Ban said:

I just realized that many of the people who could benefit from this the most, probably can't see the Marketplace.  I'm going to ask if it can be moved to MC.

no problem.

I'll just move it for ya!~

:smile:

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. (moved) [Re: Srirachi]
    #9812866 - 02/17/09 07:30 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This thread was moved from Marketplace.

Reason:
moved at users request.

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. (moved) [Re: Roadkill]
    #9812905 - 02/17/09 07:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ok lets see those mistake photos come rolling in!

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. (moved) [Re: Ledd]
    #9813027 - 02/17/09 08:19 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Im on my first batch of PFcakes (Z-strain) and I havent messed that up. got first pins on 14th.

so I started a monotub and just cased that yesterday. has couple of pins.

and I started a small tray. still colonizing.

all first attempts at growing anything.  0 contams.

if you can read from left to right and from the top down(follow instructions) you should be successful.

I would luv to see massive failures because of noob shortcuts.

I didnt or havent had the balls to cut corners or "try" anything not already proven to work in a reliable tek.  I wanted to be successful on my first try. 

this should be good.:thumbup:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. (moved) [Re: Ledd]
    #9813037 - 02/17/09 08:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I wish I had a pic o me and my mates almost epic alcohol lamp fail. That wouuld be ppricerless. Me working in the glovebox while my mate lghts a fireball!

Luckily everything was ok. And work continued with a lighter.

Morel of story. Buy an alcohol lamp. Or atleast don't make the hole large and spil some alc while trying to get the wick wet.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Srirachi]
    #9813046 - 02/17/09 08:27 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Short version: Started with a couple fungus gnats, ended up with my refrigerator full of maggots and gnats all over my house.

Long Version:

I was spawning to 2 monotubs. I didn't have AC so the temp in my house was around 80+. I pasteurized the straw/poo in a plastic bag submersed in water but apparently it had a leak. I was too lazy and poor to buy more poo/straw and do it again so I just poked holes in the bag to let it drain a bit.

I spawned to it but it was too wet to fully colonize so there was a small dirt/mud patch in the center. I noticed 1-2 fungus gnats in the tubs (I found a hole that wasn't covered). I hoped it would fruit before they got bad. A day or so later I had 8-10 gnats. I decided to vacuum them out. Didn't work. Apparently they laid eggs in the muddy patch. A few days later the tubs were filled with gnats and maggots were crawling on the plastic that covered them.

I was too cheap to go buy new tubs so I wanted to keep the tubs. I thought it would be a good idea to kill them off before I opened it to avoid them getting everywhere. I put both tubs under a plastic sheet and knocked the polyfill out of the holes. I then sprayed bug spray inside the tubs and all under the plastic. This didn't kill them and if anything made it more humid and a better environment for them to breed in. I finally tossed everything but not before a couple got out and started flying around my house.

About that time my electric went out for a few days due to a wind storm. I cleaned all my old food out of the my fridge before I went to stay with a friend. I left some condiments and a can of biscuits in there thinking I could just toss them when I got back. I left the door of the fridge cracked to help vent it. Apparently when it gets hot biscuits explode and get all over the fridge. It also happens that fungus gnats LOVE LOVE LOVE to lay eggs in warm biscuit dough.

I came back a couple days later to a fridge full of maggots.

Moral of the story, don't be cheap, toss anything that gets infested/contam'd.

Invisiblexdzt
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. (moved) [Re: 13shrooms]
    #9813091 - 02/17/09 08:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No one's posted a failure yet? Well, I guess I'll get the ball rolling (no pix, sorry):

On my first and only attempt at growing, I tried modifying the PF tek. I prepared the BRF mix in a bowl and put it into 8 drinking glasses which I covered with aluminium foil. I "sterilized" these by sitting them in a rice cooker for 20 minutes. I then waited a week and inoculated. I didn't use alcohol to wipe during inoculation, though I did remember to flame the tip after about my fourth jar. Bear in mind that all this work was done in the open in my bedroom in a house where mould grows everywhere... the walls, on metal, everywhere! You can attack the mould, but it always comes back.

Well, sure enough 8/8 jars eventually showed green nastiness, though there was some myc. I tossed the contents under a shrub in the garden... nothing came of it.

I realised that I had wasted my first syringe at this point, and was determined to fully utilize my second so I tried to make a LC. I took empty cumin and paprika containers (of all things! why? I don't rightly know) and put honey and water in them. I microwaved it as per some [probably bad] advice somewhere on this site, and then inoculated them with my second syringe. Again out in the open and without alcohol. I kept these spice container LCs in a warm place in the open, with nothing protecting them from contamination except some melted saran wrap (melted thanks to the nuking) and the little black tops of the spice containers. Some white snotty stuff developed, but to this day I can't be certain whether or not it was mushroom mycelium thanks to my final grand finale of a mess-up:

I decided in a fit of noobishness that the *REAL* reason my glasses got contaminated was that the PF tek sucked (not that I didn't follow it exactly or use sterile techniques) so I read up a bit and decided that honey-coated puffed wheat cereal would be a much better substance than BRF and verm. So I poured some of my cereal into a tupperware container with some water and microwaved it. It congealed into a carmelized mess, but that didn't discourage me. I 'noc'd that cereal up with the white snot from my cumin-flavoured LC and stuck it in a warm, open place. Well, sure enough it grew a lovely green mould which I promptly disposed of.

(okay I lied, there is one pic :grin:)

After all that, two syringes and a small investment of time and money, I decided I would hold off any further attempts until I was prepared mentally and financially to do things right.

Well, that's my story! I can't wait to hear some others! :smile:

I'm sure there's someone who's catastrophic failure is more deserving of winning this contest, but I will say this: RTFM and stick to it and cleanliness may be next to godliness, but sterility is godliness.

Edited by xdzt (02/17/09 09:02 AM)

Offlinereality_check
Demilitarized Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. (moved) [Re: xdzt]
    #9813299 - 02/17/09 09:42 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

this thread has the potential to become wicked badass. great idea Leary_ban.

Keep the fuck-ups coming guys!!

:congrats:  :popcorn:  :congrats:

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Smushroom]
    #9813317 - 02/17/09 09:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Great fuckup! Epic fail. :thumbup:
Maggots in project. LOL.
Leary_Ban, do we get to have a poll in the end or do you make the decision?

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9813392 - 02/17/09 10:12 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

poll, most definitely! :thumbup:

Edited by Srirachi (02/17/09 06:59 PM)

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

#9816130 - 02/17/09 07:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:bump:

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #9818623 - 02/18/09 07:14 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

bump  :smile:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: 13shrooms]
    #9818635 - 02/18/09 07:29 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

well i havent had too much bad luck when it comes to contam
but when it comes to agar thats a different story
heres a pic

thats something you dont wanna see
btw i never opened this dish
i just tossed it

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9818639 - 02/18/09 07:34 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

EDIT: Trich. Nice. I get mostly bacteria.

--------------------

Edited by German Kahuna (02/18/09 07:41 AM)

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9818643 - 02/18/09 07:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i get bacteria too
this is the first dish i have had with green
so i decided to take a pic

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9818700 - 02/18/09 08:04 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Shit, where do I start?
I think I've done it all...

In my early days cultivating I bought a rubber maid and cutt some arm holes into it and used a heavy piece of glass as the lid, prior to doing any work I poured 80% Methanol inside and wiped it all around, coating every inch of surface area, then I placed in my jars/syringes and gave it a heavy spray with oust (I was new and did not know you do not need all that junk for a glovebox) :wink:

so....I stuffed the arm holes with paper towels and let everything sit for about 10 minutes while I went and smoked a joint, came back ready to go, wiped my arms down with the methanol and went to work....Since I was stoned out of my head I was not thinking clearly when I went to flame sterilize my syringe....As soon as I rolled back the igniter I thought "Oh fuck!" followed by a big WHooooooooSH! as my glovebox and everything got hit with a flash fire....

So, In a panic I pulled my arms out and began checking them just to realize my one arm was on fire still from standing methanol from wiping them down prior to doing work, so In haist I went to pat out the fire on my  one arm and caught the other one on fire in the process....pffft, luckily the methanol burnt out before causing any serious arm injuries...

Having hairy arms I guess did not help much either heh

--------------------

Edited by HybridprX (02/18/09 08:05 AM)

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: HybridprX]
    #9818722 - 02/18/09 08:10 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
    #9818729 - 02/18/09 08:14 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:lol:

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9818748 - 02/18/09 08:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:rofl2: i love stories like that
i know what was going to happen at"prior to doing any work
but i had to keep reading,i havent done this yet
but im workin on it:lol:

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

#9819569 - 02/18/09 11:56 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm going to have to clean my monitor now... :ilold:

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

#9819665 - 02/18/09 12:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

HybridprX said:
Shit, where do I start?
I think I've done it all...

In my early days cultivating I bought a rubber maid and cutt some arm holes into it and used a heavy piece of glass as the lid, prior to doing any work I poured 80% Methanol inside and wiped it all around, coating every inch of surface area, then I placed in my jars/syringes and gave it a heavy spray with oust (I was new and did not know you do not need all that junk for a glovebox) :wink:

so....I stuffed the arm holes with paper towels and let everything sit for about 10 minutes while I went and smoked a joint, came back ready to go, wiped my arms down with the methanol and went to work....Since I was stoned out of my head I was not thinking clearly when I went to flame sterilize my syringe....As soon as I rolled back the igniter I thought "Oh fuck!" followed by a big WHooooooooSH! as my glovebox and everything got hit with a flash fire....

So, In a panic I pulled my arms out and began checking them just to realize my one arm was on fire still from standing methanol from wiping them down prior to doing work, so In haist I went to pat out the fire on my  one arm and caught the other one on fire in the process....pffft, luckily the methanol burnt out before causing any serious arm injuries...

Having hairy arms I guess did not help much either heh

Didnt you have pictures of that glove box along time ago?If so you should post them again to show the noobs of what not to do,,lol

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7803673#7803673
I only grow edibles.Any info I give ONLY applies to gourmet mushrooms.

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: nw_shroomy]
    #9819685 - 02/18/09 12:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i sure hope you werent actually using methanol...

--------------------
I'm Just Making This All Up.
Grains In Glass Jars With Professional Filters FTW.
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Fan dry, Desiccant storage FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Mushroom Cloud - Dirtball

Invisibleazshroomer
no1

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: RedDevil420]
    #9819874 - 02/18/09 12:55 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I just had my "fuuuuuuck" moment yesterday.
I put some jars into the oven to incubate at its warm 80 degree environment.
However that became a raging 350 degree environment when a roomie forgot about the jars and prepped the oven for brownies with my jars still in it :frown:

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: azshroomer]
    #9819887 - 02/18/09 12:57 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So you want us to send the growing equipment to your roomie? :wink:

--------------------

Offlinetr8orjohn
Waiting for an airplane...
Male

Loc: Down in...Mexico
    #9819974 - 02/18/09 01:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This happened recently, and I am not sure how "epic" it is, but it is something...

First grow, making up 4 BRF cakes in 1 cup Ziploc containers (local supermarket blows...), and using a decent sized broth pot to steam sterilize for 90 minutes. Read briefly that you should put a little bit of water in the bottom, and some kind of spacer to keep the jars off the bottom. Now I "know" that so long as waters in the pot, the temperature of the bottom of the pot wont get to beyond 100C! See, I'm a super smart chemist...but just to be certain, I stack three of them up and place them on a jar lid in the pot, and then sit down to watch Cops for 90 minutes (its alot longer then I thought....)

Everything goes perfect with those three, pop them out and set them down to cool and stick the fourth one in. Since everything went so well with the first three, there is *no way* I can fuck up the fourth one, right? This is where the idiot in me decides to go smoke a cig, shouldn't take long, and the water is simmering along in my huge broth pot. Come back upstairs to note an odd smell of burnt chinese food...and smoke.

See, boiling water rattles...and sometimes it rattles your plastic container off of its jar stand...and then sometimes you go downstairs and all the water boils out...and then when your an idiot and open the pot without turning out the flame, sometimes your plastic catches fire. :omgawesome:

Lesson Learned: A watched pot will boil, but rarely catches fire. There is usually a reason people put things in teks. Also, Cops is a shitty shitty show to watch while making cakes.

-jon

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microbiologist turned mycologist, but still amateur enough to enjoy the occasional surprise...

My Trade List

Terry M said:
Looking for rules that other people use successfully. Sterile procedure is just a set of rules that work.

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #9819975 - 02/18/09 01:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've since deleted those pictures, thats going back a couple of years.

But I could have swore I still had pictures of my burnt arm hairs laying around somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.

Cant find the pictures but heres the link to the thread.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6340565#6340565

--------------------

Edited by HybridprX (02/18/09 01:20 PM)

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: HybridprX] * 1
    #9820117 - 02/18/09 01:55 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I was 16 and i bought my first mushroom kit from homestead books... i pressure cook my agar and put it in the plates. Let it cool then innoc with the spores. I wait a month and it fully colonized.... i got impatient so ....i just ate the agar from 4 dishes....needless to say nothing happened. :dunce:

Edited by Tomandjerry58 (02/18/09 01:57 PM)

InvisibleMushHunter08
Mycological Pupil
Male

Loc: B.F.E
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #9820156 - 02/18/09 02:01 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The stupidest thing I ever did was throw out a cake that I thought had Trichoderma and found out after that first grow it wasn't anything more then just normal bruising. :banghead:

--------------------
"The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom...for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough."
-William Blake-

The most simple method of growing mushrooms:
www.mushroomvideos.com

MultiSync's lazy bastard print/syringe guide

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: MushHunter08]
    #9820176 - 02/18/09 02:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The stupidest thing Ive done is trash my complete grow because of tripping and having paranoia.

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7803673#7803673
I only grow edibles.Any info I give ONLY applies to gourmet mushrooms.

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #9820275 - 02/18/09 02:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

preschooler said:
I was 16 and i bought my first mushroom kit from homestead books... i pressure cook my agar and put it in the plates. Let it cool then innoc with the spores. I wait a month and it fully colonized.... i got impatient so ....i just ate the agar from 4 dishes....needless to say nothing happened. :dunce:

I nearly choked on my granola bar when I read that. :rofl2:

--------------------

OfflineLennyk
D-O-L-E Dole
Male

Loc: Near the Ground
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9820401 - 02/18/09 02:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Some misc fuck ups, in which I knew better, yet somehow messed up royally:

I let the PC run dry trying to PC at 17 psi, little did I think how much water it was losing. 2 bags completely just bust open and spray seed everywhere. The other two has their own problems, I had attempted to be cheap and planned to reuse the bag, the opening I gave to do so wasn't very clear cut and the one didn't actually get the spores inside the bag, but inside dripped out later and the hole in the bag led to a massive bag of trich. I went to dump it outside and upon the bag opening a big cloud of green matter entered the air. The other bag just stalled as the solution went directly in the center and didn't germinate.

A first attempt at coir failed bad because I thought I could just be ghetto and dump the brick in, let it go on the stove and drain it for like five minutes. Worst part of the grow was releasing the spawn was really bad and just crumbled (I was using some cakes) into dust, but I tried anyway. I also didn't realize not to add spawn on top, and within a few short days I had a massive trich farm.

--------------------
Stealth Lighting 
Cubensis benefits beyond cluster headaches
Mush Extract! (You can even use Vinegar!)
Flame your needle in style with a sexy mini butane torch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What happens in the Romper Room, stays in the Romper Room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts are written by the sex deprived helper monkey Curious George.

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL/MO/FL/TX/HI/OR
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Lennyk]
    #9820934 - 02/18/09 04:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

hmmmmm

the other day i had some wbs trays going and wasnt to pleased with the way the first tray fruited, so i broke them up and spawned them to some hpoo/straw/verm/coffee

the only thing warm enough to colonize in IS my FC...

so i stuck them back in there to colonize.

a few days later i opened the lid on one to check it out.

it was GREEN, DRY, and DUSTY

as soon as i opened it, it sucked EVERY bit of moisture/humidity from the air in the FC and burped out a huge green cloud of dust.

was not a happy day.

havent done anything yet about it:lol:

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

"The Downfall of Mankind; is Believing He Has Limitations."

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: just me]
    #9829447 - 02/19/09 08:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ouch... :lol: I think I'd just flame sterilize the FC in my fire pit :lol:

ok, honestly, this post was just a :bump:

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9831806 - 02/20/09 07:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
    #9831876 - 02/20/09 07:35 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

O.K well I will try and post pics to this as soon as I dig up my garden and find some old mycelium. It was one of my first grows and I followed the pf-tek to the letter except I really packed in the brf/verm. so after inoculation it took forever to colonize at the same time I had been reading about mycobags and how easy they were so I ordered one. I knocked everything up and things were colonizing slowly. well I thought now I'm going to need a fc well I thought I've got some plexi glass I'll make one. I made what I thought was beautiful fruiting chamber caulked the sides and the bottom!! What I didn't figure on was I ran out of plexi glass on the four sides so I used a piece of cabinet wood for my bottom. I put my perlite in early hoping to build up my humidity and then it was birth time I was so excited I even had primordia. So after about a week in my FC I noticed some black color leaking up through my perlite I had no Idea what it was and at the time thought things would be fine. Well soon after my cakes started to pin the black mold had reached the surface so I tried to scoop it out. To make a long story short all my cakes were infested with this mold so I had to bury my cakes out in my garden not to mention as I was dumping out the perlite the clouds of this mold were being released into the air. I tried not to breathe any but wound up very sick and even in the hospital!!! The mold had grown from my bottom wood layer throughout everything I went to wall mart a week later and found rubermaid see through tubs for 7$ that's it 7$ would have saved me my grow, my day at the hospital and my pride. Anyway after that I found this web site and luckily haven't made any mistakes since... except for a few cases of verticillium during the winter months when the air barely circulates through my house I've been lucky. But I will always think about the 12 cakes I tossed and the awfull feel of being plagued by black mold!!! I know this isn't the best contam story but it's a true one.Plus now if I see anything wrong with something I'm so scared it goes right to the garden I just dumped 2 casings this past week cause they smelled funny!!!!They were probably fine!!i'm ruined for life.....e

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: electrics]
    #9832638 - 02/20/09 11:03 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

o0o0o0o0o I missed this thread, I have a good one!

Warning - This may make you vomit!

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets
The Capabilities Of A Shotgun FC

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Jitsu]
    #9832648 - 02/20/09 11:05 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:eek:WTF is that
ewwww gross

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9832806 - 02/20/09 11:30 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Good lord...

Did you forget it under the heater for a few weeks? How do plates get so overgrown like that?

--------------------

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9832840 - 02/20/09 11:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mephistophelian said:
Good lord...

Did you forget it under the heater for a few weeks? How do plates get so overgrown like that?

This plate was from a very long time ago, I just kept it for research :laugh:

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Jitsu]
    #9833231 - 02/20/09 12:34 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

*taps nose*

Of course of course :lol:

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #9833467 - 02/20/09 01:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

One time I just plain failed at making a Martha. I had just done the PF tek with a PMP and for some reason I couldn't get my Martha working just right. There were extremely few pins from the grow for a few reasons (mostly humidity). However the one thing that did have pins on it was a casing I had made inside of a bowl (normal white bowl) I flipped the casing over and the whole bottom side looked like this.

I moved onto monotubs but I'm sticking to my belief that noobies shouldn't do Marthas.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Edited by ScavengerType (02/20/09 01:09 PM)

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9833507 - 02/20/09 01:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well, it's nothing catastrophic, but I made an LC for the first time, knocked up 4 pint jars and waited a few days.

Day 3 was showing decent growth at all the innoc points, so I left the jars there and visited my girlfriend... came back a few days later to find two pints of trich spores.

What went wrong was a sugar based LC. It was started from a tissue sample and I didn't use a GB/Hood. Everything else was quite sterile.

Now I use RR's method to soak rye and spawn to monotubs of coffee/coir/verm/gypsum(if I have it)/anything else I have.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Shroominit]
    #9834074 - 02/20/09 02:55 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Now I use RR's method to soak rye and spawn to monotubs of coffee/coir/verm/gypsum

this is why I dont have any stories.

thanx RR, Spongiform and Large_Dose :respect:

--------------------

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9834199 - 02/20/09 03:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:
Quote:

Now I use RR's method to soak rye and spawn to monotubs of coffee/coir/verm/gypsum

this is why I dont have any stories.

thanx RR, Spongiform and Large_Dose :respect:

I'd like to add to mine, I also managed to grow a ~100lb tub of trich by leaving coffee grounds in a tub that got rained on. I wasn't cultivating with the coffee at the time, so I don't count it as a failure, just stupidity. 100lbs of trich has to be useful for something though, right?

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
    #9834390 - 02/20/09 04:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I do not want to be entered in the contest, but quickly here's a few fuck-ups. (nice job for posting this... not many people drop by the contams forum. Why should you when things are going good?

-Beginner, trying to save a buck by making my own spore syringes. Before LC was so widely used.

-Managed to totally fuck up some of Agar's Myco Nitro

-Every year i get Mushroom Gnats. This year they actually colonized the sticky fly trap

Boy did I ever mess things up, Basically I strayed from the tek, and wished I hadn't.

-I was plagued for 8 months with lipstick mold, where all my jars looked like this. Needless to say nothing fruited, and everything smelled like fermenting apples. (stunk up my whole house)

Prime example of "Learning from Experience" or "Baptism by Fire"

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Oatman2000]
    #9834575 - 02/20/09 04:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

that fist pic takes the cake :lol:

and that fly trap is awesome.

ive started putting the sticky plants in my FC's :lol:

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

#9834987 - 02/20/09 06:21 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Wow, where do I begin...

I wish I hadn't thrown out all of my contaminated shit from the summer 2 weeks ago..

I had at least 6 bad LC's

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

OfflineWonkierBubble
Stranger

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: neopet nub]
    #9835122 - 02/20/09 06:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

One time I tried the Plastic tek with the minirounds used for pcing.

Anyway, I didn't put enough water in the PC, came down 30 minutes after turning on the burner to check on the progress. I smelled smoke 30 feet before getting to the PC, and I was fully expecting to find a flaming kitchen. Instead I found a smoke coming out of the PC. So I ran the PC outside and let it sit for 10 minutes or so and then popped the cap off to release the final pressure. I opened up the PC, and it was as if a bomb had gone off. All the plastic containers were torn open, burnt grain was everywhere (all the water evaporated) and the smell of burnt plastic abounded. It was a melted, burnt and explosive mess, and quite hilarious actually.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #9835929 - 02/20/09 10:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This is the one day of my life, that if there is a god, he was definitely pointing at me and laughing his ass off.

I had a small sterilite FC with 6 cakes on the brink of fruiting (nice and fuzzy with extremely tiny pins), that were cut vertically down the middle and layed flat-side down directly on the perilite. The FC was tucked away in my closet behind my hamper on the floor every freegin day I had it going - except for this one.

One morning I woke up extremely hung over from the night before, and my first move was to the back porch to smoke a cigarette. So, apparently the fan that I had drying some mushrooms from a different project (inside of an easter basket looking thing lined with newspaper) was bugging my roommate as she was trying to sleep. So, the cow decided to get up, help herself into my room, and turn the fan off because "She thought I wasn't home". Now, not only was the fan busy drying probably a half ounce, but it was also right next to my growing chamber that was sitting in the middle of my closet on the floor.

Let me just describe my roommate for a moment. Her name was Monika, and she is to fun, what Hitler was to Jews. She doesn't drink, she doesn't hang out with or probably actually have any friends, and she strongly disapproves of anyone doing anything of any objectionable nature. She also has a smoking hot sister that loved to party with me, I had fooled around with a few times, and was pretty sure one day when Monika was gone I was going to nail (because I am sure the beast would lay an egg if she knew I had gotten drunk with AND nailed her sister) that lived in the same house with us. Here is a picture of the two:

Monika on left, smoking hot sister on right

Here are a few more examples of just how smoking hot her sister was:

Yes - smoking, fucking, HAWT!

So, I am standing out back, and about half way through my cigarette, the anti-christ appears on the porch in a puff of smoke and asks if I could come in for a minute. I thought to myself "Ooooh great, I bet she is going to bitch about me leaving an empty beer can somewhere again" - how wrong I was. So, we walk into my room, and I immediately noticed the fan was off and thought to myself "Awwwww fuck". Somehow the cow completely missed the fact that the fan was pointed into an Easter basket lined with newspaper, as she made no mention about what was in the basket, but wanted to know what was in the plastic container. The conversation went about like this:

Monika: "c1d, what is that inside that container?"

Me: "Ummmmmm....... I don't think you would really want to know..."

Monika: "Oh no, I am a fat nosey bitch, I need to know everything about you so I can better parent you"

(THINK DAVE, THINK! THERE IS NO WAY SHE WILL BELIEVE YOUR GROWING LEGAL MUSHROOMS INSIDE YOUR CLOSET)

Me: *siiigh* "Alright, I tried to keep this out of view from everyone because I didn't want to freak anyone out, but their sacks of spider eggs"

Let me take a break from our conversation (this is right where she flips a lid), to explain. As I peered into opaque side of the chamber, I was trying to think of anything it resembled other than a bunch of illegal mushrooms - then it struck me. Those fuzzy little motherfuckers look like huge sacks of spider eggs! Example:

Spider eggs - Totally.

So, this is where our conversation went:

Monika: "WHHHHAAAAAT!!? WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU GROWING SPIDERS IN YOUR CLOSET!!?"

(FUCK, NOW YOU NEED A REASON, THINK YOU DRUNK FUCKER THINK!!)

Me: "Uhmmmmmmmm, well we do have a forest right behind us, and there is a ton of mosquitos out there, so I was going to wait til they start to hatch and release them back there to eat the mosquitos"

Monika: "AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! GET THOSE OUT OF HERE NOW!!!!"

So at this point, Monika started screaming and running around like she was on fire, and her hot ass sister emerges from the basement to see what is going on, as I am bringing the grow chamber full of "spider sacks" out the back door. She asked what the hell was going on, and her sister Monika says "DAVE IS GROWING SPIDERS IN THE HOUSE *SCREEEEEAM*", and then her sister joins in the panic. I told Monika I'd throw the shit over the fence, which was about 150 yards to it across our huge back yard, and let me tell you - when you have a hot chick watching you carry your collection of spider eggs across it, that is the longest distance you have ever walked in your life.

So, I dumped my project out over the fence (pwnt), and returned to Monika and her hot ass sister looking at me in utter disgust (pwnter), and needless to say the hot sister and I hung out a lot less after that (pwntest). I could not bring myself to tell her sister the truth, as I knew if it had ever gotten back to Monika she would kick me out and call the police immediately. So I lost my project, almost got the police called on me, and lost my shot at perhaps the hottest piece of ass I may have ever had.

Moral of the story:

+            =     

Spider Sacks + Hot Model Sister = Another hang over

P.S. If I win, Monstermitch's tek all the way, and I will surely keep a grow log with some pics. I am no longer staying in a place with snoopy roommates can ruin my grows / perspective lays.

Edited by c1dh3d (04/28/12 11:49 AM)

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: c1dh3d]
    #9836117 - 02/20/09 10:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

holy crap, best story ever. Sorry to hear all that, but you sir have my vote.

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836206 - 02/20/09 10:43 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroominit said:
holy crap, best story ever. Sorry to hear all that, but you sir have my vote.

i agree
thats funny shit
did you ever hit it?

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9836211 - 02/20/09 10:43 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

c1dh3d said:
Moral of the story:

+            =     

You should win, that's the biggest mess up I've ever heard of in all of mycology ever.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

#9836218 - 02/20/09 10:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:rofl2:
You got my vote

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

Say hello to my friend, his name is George.
Every other ? you have is answered here

:mushroom2:In soviet russia, mushroom trips on you

Edited by fltdriver82 (02/20/09 10:46 PM)

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836252 - 02/20/09 10:50 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No, I never hit it. Having a pet spider is enough to send a chick of that caliber running, growing spiders is probably about as horrifying as being a hunchback.

I used to hang out with her and a lot of her hot ass friends around the bonfire pit in our backyard over the summer (they loved drinking with me), but after everyone found out about my spider growing hobby - that brought a screaming halt to my existence around there.

I totally should have just killed Monika, and threw her ass over the fence!

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

#9836257 - 02/20/09 10:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Did you at least retrieve your grow later?

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9836259 - 02/20/09 10:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I don't usually endorse murder... but :werd:

--------------------
Conquer's Club

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9836266 - 02/20/09 10:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hahaha I thought the same thing scavenger.

Srsly. I wouldn't let her fuck my shit up like that. Spider eggs though.. I whould have just said fucking shoes and stuffed it back in the closet. (Then later replaced the tub with another that really had shoes.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: fltdriver82]
    #9836270 - 02/20/09 10:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No, the mixture of hang over, blazing anger, and utter emberassment prompted me to hurl that shit as far into the woods as possible - then go immediately to the closest bar I could find and empty out my pockets.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836277 - 02/20/09 10:57 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well, we could both see right through the sides of the container, it was just fogged up enough that you couldn't make out the pins on the side. And believe me when I say - that bitch would have made me get it out of the house anyways, only with the police on the phone.

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836283 - 02/20/09 10:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

awww that sucks

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836300 - 02/20/09 11:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, at least I got to enjoy making and groping up that hotty in front of my friends for a short period of time... :sad:

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836305 - 02/20/09 11:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

shoulda whipped out your wang:lol:

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836308 - 02/20/09 11:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Should've made dinner... if you know what I mean.

Offlinemesserschmied01
Chrono.naut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Near the Arctic Circle
    #9836312 - 02/20/09 11:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Dude, that sucks that you have to live with a smoking-hot uppity roommate. Having to hide any grow-op is really tough to pull off. This one definitely deserves to win the competition so far.

--------------------
All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

When you're down, you stay down.

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836322 - 02/20/09 11:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroominit said:
Should've made dinner... if you know what I mean.

cant go wrong with tube steak
the meal every woman likes

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Edited by noobieshroomie (02/20/09 11:14 PM)

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

#9836329 - 02/20/09 11:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

silly boys :P

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

everything I say is a lie on here.

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: madwire3]
    #9836359 - 02/20/09 11:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i still think
c1dh3d should win
he tossed hi whole grow
and still didnt get laid
by EITHER of them:lol:

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836395 - 02/20/09 11:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

^And went from being fairly liked around there (most importantly by the hotty), to the guy that grew spiders in his closet.

Needless to say, I lived there maybe another month and had to move out before I did actually kill Monika.

If you look at the picture of the two, just focus on Monika's face for a moment, and tell me just her expression doesn't make you want to punch a kitten!

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #9836511 - 02/21/09 12:06 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:rofl2:  bet those would have been some big ass spiders. :rofl2:

--------------------

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836566 - 02/21/09 12:20 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I totally should have told her I was growing spiders to eat her fat ass!

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836577 - 02/21/09 12:23 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

you should of tried to grow shrooms off her dead body
not too sure if it will work but who knows:shrug:
j/k btw
still a funny/sad story
i hope you win

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Offlinemushrume man
Sadis Factory
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #9836635 - 02/21/09 12:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

we reap what we sow...... or not so much  :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836642 - 02/21/09 12:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

At the time it was horrible, but I can laugh about it now adays. Funny thing is, I haven't thought about that for months and months til I saw this thread and started trying to think of my most epic failure. Glad you guys enjoyed it, I figured some of you might find it amusing, in a laugh at your own funeral (or in this case, mine) sort of way  :smile:

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836672 - 02/21/09 12:47 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

well good luck with your next grow
and HIT THAT SHIT
by whatever means possible
-5 shrooms for you if you dont:rofl2:
just kidding
i still think you should win
you threw away your grow
AND  a nice piece of ass
you deserve it

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

#9836698 - 02/21/09 12:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think you might wanna go back and check to see if there are any growing this summer, could be worth the trip...no pun intended.

--------------------

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836754 - 02/21/09 01:11 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I actually thought about that last summer a week after it got ditched, but I figured between the trajectory at which they were hurled and the length/abundance of tall grass in the area they were thrown, 2 hours would be better spent re-starting a project vs. walking around a forest on the small chance I might find one of the cake halves :P

And to respond noobieshroomie, I hadn't really thought about that since I moved out last summer, but I actually should send her a myspace message telling her what had really conspired. Who knows, she might just happen to think that growing mushrooms is extremely hot :humpme:

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9836776 - 02/21/09 01:17 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thats awesome
+5 for you
because of your sad sad story
you got busted and didnt get ant form the hottie

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
    #9838625 - 02/21/09 12:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

the sad story of a boy, a girl, and a mushroom spider gets the oscar :congrats:

:popcorn:this is the best contest, i'm sure i'll come up with something.

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: artizen]
    #9838696 - 02/21/09 12:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:rofl: at mushroom spiders...

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

InvisibleMushHunter08
Mycological Pupil
Male

Loc: B.F.E
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: dead]
    #9838982 - 02/21/09 01:41 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

c1dh3d I'm pretty sure that story will own anyone else that tries to compete now.....:rofl2:

--------------------
"The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom...for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough."
-William Blake-

The most simple method of growing mushrooms:
www.mushroomvideos.com

MultiSync's lazy bastard print/syringe guide

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: MushHunter08]
    #9839089 - 02/21/09 01:57 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Has my vote for sure.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineMad Merlyn
Userper of Magic
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Adams County
    #9839098 - 02/21/09 01:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Leary_Ban said:
I've seen a lot of posts in the cult forum that have people who have never grown before trying to cut all sorts of corners, and coming up with oh, LCs teeming with jellyfish, for example.  The purpose of this contest is to show that growing mushrooms is pretty easy, if you just FOLLOW THE DAMN RULES. :lol:

I'm hoping other successful cultivators might offer up some prizes as well.
I'm going to send at least one winner everything they need except a spore syringe to start growing correctly.  I have concerns about sending the winner cult supplies and spores for obvious reasons.

EDIT: German Kahuna is adding a P. cubensis Na Muang spore print
          Ledd is adding an a+ (print?)
thanks guys!

I'll send the winner 4 pints of wbs, sterile and ready to noc, a brick of coir, some perlite, a plastic tub already drilled to be a shotgun FC, a couple containers for fruiting in, a spray bottle, and anything else I can fit in the box that you might need.  You won't have to buy anything to get started if you have some spores.

TO WIN THE CONTEST:

-then-

explain what you think went wrong, and what motivated you to try it the way you tried it.  ex. "I could not afford any mason jars so I tried using a drinking glass with tyvek over it.  I think it contamed because I forgot to cover the tyvek with foil and it got wet."

-finally-

explain how you will, or link to the tek you will use to, spawn your wbs to coir.

Entries close Feb. 27th, I'll post a poll here on the 28th, we'll vote on who wins, and go from there.  I really hope the winner will post a grow log of how the supplies are being used but just letting us know if it helped or not is fine.

The first time I ever grew mushrooms about 4 years ago, my friend and I watched a video on how to grow but it was pretty bleak, My friend and I went through all the motions and all the steps over and over and over in our heads, all of the supplies were at his house and he decided one night when he was alone and bored that he had everything we needed and knew what he was doing:rolleyes:
He fired up the PC with about 6" of water in the bottom and tossed in all the jars, He followed the PF Tek recipe for the substrate, mixed up Whole brown rice, vermiculite and decided to add vegimite to the mix, why? no one knows. anyway, he added water and got it to where it was way too wet, when the jars were done pressure cooking for 45 minutes or so he removed them while hotter than shit and set them on the counter, 2 cracked and finally he burnt himself pretty badly, once the jars cooled down he opened up all up and added the substrate right there in his kitchen, he then went and grabbed our only 2 spore syringes, Keepers Creepers and Blue Meanie Cubensis and knocked up all the jars, even the ones that cracked, and saved maybe 3cc's of our Blue Meanie Cubensis syringe. About 6 days later all the jars were green, black and brown. Not a single 1 had any signs of mushroom mycelium germinating.

Yes I typed that in the right order, he actually sterilized empty jars then filled them with substrate in open air and thought he had done everything correctly. It costed us everything a second time except for our pressure cooker.

--------------------
Time is the Greatest Truth, Life is the Biggest Lie

BELIEVE

It's Gonna Get Fuckin' Ugly!

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Mad Merlyn]
    #9839353 - 02/21/09 02:38 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

that's what I was thinking wasnt a cultivation failure was a failure to choose a decent roommate.. how is that worthy of wining this contest?

--------------------
I agree totally. However, this forum isn't for the experienced growers, because they already know the ropes.  It's for the new growers who are just starting out.  Sometimes the hardest part about learning something new is un-learning bad info.  That's why I tend to correct people for calling a substrate tray a 'casing', etc.
RR

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: madwire3]
    #9839992 - 02/21/09 04:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Leary_Ban said:

TO WIN THE CONTEST:

Are you actually implying that story was not failure of epic proportion?  :coleman:

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#9840169 - 02/21/09 05:27 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

win!

brilliant story c1dh3d

when i was reading it theres was a bunch of stuff i wanted to quote and add to, but it was flawless.

sooooo the only thing....i think it would be pwntEST :shrug:

u get my vote tho for the effort put into making all of us laugh!

:hi5:

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9840397 - 02/21/09 06:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Excellent point, the post has been edited. :wink:

Thanks for pointing that out! :thumbup:

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#9841042 - 02/21/09 08:01 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i don't want to be in the contest, but i'd like to share ( MA? ). by the way this is the best contest iv'e seen, and super generous :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:to all the contributors.

so, my first 2 attempts included 12 brf cakes and the first syringe i got was damaged in shipping so it leaked every where and i was not home to help but my wife somehow managed to inoculate 2 jars with a needle broken off at the threads, but to no avail, not even trich or something . the wait for it was longer than i expected and one main reason for doing this was just to have some mushies for Halloween when my brother-in-law and wife were in town ( now i have a gh,gb,pc,2-fc's,30 petris,5-cases of mason jars, a bale of straw......who knew?lol :shrug:)

anyway, the vendor (not a sponsor,but they are ok) was replacing it but it was taking a while and they said they could be faster if we were open to another strain. the one we chose was listed as 'easy' but since it would be faster we said ok. they ended up sending us orissa india and at the time i had not known about the shroomery ( of which all most all members are the best, thanks:biggrin:) and all other research of this strain at the time described it as near impossible to cultivate indoors, FUCKIN' GREAT.

so we proceeded on with the pf tek, knowing nothing else, and hoped for the best, i spent hours making that fc with the drip tray and cutting out windows and running an ultrasonic humidifier though tubes and 2-liter bottles to keep out dripping water, have you seen this tek/thing? it's ridiculous.

alright, cut to the week of hollween, and we have 3 - 80% colonized cakes in the fc and 3 more in their jars. why only 80% and in the chamber you ask? well anxious to have fruits ready for the holiday, we read advice misinformation a complete bullshit of a site somewhere on the net that says 'you can birth it early and cauterize the uncolonized area with a torch and 16d nail to avoid contamination'. so i did.:flowstone: don't do it. it doesn't work.

so company is here and the kids are in bed and as everyone is kinda let down my wife says " what about all that stuff we read about psilocybin in the mycelium."  :idea: TO THE INTERNET!
and we find not only info on extraction but guess what, YOU CAN EAT THE CAKE.

the 4 of us sat around the kitchen island with glasses of juice and beer choking down hunks of colonized brf and verm.  :puke: no one actually puked, at least not past their lips. eyes watering, cheeks puffing and my brother-in-law ( who had never tripped before ) looking at us in disbelief say "i ain't eating fuckin' dirt" . i'm such a dick i just kept saying "it's not dirt, it's flour, like mushroom bread, ya know." :naughty:

my favorite memory of the night is sitting around the campfire embarrassed, with a stomach ache ( not the butterfly kind ) listening to to my sister-in-law saying "i think i feel something, yea, i'm tellin' ya, i feel something):rolleyes:

happily, we visited them Thanksgiving and i redeemed my cultivating pride.:pimp3:

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9841270 - 02/21/09 08:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

LOL @ eatings the cakes!

I've almost done that once - Almost :smile:

Funny stuff man :thumbup:

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #9841463 - 02/21/09 09:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

well this isnt epic but noobish 4 sure.

I was trying my first attempt at spore printing..followed every sterile procedure I could find to the letter.  (gloves/mask/lysol/iso.alcohol/glovebox/etc...)  I thought no problem, this is easy.  I put my caps all out on prefolded/cleaned foil squares and folded the foil over the top to cover and put a push pin in the center of the cap so as not to touch them, just grab the push pins and remove when done, fold my foil put in ziplock, label and be done.  NOT!

I posted for help;

Quote:

Ok, I used a glove box, wore latex gloves a dust mask(as to not breath on them),  cleaned everything with 10% bleach sol, lysoled the hell out of everthing, wiped inside and out of tub down with iso.alcohol, hands and gloves included.  used sterile knife to remove caps from stems.  had pre folded foil wiped with iso/alcohol, let all that dry. :thumbup:

I placed my 4 caps each on its own foil square, put a pin in the cap so I didnt handle them, put on foil gills down, waited for 24 hours and checked them.

they were all stuck to the foil like suction cups!:wtf:

and when I managed to tip the cap up to look at the print there was nothing.(yet)

should I just leave them and wait longer or did I forget a step?:shrug:

need a lil help I guess.....:thanx:

they are Z-strain if that matters(a cube is a cube).

all to no avail, didnt get much help, after 2 days no answers.

so I waited and went to check them 48 hrs later.  no prints.  well 1, barely visible, half circle print.  I cut my losses and chucked everything.  when I went to put my glovebox away I noticed my hands were wet from the bottom of my gb.  I put it down went back to the counter top..

I found my problem. 

when I cleaned my glovebox I didnt realize that some of the alcohol/bleach I used leaked out onto the countertop I had my GB on.

so between my lid(GB is upside down for better visibility)and the counter top I had a pool of chemicals just shriveling my caps up. :shrug:

I got 1 barely visible half assed print after 48 hrs.  tossed all of em.

good thing you can grow more. next run should be good.

1 more thing to check b4 doing work from now on.:getstoned:

--------------------

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

#9841630 - 02/21/09 10:03 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

LOL ARTIZEN!

haha, great story, I was cracking up.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: neopet nub]
    #9841994 - 02/21/09 11:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i still sometimes get that queezy feeling when i smell wet verm. :projectile: next contest 'SHROOM FACTOR'

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineNo_Life_G33k
Now with 10%less noobness
 User Gallery

#9842250 - 02/22/09 12:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Hot Water Pasteuriztion - A How To Pictorial
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4527808/an/0/page/0

Make your own shroom chocolates
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4500682/an/0/page/5

guide with pix.

Make Your Own Magnetic Stirrer! How-To Tek w/ pix
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5865949/an/0/page/3

Offlinemadwire3
queen of the smurfs
Female

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: No_Life_G33k]
    #9842265 - 02/22/09 12:48 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

hahaha now that fire box is the winner all the wayyyy omfg I think I peed a lil

--------------------
RR

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9842383 - 02/22/09 02:03 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think the picture on this page is the best from that story :smile:

After hearing a few of these flash fire stories, I can hardly wait til my first glovebox explosion :thumbup: Glad to see your still alive!

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9842434 - 02/22/09 02:46 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I got another quick incident that happened about 5-6 months ago (no pics, as I really don't know what there would be to take a pic of).

I went out and bought all the materials to make 2 monotubs right before dinner at my parents house, and ended up staying over there most of the night. So once it became late enough I thought "Fuck it, I'll just wait for them to go to bed and make the mono-tubs quick in the basement" - this turned out to be a very bad idea.

So the parents had went to bed, and I watched tv for a bit to let them fall asleep (in case any noise had to be made during the construction of the tubs), and after about 60 minutes or so it was go time. I got all the items together in the basement, mixed a new drink, it's time to rock.

So I figured the first step I was going to tackle was cutting a length out of the lid, and gorilla taping the plexi-glass (I was using MonsterMitch's tek). So I measured out the dimensions, super heated the knife I was using with a blow torch, and sank it through the plastic to begin cutting it out.

It was at this very moment, I realized that hot metal + plastic = a lot of smoke. To make matters worse, my eyes followed this huge cloud of smoke into the air, where they caught a glimpse of a smoke detector directly above my head. I think I got about to the letter h in "Awwwww SH" before every alarm panel in my house started beeping, and every smoke alarm in my house screamed out that high pitched ringing sound. Bear in mind, there is both a smoke detector, and an alarm panel in my parents bedroom, and it is now about 1 AM on a work night.

So of course I run to the nearest alarm control panel to me, flip it open, and hit the button with the little fire symbol on it - and the damn thing asks me for a password. Now I am in full steam panic mode, punching in random sequences of numbers that I know aren't right, but I have absolutely nothing else to do until that alarm shuts up.

This is where it gets really shitty. After my parents had gotten out of bed, and punched in the disarm code, we all found out that the fire alarms were not directly hooked to the alarm system. Apparently after the house had gotten struck by lightning and a new alarm system was installed, the technicians rigged it so that the fire alarm can trigger the alarm system, but the alarm system cannot deactivate the fire alarms.

So to end the story I got to explain to my dad what a monotub was over the noise of a fire alarm, while disconnecting the wires inside of it, after about 10 minutes of us soaking in the fact that the alarm was not going to shut the damn thing up. After enough disconnecting the alarm stopped, my dad yelled at me for another 5 minutes, and I learned a valuable lesson - If your going to melt your way through a plastic container, don't do it directly under a fire alarm.

P.S. The monotubs came out lookin really good, thanks mom and dad! :smile:

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

#9842719 - 02/22/09 06:32 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Now this guy has determination. Bad ideas, but good determination. We need more stories.
:thumbup:

Offlinebirdisaword
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Africa
    #9843031 - 02/22/09 09:37 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I forgot the english word for when the myc grows through the casing layer now...

Anyhow.. that is what you are seeing, except this strain loves makeing cauliflower like growths above the surface... lol don;t realy know what is up with that but I checked it on my previous grow... it bruises blue... actualy looks edible... hehe

Pretty fucked up hey, as I'm still waiting for the 3rd flush...

Edited by birdisaword (02/22/09 09:41 AM)

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: birdisaword]
    #9843297 - 02/22/09 11:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think we call that overlay...I can't beat the alarm story that is downright funny :wowz: I now know I'm not the only person who has blown up their glovebox...didn't want to admit that one.... and have had one of my parents walk in on me knocking up a jar with a syringe only to have to go through hours of explaining that I was not a heroin addict and that in fact smaller needles are used for that, and show them internet pictures of edibles being grown needless to say I never grew a cube at my parents I was forced to grow a few measly button mushrooms in my exquisite setup to prove my intentions...so still more stories this is a great thread:)e

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#9843403 - 02/22/09 11:52 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

bird, i just watched the movie ur avatar is from!

gooooooood shit.

hes a bad ass nunchucker

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9843551 - 02/22/09 12:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

What movie is that?

--------------------

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#9843572 - 02/22/09 12:42 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

trailerpark boys.

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9843591 - 02/22/09 12:46 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, I thought you were talking about his Sig. Not Bubbles :P

--------------------

OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
    #9843673 - 02/22/09 01:03 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

c1dh3d said:
This is the one day of my life, that if there is a god, he was definitely pointing at me and laughing his ass off.

Moral of the story:

+            =     

P.S. If I win, Monstermitch's tek all the way, and I will surely keep a grow log with some pics. I am no longer staying in a place with snoopy roommates can ruin my grows / perspective lays.

GOOD GOD!

:lolz0rz:

--------------------
How to talk to cops

InvisibleMinion
Torque
 User Gallery

Loc: Jesusland
    #9848274 - 02/23/09 01:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

just me said:
trailerpark boys.

Trailer Park Boys > Anything else on TV.

--------------------
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, set it on fire.

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Minion]
    #9848409 - 02/23/09 02:45 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Minion said:
Quote:

just me said:
trailerpark boys.

Trailer Park Boys > Anything else on TV.

:yesnod:

--------------------
I'm Just Making This All Up.
Grains In Glass Jars With Professional Filters FTW.
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Fan dry, Desiccant storage FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Mushroom Cloud - Dirtball

InvisibleHiei
8======><=====8
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: RedDevil420]
    #9848590 - 02/23/09 05:12 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My first grow! As you can see I had put my 3 "grow kits" in the case of my PC, which was the best place to keep them away from my parents, it was warm and dark too. I still hadn't thought about telling them I'd grow mushrooms.

So I had put the kits inside some socks to keep them even warmer and they dried out very quickly, but I realized it a bit late. I had to drow them in water when I saw they were completely dry, and I still got some shrooms out of those.

--------------------
◄►۞◄►

Edited by Hiei (02/23/09 06:21 AM)

OfflineMad Merlyn
Userper of Magic
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Hiei]
    #9848620 - 02/23/09 05:35 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

OMG! That's in your computer!:eek:

--------------------

BELIEVE

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

#9848655 - 02/23/09 06:03 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

A+ for creativity

Offlinemkymkyxp
Stranger

#9849811 - 02/23/09 12:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i used to stash lots of stuff in my computer all the time. They never had a clue...

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9850291 - 02/23/09 01:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Holy crap!  :hairmetal:

What that computer ever actually functional with your stuff growing in there?

InvisibleMinion
Torque
 User Gallery

Loc: Jesusland
    #9850600 - 02/23/09 02:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

PC Grows are becoming super common.  On icmag there are endless PC grow threads.

--------------------
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, set it on fire.

InvisibleHiei
8======><=====8
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Minion]
    #9850617 - 02/23/09 02:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah the PC was working quite well, it used to shut down with no reason some times but I don't know if they were the cause. :lol:

--------------------
◄►۞◄►

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9850637 - 02/23/09 02:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Hiei said:
Yeah the PC was working quite well, it used to shut down with no reason some times but I don't know if they were the cause. :lol:

Overheating was the cause. They indirectly caused the overheating by disrupting the airflow.

Ya learn something new every day on shroomery :thumbup:

InvisibleHiei
8======><=====8
Male User Gallery

#9850852 - 02/23/09 03:35 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

wow thanks for the info :thumbup:

--------------------
◄►۞◄►

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#9851344 - 02/23/09 04:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

back in the day it was easy to hide from parents when i had 2 - 2' x 2' x 3' speakers, nothing but air inside. some of you guys really make me feel old sometimes.:strokebeard2:

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineNo_Life_G33k
Now with 10%less noobness
 User Gallery

#9852520 - 02/23/09 08:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

c1dh3d said:
LOL @ eatings the cakes!

I've almost done that once - Almost :smile:

Funny stuff man :thumbup:

You seem like a nicer version of Tucker Max.:cool:

http://www.tuckermax.com/

--------------------
Hot Water Pasteuriztion - A How To Pictorial
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4527808/an/0/page/0

Make your own shroom chocolates
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4500682/an/0/page/5

guide with pix.

Make Your Own Magnetic Stirrer! How-To Tek w/ pix
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5865949/an/0/page/3

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9852623 - 02/23/09 08:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I've read a few of his articles several years back, and will take that as a compliment - Thanks! :wink:

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

#9857159 - 02/24/09 03:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think he is interested in this contest but I found this EPIC FAIL in OTD, that is if any one enjoys a chuckle?

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9857495 - 02/24/09 04:49 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dr. uarewotueat said:
Quote:

OneManOrgy said:
LOL im no nig

white people are not that stupid.

OMG HhahahahahahAhahahAHAHAHahahahahaaaaaahahahaaaa!!!!! :rofl2:  :lolz0rz:

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

#9857697 - 02/24/09 05:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I was laughing all of the way through this one, not as good as your spider cultivation but still funny.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9858025 - 02/24/09 06:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, too bad LegallyHomeless got to the chump before we did, what a dick :smile:

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9858056 - 02/24/09 06:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

OneManOrgy said:
Quote:

Leary_Ban said:
Quote:

OneManOrgy said:
Fuck You Pris You Ruined My Life!!!!

I never said that

I'm not a narc and am not going to the cops , But the proper authoritys to this matter will be notified who regulate and enforce internet law .

That thread just keeps getting better too! Internet Law FTW!!!!!

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

#9858223 - 02/24/09 06:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I would say, "What does this have to do with growing mushrooms?" but actually OTD is full of dung-lovers, so... :shrug:

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

#9858335 - 02/24/09 07:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well... he did trade for growing supplies, tried to anyway.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9858396 - 02/24/09 07:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't exactly say we "love" that piece of dung, but his stupidity is amusing for the moment :laugh:

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9859819 - 02/24/09 10:51 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps we can enter OneManOrgy's parents in the contest for cultivating such a contaminated human being, and he can still get a grow kit! :cool:

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9861155 - 02/25/09 07:07 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

c1dh3d said:
Perhaps we can enter OneManOrgy's parents in the contest for cultivating such a contaminated human being, and he can still get a grow kit! :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

#9869986 - 02/26/09 02:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Final bump... I think I let this contest run a bit too long :lol: but anyway, tomorrow night when I get home from work I'll post a poll and we can get down to selecting the weiners winners.

Thanks to all who contributed their stories and who helped make this thread a success!

I'm going to start soaking grain tonight... hopefully, someone's luck is about to change.

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9871861 - 02/26/09 06:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you for hosting the contest Leary :thumbup: Thanks to all contributors to this thread and in general, you rock the Shroomery :smile:

Donators 'to this thread' PM me for a reserved spore print from my next grow - postage is on me.

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

#9881305 - 02/27/09 10:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

LET THE VOTING BEGIN!

First a brief recap of the entries - click the entrant's name to be taken to their post.

Smushroom: "I came back a couple days later to a fridge full of maggots."

xdzt"I decided... that the PF tek sucked (not that I didn't follow it exactly or use sterile techniques) so I ...decided that honey-coated puffed wheat cereal would be a much better substance than BRF and verm.

HybridprX: "luckily the methanol burnt out before causing any serious arm injuries..."

tr8orjohn: "Come back upstairs to note an odd smell of burnt chinese food...and smoke."

preschooler: "i got impatient so ....i just ate the agar from 4 dishes...."

MushHunter08: "threw out a cake that I thought had Trichoderma ... it wasn't anything more then just normal bruising."

nw_shroomy: "The stupidest thing Ive done is trash my complete grow because of tripping and having paranoia."

Lennyk: "the hole in the bag led to a massive bag of trich."

just me: "as soon as i opened it... burped out a huge green cloud of dust."

nefas: "So this is what your chamber shouldn't look like. " (pic)

electrics: "7$ would have saved me my grow, my day at the hospital and my pride."

Jitsu: "This may make you vomit!" (pic)

ScavengerType: "I flipped the casing over and the whole bottom side looked like this."

Shroominit: "came back a few days later to find two pints of trich spores."

WonkierBubble: "I smelled smoke 30 feet before getting to the PC..."

c1dh3d: "smoking hot sister + spider eggs = pwnt"

Mad Merlyn: "...he actually sterilized empty jars then filled them with substrate in open air..."

13shrooms: "so between my lid and the counter top I had a pool of chemicals just shriveling my caps up."

No_Life_G33k: "Frickin' WOOOOSH!!!!!" (pics)
c1dh3d: "If your going to melt your way through a plastic container, don't do it directly under a fire alarm."

birdisaword: Cauliflower-like overlay (pic)

OneManOrgy: "Internet law"
Who are the winners?
Users may choose 2 (43 total votes)
Smushroom
-
1 2%
xdzt
-
0 0%
HybridprX
-
1 2%
tr8orjohn
-
1 2%
preschooler
-
1 2%
MushHunter08
-
1 2%
nw_shroomy
-
2 5%
Lennyk
-
0 0%
just me
-
2 5%
nefas
-
3 7%
electrics
-
4 9%
Jitsu
-
2 5%
ScavengerType
-
0 0%
Shroominit
-
0 0%
WonkierBubble
-
2 5%
c1dh3d entry #1 spider eggs
-
17 40%
Mad Merlyn
-
1 2%
13shrooms
-
0 0%
No_Life_G33k
-
3 7%
c1dh3d entry #2 fire alarm
-
1 2%
OneManOrgy
-
1 2%
Votes accepted from (02/27/09 10:40 PM) to (03/01/09 08:01 PM)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9881327 - 02/27/09 10:48 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

wow where to start

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9881421 - 02/27/09 11:03 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I completely forgot Artizen didn't want his story about eating cakes entered, and thats the one I was going to vote for. Crap :\

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9881431 - 02/27/09 11:05 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Nice job on the poll, that looks like it took some effort :thumbup:

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

#9881517 - 02/27/09 11:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It was a pain in the ass compiling all that :lol:

Started gathering the winners' supplies tonight... still have some work to do to get this ready!

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9881543 - 02/27/09 11:34 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Leary_Ban said:
It was a pain in the ass compiling all that :lol:

Started gathering the winners' supplies tonight... still have some work to do to get this ready!

dude you ROCK
you will make someone sooo happy
thanks again
btw check your ratings

-nobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9881680 - 02/28/09 12:21 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

How long will voting remain open for?

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

#9881709 - 02/28/09 12:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I set it to end Sunday at around 8pm server time so hopefully if the winners get their addys to me I can ship on Monday.

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#9882047 - 02/28/09 02:25 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i voted cid twice

both excellent "how to's" on epic failure

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9882101 - 02/28/09 02:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Word :smile: I have been trying to devise a way to cut a few nice size holes in the side of a new sterilite tub to make a glovebox, without using the burn my way through the plastic technique again. If I set off another fire alarm making myco supplies, I'm pretty sure I will get disowned from the family :cool: I am guessing cutting them with a standard kitchen table steak knife would be a motherf#&%$er!

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#9882144 - 02/28/09 02:56 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

it is.

so is with a jig saw

so is with a sawsall

use the hot coffee can. makes perfect holes. fast. nearly smoke free too

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9882624 - 02/28/09 07:07 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Excellent idea! I'll have to dig around for a coffee can or something equivalent in size :thumbup:

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: VOTING OPEN: "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Srirachi]
    #9882678 - 02/28/09 07:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Leary_Ban said:

Everyone who entered gets a free print from c1dh3d's next grow - PM him for details.

There are 19 entrants, and 3 prize contributors that are eligible for a print. If you want one, you NEED TO send me a PM, as I will not be posting a new thread to give them away. I will be sending out PM's once I have prints, either letting you know it is about to be mailed (if I already have an address), or requesting an address from you.

Please note that it says 'next grow', which unfortunately means that the prints aren't going to be ready in the next week or probably within the next month, but fortunately they will be coming at some point in time (assuming I successfully grow at least one more time in my lifespan).

If you care to track when you might be expecting that print, feel free to check back on the grow log in my signature, rather then PM'ing me about it :wink: When progress is made, or progress is lost, it will be posted! So, get those PM's to me, or answer to Frylock :frylock:

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Re: VOTING OPEN: "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: c1dh3d]
    #9882684 - 02/28/09 07:32 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm kind of a tard... so, everyone who entered a disaster gets a print?

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9882697 - 02/28/09 07:41 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If I won I was planning on actually printing the entire grow (as much as I can stand to print), and mail those off to everyone who entered. I was also planning on having a free spore print give away from my current grow regardless of the contest. So anyone who PM's me can get one yes :smile:

I also have absolutely no objections to people trading me spore prints in return for the ones I send, but its by no means required :wink:

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9882700 - 02/28/09 07:42 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Except for OneManOrgy, I am going to need $300 dollars and a small satchel of rubies to cover postage for his print.

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

#9882705 - 02/28/09 07:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have the feeling that spider eggs>everything else in this contest.  In fact, that is why I'm sending out 2 grand prizes... that shit was a ringer. :lol:

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9882743 - 02/28/09 07:59 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup: I didn't even think about it actually winning until about 24 hours when I read all the posts in response to it :smile:

If you want a print as well, let me know! :toast:

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#9883177 - 02/28/09 09:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

c1dh3d said:
I completely forgot Artizen didn't want his story about eating cakes entered, and thats the one I was going to vote for. Crap :\

thanks, i think lol. i never said i'd turn down a print though :naughty: i could have used most the cult stuff, hell i could use anything, but i've got plenty more than my share of equip. it wouldn't be fair. 6 mos ago i'd of been all over it, it's amazing how fast it the equipment accumulated after x-mas bonus and tax returns. :pimp3:
now i just need:slaves:coir slaves
or retire early:strokebeard2:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=hole+saw

c1dh3d, use one of these cheap ones if you don't wan't to invest in a tool for other work. check lowes, depot or wallyworld for cheap,cheap.  if you've never used a hole saw before just go slow, on a big drill it can kick your ass. always use a piece of wood to lean on and cut through plastic or fragile material into the wood to keep from cracking.
also they make zip saw blades that will fit in a dremmel or drill. they look like drill bits and you can get them anywhere cheap. they take a little finesse so go slow with them too.

killer contest :punkband: keep on rockin'

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#9883196 - 02/28/09 09:58 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

by the way, i voted for spider eggs all the way, and the poor fuck that ended up in the hospital (sympathy vote). that's gotta hurt bob.:biggrin:

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

#9883200 - 02/28/09 09:58 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

haha this thread rocks!

Nice work with how you did the voting post btw

--------------------

How I get my Pinsets

Offlinechucklehead
GeneticThrowback toNeanderthal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chucky Cheese
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. *DELETED* [Re: Jitsu]
    #9883965 - 02/28/09 11:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by chucklehead

Reason for deletion: because

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: chucklehead]
    #9884171 - 02/28/09 12:27 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'll share my biggest mistake so far.

The first dozen quart jars I did, I figured I would PC them while I waited for my syringe to show up then right before inoculate I'd poke the inoculation holes with a nail/hammer.

So I found out quickly that these jars form a serious vacuum that way, so as soon as I poked the holes they sucked in massive amounts of air and every single last one of them contam'd!

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Spongiform]
    #9884246 - 02/28/09 12:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:lol:correct

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Spongiform]
    #9884411 - 02/28/09 01:15 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Spongiform said:
I'll share my biggest mistake so far.

The first dozen quart jars I did, I figured I would PC them while I waited for my syringe to show up then right before inoculate I'd poke the inoculation holes with a nail/hammer.

So I found out quickly that these jars form a serious vacuum that way, so as soon as I poked the holes they sucked in massive amounts of air and every single last one of them contam'd!

:congrats:

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

#9885164 - 02/28/09 03:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

man I wish you had posted this when the contest was open, what a great post. Pics and everything. :rockon:

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

#9885465 - 02/28/09 04:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:rockon: I needed a good laugh someone refered to me as "the poor fuck who wound up in the hospital" well I know I am.....lol at least I can still laugh at myself!!!!And thanks too this thread many others :wowz:

--------------------

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

#9885493 - 02/28/09 04:21 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

just did one!

dont tap two jars together to shake grain

pics in a second

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

#9888817 - 03/01/09 07:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

well I hadn't considered what I might do in the case of a tie... and if no one else votes there is a tie.  So, hopefully more people will vote so I won't have to figure it out. Voting ends tonight around 8PM!

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9892088 - 03/01/09 06:40 PM (15 years, 30 days ago)

lol... well if you hit a glass jar against any surface hard enough it's going to break.  Try a bike tire like RR does or a Knee like I did.  One thing that I did (Have fixed in the writeup) not mention is that you can put a pinch of gypsum in the water in the grain jar and that will help them not stick together that much.  Maybe you're not cleaning them enough if you're having a really hard time breaking them apart.  I did it for over a year and didn't have the problems you're speaking of.  Duct tape doesn't sound like it would give all that much though.  I just knocked them against my knee once, gave the jar a quarter turn, shook, and knocked it again; repeating until broken up.  It wasn't even as hard to break up as a colonized jar was... idk.  I'd say the gypsum would really help. 

Contamination has less to do with my writeup and more to do with your sterile technique I would guess.  I would lose maybe 1 in 75 jars. :shrug:

RR's way is probably a better way to go as it takes more attention, but my writeup does serve it's purpose for increased times; sorry you had a bad time with it.  I'm sure others have found it useful.

F

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Re: All your votes are belong to us: "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. WINNERS ANNOUNCED [Re: Srirachi]
    #9893257 - 03/01/09 09:36 PM (15 years, 30 days ago)

The grand prize winners have already been contacted, and have sent me their ship to addys.  Thanks to all who participated!

German Kahuna and Ledd, do you guys want me to just send you one winner's addy?

Offlinechucklehead
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: fahtster]
    #9893430 - 03/01/09 09:58 PM (15 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

fahtster said:
lol... well if you hit a glass jar against any surface hard enough it's going to break.  Try a bike tire like RR does or a Knee like I did.  One thing that I did (Have fixed in the writeup) not mention is that you can put a pinch of gypsum in the water in the grain jar and that will help them not stick together that much.  Maybe you're not cleaning them enough if you're having a really hard time breaking them apart.  I did it for over a year and didn't have the problems you're speaking of.  Duct tape doesn't sound like it would give all that much though.  I just knocked them against my knee once, gave the jar a quarter turn, shook, and knocked it again; repeating until broken up.  It wasn't even as hard to break up as a colonized jar was... idk.  I'd say the gypsum would really help. 

Contamination has less to do with my writeup and more to do with your sterile technique I would guess.  I would lose maybe 1 in 75 jars. :shrug:

RR's way is probably a better way to go as it takes more attention, but my writeup does serve it's purpose for increased times; sorry you had a bad time with it.  I'm sure others have found it useful.

F

There's no need for apologies to me.  I respect your work and your write ups.  A solid write up is hard work.  It takes time to think out a technique, photograph it, and then write it up in a logical and understandable way.  Actually I apologize for calling it a practical joke.  That was rude.

I did five cycles of 7 quarts with that tek.  (A cycle being the process of cleaning the grain, jarring it up, pressure cooking it, and injecting the jars.)  I used gypsum for some of the cycles but I don't remember how many.  As I recall it did help some but not enough.  It was still very difficult to break up the grain.  The grains were clean.  The water was clear.  Using RR's rye tech I don't bang the jars against anything.  I just give them a shake after I inject them.  I still use duct tape to break up colonized jars.

With regard to the contamination I'll take it back.  That very well could have been my fault.  Also I think I should have given an idea of the scale of contamination.  I think it was like 5 or 6 jars out of the 34 had a contamination (would have been 35 but one blew up in my face).  I was using doubled up postal tyvek for some of those cycles.  I was out of my normal stuff.  So, in fairness, that could have been one contributor.  Especially since it was trich and it was always in the top of the jars.  Still I now pressure cook my rye for 90 minutes again, as I did before.  I just don't trust 70 minutes to get the job done. 

I'm not saying it's out of the question that it could be my sterile technique but I'd put it at fairly unlikely.  I've got in the high hundreds of jars under my belt now.  On the other hand I do like my weed and my beer :stoned:.  It is possible that if I was drinking or smoking before starting my work that I could make errors.  Therefore I take it back.  That was an unfair statement.

Now having said all of that, I stand by my what I said.  I really really don't recommend this particular tek.  Though it does work.  I think conventional methods for preparing grains are better.  I find they are less total effort.  To me it is much less effort to wash the rye in a big pot rather than shaking and straining the individual jars.  If you couple that with the effort in breaking up the rye grains after pressure cooking I find that I come out ahead with conventional methods. 

Finally I want to be sure not to misrepresent my opinion of your over all body of work.  I think you do some incredible work.  In fact you can see in my journal where I store links to various teks that I am complimentary toward your late casing tek.  Over all I think your posts are well thought out, educational, and inspiring.  So thank you for the hard work.  I've enjoyed it.

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9894953 - 03/02/09 06:15 AM (15 years, 30 days ago)

Ya Leary, just PM me the addy of whoever gets my A+

--------------------

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: Ledd]
    #9901474 - 03/03/09 01:51 AM (15 years, 29 days ago)

they werent colonized. i forget if i was shakin after pc or after inoculation, but for some reason i thought tapping them together was ok

--------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9953140 - 03/11/09 05:31 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

I just fell asleep last night waiting for my agar to cool. Now I'm trying to boil hardened agar out of my agar bottles.

pic of hardened agar sunning on windowsill.

The agar has food coloring in it BTW.
I should have turned it sideways or upside-down to show how hard it was in retrospect.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Edited by ScavengerType (03/11/09 06:27 PM)

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9953206 - 03/11/09 05:41 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

--------------------

Offlinecalifarmer619
jardinero
 User Gallery

Loc: your pussy
    #9957847 - 03/12/09 11:45 AM (15 years, 20 days ago)

lol

--------------------

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. [Re: califarmer619]
    #9960198 - 03/12/09 06:41 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Just to throw a few more from a few days ago.

This was a mislabeled jar of Light Malt Extract
purchased before, no prob.

Well it turns out to be MAE (Malt extract agar)
My LC's turned out to be solid.

Notice the stirbars---------------------------/\ :lolz0rz:

then i managed to knock over a collander full of grain that was drip drying before pc'n. I just scooped it back into the jars.
Just the sound it makes when hundreds of kernels hits the ground with my back turned... :stars::foreheadslap:

--------------------
Spawning to COIR

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9961047 - 03/12/09 08:38 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

then there's my failed popcorn spawn attempt.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9961137 - 03/12/09 08:56 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

MMMmmmm.... Buttery
:nignored:

(i saw this and just had to use it)

--------------------
Spawning to COIR

OfflineMad Merlyn
Userper of Magic
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9961311 - 03/12/09 09:29 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Oatman2000 said:
Just to throw a few more from a few days ago.

This was a mislabeled jar of Light Malt Extract
purchased before, no prob.

The jar on the right says Malt Extract Agar on it.

--------------------

BELIEVE

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9961389 - 03/12/09 09:39 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

yes but the other one says malt extract not malt extract agar. He probibly bought the malt extract and found out it was the premixed stuff. That's why he's got solid agar in his jars, because he added a double dose unintentionally.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinechucklehead
Male User Gallery

#9964361 - 03/13/09 11:49 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Oatman2000 said:

Just the sound it makes when hundreds of kernels hits the ground with my back turned... :stars::foreheadslap:

Oh man I feel your pain there.  Your heart just sinks at the sound doesn't it?  You find yourself somewhere between nausea and rage.

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9969228 - 03/14/09 08:51 AM (15 years, 18 days ago)

yea, that feeling in your stomach just right after being kicked in the balls. Funny it's a similar feeling

--------------------
Spawning to COIR

InvisibleAnastomosis
Stranger

Re: All your votes are belong to us: "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. WINNERS ANNOUNCED [Re: Srirachi]
    #26892581 - 08/21/20 10:06 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

This should be done once a year!

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: All your votes are belong to us: "Wow did I ever mess that one up" contest. WINNERS ANNOUNCED [Re: Anastomosis] * 1
    #26892689 - 08/21/20 11:39 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

dont bump 11 yr old threads please :waits:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom