Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineGumballs
Stranger
California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants
    #9626046 - 01/17/09 12:09 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I guess I'll just pay my taxes with the IOU's they give me.

Think about it, if you or I pay our bills, taxes, credit cards with IOU's we will get put in jail and they will take away anything we still have but it's ok for the State to do it? WTF!

California to Issue IOU's for tax returns, Welfare

Quote:

Reporting from Sacramento -- The state will suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants and other payments owed to Californians starting Feb. 1, Controller John Chiang announced Friday.

Chiang said he had no choice but to stop making some $3.7 billion in payments in the absence of action by the governor and lawmakers to close the state's nearly $42-billion budget deficit. More than half of those payments are tax refunds.

The controller said the suspended payments could be rolled into IOUs if California still lacks sufficient cash to pay its bills come March or April.

"It pains me to pull this trigger," Chiang said at a news conference in his office. "But it is an action that is critically necessary."

The payments to be frozen include nearly $2 billion in tax refunds; $300 million in cash grants for needy families and the elderly, blind and disabled; and $13 million in grants for college students.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroom_me
Stranger
Male

Loc: Usa
Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: Gumballs]
    #9626124 - 01/17/09 12:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome To The New World Order.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: Gumballs]
    #9626205 - 01/17/09 12:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I've been expecting this announcement for some time.  I haven't gotten an unemployment check in 2 months and they keep giving me the run around, sending stuff back, making intentional errors that need to be corrected....

OfflineGumballs
Stranger
Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: shroom_me]
    #9626219 - 01/17/09 12:54 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I completely agree with the NWO thinking, it is all by design.

Divide and conquer.

First they create a problem by overspending and bankrupting the nation, then they come up with a brilliant solution, then the sheep praise them.

The powers that be win no matter what happens, civil unrest they declare martial law, civil war they profit from selling weapons and more. 

I don't know what to think anymore.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #9626378 - 01/17/09 01:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Instead of complaining about the new world order and government fat cats, why not direct your efforts on moving into a position where you can be on the benefiting side of such an arrangement? :smile:

If you can't beat it, join it :-D

Offlineshroom_me
Stranger
Male

Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: memes]
    #9636996 - 01/19/09 09:14 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Meams, shoot yourself!

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: shroom_me]
    #9637022 - 01/19/09 09:21 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

shroom_me, grow up!

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

#9639103 - 01/19/09 03:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

After seeing Schwarzenegger on 60 Minutes recently, I realize how paranoid he is about environmentalism.  I think that might be a big factor with economic problems in California.  Obama might do the same thing to the entire country.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10128059-54.html

Offlineshroom_me
Stranger
Male

Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: Luddite]
    #9644651 - 01/20/09 09:22 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

well all I can say is enjoy your slavery. Obama IS gonna change everything, and for the worse. He's a puppet.

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #9648681 - 01/20/09 08:54 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

They're all puppets man. 

I dunno about you, but the only elections in my lifetime were Bush, bill, shrub, and obama.  Say what you want, but to me that list is pretty bleak.

Offlineshroom_me
Stranger
Male

Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #9652263 - 01/21/09 01:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

yeah I totally agree, we're fucked!! I just wish more people could see this. Seems like every time I turn on the TV or radio it's: "Obama our god is gonna change everything" and the sad part is if you know his real agenda, which he has said publicly, and listen to his inaugural speech, he's basically bragging about it, and saying if your not for this then YOUR a terrorist.

it's such BS and frankly these Obama drones, I can only hope, will get their "change" hopefully it rips apart their lives, seems fair. I didn't even vote cuz it's all bullshit!!

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #9652604 - 01/21/09 02:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Whoa dude, take a breath.  Where's the harm in giving the new administration a chance to prove itself?  Obama has admitted that we have many serious problems facing us and has acknowledged that it won't be easy - in effect stating that he may not be able to fix it but that he will try.  In the least, he is taking the time to make acknowledgements that have been wrongfully absent from the politics of the past.  Being able to acknowledge a problem is the first step towards solving it.  Obviously a solution is never guaranteed, but come on, your overwhelmingly deconstructive/negative tone surely doesn't help anything at all.

--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Offlineshroom_me
Stranger
Male

Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: geokills]
    #9657972 - 01/22/09 10:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Lol he's doing the EXACT same things as Bush, wake up. If he really cared about our economy he'd abolish the federal reserve. If he really cared about Iraq, we'd leave. I'm not being negative, I'm be realistic. Your just buying into his empty words.

I mean seriously when he talks he just says "we need change" he never says how to achieve it, and when he does say how, it's all the same shit that bush did. Seriously? WTF is wrong with america?

[Admin Edit: Racial flames removed]

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #9659012 - 01/22/09 01:40 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Uhh... I am not buying into anything.  What I am doing is reserving judgement until there are actions to be judged!
For the record, I donated hundreds of dollars to, campaigned and voted for Ron Paul in the primary election.
So I do believe we might actually agree on several policies pertaining to how the federal government should function.

But I am more than happy to give Obama the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.
It seems to me that you are letting your own anger and frustration color your judgement.

--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #9662756 - 01/22/09 11:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shroom_me said:
Lol he's doing the EXACT same things as Bush, wake up. If he really cared about our economy he'd abolish the federal reserve. If he really cared about Iraq, we'd leave. I'm not being negative, I'm be realistic. Your just buying into his empty words.

I mean seriously when he talks he just says "we need change" he never says how to achieve it, and when he does say how, it's all the same shit that bush did. Seriously? WTF is wrong with america?

[Admin Edit: Racial flames removed]

What's worse:
(a) An American who has no idea how badly they're being bent over, no idea how much of a puppet all of our politicans are, does no exploration into facts, and doesn't care to.....

or

(b) An American who thinks he knows it all, who actually understands very little, and does nothing to either 1) fix it, or 2) benefit from it...

Now I don't have an opinion on which is worse - i think they're equally bad.  But for the most part, I'd rather deal with American-A over American-B.  At least A is open to the idea that they aren't all-seeing, and that there may be merit in some of the actions taken on the Hill or down on Penn Ave.

Now I wasn't much for Obama through the election, and I've only just recently warmed to him after seeing his appointments/selections... but I was in DC for his inauguration, and I truly believe he is exactly what our country needs: hope.

Lame, but true.  His policies may not be what's best for our nation (Can anybody really tell me what's "best"?), but our country has been carrying itself with a rekindled feeling since tuesday - the feeling of OPTIMISM.  That is what our country (not to mention economy) needs, and that is what Obama brings to the table.  The policies he inacts and supports will have an impact, sure - but their influences on our nation are nothing compared to the reaction generated by a few well-chosen and well-spoken words on a pulpit in front of a TV camera.

Dear Obama, dont let us down.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9663742 - 01/23/09 07:21 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Lol he's doing the EXACT same things as Bush, wake up.

I'm not sure Bush did anything like the executive order issued which addresses ethics concerns, federal government salary inflation, government transparency, and the loosening of the Freedom of Information Act.

I'm a Libertarian and therefor am skeptical about Obama and I don't know what will come to be from these Executive Orders, but I have to say it is a good start.

Offlineshroom_me
Stranger
Male

Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: Redstorm]
    #9676732 - 01/25/09 02:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

well I guess as far as giving him a chance to do something, then judging those actions makes sense. I'm just saying he's already done some things that mimic his predecessors so I think I'm rationally skeptic of him at this point. and to the guy that said hope is more influential, and has more impact then his actions, that just doesn't make sense, it just stupid if you ask me. why would his actions not be judged? why would you not question authority?

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #9677588 - 01/25/09 04:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shroom_me said:
and to the guy that said hope is more influential, and has more impact then his actions, that just doesn't make sense, it just stupid if you ask me. why would his actions not be judged? why would you not question authority?

Because a large part of our current economic slump is coming from a huge contraction in consumer demand, which is due to a lack of confidence/hope in the future.  In my opinion, that pessimistic force is just as influential (if not more) than the actions of one man at the top of the executive branch.  As far as the economy goes (economic legislation, monetary & fiscal policy), the President can only do so much.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: memes]
    #9680069 - 01/25/09 10:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
Because a large part of our current economic slump is coming from a huge contraction in consumer demand,...

I've always had a problem with that view of economics.  It sort of seems like the overspending by consumers (mostly on credit) had a lot to do with the "slump".  An economy shouldn't be based on consumer demand for superfluous crap, because when they realize they don't need that crap and stop buying it then you have a problem.  But that problem wasn't caused by the lack of demand, but rather the fact that you were dependent on it in the first place.  People should be encouraged to save more, spend less, and generally make more rational financial decisions relative to current behavior.  Buying more TVs, cell phones, video games, and disposable crap from Asia isn't going to get us out of this one.  Not this time.

OfflinedOseDidontknow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #9680869 - 01/26/09 05:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

So does anyone here have any predictions for the next year?
How bad can this get?
Can their be a collapse of government?
What awill happen to all the people on welfare?
Sorry for the  lack of elloquence, im just curios.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #9681342 - 01/26/09 09:15 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:

I've always had a problem with that view of economics.  It sort of seems like the overspending by consumers (mostly on credit) had a lot to do with the "slump".  An economy shouldn't be based on consumer demand for superfluous crap, because when they realize they don't need that crap and stop buying it then you have a problem.  But that problem wasn't caused by the lack of demand, but rather the fact that you were dependent on it in the first place.  People should be encouraged to save more, spend less, and generally make more rational financial decisions relative to current behavior.  Buying more TVs, cell phones, video games, and disposable crap from Asia isn't going to get us out of this one.  Not this time.

I agree with your views of what should be.  But how frequently are things as they should be?  Rarely, especially when we're discussing national economic & political matters.

Fact of the matter is, a lack of consumer demand further restricts an already ailing economy.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9685015 - 01/26/09 08:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
Fact of the matter is, a lack of consumer demand further restricts an already ailing economy.

Fine, if a restricted economy is what we have to deal with to get back on track, I'm all for it.  But you said we need hope because it will increase consumer spending.  We don't need hope which leads to buying more useless crap.  That's the opposite of what we need.  We need a collective smack in the face to get our heads screwed back on straight.

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures Flag
    #9685808 - 01/26/09 10:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, we don't need to perpetuate to the same policies that brought all of this shit to fruit. Since our nation, in many places, has a negative savings rate, the only way to raise consumer spending is through credit/loans or government stimulus -- both of which are DEBT; the former is obvious; the latter is debt as it's money that must be paid back at some point or we will have high inflation, which takes away the value added to the economy from the stimulus to everyone holding dollars. If we dilute the value of our currency, oversea countries aren't likely to continue to finance our debt/consumer spending and we'll be in HOT water.

IMO the only legitimate way to actually solve this problem -- strike the root instead of the branches -- is for our nation to bite the fucking bullet and make a lot of fundamental changes. The leech of our deficit must go away; interest payments ALONE make up the 4th or 5th largest taxpayer expense in the national budget. There are only two ways to do this, and neither is popular -- higher taxes and lower gov't spending (and if we were wise and willing to make a sacrifice for our long-term benefit, implement another gold standard). If you haven't noticed, we are taking the exact opposite approach, with extreme, stratospheric stimulus spending and tax cuts. Supposedly this is going to ease the short-term burden, the only thing we seem to care about.

Also consider the fact that we still have two wars going on, we all want universal healthcare and higher spending in education, and, among other things, absolutely unfundable entitlement programs like social security and medicare with combined projected budget shortfalls of up to $100 TRILLION in the future (about 7-8x our entire GDP!). We have to make huge cuts, make priorities, and get rid of completely pointless shit like the drug war.     

Enough rant.

--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

Offlineshroom_me
Stranger
Male

Re: California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants [Re: Grok]
    #9687861 - 01/27/09 10:35 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Grok said:
Yeah, we don't need to perpetuate to the same policies that brought all of this shit to fruit. Since our nation, in many places, has a negative savings rate, the only way to raise consumer spending is through credit/loans or government stimulus -- both of which are DEBT; the former is obvious; the latter is debt as it's money that must be paid back at some point or we will have high inflation, which takes away the value added to the economy from the stimulus to everyone holding dollars. If we dilute the value of our currency, oversea countries aren't likely to continue to finance our debt/consumer spending and we'll be in HOT water.

IMO the only legitimate way to actually solve this problem -- strike the root instead of the branches -- is for our nation to bite the fucking bullet and make a lot of fundamental changes. The leech of our deficit must go away; interest payments ALONE make up the 4th or 5th largest taxpayer expense in the national budget. There are only two ways to do this, and neither is popular -- higher taxes and lower gov't spending (and if we were wise and willing to make a sacrifice for our long-term benefit, implement another gold standard). If you haven't noticed, we are taking the exact opposite approach, with extreme, stratospheric stimulus spending and tax cuts. Supposedly this is going to ease the short-term burden, the only thing we seem to care about.

Also consider the fact that we still have two wars going on, we all want universal healthcare and higher spending in education, and, among other things, absolutely unfundable entitlement programs like social security and medicare with combined projected budget shortfalls of up to $100 TRILLION in the future (about 7-8x our entire GDP!). We have to make huge cuts, make priorities, and get rid of completely pointless shit like the drug war.     

Enough rant.

dead on! And I think for this country to have a gold standard again we'd have to abolish The Federal Reserve (which is neither federal, or a reserve lol) people have been brainwashed so long into thinking the government is in control of us, when in reality it is us that is in control of our government, at least thats what the constitution says! but I'm just a conspiracy nut, so don't listen to me, I'm crazy! :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom