Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Loc: Grey Area
Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question???
    #9547355 - 01/04/09 09:37 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

So my guess as to why this is happening is because the light is reflecting off of the white mycelium of the top of the sub, and reflecting upwards, thereby tricking the fruits to think they should grow down (towards the light).

I am already taking steps to correct this (buying brighter lights), but I am wondering if the damage is already done...

So my questions are...

1) Will correcting the light problem cause the fruits to straighten out (the ones that aren't too far gone, that is), or are those ones doomed to grow upside-down forever?

2) Will the fact that the fruits are growing upside down hurt the final size of said fruits?

-Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question??? [Re: CDS]
    #9547397 - 01/04/09 09:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CDS said:
So my guess as to why this is happening is because the light is reflecting off of the white mycelium of the top of the sub, and reflecting upwards, thereby tricking the fruits to think they should grow down (towards the light).
If light hits it anywhere it causes pinning everywhere... not just where light touches it

I am already taking steps to correct this (buying brighter lights), but I am wondering if the damage is already done...
Damage?

So my questions are...

1) Will correcting the light problem cause the fruits to straighten out (the ones that aren't too far gone, that is), or are those ones doomed to grow upside-down forever?
doomed forever is a bold statement in this hobby since mycelium only survives for a few short months at best when it runs out of nutrients
they will not straighten out

2) Will the fact that the fruits are growing upside down hurt the final size of said fruits?

No

-Thanks

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question??? [Re: CDS]
    #9547414 - 01/04/09 09:46 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

1. The mushrooms will start growing a different direction if the direction of the light source is changed (that isn't to say they will "straighten out").

2. No.

~Pixie~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question??? [Re: Psuper]
    #9547420 - 01/04/09 09:47 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

no they dont P

--------------------

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question??? [Re: P.Menace]
    #9547436 - 01/04/09 09:48 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I clarified my post...u agree?

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question??? [Re: Psuper]
    #9547456 - 01/04/09 09:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

IME/IMO they never follow the lights, I have fruited with the lights above, to the left to the right, behind the tub all together and no light... no differences were noted

plants are plants and they follow the lights, mushrooms are fungus and follow fresh air more so than lights... not to say that they follow air either

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Re: Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question??? [Re: P.Menace]
    #9548015 - 01/04/09 11:01 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Forgive my attempt at literary humor, I meant forever as in the life of that particular fruit(s)... But the reason I think they are orienting themselves toward the light is because in other tubs of the same strain that are moreso directly under the lights, the fruits are normal, whereas the tubs that are farthest from the light have the funky looking fruits. I am thinking the reason this happened is because the light reflected off the mycelial surface is brighter than the light that diffuses through the press-n-seal from above.

But as long as that doesn't affect their final weight I don't really care, except for the fact that it may make it harder for other fruits to pop up right next to the upside-down one, since it is taking up more space...

-THanks

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9548036 - 01/04/09 11:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

now i have a question for you...

Define your terms of "up side down" and how its being applied to mushrooms growing from the substrate...
or post a pic

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#9548087 - 01/04/09 11:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Like the fruit is shaped like an upside-down J, instead of a T like it's supposed to be... Like it comes out of the sub, grows up for a little bit, and then does a complete 180 and starts growing downward...The gills are facing up, there is no veil, and it looks fucking wierd! Others are not as bad- as they are just growing sideways, but few are growing normally. And keep in mind this is the same strain thats growing normally a few feet away in another tub?!?

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9548096 - 01/04/09 11:12 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

verticellium... let me guess.... coir?

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#9548122 - 01/04/09 11:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The tub in question is straw, verm, and dhpoo...

What is Verticillium?

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9548124 - 01/04/09 11:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Mushrooms don't grow directly towards the light. Unlike plants they don't depend on light for the synthesis of their food and thus have no need to catch the most light possible, hence they have no need to grow towards it.
To the contrary. In nature "light" means sunlight. It would not be very helpful for a mushroom to expose itself to as much sunshine as possible, because the only thing this would benefit would be the mushroom drying out. I am not saying that this means that their natural modus operandi is to grow away from the light, but it certainly isn't growing "into the light". Light is only a secondary pinning trigger.
I would reckon that the main reason that they normally grow up and away from the ground is the fact that they want to spread out their spores as widely as possible, which can best be achieved by, well, growing up and away from the ground.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question??? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9548139 - 01/04/09 11:19 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

verticellium is a contamination that causes that 180 degree turn in your fruits, and usually stems from coir itself

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Re: Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question??? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9548155 - 01/04/09 11:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I know mushrooms don't grow towards the light because they need it for photosynthesis, but I thought I read somewhere that they use the light to determine which way is up, so they can grow out of the ground instead of into it, and thereby sporulate and reproduce...

Evolutionarily, a fruit that has its gills facing upward wouldn't be a very good propagator would it?

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9548166 - 01/04/09 11:22 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

oh but some do... there are more types of mushrooms than just the ones we grow....

some have pores on the caps and no gills....
Air will thell them which way is not the dirt too man... this this thru completely

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#9548185 - 01/04/09 11:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

P.Menace said:
verticellium is a contamination that causes that 180 degree turn in your fruits, and usually stems from coir itself

Well that would explain why the other similar tubs aren't affected...

I am using coir in other tubs nearby, but I didn't make them until after the one in question. If verticiulium can travel airborne then maybe thats what happened...

BTW I am going uncased, I don't know if that matters or is important to deducing the cause of all this...

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9548198 - 01/04/09 11:28 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

um im not sure of the airborn contam plausability, or if uncased has anything to do with it... but id suggest maybe a different brand of coir, OR sterilizing for longer

--------------------

Offlinegawn
Stranger

#9548657 - 01/05/09 12:46 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

verticillium whats up with that is it harmful? to eat? and is it from coir? had some fruits grown on coir and had some come up in the shape of a s ? wonder if its the same thing this guy is talking about?

Edited by gawn (01/05/09 12:48 AM)

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question??? [Re: gawn]
    #9548675 - 01/05/09 12:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i dont think its too healthy

--------------------

Offlinegawn
Stranger

#9548709 - 01/05/09 12:56 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i just looked though the search engine coudnt find an answer any opinions on eating fruits with this horrible contaminate ?

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will upside-down growing fruits affect their final size??? & Lighting question??? [Re: gawn]
    #9548718 - 01/05/09 12:58 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I know that I and all the growers around me throw them away cause it also causes a nasty looking yellowing of the stems

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#9548735 - 01/05/09 01:01 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

In that case I don't think that's my problem cuz there's no yellowing at all...

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9548739 - 01/05/09 01:02 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

it happens later rather than sooner, i always noticed it at harvest time

--------------------

Offlinegawn
Stranger

#9548744 - 01/05/09 01:03 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

did some more looking in search engine    whats the best way to avoid this in the future. will polyfill in my other tubs keep it from transfering to them?

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9548756 - 01/05/09 01:06 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i think its in the coir... but not totally sure
i think it was like about 85% of all reported cases coir was the main substrate ingredient and in most cases it was pasturized not sterilized... but i could be wrong and im too lazy to go look right now

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#9548776 - 01/05/09 01:09 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Hey P, what kind of tubs do you use? Are they clear, or opaque? Because I am using opaque gray tubs, and I just realized that may be why you say the direction of the light doesn't matter, because your tubs let light in through the sides as well as the top... Do you think that plays any part in this?

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9548799 - 01/05/09 01:13 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

um no... but yeah i do use clear ones

--------------------

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

#9550962 - 01/05/09 12:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

With normal healthy fruits the caps fruits will right themselves as the spores begin to form, this is called geotropism.

Sterile albinos also often lack a geotropic response.

--------------------
Some things can grow without the light.--RJD

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom