Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblecacharstar
Strange is good...
Male

Loc: The West Coast
so I am new here.. Any felow bee keepers pressing wax?
    #9330110 - 11/29/08 12:28 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I have been pressing wax this week. If you have done it then you know the job sucks. But last time I checked around wax was selling for $1.75 a pound. We put our honey mix through a  cappings spinner so it should be good slum. can you relate? Anyone still have cappings? The system is an old one. the molds are comeing out darker then I want them. Therfore I was also wondering if there was an easy way to get the wax lighter.  I know lots of water but is there some trick that I am missing? I saw bee keeping listed in this forum so I thought why not post.
  Oh and if you have any honey for sale I know a guy in the bay area that is looking for some honey to make wine.  Mine is already bottled so..  He needs 12 gallons and wants to pay around $25 a gallon

--------------------
:irishtoast:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: so I am new here.. Any felow bee keepers pressing wax? [Re: cacharstar]
    #9331040 - 11/29/08 07:48 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The color of bees wax can very from light to dark brown..

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlinebrshroomer
Moss bear hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: so I am new here.. Any felow bee keepers pressing wax? [Re: Brainiac]
    #9336142 - 11/30/08 07:54 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

if it's old wax it'll be darker naturally, and maybe a litle more britle than the new wax, but i don't see a possible problem..you just want it lighter?

and do tell about your bees ;D, how many hives? Apis mellifera L. ?

i'm looking into bee keeping, mostly for native bees that i find here, they can't sting, so they're cool to have around, in the city that's the only one you can raise safely. the species i'm going to have here is Tetragonisca angustula angustula.

--------------------

trade list & wanted list

pinning triggers

OfflineAsric
Fueled By Satan
 User Gallery

Re: so I am new here.. Any felow bee keepers pressing wax? [Re: brshroomer]
    #9342729 - 12/01/08 09:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Depending on what your bees primarily feed on I may be willing to make a substantial offer for honey.

Specialty honey is very hard to come by in some mediums now that casltemark has closed down.

I am huge into brewing, vintning and maizing and bee keeping has always been interesting to me. I would like to try it someday, perhaps in my retirement if I am ever so lucky.

--------------------
Looking to trade for:
Wedges of: Golden Oyster, Pink Oyster, Shaggy Mane, Stropharia R.
Prints of: Z strain, Treasure Coast, Exotics, Morels
Have to trade:
Wedges: Pearl Oyster, Wellington Oyster, Grey Oyster, Lion's Mane
Prints: B+
Other stuff: Micro centrifuge tubes, Home made artisan bouillon in chicken and shellfish (lobster and shrimp), Homemade pecan smoked salt

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: so I am new here.. Any felow bee keepers pressing wax? [Re: Asric]
    #9342752 - 12/01/08 09:17 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Invisiblecacharstar
Strange is good...
Male

Re: so I am new here.. Any fellow bee keepers pressing wax? [Re: brshroomer]
    #9360964 - 12/03/08 07:25 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

brshroomer said:
if it's old wax it'll be darker naturally, and maybe a litle more britle than the new wax, but i don't see a possible problem..you just want it lighter?

and do tell about your bees ;D, how many hives? Apis mellifera L. ?

I'm looking into bee keeping, mostly for native bees that i find here, they can't sting, so they're cool to have around, in the city that's the only one you can raise safely. the species I'm going to have here is Tetragonisca angustula angustula.

I just checked on the price and light wax is selling for 2.20 a lb and dark for 2.05..  So that is the reason to try and get it lighter.  We run upwards of 600 hives in the peak season and dabble in a bit of queen making. Our bees are Apis mellifera, (Honey Bee For the observer). We run a hybrid queen between the Italian and Caucasian strands. They can be testy little buggers; but they build up good brood and that is what we want.  Where do you live? Stingless bee's eh?  Do they produce a honey crop?  At least you don't have to worry about African crosses.

--------------------

Invisiblecacharstar
Strange is good...
Male

Re: so I am new here.. Any felow bee keepers pressing wax? [Re: Asric]
    #9361106 - 12/03/08 07:42 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Asric said:
Depending on what your bees primarily feed on I may be willing to make a substantial offer for honey.

Specialty honey is very hard to come by in some mediums now that casltemark has closed down.

I am huge into brewing, vintning and maizing and bee keeping has always been interesting to me. I would like to try it someday, perhaps in my retirement if I am ever so lucky.

The jar in the pic above is what I have.  The nectar source was mostly Star thistle, Mexican sage, and other wild flowers in the Coastal California area.(South bay to Salinas Valley). I can get any variety you need, but my honey is already bottled for market. I have bakers grade as well, but that makes crappy mead. Send me an e-mail and we can talk more.

--------------------

Offlinebrshroomer
Moss bear hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: so I am new here.. Any fellow bee keepers pressing wax? [Re: cacharstar]
    #9363622 - 12/04/08 03:34 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, there are quite a few species of them...i'm from Brazil.

they do produce honey but very little,1kg max a year for the 'jatai'(species i mentioned, their honey is considered medicinal) , yet, some species can produce much more, 'uruçu' can produce 30kg of honey in a year.. no match to the Apis mellifera though, just easier handling.

600 hives!that's awesome.:awesome:, it's also cool to have someone else interested in bee keeping in the forum.

--------------------

trade list & wanted list

pinning triggers

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: so I am new here.. Any fellow bee keepers pressing wax? [Re: cacharstar]
    #9374954 - 12/05/08 07:11 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

[We] dabble in a bit of queen making.

What type of system do you use?

I am getting the Jenter queen-rearing kit for Christmas. Can't wait for next spring to get started!

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: so I am new here.. Any felow bee keepers pressing wax? [Re: cacharstar]
    #9375311 - 12/05/08 08:07 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cacharstar said:
  Oh and if you have any honey for sale I know a guy in the bay area that is looking for some honey to make wine.  Mine is already bottled so..  He needs 12 gallons and wants to pay around $25 a gallon

its too bad were on opposite sides of the country, i know a place that i can get honey $20 a gallon, probably cheaper at 10+ gallons.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom