Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsychOfMSE
Out of the loop for too long
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
Half-Gallon jars for WBS...
    #9587946 - 01/11/09 05:59 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Is it possible to use half gallon jars for WBS?  I was planning on picking up a pack of them and filling 1/2-3/4 the way up with WBS and using a Grain LC that I made from an extremely fast colonizing argentina jar that I had.  The argentina jar was 100% colonized in 5 days from a MS spore solution...never seen that happen before!

I guess my question is, if I prepare my WBS on the dry side and PC for maybe an extra 15-20 minutes, could I successfully use half gallon jars instead of quarts?

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!
Large_Dose's Ohmatic Monotub Tek
Monstermitch's LC/WBS/Monotub/Casing Tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKnifeplay
HAIR POLICE
 User Gallery

Re: Half-Gallon jars for WBS... [Re: PsychOfMSE]
    #9587955 - 01/11/09 06:05 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, if you can use a quart you can use a half gallon. Thing is it should take longer to colonize and thus get a foot hold over contams. I'd stick with quart size jars, you save time and you don't put all your eggs in a basket.

--------------------
bmiles: shrooms are 90% cum.

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Half-Gallon jars for WBS... [Re: Knifeplay]
    #9587965 - 01/11/09 06:19 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well time isn't really a big deal for me right now.  I've got enough spawn colonizing/done colonizing to fill up 7 or 8 monotubs, I'd like to use some half gallon jars just to stick on the top shelf and forget about it for a while.

If my argentina jars (they were pints) got done in 5 days, I'm willing to wait a couple weeks for a half gallon to be done.  Basically I'm wanting to have a stock of spawn that's ready to go into a monotub at any time.

I'll go ahead and try it, if it doesn't work, I'm out 10-15 bucks.  I've got a ridiculous amount of Grain LC & Spore solution sitting in the fridge just waiting to be used (750ml worth).

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!

OfflineKnifeplay
HAIR POLICE
 User Gallery

#9587973 - 01/11/09 06:23 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Like I said it should work.

--------------------

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9587976 - 01/11/09 06:25 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Word, thanks for the encouragement man. 

I'll post pics when I cultivate a nice big batch of trich :smile:

--------------------

OfflineKnifeplay
HAIR POLICE
 User Gallery

#9587982 - 01/11/09 06:26 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Oh man, trich is always fun to grow. It taste so0o0o0o0o0o good.(I'm lying I wouldn't know)

--------------------

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #9588120 - 01/11/09 07:48 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Any size jars will do, just use more solution/lc/g2g to make up for the extra size.

--------------------

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Half-Gallon jars for WBS... [Re: HybridprX]
    #9588131 - 01/11/09 07:58 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

That's what I thought.

I did some searching and saw that RR said that half gallon jars go anerobic in the centers a lot easier than smaller jars.

I figured with a healthy dose of LC (say 8-10ccs?) it should colonize fast enough to not stall out.

Shaking at 30-40% would also help with that I believe.  I just can't believe how fast the last batch of pints I knocked up colonized.  I saw growth in 48 hours and they were completely done in 5 days.  I've never seen that from a MS inoculation.

I'm thinkin if I make a grain LC from my fastest colonizing MS jar it should be a great way to jump start some half gallons.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9588629 - 01/11/09 10:42 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I see you found the post about larger jars going anaerobic in the centers.  If you do choose to use them, place them at a 45 degree angle, which helps the gasses escape, and shake more often.  My experience is that they're no faster than quart jars, and in fact slower.  I have five cases of half gallon jars sitting in the garage.  I'll probably use them for nails, screws, etc. some day.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Half-Gallon jars for WBS... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9588713 - 01/11/09 11:01 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I see you found the post about larger jars going anaerobic in the centers.  If you do choose to use them, place them at a 45 degree angle, which helps the gasses escape, and shake more often.  My experience is that they're no faster than quart jars, and in fact slower.  I have five cases of half gallon jars sitting in the garage.  I'll probably use them for nails, screws, etc. some day.
RR

Well are there any drawbacks to the slower colonizing speed other than time?  If proper sterile procedure is used I shouldn't really see a spike of contamination due to my jars taking an extra week to colonize, should I?

Time isn't really an issue, like I said, I've got more spawn right now than I really know what to do with. 

And yes, if I have a question that needs to be answered I use the search function, enter my question's keywords in, and then enter your name in the user field.  It hasn't failed me yet.

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags