Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezachv15165
Stranger

laminar flow hood - getting started
    #9438481 - 12/15/08 05:31 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

hey everyone,

im new to the shroomery community but have always been checkin out the helpful teks and galleries. im somewhat of a noob when it comes to cultivation, only growing a few times about a year ago. i used the pf tek but in place of brown rice flour i chose to use white wheat grain with decent outcomes. i wanted higher yields but was afraid to case in a cropping container because i never had a flow hood to help prevent contaminates. not only that but i now want to isolate strains as well. 

i hear that a good laminar flow hood should, @ .75"-1.00" static pressure, flow 100 cfm. 

i purchased a couple things last week to build my first flow hood and what i am wondering is if my filter/blower combo will work. could someone look up each and confirm if it will or wont work:

filter - http://blueairstore.com/product/689122000411.html
  blower - http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1TDR9

i have a feeling the blower isnt going to push enough air. also, if anyone has proven parts of similar dimensions, let me know. all of your help is greatly appreciated.

zachv

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: laminar flow hood - getting started [Re: zachv15165]
    #9438497 - 12/15/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Did you just guess on the blower?  I don't know much about building hoods, but you should have waited to find out what you need for your filter specifically.  Who knows, maybe it's right tho.  :shrug:

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

#9438558 - 12/15/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

no matter what the static pressure is, your flow should equal 100 feet per minute (FPM).  The static pressure will affect how much feet per minute your blower must put out (the higher the static pressure, the more initial FPM you will need from your blower to attain 100 FPM).

your blower and your filter should have data sheets on the static pressure, and charts on the static pressure compared to how much air you need to push through it to get the desired output.

i'm gonna point you towards this site http://www.fungifun.org/English/Flowhood and tell you to scroll halfway down, and do your own homework...

--------------------
[url=http:

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
Re: laminar flow hood - getting started [Re: J3illy]
    #9438579 - 12/15/08 05:46 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

That filter is built for an air cleaner for a room, not for a laminar flow. There's lots of converation about Laminar Flow but, you need a specific amount of static pressure generated by the filter (back pressure) and to create a laminar flow.

This filter will just blow a heck of alot of turbulant clean air which really isn't nearly as good as a laminar flow hood. Its equivalent to sitting in front of a Room Air Purifier. So yes its a cleaner option but its nothing to a Laminar Flow Hood and your going to run into issues off and on using it. I've heard of guys using "homemade flow hoods" so I can't say how well/poor they work but, personally I'd go with a glovebox (still air) or build a Laminar Flow Hood properly.

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Flowhood

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Edited by Mephistophelian (12/15/08 05:53 PM)

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#9438598 - 12/15/08 05:48 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It is not volume of air you wish to move - 100 cfm (cubic feet per minute) you are trying to achieve.  It is an air SPEED of 100 feet per minute.  Since your filter is approximately 2.5 cubic feet you will need a blower that will blow about 250 cfm at the static pressure of the hepa and pre-filter combined. 

If we look at the details on that blower at only .6" static pressure the output drops to 50 cfm.  Not suitable.

Also I don't know if that filter will work.  It is only 6" thick and may not be designed for laminar flow.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
Re: laminar flow hood - getting started [Re: musher_420]
    #9438648 - 12/15/08 05:54 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Laminar flow HEPA's are pleated.

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag