Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineManBearPig73
Stranger
Male

Loc: South Africa
Home made Incubator
    #8756828 - 08/11/08 03:41 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hi all,

This weekend I decided to buy a cupboard about 4m(h) x 70cm(b) x 70cm(w).
I want to use this as an incubator. I started out well and got a thermostat and mounted a light source at the bottom. I use old over shelves that I modified using my grinder. All this worked well and my light source soon got the temperature up to 28C. Then I needed to get rid of the light. This is where my problems started. I first put one of the original wooden shelves back but found that the heat was not reaching the top of the cupboard. I then used a thin chipboard that I covered with foil but this also did not work.

I have only one more idea and that is to put a piece of glass in there and cover it with foil. Before I spend the money on having this cut is there anyone that can confirm if this is the right thing to do?

Is seems that whatever I place over my heat source does not only block the light but also the heat from spreading. Anybody that has converted a old fridge into a incubator must have overcome this same hurdle.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOzzy_shroomer
Mystery Machine
Male User Gallery

Loc: Summer All Year
Re: Home made Incubator [Re: ManBearPig73]
    #8756895 - 08/11/08 04:28 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

why get rid of the light???

you can always put your jars into a bar non transparent box, and the same if doing bigger bulk grows

--------------------

OfflineManBearPig73
Stranger
Male

Re: Home made Incubator [Re: Ozzy_shroomer]
    #8756955 - 08/11/08 05:12 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

That is an idea. But will this not have a impact on the heat distribution? If my boxes are different sizes or not equally full of jars will that impact on the temperature of the individual jars within each box?

I was thinking if glass lets the sun through without itself getting hot then covering it in foil (to also help retain heat once the light is off) will make the cupboard dark and still heat it evenly.

OfflineMyShroomy
Quantifying The Intangibles
 User Gallery

#8759255 - 08/11/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I used a Reptile Vivarium Heat Mat and a fan to keep a even temp through out my incubator very cheap to buy and run

it removes the problem of light all together

My Fridge Incubator

--------------------

I'm After A Salvia Divinorum Cutting PM Me & Perhaps We Can Work Something Out (EU Only)

OfflineManBearPig73
Stranger
Male

Re: Home made Incubator [Re: MyShroomy]
    #8761646 - 08/12/08 05:25 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wow man, that converted fridge of yours is awesome! What type of heating blanket did you use. I checked my local Pet shop and found the largest they had was 14W. Do you know what the wattage of yours is. Have you taken reading at the top and bottom of the fridge to make sure the temperature is the same? I'm sure the fan helps to circulate the warm air and make the temperature even. Do you also know how often the heater switches on and how long the temperature is maintained within the fridge?

Hope it's not to much questions.

Thanks for the suggestion.

OfflineMyShroomy
 User Gallery

#8761908 - 08/12/08 08:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

it is a Habistat Heat Mat 590mmx280mm 23"x11"

and the temp is a perfect 28c throughout, the squirrel cage fan helps with this

the heater is hardly ever on due to the thermostat and the great insulation provided by the fridge

--------------------

I'm After A Salvia Divinorum Cutting PM Me & Perhaps We Can Work Something Out (EU Only)

Offlinepsg1
viewer
 User Gallery

#8762150 - 08/12/08 10:09 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

all you need is a small fan running inside to circulate the air and distribute the heat. some would argue that the whole incubator idea is unnecessary but i'll leave that up to you.

--------------------

OfflineMyShroomy
 User Gallery

Re: Home made Incubator [Re: psg1]
    #8762266 - 08/12/08 10:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i think that depends on your climate and where you growing e.g where i live it gets very cold at night and i am growing in my shed, so i wanted to overcome the temperature fluctuations

--------------------

Offlinethe_0wl
The Space Bird
Male

#8763692 - 08/12/08 04:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I just put my cakes in an opaque box on top of my fridge.  The heat rising up from the back of the fridge makes it about 82 in that spot all the time.

--------------------
Everything I say on this website and forum is completely false and fantasy role play.  In reality I do not engage in any illegal activities regardless of what my posts say.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds