Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebile
Fantom Stranger
Male

Sterilizing vermiculite?
    #9313650 - 11/25/08 09:04 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This is my second grow so im still very noob. I had minimal success on my first grow but success nonetheless. Last time i dunked and rolled my cake following the 2nd flush but i didnt know i was supposed to put it in the fridge while dunking. So, pretty much nothing happened after i put it into the FC...CONTAMINATED! I threw it out and started over. (BTW, I can only grow from one cake at a time where i live. I have to be stealthy.) The first flush from this new cake was as to be expected, lots of primordias, a couple aborts and one biggun. (Im guessing its going to be 2-3 grams after drying.)

Now, to get to the point. Should i sterilize the vermiculite that im going to roll my cake in? And, if so how?

--------------------
We trip the 'shrooms fantastic
And shit gets drastic, check it out!
Right now my brain is fragile
But you seem so agile we'll make it in tea
And we'll see what there is to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Sterilizing vermiculite? [Re: bile]
    #9313667 - 11/25/08 09:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

What contamination did you have?

I highly doubt not dunking in the fridge caused your contamination.

Dunking in the fridge isnt required and is not a step against contamination. Fully colinised substrates are pretty resistant to contamination. If it contaminated before the first flush, it was already contminated to begin with.

Look at your sterile procedures.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinebile
Fantom Stranger
Male

Re: Sterilizing vermiculite? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9313760 - 11/25/08 09:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well, thanks for the advice. I don't know what contam it might have been. Maybe it wasn't contaminated...but it stopped growing. I crumbled it and put it outside and covered it w/ a little dirt. If something grows out there, good. If not, eh.

Again my question is: Do I need to sterilize my vermiculite for after the dunk?

I know for sure this new cake isn't contaminated and i'd like to keep it that way.

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9313790 - 11/25/08 09:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Vermiculite is made by expanding mineral in extremly high temperatures. Its pretty clean straight out of the bag. As long as its not wet you can use it as is.

I have always used it straight out the bag without sterilising without any problems.

You can sterilise in an oven to be sure. 30 minutes at 400F should do it.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
    #9313834 - 11/25/08 09:29 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

bile said:
This is my second grow so im still very noob. I had minimal success on my first grow but success nonetheless. Last time i dunked and rolled my cake following the 2nd flush but i didnt know i was supposed to put it in the fridge while dunking. So, pretty much nothing happened after i put it into the FC...CONTAMINATED! I threw it out and started over. (BTW, I can only grow from one cake at a time where i live. I have to be stealthy.) The first flush from this new cake was as to be expected, lots of primordias, a couple aborts and one biggun. (Im guessing its going to be 2-3 grams after drying.)

Now, to get to the point. Should i sterilize the vermiculite that im going to roll my cake in? And, if so how?

Wow.      Contaminated vermiculite most likely didn't cause you to fail at all.  Dude, i'll grab handfulls of verm straight out of an old bag, and just toss it like i dont care onto a tray of rye spawned to coir or poo.    Verm will not contam anything.  It's entirely possible that some contam spores landed on the verm, but wtf can they do do a 100% colonized substrate? Nothing.

If however you want to mix verm/peat 50/50, then definitely mix it up then pastuerize because there's tons of shit in sphagnum peat moss that can get contaminated.    If using peat, its also a good idea to do a radical pH change to ward off any contaminate from being able to germinate. You dont have to do it at all, but it helps especially if you're doing a huge tub.  Vermiculite itself, can never become colonized by contaminant spores, and if all you use as casing on a 100% colonized sub is verm, then there's really no real chance for it to become contaminated before the 2nd flush,,,, 4th flush more likely because the myc network will be weaker and in a state of poverty compaired to the 1st flush.

A simple cake should not cause a realm of fear for dunking and rolling in verm.  Verm can not germinate anything on its own because its just not nutritious enough, i mean yeah once in a life u might have a thing of verm germinate some random ass spore, but thats it at the most.

I always use verm straight out of the bag, no matter what, and the verm never gets contaminated.  It's impossible for contaminants to feed off of verm. Contaminant spores however, can land on vermiculite at any time after the bag has been opened.... That does not give them grounds to germinate though.  If a contam spore landed on the verm, and you used that verm to case some 100%, and i must stress again, some 100%, i will stress again, some 100% colonized substrate (be it straight grain, or grain spawned to bulk as long as its 100%)  keyword 100%, zomg did i mention 100% colonized!?!!?! If verm is used to case some 100% colonized substrate, then there's an extreemly small chance that the contam spores on the verm will ever germinate on anything in the chamber, tub or w/e.  If you mix some verm with peat though, then you NEED to pasteurize, or even sterilize it. Pasteurize is great, sterilize is good, but using peat out the bag is gay. IF you use peat straight out the block expect it to contam in the 2nd or 3rd flush, that's why pasteurizing is so vital with peat based casing layers, and with lots of bulk substrates.      Pasteurizing will not kill everything because temps are kept at 170 degrees for 2 hours,  however sterilization will kill any beneficial microthings and thats why i don't PC bulks or casing layers.  Bulks and casing layerse can get a +!up  from the beneficial microbes retained by simply pasterurizing (pasteurizing = 170F for 2 hours core temp)  however sterilizing kills anything benificial and will leave the bulk just as vulnerable as a shit ton of rye that's been layed out in a monotub to colonize for a week. 

By pasteurizing you can keep more helpfull shit to make an un-survivable place for bad shit.  If you do decide to straight sterilize, then bust out the micropore tape and keep it shut till 100% colonization, but still pasteriize the casing layer or you be a foo.

Sorry if this got off topic im so fucked up i cant remember what its about nemore kthx

--------------------
How to talk to cops

Offlinebile
Fantom Stranger
Male

Re: Sterilizing vermiculite? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9313887 - 11/25/08 09:36 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you!

Just to give some insight as to how i'm growing.

I'm using a 4.73L ice cream pail as my FC. I say my first grow had minimal success because it grew very skinny mushrooms w/ small caps. I concluded this was due to poor air exchange. I'm not able to fan my FC as often as i'd like. I have a full time job and as i said earlier i have to be stealthy. So i shotgunned my FC. This seems to be working well. The first flush on the new cake was pretty good, i just don't want to mess it up.

--------------------

OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
    #9313921 - 11/25/08 09:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Dude the shotgun FC imo is like a neglect bulkcake tek. If you have 6 inches of damp perlite, yet also have a fan running osmewhere in the grow room, it should get enough FAE + RH. A fruiting chamber is 150% about RH & FAE. FAE = Fresh air exchange, fae is the most important thing for fruition, however you can't fruit good shrooms without a good humidity, yaddada? 

What i mean by that, is yoiu need to have a hygrometer to determine the relative humidity, and temperature of your chamber.  Beit those are 2nd place to fresh air, its not hard to tell how much fresh air you need. If you open the chamber (ITS PERFECTLY FINE TO OPEN IT UP) and smell some wierd musky shit, then your fresh air exchange is too low.

Too little fresh air exchange will cause the stem to get all long and caps all small, the whole shroombody will get thin and skinny ugly as fuck so you NEED fresh air as a priority over humidity.    If you have to keep humidity up etc,,, a fogger is a good investment. Perlite itself should do plentyu but if something wierd or you live in a sahara climate your humidity won't be optimal so just get a fogger if thats the case. Fresh air though, i mean fresh clean you want to breathe it air, is key for fruiting massive shrooms..

--------------------
How to talk to cops

Offlinebile
Fantom Stranger
Male

Re: Sterilizing vermiculite? [Re: Stimpy913]
    #9314083 - 11/25/08 10:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i have plans to step up and grow using different teks but right now i have to be covert. The people i live w/ are real square and closed minded. i'm basically using this time as a learning experience to become familiar w/ growing mushrooms.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom