Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSuicideCommando
Seeker
Male User Gallery

Why veils breaking with mushies so small?
    #9423657 - 12/13/08 11:23 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I noticed this on most of my others cakes I harvested, and on my 5th cake now which is a bit behind the others its the same thing. The veils are breaking and the caps opening when the mushrooms are not that big. I've looked up lots of pics of EQ's people grew and he majority look bigger than these, the biggest one on this 1 cake isn't even 2 inches tall, and the veils is breaking, and I've seen lots of people say pick it after the veil breaks. Why are the veils breaking on my mushrooms while they are still so small? When I dry all these out I'm gonna have next to nothing :frown:

--------------------
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMartMan
Some Guy
 User Gallery

Re: Why veils breaking with mushies so small? [Re: SuicideCommando]
    #9423665 - 12/13/08 11:28 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Hows your moisture content in your cakes and humidity in your FC? Both of these factors have given me similar results in the past on cakes.

OfflineSuicideCommando
Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Why veils breaking with mushies so small? [Re: MartMan]
    #9423696 - 12/13/08 11:37 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Well I have no device for gauging RH but I mist the shit out of my FC like 6 times a day, fan each time too. The cakes were all dunked prior to being put in the FC.
I am so going monotub for my next grow.

--------------------

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9423764 - 12/13/08 11:55 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If your fanning/misting that much, it seems like a problem w/ the humidity.  They really need as high a humidity as possible.  I'm fruiting Mycobags right now that don't get fanned at all, and only have the little filter-patch for FAE - and my biggest ones were like 5" with the veil still fully attached.  But the RH in there is definitely high.  I'd definitely get a hygro in there to see what's up.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9423773 - 12/13/08 11:57 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If you haven't gotten the brf tek down, wait until you do before trying to grow bulk.  No other substrate will deliver the biological efficiency of brf cakes.  Either your cakes are dry, or you're not providing proper lighting.  I suspect the former.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSuicideCommando
Seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: Why veils breaking with mushies so small? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9423781 - 12/13/08 11:59 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

should I maybe try taping up some of the holes on my FC and see if the 2nd flush improves?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9423816 - 12/13/08 12:10 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Why would you do something to hinder the number ONE pinning trigger?  If your cakes are dry, dunk them.  Even in the middle of a flush you can set the cakes in a saucer of water to re-hydrate.  Don't do anything to hinder fresh air exchange.  Doing so will hinder pin formation and encourage molds, which thrive in stale air.

Pick up your cakes.  If they're dry, you can tell by their light weight.  If so, do the above and also put a pile of verm on top of the cake and soak it well with water.  This will hydrate the cake from both ends.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9423869 - 12/13/08 12:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry to thread-jack, but RR I'm fruiting some Mycobags right now.  My 1st bag I didn't get a chance to dunk before the 1st flush, and there's a TON of little mushies in there.  I just harvested the 1st couple big ones last night, and there's literally another 30-40 in there still, all varying sizes. 

Now I wanna give it a nice dunk before the next flush, but I'm unsure when to call this 1st one over - and whether or not I should pick EVERYTHING.  I mean part of me wants to leave the small ones and hope they survive a dunk - but the other part wants to just pick everything, and start the next flush w/ a clean slate.  Opinions?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Why veils breaking with mushies so small? [Re: J3illy]
    #9424098 - 12/13/08 01:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Leave any non-aborted pins in place.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineSuicideCommando
Seeker
Male User Gallery

#9424146 - 12/13/08 01:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the advice man. All my cakes (except the 1) have been dunked again for close to 20 hours and are now back in the FC. If they seem to dry out fast, I'll try what you said. :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds