Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Amanita jacksonii
    #8920216 - 09/12/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sum of the ones i found today had turned completely yellow they were very pretty.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewisp

Re: Amanita jacksonii [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8920296 - 09/12/08 07:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

How are you planning on cooking them up?

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Amanita jacksonii [Re: wisp]
    #8920383 - 09/12/08 07:26 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I, for one, sincerely hope these comments do not encourage a new member to indiscriminately eat Amanitas.  I know within some mushroom clubs there's a mushroom bravado about eating as many edible Amanitas as you can and bragging about it.  Personally I find the practice abhorent.  There's nothing brave about it, it's sheer machismo combined with stupidity--a dangerous, yet common, combination.

For those that don't know weiliiiii has been studying these for quite a while and has had expert advice before he ever ate one.

See sig line for futher details.  ToxicMan is a moderator here who is an expert on mushroom toxicology.

--------------------

Offlinesprout70
Loving, Learning, and Growing
 User Gallery

Loc: NWGA
Re: Amanita jacksonii [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8920471 - 09/12/08 07:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

machismo monkey motherfu''ers  si si mas espanol por favor:crazy2:

--------------------
Ain't talkin', just walkin'Through the world mysterious and vague
Heart burnin', still yearnin' Walkin' through the cities of the plague. Well, the whole world is filled with speculation
The whole wide world which people say is round They will tear your mind away from contemplation They will jump on your misfortune when you're down Ain't talkin', just walkin'
Eatin' hog eyed grease in a hog eyed town. Heart burnin', still yearnin' Some day you'll be glad to have me around. B.Dylan

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita jacksonii [Re: sprout70]
    #8920490 - 09/12/08 07:45 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hey now, watch that language.  We have a lady moderator here.

:grin:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8920542 - 09/12/08 07:54 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
I, for one, sincerely hope these comments do not encourage a new member to indiscriminately eat Amanitas.  I know within some mushroom clubs there's a mushroom bravado about eating as many edible Amanitas as you can and bragging about it.  Personally I find the practice abhorent.  There's nothing brave about it, it's sheer machismo combined with stupidity--a dangerous, yet common, combination.

For those that don't know weiliiiii has been studying these for quite a while and has had expert advice before he ever ate one.

See sig line for futher details.  ToxicMan is a moderator here who is an expert on mushroom toxicology.

Thanks for that Hongos. I didn't mean that as encouragment to eat any Amanita that ones comes across, as I'm sure you know. Weiliiiiii knows well what he is doing and as you said, has been studying this species for some time now.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8920568 - 09/12/08 08:01 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

No problem, Trip.  We all look out for each other here.  In a real sense, this is an online mushroom club.  I know well enough to know you wouldn't suggest anything that would harm anyone.

--------------------

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8921164 - 09/12/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tripsis said:
How are you planning on cooking them up?

I ate these and the jacksonii i found the other day for dinner tonight. Just cooked them up with fresh basil out of the garden, garlic cloves, onion, sea salt, pepper, boletus bicolor, oyster mushrooms, and honey mushrooms, it was delicious.

I do not recommend eating any mushroom in the genus amanita unless you are 1,000,000% sure its the right one:thumbup:

OfflineChaos_ultt
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #8922322 - 09/13/08 05:43 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Can you describe the flavor?

People seem to love jacksonii

OfflineNobodyImportant
Stranger
Male

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Amanita jacksonii [Re: Chaos_ultt]
    #8922899 - 09/13/08 09:52 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Oh man I cant believe I passed some of these up the other day, they just looked too pretty to be edible, I saw hundreds of them around the kennesaw area on wednesday, Ill see how the pictures came out on my phone but I doubt they are clear :frown:

Are there any look-alikes of this mushroom or could I be pretty sure this is what I found the other day, I didnt pick them or anything, just wondering

Edited by NobodyImportant (09/13/08 10:00 AM)

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita jacksonii [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #8923282 - 09/13/08 11:52 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

To an inexperienced hunter there could be many lookalikes.

--------------------

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8923638 - 09/13/08 01:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
To an inexperienced hunter there could be many lookalikes.

...and most of them will hurt/kill you:grin:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8923643 - 09/13/08 01:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Oh man I cant believe I passed some of these up the other day, they just looked too pretty to be edible, I saw hundreds of them around the kennesaw area on wednesday, Ill see how the pictures came out on my phone but I doubt they are clear :frown:

Are there any look-alikes of this mushroom or could I be pretty sure this is what I found the other day, I didnt pick them or anything, just wondering

The main lookalikes are the muscaria types, A. muscaria, A. frostiana, A. parcivolvata and A. flavoconia.  They can look like jacksonii just looking at the cap, however the base of the stem in Amanita section Caesareae is very unique and can not be easily mistaken.  Every time you find an Amanita take a good look at the base of the stem and you will find that there are a few different types. 

To properly ID a jacksonii make sure it has that nice sac like volva  with the sharp edge that is big, open, and distinctive.  Also verify that it has a yellow stem and an annulus.  One more feature that is usually there but not always and will never be there on the bad species is a patch of volva tissue on the top.  Muscaria types have warts on the top, but Caesareae has the volva as a big thick white patch on the top of the cap.

If you decide to eat them there is no need to examine them a hundred times comparing all the features, just post some pics here and there are several people who can tell you if you have the right one. 

Also remember that none of the deadly Amanitas are red, so you won't kill yourself if you pick a jacksonii lookalike.  Its more dangerous to eat Agaricus or shaggy mane because those mushrooms look almost exactly like white deadly Amanitas when they are young and there isn't much light.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Amanita jacksonii [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8923671 - 09/13/08 01:16 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

But im sure if he did eat a muscaria he would not be loving it, he would be in the ER

I think Amanita jacksonii is one of the easiest mushroom to identify, dont forget Alan the striations around the cap margin.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8923678 - 09/13/08 01:18 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yea thats an important one.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Amanita jacksonii [Re: Chaos_ultt]
    #8923769 - 09/13/08 01:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Chaos_ultt said:
Can you describe the flavor?

People seem to love jacksonii

Its hard to describe it, i usually eat it by itself but couldnt resist trying it with the other edible i had.

Eating it alone with just a little fresh basil is like an orgasm in your mouth.

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #8924281 - 09/13/08 04:07 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

another one is  the gills, the gills should be  yellow, not withe as in the other  toxic  look alike, is crazy how the ones i see in your post  and in other post are different from here slightly since we have a real complex here more than up there  because as you notice weillii when they age they turn ,yellow ,  here we have red , yellow , and orange variety  the red one is usually jacksonii but there is another  red specie  bassii i believe and in my area is suppose to grow a different taxon laurae maybe  some of the red ones small are jacksonii and some of the big red ones are laurae really don't know . the other ones tecomate, yemita, caesarea,  start as pin as yellow or orange, so if you look then young is easy to differentiate from jacsonii all red as pins, but maybe people can confuse as jacsonii age  which is not  too important here , since all the other look  alikes are edibles , and the more close to then as flavoconia, people do confuse jacsonii or the red ones here  for muscaria with the warts wash off , i have hear many history's  of campesinos that warn me  not to eat the muscaria, but once they realize than looking the gill is easy to differentiate  they use that, is important to notice  they discard the volva and almost sometimes they don't look for it since is so easy mushroom to id. this year people of the forest is getting interest in mainly 3 species, lyophyllum decastes, amanita caesarea or jacksonii people recognize now the 2 types, and hypomyces lactiflorum , there are more , that in some sierra people eat as agaricus campestris or calvatia, but usually that is it,  3 year ago they don't even new about the Amarillo that how people call the jacsonii and caesarea amarillo(yellow) is important to notice they don't call then the red ones, ha, i guess people can figure out  why ,every time i got to eat jacksonii-caesarea to some nonbeliever i see the same reaction , yeah after they see me eating then and smell the good food some dare to eat it , the one that do, said all the time, LET`S GO FOR MORE.
WE HAVE TO STOP THE MICOPHOBIA  BY SPREADING KNOWLEDGE
then  the next genus people should eat more often in usa is agaricus , only few toxic species, and many yellow staining, the odor is crucial .

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8924338 - 09/13/08 04:15 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

lol sounds yummy

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita jacksonii [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8925600 - 09/13/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

The main lookalikes are the muscaria types, A. muscaria, A. frostiana, A. parcivolvata and A. flavoconia.  They can look like jacksonii just looking at the cap, however the base of the stem in Amanita section Caesareae is very unique and can not be easily mistaken.  Every time you find an Amanita take a good look at the base of the stem and you will find that there are a few different types. 

To properly ID a jacksonii make sure it has that nice sac like volva  with the sharp edge that is big, open, and distinctive.  Also verify that it has a yellow stem and an annulus.  One more feature that is usually there but not always and will never be there on the bad species is a patch of volva tissue on the top.  Muscaria types have warts on the top, but Caesareae has the volva as a big thick white patch on the top of the cap.

If you decide to eat them there is no need to examine them a hundred times comparing all the features, just post some pics here and there are several people who can tell you if you have the right one. 

Also remember that none of the deadly Amanitas are red, so you won't kill yourself if you pick a jacksonii lookalike.  Its more dangerous to eat Agaricus or shaggy mane because those mushrooms look almost exactly like white deadly Amanitas when they are young and there isn't much light.

Incredibly detailed and thoughtful adviCe/instructions!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineSagemark
Stranger
    #8946153 - 09/17/08 07:55 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'm new to the board, my first post. I'm looking for some confirmation/opinions/feedback. I've collected what I am sure are A. Jacksonii. I'm posting pics. I won't be eating these as I've not studied them long enough given their deadly lookalikes. They sure look unmistakably like Jacksonii though. I'm a pretty experienced and studied amateur mycophagist and cultivator.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract