Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery

Loc: Festival of Deaths
Re: Becker on death anxiety. [Re: Icelander]
    #9333371 - 11/29/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The only thing that REALLY bothers
me about death is I hope my last thought
isn't something like "top 40 radio isn't
what it use to be"

Then I go off into the never-life with a last
gasp of lameness breath.

I'd deal though-I've said jokes that seemed like I
died.

Bad jokes are unavoidable, so I don't worry about them that much.

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Becker on death anxiety. [Re: Kupo]
    #9333411 - 11/29/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mrspirit2 said:
I really don't feel that I fear death as you say I should.

Next time you do a high dose of mushrooms, think about death.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

OfflineKupo
Kupop!

Re: Becker on death anxiety. [Re: Grapefruit]
    #9333473 - 11/29/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I mean, please understand this one thing. I am not going to go and put myself into situations in which I might die, or take serious physical harm(depending). That action may be considered by yourself as an anxiety of death.

So, the subsequent joy experienced by base jumpers, skydivers, and any other "extreme" sport fans are discounted as death anxiety? I do recognize that it is usually well controlled and the person(s) involved have that in mind..

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: Becker on death anxiety. [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9333542 - 11/29/08 06:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I believe that anyone who claims to have overcome or "transcended" the fear of death should be forced to play Russian roulette while having their blood pressure monitored.

OfflineKupo
Kupop!

Re: Becker on death anxiety. [Re: it stars saddam]
    #9334200 - 11/29/08 08:29 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Of course that would raise your blood pressure

But that doesn't mean people do not do it. Why would you play russian roulette? Lets play with death. You call that death anxiety? If you're playing russian roulette willingly, that's death awareness. You are completely aware that you could die.

Besides, if your brains splatter than you have nothing to worry.

Or is it the fear that you might have to worry about it that causes your anxiety?

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #9334741 - 11/29/08 10:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Give your attention to death/nothingness and i believe you will see you are afraid of the inevitabilty of the lack of experience it entails. You may be able to consciously reason that it is inevitable but in the same way that inevitability and acceptance would make the idea of torture no less scary in itself, death is no less frightening as a concept.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineKupo
Kupop!

#9335337 - 11/30/08 01:27 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I am experiencing confusion on this subject.

The only anxiety I understand is the anxiety LEADING UP to death and such situations.

Death is much less frightening to me than torture. Would you rather be tortured for the rest of eternity?

Torture is extremely frightening because of the physical and mental pain you are feeling. I would assume that the eventual death would be a blessing to one experiencing horrendous tortures.

When I give my attention to death/nothingness, I can not conceive of it in my mind(call it lack of awareness if you will). I do not fear lack of experience, all I have known is experience. If it ceases to be, I cease to be. Done deal. What anxiety is to come from this?

I am now dead.

I return from the state in which I began. Nothing. We would not be feeling, so why the anxiety? Why the fear of losing this?

It implies that there is something else to be feared, the unknown. Not knowing. Nothing is not knowing. We now know nothings nature, so we become nothing.
If this thing that we fear we eventually become, than anxiety of death is useless. (I do not fear the inevitability)

We want to survive of course.. So in that sense than I can agree that we ultimately eat and drink and do everything we do daily to keep ourselves LIVING. Every task can be looked at as avoiding death. We continue to toil just to live. It reminds me of times when I am tripping on salvia, and I feel I am being shoved into this world by some sort of all-powerful, conveyor belt operating robots, forcing me to continue as they giggle and apologize for returning me to this world.. Sort of Matrix-esque.

Is this what you mean by death anxiety pumping the life into your veins?

I live daily to live
I will die eventually while trying to still live.
I'm content without a purpose, non heroic and willing to continue eating delicious cheeseburgers until the day that I die.

I do however, believe death anxiety cannot be the only driving force behind all of our actions.

Perhaps seperation anxiety is also at cause. You just might be afraid of losing yourself!:lol:

This is just what I think..

Edited by Kupo (11/30/08 01:29 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#9336111 - 11/30/08 07:30 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

that is a good logical approach

WRT Becker's Death Anxiety work, it has a lot to do with social and personal Hero Myth integration.

as if two completely ILLOGICAL things (death anxiety, and hero myths) some how when alchemically blended together, cancel eachother out.

the work is interesting to me in that the treatment, which is addressing one's personal Hero Mythology, removes the Death Anxiety, in the same way as Acupuncture precisely heals things at other points in the body when pins are placed according to formula.

this indirect wiring issue bypasses superficial logic, or forces one to consider the non-linear way the brain operates -
abstracting simmilar motifs and patterns from radically different signal input patterns.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#9336655 - 11/30/08 11:08 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

IMO it isn't death itself that is the fear and you are correct on this. It's the fear of non existence. Of no longer having anything at all. This is very very difficult to get ones head around because the personality or ego structure is expert at hiding it an denying it. The goal being NOT to feel death anxiety; if your ego/personality structure was not doing it's job in distracting you from direct awareness you would feel overwhelming anxiety. Hence your confusion about it. You can't directly feel it. Good job.:lol:

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#9336899 - 11/30/08 11:53 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I could directly feel it and often did when i was very young. I had a lot less distraction techniques back then, i have since become quite skilled :grin:. I remember it as being one of the most frightening ways to go to sleep.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#9336937 - 11/30/08 12:01 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, da boogy man. :pope:

--------------------

OfflineBernackums
The universe will have its way.
Male User Gallery

#9336980 - 11/30/08 12:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

if your ego/personality structure was not doing it's job in distracting you from direct awareness you would feel overwhelming anxiety.

The first night I read this thread I had nothing to do but lay about and enjoy my new headphones, this resulted in provoking some thoughts on death I had buried a while back. I live my life free of worry of death, not thinking of it consciously because this is the only reasonable thing a person can do from my experience; embrace the inevitable. I connect this to how mrspirit2 feels, assuming he doesn't fear his eventual non-existance.

Laying and thinking I started undigging my thoughts on death and why I really have little reaction to it, and I ended up back to the beginning. It felt as if I was a child who was naked to his fears, not having set up any psychological defenses, and I was absolutely overwhelmed by my fear and anxiety of death. I was astonished by how much I actually have.

Really I think what had happened is that I've never questioned what happens after death, I put up a wall that read "There is no point, you don't know, you can't know, don't go any further." I've grown accustomed to the idea of existance simply ending, but still had not pondered it very hard. Reading the post of how you need your brain to even form the idea of "I" (this of course I've known, but haven't deeply thought about) really made me confront non-existance as far as I can conceptualize it.

This thread helped me, thank you.

--------------------
Let's get the fuck out of here.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Becker on death anxiety. [Re: Bernackums]
    #9337035 - 11/30/08 12:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well you have pointed out often better than I have how death anxiety works so I thank you for that.

I personally think that if we understood our death anxiety better and how we personally choose to suppress it we might discover much more choice in making healthy, skillful attempts at relieving death anxiety. Like you have actually. This would greatly effect how humanity relates to itself. I'm talking about the blind responses to fear such as war, and greed and control etc. This is why I post on this so often.

Your post was great.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder