Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Currencyless Society [Re: memes]
    #8991115 - 09/26/08 08:01 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

but I'm still anxious to read about the system you propose we replace our current one with.

For this thread: let the Government issue money at cost and not banks, at interest. Even if you change nothing else, thar would make a HUGE difference.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblehamandcheese
Sandwich
 User Gallery

Loc: Next Level
Re: Currencyless Society [Re: Asante]
    #8991876 - 09/26/08 11:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

im just a little confused as to what you mean by that statement... care to elaborate?

are you proposing simply eliminating money lending?

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Currencyless Society [Re: Conaman12]
    #8993242 - 09/27/08 11:34 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

if you mean a ashless (as opposed to currencyless) economy..ppl are inherently suspicious of this idea.. and not simply because of religious end-times superstition either ..a cashless economy allows the govt to scrutinize every purchase which is not their business...

but i could easily imagine sarah palin halting the production of paper money as she executes her "task from god" to bring about the end times...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Currencyless Society [Re: Conaman12]
    #8993814 - 09/27/08 02:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Conaman12 said:

I would much rather live in a hut in the jungle and smoke and trip all the time than live it society, it fuckin blows. I am seriously considering doing so later on in my life if the world doesn't end beforehand.

What's stopping you from doing it now?

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Currencyless Society [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #8993863 - 09/27/08 02:10 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

He doesn't have enough currency.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Currencyless Society [Re: Redstorm]
    #8993887 - 09/27/08 02:16 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

lol

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinedreamingawake
Dragon
Male

Re: Currencyless Society [Re: DieCommie]
    #8997861 - 09/28/08 12:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

So you don't feel that a world centered on trade rather than currency would be better?
Where goods/services are exchanged for goods/services, eliminating the unfortunate medium of currency?
I agree with OP, money leads to greed.  Money leads to envy.  Money leads to a pointless sense of pride, or a "higher-than-thou" mentality simply because someone has pieces of paper. 
In short....

FUCK MONEY.

Offlinedreamingawake
Dragon
Male

#8997875 - 09/28/08 12:26 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:

Right now our world is in the best shape its ever been

you FOOL...

Invisiblehamandcheese
Sandwich
 User Gallery

Loc: Next Level
Re: Currencyless Society [Re: dreamingawake]
    #8997914 - 09/28/08 12:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dreamingawake said:
Quote:

meams said:

you FOOL...

before i even begin to adress your other post....

If now is not the best shape our world (collectively) has been in then clearly there must have been a time when it was in better shape.
please by all means tell me when that was, and why it was better. please be specific, a circa date would be great. thanks.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8998431 - 09/28/08 03:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dreamingawake said:
So you don't feel that a world centered on trade rather than currency would be better?
Where goods/services are exchanged for goods/services, eliminating the unfortunate medium of currency?
I agree with OP, money leads to greed.  Money leads to envy.  Money leads to a pointless sense of pride, or a "higher-than-thou" mentality simply because someone has pieces of paper. 
In short....

FUCK MONEY.

It's just not possible in the world we live in today. It would work in a commune or small village, but not in large urban areas. It's just not practical either. All money is is a voucher for your services or goods that can be traded for others goods or services.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8998442 - 09/28/08 03:07 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dreamingawake said:
Quote:

meams said:

you FOOL...

If he is so wrong that you feel you need to toss insults around rather than act like an adult, I'm sure you can point out where he is wrong.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Currencyless Society [Re: Redstorm]
    #8998613 - 09/28/08 03:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

dreamingawake said:
Quote:

meams said:

you FOOL...

If he is so wrong that you feel you need to toss insults around rather than act like an adult, I'm sure you can point out where he is wrong.

agreed.

I'd say our world is in about the best shape its ever been in in history.

When has been better?  I can't think of a time.

I've got cheap running water, heat, air conditioning, education, and so do a lot of other folks.

There are no super powers that look too close to fighting, and most of the conflicts seem to be of comparitivly smaller scales than they hae been in the past.

At least in the western world things look good.  I don't know how the third world has been in the past, though, so I can't compare. 

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#9001715 - 09/29/08 09:02 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

money leads to greed.  Money leads to envy.  Money leads to a pointless sense of pride, or a "higher-than-thou" mentality simply because someone has pieces of paper.
In short....

FUCK MONEY.

If I had a huge stack of money (well, gold in my case LOL) I would spend my time traveling the third world, looking for whats needed on a local level and making it happen using my stinkin wealth.

Driving a damn truck caravan from village to village re-stocking local hospitals, providing educational materials to local schools, and with a team of roughnecks I bought away from the oil industries to drill and build water pumps wherever I go.

Not to harvest gratitude, but to actually help the most needy as best as I can before the divine hammer strikes me down and I leave this planet for greener pastures.

How is that a bad thing?

Money can be used for good as well as for evil. Its a tool, like a knife. A knife can be used by one thug to stab another or it can be used by a surgeon to save someone from cancer.

The system surrounding money is quite messed up. But money itself is a good invention that can be put to good use.

Money should return to a "gold" standard. Not gold per se, but it should be backed by SOMETHING so its not a mere number in the hands of desk jockeys to mess with. Money should not be created as debt (see the vid in my sig) like it is now. Abysmal poverty should be abolished from this earth and the expense of unreasonable wealth.

Aint nothing wrong with someone earning ten, or even twenty times more money than another, but right now we have a few superrich who each own more wealth than the populations of an entire nation does. That is NOT right. If the way money works is normalized, the gap between rich and poor will close itself naturally. We have superrich who never will see tangible benefit of one single vpercent of what they own, and we have masses of people dying because of starvation and polluted drinking water they have to walk miles for, barefoot under a blazing sun. That is simply not acceptable.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #9002235 - 09/29/08 11:27 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dreamingawake said:
Quote:

meams said:

you FOOL...

stop talking into the mirror and learn something before you hurl insults at educated people.

edit:  and just some clarification incase anybody else tries to scrutinize my statement:  When i said "Right now" our world is in th ebest shape... I meant 'this era' - obviously this current freeze-frame in history isn't so perfect, due to our financial crisis, but on the aggregate - our world is the best its ever been.

Edited by memes (09/29/08 11:29 AM)

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Flag
    #9002455 - 09/29/08 12:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:

our world is the best its ever been.

based on what?
that's a completely relative statement. amidst the increasing pollution from developing nations like China, rapid endangerment/extinction of species, and blatantly disproportionate allocation of resources, you really think this world is the best it's ever been? I don't think "educated people" would necessarily agree.

as for the OP, robert anton wilson wrote (in the illuminati papers, back in '78) about a concept of "virtual money", which is quite different than electronic funds which we use now (which are still based on monetary standards). It would eliminate the need for federal reserve (something JFK also wanted), and bankers could not accrue interest off it.

Edited by piracetam (09/29/08 12:38 PM)

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Currencyless Society [Re: piracetam]
    #9002496 - 09/29/08 12:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

piracetam said:
Quote:

meams said:

our world is the best its ever been.

based on what?
that's a completely relative statement.

hrm... just about every relevant standard:

-Percentage of the world population dying from starvation,
-Overall standard of living
-Proportion of wages used for necessities
-Decline of slavery worldwide
-Minority rights
-Average household income
-World GDP
-Affordability of consumer goods
-Availability of necessities

and other shit that i cant even think of.

So... yeah - we're doin the best we've ever done.  But yeah, i suppose music has gone downhill, and TV shows.

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

#9002513 - 09/29/08 12:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

maybe in your fishbowl microcosm.

take a look around, this planet is symbiotic. maybe you don't notice things like overfishing, deforestation, extinction of species, doesn't mean it's not happening. maybe ignorance is bliss, huh?
I'm glad you can put a dollar value on the overall well-being of the planet, since in your mind, it only seems to apply to humans.
I'd have to say corporate greed (and consumer demand) is the root behind a lot of environmental issues, and in the long run, the cost is going to be FAR greater than the benefits.

personally, I like clean air and drinking water devoid of pharmaceuticals.

--------------------
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is just poetry, imagination." ~Max Planck

Edited by piracetam (09/29/08 01:12 PM)

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #9002612 - 09/29/08 01:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

maybe I should edit my original post to say: 

"my fishbowl microcosm is the best its ever been!"

:rolleyes:

InvisibleDieCommie

#9003315 - 09/29/08 03:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The state of human affairs is certainly better than it has ever been.

To view the earth without the lens of human perception, there is no 'best' or 'worst'.  Deforestation and extinctions are not bad for the earth, they just are.  They only have whatever meaning you ascribe to them, there is no inherent gauge for the well being of the planet outside of one particular species' needs.

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

Re: Currencyless Society [Re: DieCommie]
    #9004896 - 09/29/08 08:20 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
The state of human affairs is certainly better than it has ever been.

To view the earth without the lens of human perception, there is no 'best' or 'worst'.  Deforestation and extinctions are not bad for the earth, they just are.  They only have whatever meaning you ascribe to them, there is no inherent gauge for the well being of the planet outside of one particular species' needs.

well now, these human affairs won't be as "good" as your perceive for long, at the rate we're going. since our survival is somehow dependent on organisms which thrive in subtropic environments which are quickly disappearing to "human progress", not to mention the increasing acidity of our oceans (this is indeed caused by man), perhaps more of our good fortune should be spent living a more adaptive way of life
because we can't exactly buy back species or clean air.
the problem is some businesses (oil) and gov'ts  (like china's) are living like we're still in the industrial revolution.
I realize businessmen have acute short-sightedness, but they really need to stop being complacent with  living in the now, if they want to see a tomorrow.

--------------------
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is just poetry, imagination." ~Max Planck

Edited by piracetam (09/29/08 08:28 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom