Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ]
    #9366932 - 12/04/08 04:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Sheriff's officer admits stealing drugs from evidence room then selling them to dealers
December 4, 2008 - nj.com

After 18 years with the Passaic County Sheriff's department, Alan Souto was entrusted with 24-hour access to a vault filled with criminal evidence, including lots of cocaine.

In the words of his lawyer, Miles Feinstein: "Something went wrong."

Today, Souto - a former Haledon Borough councilman - admitted in federal court to stealing more than 11 pounds of cocaine from the bunker-like vault in Wayne. The father of four and one-time Eagle Scout said he replaced the stolen drugs with bags of sugar and passed the real stuff to drug dealers in exchange for a $250,000 cut of their sales.

"This is a disturbing crime on several levels, not the least of which is the fact that Souto was a ranking law enforcement officer and elected local official while he was doing this," Acting U.S. Attorney Ralph J. Marra Jr. said

Feinstein described the detective-sergeant as a once-exemplary family man whose judgment was derailed by personal troubles, which the lawyer said he would describe at Souto's sentencing.

The lawman-turned-felon - who earned more than $110,000 a year according to state records - stood before U.S. District Judge Jose Linares wearing a dark suit over his bulky frame. He spoke softly and bowed his head as he told the judge he had never been treated for drug or alcohol addiction.

"No, sir," he said.

Souto grew up in Passaic County, where he became an Eagle Scout in 1984. He joined the sheriff's department as a corrections officer roughly four years later, when he was about 20.

Souto moved to Haledon in August 2003, served briefly on the school board and ran for the borough council as a Democrat in 2005, according to local news accounts. Among his campaign promises were making streets safer for children.

His own four children are elementary-school age and include fraternal twins. He coached youth football and sat atop the dunk tank at the 2006 Haledon Independence Day picnic.

"He was a committed family man," Haledon Mayor Domenick Stampone said.

By September 2006, Souto had joined the Passaic County Sheriff's evidence unit and was given an access card to the vault. The 25-by-20 foot windowless chamber has concrete walls and is filled with items seized during investigations, things like guns, burglars' tools and drugs.

At some point, Souto began slipping inside after hours and helping himself. While he officially pleaded guilty to taking 11 pounds of cocaine, Souto acknowledged to authorities in court documents that he stole much more: 95 pounds of cocaine and 1.5 pounds of heroin.

"Did you place the narcotics inside plastics freezer bags," assistant U.S. attorney Chris Gramiccioni asked during today's hearing in Newark.

"Yes, sir," Souto said.

After replacing the cocaine with sugar, he resealed the evidence bags with tape, authorities said. Part of Souto's job was burning drugs after cases were completed. But he kept some out of the fire and funneled it to his partners, who sold it in Passaic County and other places, authorities said.

Investigators hope to soon have the dealers in custody, said J.W. McCann, a chief assistant Passaic County prosecutor.

In February, a GPS device was reported missing from the evidence. Souto was suspended, and investigators took a hard look at the vault.

"It became apparent at that point that a lot of (cocaine) had been swapped out for sugar," McCann said.

The Passaic County Prosecutor's Office launched an investigation, and Souto was arrested in March. He abruptly resigned from the Haledon Borough, leaving neighbors stunned.

"It turns out he had another life or another existence that we didn't know anything about," Stampone said.

Souto pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute and possession with intent to distribute cocaine. He was released on $300,000 bail and is scheduled to be sentenced March 10.

His crime carries a minimum term of 10 years. But the judge could impose a lesser sentence after considering Souto's background and crime.

Feinstein, Souto's lawyer, spoke after the hearing of his client's fall.

"He was living the American dream," Feinstein said. "And then all of the sudden...he became a different individual."

--------------------
Same problem ... Same solution!
TAKE ACTION TO END TODAY'S FAILED PROHIBITION

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSolomonTheShaman
I love to travel
Male

Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: veggie]
    #9366987 - 12/04/08 04:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Such bullshit.  Anyone else, they'd totally throw the book at.  But because of his "background", he'll get a reduced sentence in Club Fed.  Selective reinforcement frustrates the hell out of me.  Plus, he was already making 100K a year "according to state records".  That's pretty sweet pay for a Sheriff.  What a putz.

--------------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mohandas Gandhi

Offlinemoe.phan
listening for the secret
Male User Gallery

Loc: searching for the sound
Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: veggie]
    #9366991 - 12/04/08 04:54 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

no surprise there. crooked cops are everywhere.

OfflineTheAxis
Run like a cantalope
Male

Loc: New Jersey
    #9367003 - 12/04/08 04:57 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

thats like 15 minutes away from me, crooked ass cops. Even tho i would be tempted too with acess to 100s of pounds of drugs lol

--------------------
When you make your peace with authority, you become authority
                                    Jim Morrison

Offlinetical41689 Happy Birthday!
keepin' it irie
Male

Loc: []**[][]MiL-ToWn[][]**[]
Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: TheAxis]
    #9367207 - 12/04/08 05:29 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

bullshit. throw the book at his hipocritic ass.
if anything, crooked cops should get time added to their sentence not the opposite. these fucks are payed good money to police their area and then they start dealing? wtf? :thumbdown:

OfflineAnarchyXx420xX
nomnomnom
Male User Gallery

Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: tical41689]
    #9367301 - 12/04/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

ridiculous, cops should get longer sentences as tical41689 stated

lock that bitch uppp

--------------------
:apple: I love ratings :apple:

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: moe.phan]
    #9367633 - 12/04/08 06:32 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

No shit, if i had 24 hour access to 95 pounds of cocaine and 1.5 pounds of heroin i would have done the same thing.  Except i would have not taken all of it i would have taken most of it, and cut the rest so the amount of coke/heroin was so minute.  Then reseal it and put it back in the evidence room.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #9367690 - 12/04/08 06:41 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

according to this article in NJ
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7487805#7487805
15 lbs of coke is $500,000
so 95 pounds of cocaine is over 3 million dollars
thats ridiculous he said he only got $250k thats so fucking LIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

--------------------

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: Coaster]
    #9367702 - 12/04/08 06:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah he was making millions with 95 pounds of yay.  It doesn't matter what he says

--------------------

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #9367731 - 12/04/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

ya i was at first surprised he addmitting making money
but then i was like wait thats like 1/12 of wut he was really making

--------------------

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: Coaster]
    #9367812 - 12/04/08 06:56 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This shit is so obvious- it happens all over the country. The law in the US has been supplying drugs for 30 years. Just go watch American gangster. ITs funny they try to act like "what could have went wrong?" nothing, the guy had the plan the whole fucking time.

--------------------

OfflineSolomonTheShaman
I love to travel
Male

Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: rodfarva]
    #9367835 - 12/04/08 07:00 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

What's fucked is if we, the average Joe, get busted with a bit of weed (depending on your state), you're looking at probie/jail time with ridiculous amounts of fines.  Here in GA, with anything under 30 grams of just weed, it's like, a year probation and thousands of dollars of fees.  Make the crooked fucks pay for it, they can afford it to seems like.

--------------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mohandas Gandhi

Offlinedestructo_low
Oh yeah!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: SolomonTheShaman]
    #9368039 - 12/04/08 07:33 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

How the fuck do you get caught? You guard the drugs and burn them! It is impossible to get caught.

--------------------
There is a molecule for every purpose. There are only actions and reactions. Cut out the middle men. Everything I say is a lie.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: destructo_low]
    #9368677 - 12/04/08 08:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It's fairly easy to get busted when all you see in your field of vision are dollar signs.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: SuperD]
    #9368904 - 12/04/08 09:31 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, i agree with cognitive, if i was gonna steal that shit i wouldnt be dumb enough to replace it with fucking sugar, anybody could tell what it really was. Do what drug dealers do, just take like 2/3 of it and cut the rest with baby laxitives and shit, what he did was just dumb and greedy

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Offlinemudkip
I heard U Like Me!
Male

Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: bloodsheen]
    #9370871 - 12/05/08 07:59 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Agreed^ Very very dumb, espessially considering he had 24 hour access.

--------------------

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: mudkip]
    #9371338 - 12/05/08 10:09 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

"is crime carries a minimum term of 10 years. But the judge could impose a lesser sentence after considering Souto's background and crime."

absolute bullshit. sentence him to death! he is supposed to be an upstanding citizen and a role model of how to obey the law through the enforcement of it.

shouldnt someone who is trapped in the ghetto get a lesser sentence since they dont have the means to achieve any sort of positive background?

InvisibleGeomancer
Seeker of Wisdom
Loc: the shadows of your mind
    #9373194 - 12/05/08 03:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
His crime carries a minimum term of 10 years. But the judge could impose a lesser sentence after considering Souto's background and crime.

What the fuck?  How does that make any sense at all?  If anything, they should impose a much stiffer sentence considering his background and crime.  The US justice system is such bullshit...

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: Geomancer]
    #9373295 - 12/05/08 03:20 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I thought the judge would throw the book at him for corruption. What he did is really bad for police PR.

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: Green_T]
    #9373316 - 12/05/08 03:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Police do this all the time, the getting caught part is bad for the PR.

--------------------

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Re: Sheriff's officer admits stealing 95lbs of coke, 1.5 lbs of heroin [NJ] [Re: tealeaf]
    #9373317 - 12/05/08 03:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tealeaf said:
"is crime carries a minimum term of 10 years. But the judge could impose a lesser sentence after considering Souto's background and crime."

absolute bullshit. sentence him to death! he is supposed to be an upstanding citizen and a role model of how to obey the law through the enforcement of it.

shouldnt someone who is trapped in the ghetto get a lesser sentence since they dont have the means to achieve any sort of positive background?

ya seriously he should get it even harsher

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom