Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
Coughing up black specks
    #9525314 - 12/31/08 08:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i've been coughing up lugis for a while now and they have black specks in them, i could take a picture if need be.

i quit smoking cigarettes a little over a year ago but i've lived with my dad for like 4 years now and he chain smokes inside all day long and refuses to stop.  i do keep the door to my room closed ALL the time and i'll run a fan in my window to blow air in regularly.  im moving out very soon.

i smoke weed off and on.  i haven't smoked in a handful of days though and was planning on smoking tonight.

i have a cold right now and i think that may be contributing to the black stuff im coughing up.

i've read that it's normal for marijuana smokers to cough this up and that cigarette smokers dont.  is this true?

how bad is this black stuff?  should i see my doctor about it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledjmako7
Antitransubstantiationalist
 User Gallery

Loc: A shady spot under a tree
Re: Coughing up black specks [Re: LayYouIn]
    #9525322 - 12/31/08 08:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

its tar from smoking. You should run and yell more often to break that shit up

--------------------

Offlineunretarded
Tick and poisionoak collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali
    #9525323 - 12/31/08 08:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Cant hurt to talk to the doc .
I hack up a little brown stuff ,contained in a clear coating sumtimes......:shrug:

--------------------
I love our leaders and the feds ,they are great people and the laws they make help us!:rofl2:

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: Coughing up black specks [Re: djmako7]
    #9525340 - 12/31/08 08:16 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

could it be a sign of lung cancer or anything?

is it normal for a person that hasn't smoked in a year to be coughing it up?  i smoked lightly for four years.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #9525363 - 12/31/08 08:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Doesn't sound very normal to me.  Then again, I have no experience with second hand smoke and don't know if your exposure might cause that to happen.  I coughed up shit when smoked 1gram of weed per day for many months and hookah every day besides.  The black shit stopped shortly after I quit both and now 2 years later I smoke about a pack a week and don't cough up shit.

I'd wait to see a doc until after I've moved out for a month or so.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

#9525368 - 12/31/08 08:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i don't smoke cigarettes and i cough up all kinds of funky shit

including black stuff

unless there is blood or something, i think your ok

--------------------
for all y’all niggaz out there that be puffin shit
when the music go on, y’all listen to this alright

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: Coughing up black specks [Re: TODAY]
    #9525374 - 12/31/08 08:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
I'd wait to see a doc until after I've moved out for a month or so.

that's sounds like good plan.  it's probley just the weed and the paranoia from not smoking for a very short time.

i guess ill completely stop smoking everything, and wait two months before going to my doctor.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #9525381 - 12/31/08 08:27 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Don't get me wrong, if you have access t;o a doctor and health insurance you should go see the doc if you are that worried. 

I offer the advice I offered because I don't have a doctor or health insurance.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

#9525407 - 12/31/08 08:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i do have health insurance...ill probley for in a couple weeks.

any idea on how much a lung scan cost?

Offlinealteredx
road man for the lords of karma

#9525413 - 12/31/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

My guess is that you have a lung infection with cold-like symptoms.  The black spots are dried blood specks from damaged lung tissue due to the infection.  Call a doctor.

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: Coughing up black specks [Re: alteredx]
    #9525426 - 12/31/08 08:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

im certain i do have a cold, my nose is running, my eyes have that shitty feel, i feel tired, sneezing, etc.  usually my sicknesses dont last long.

OfflineBig_Whoop
giver of two shits
Male User Gallery

Loc: southern ontario Flag
    #9525476 - 12/31/08 08:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

the reason your coughing this shit up now that you have a cold is because your lungs are forcing up mucus to help get rid of this cold and the black shit is just along for the ride. its always there if youre a constant pot smoker but it comes up in the mornings if your sick. i hate thinkin about that shit..

--------------------

the pillars of the universe are taking a break at the moment, please call again

OfflineCokedUpHobit64
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Coughing up black specks [Re: Big_Whoop]
    #9525487 - 12/31/08 08:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Big_Whoop said:
the reason your coughing this shit up now that you have a cold is because your lungs are forcing up mucus to help get rid of this cold and the black shit is just along for the ride. its always there if youre a constant pot smoker but it comes up in the mornings if your sick. i hate thinkin about that shit..

Sounds about right.

No need too worry.

--------------------
So good to see you, I've missed you so much.

Invisiblethescientist

Loc: Dade County
    #9525503 - 12/31/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

second hand smoke is worse cuz its unfiltered

move out

get some excersise

youll be a;right mate

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: Coughing up black specks [Re: Big_Whoop]
    #9525504 - 12/31/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

your probley right.  i was just reading a long thread about it i found on another forum.

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Coughing_up_flem_with_black_strands_of_flem_in_it-t75019-0-asc-10.html

how is one to know when their lungs are all clear?  i usually dont cough up this much and i cant keep getting colds to clear out my lungs.  are there any home made test that are easily affordable?

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

#9530471 - 01/02/09 01:41 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

today i tried something new...i kept breathing in and out and deeply as i could and then i coughed really hard...the result...huge gobs of black crap.  in one cough, enough to cover a penny.

i also noticed that up close, there are red spots in it.  it looks like blood too.  who knows though, with how tiny the red spots were, i have have been coughing it up for a while...i've never actually torn it apart and looked up close.

my lungs are hurting but i think it's the cold.  i was working out outside a lot and it's pretty cold here in oregon.  i also work in a pretty cold environment.

could i have just caught a really bad cold?

edit: right now i have a little tool wedging the door tightly shut, socks jammed under the door, and tape over the biggest cracks.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
    #9530503 - 01/02/09 01:51 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

For me personally, I cough up black shit fairly constantly and have smoked weed for ten plus years very habitually, and haven't smoked cigs for many years. It comes up more when I have been smoking less pot than normal.

As far as I was taught, when you cough up shit it is usually your lungs healing and getting rid of all the resins in your lungs. Black for weed, yellow for cigs.

I have never heard of coughing black specks when you have a cold unless you are also a smoker of something.

Again this is only in my experiences.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #9530513 - 01/02/09 01:55 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

LayYouIn said:
i've been coughing up lugis for a while now and they have black specks in them, i could take a picture if need be.

i quit smoking cigarettes a little over a year ago but i've lived with my dad for like 4 years now and he chain smokes inside all day long and refuses to stop.  i do keep the door to my room closed ALL the time and i'll run a fan in my window to blow air in regularly.  im moving out very soon.

i smoke weed off and on.  i haven't smoked in a handful of days though and was planning on smoking tonight.

i have a cold right now and i think that may be contributing to the black stuff im coughing up.

i've read that it's normal for marijuana smokers to cough this up and that cigarette smokers dont.  is this true?

how bad is this black stuff?  should i see my doctor about it?

"Usually black phlegm or black streaks within phlegm is due to inhaled particles or soot that is coughed up and out after it is inhaled.  Most often this occurs after working in a particularly dusty environment such as a coal mine.

Another possibility is that the black streaks are old blood that can be a dark maroon or even blackish color.  Bloody phlegm can be caused by bronchitis or other pulmonary infection or blood coming from the sinuses after severe sinusitis.  Some infections can also cause a very dark color to phlegm.

It would be beneficial for you to see your primary care physician and, if possible, bring in a sample of the phlegm for analysis.  If this continues, it will be very important to determine the exact cause so that appropriate treatment can be started."
http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/44713.htm

"If you look at the phlegm under a microscope you will see black specks. These are not hairs - they are actually little plugs of tar that have come out of the micro air-ways in your lungs.

It might many months, even as long as a year, for your lungs to clear (depending on how much and how long you smoked). The majority of the 'black' filth should be expelled from your lungs (with the help of the newly growth cilia) in the first 3 months after you quit smoking. -You will probably be amazed at just how much of your lungs were plugged with tar.

It is not uncommon to get lung pain (a bit like mild heart-burn) after quitting smoking as there is a massive repair job in progress. This might last many months.

If you still have lung pain and/or are coughing up phlegm with black speckles in it after a year, I recommend you see a doctor to get help with lung recovery (probably just advice will be given, but perhaps medicine might be required)."
http://www.steadyhealth.com/Coughing_up_flem_with_black_strands_of_flem_in_it_t75019.html

"Why marijuana smokers cough up black phlegm and cigarette smokers do not:

The main thing going on here is the difference between bronchial dilators and constrictors. Tobacco is a bronchial constrictor whereas Cannabis is a bronchial dilator; this means smoking tobacco will tighten and close the pathways in your lungs where Cannabis will open them up. Nicotine constricts terminal bronchioles in lungs, which keeps tars trapped in the tissue. Its there these chemicals do their worst. THC and the chemicals associated with MJ are dilators. This allows the particulate matter (black mucus) etc., to be expelled, thereby eliminating their effects "on contact" with lung tissue. Anytime you smoke you’re going to have a presence of mucus.

For me MJ has a slight allergic reaction just like my everyday allergies. However it is this very bodily reaction that protects us from long term contacts with allergens, by allowing "matter" to be trapped and expelled. So, the "Black Phlegm" is a good thing.

post note:
(1) THC is a bronchial dilator, which means it works like a cough drop by opening up your lungs and therefore aiding in the clearance of smoke and dirt. Nicotine has the exact opposite effect. (5) Unlike the chemicals in marijuana, nicotine has a paralyzing effect on the tiny hairs along the body's air passages. These hairs normally work to keep foreign matter out of the lungs. This means that carcinogenic tar from cigarette smoke is relatively much harder to purge from your lungs than is that from marijuana.

[1] Heath, R.G., A.T. Fitzjarrell, C.J. Fontana, and R.E. Garey. "Cannabis sativa: Effects on brain function and ultrastructure in Rhesus monkeys," Biological Psychiatry. 15:657-690, 1980."
http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=62318;article=13310;

Hope that helps
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=coughing+up+black+flem&btnG=Google+Search&aq=0&oq=coughing+up+blac

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: Coughing up black specks [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9530536 - 01/02/09 02:02 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
"If you look at the phlegm under a microscope you will see black specks. These are not hairs - they are actually little plugs of tar that have come out of the micro air-ways in your lungs.

this reminds me.  i emptied the garbage can in my room today and at the bottom was very thick black tar from me hacking it up and spitting in it.  it's actually still there, a very large amount, i could take pictures... :naughty: (tomorrow)

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
    #9530553 - 01/02/09 02:06 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome. I am excited to see pics.

I am a sick fuck.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale