Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNihlus
ζ
Male

Loc: PNW
Hunting for Psilocybe Cyanescens - Need Info
    #8689583 - 07/27/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey everyone. I've lurked these forums for a while and I figured it was time to make an account and post. I live in southern Washington (state) and I know that P. Cyanescens are rather common here. After some research on identification and what not, I have decided to go looking for them. If I find some, Ill be sure to post an ID request and all (by the way, having helpful people IDing mushrooms is awesome... the only reason Ive never been into mushrooms before is due to the fact that Im scared to try to identify them by myself). Ive also searched and read a few threads and they were helpful, but I think I need a place where all my questions can be answered in one spot.

Anyway, here are a few of my questions.

1. Can you list all possible poisonous look-alikes that grow in the Northwest? I know G. Marginata is one of them. There are a lot of little brown mushrooms so I am kind of nervous.

2. Can you actually trip just a tiny bit from picking magic mushrooms and making skin contact with them? My friend said when he was picking he started to trip a little.

3. I've never used psychedelics (well, weed, but thats not saying much). What is a recommended first dose with P. Cyanescens? I know that they are more potent than your average active mushroom which is cool and all, but I just want to test the waters on my first time. I also know that potency differs from mushroom to mushroom, but could you kind of give me some general ideas on how to start with dosage?

4. Say P. Cyanescens is growing alongside G. Marginata. If these mushrooms come in contact with one another, can the P. Cyanescens become contaminated with poison? I kind of doubt it but Im just asking anyway.

5. Can you give any good tips for identifying P. Cyanescens? I have the general info but anything a little more specific would be wonderful. The more mature ones look pretty easy to identify, but the little guys seem like they can be somewhat confusing.

Thanks everyone. I may have more questions later on. Im just trying to be safe and learn. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
Re: Hunting for Psilocybe Cyanescens - Need Info [Re: Nihlus]
    #8689613 - 07/27/08 06:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Once you learn the identifying characteristics of Ps. cyanescens, you'll be able to eliminate the poisonous lookalikes.  For example, Galerinas have an rusty orange spore print while Psilocybes have a purple brown print. 

You cannot absorb active chemicals through skin contact, nor poisonous ones.  It's possible that an active mushroom could be contaminated by a poisonous mushroom, although it seems very unlikely.  A piece of the poisonous one would have to lodge in the active.

Most of your questions can be answered by the search function and a little research.

Start here:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7439124/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

OfflineNihlus
ζ
Male

Re: Hunting for Psilocybe Cyanescens - Need Info [Re: scout24]
    #8689647 - 07/27/08 07:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks. I also read in a thread that a lot of times you can find them on Alder chips. Interesting.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8689861 - 07/27/08 07:53 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

For identification look for the obvious characteristics and then pare down to the less obvious ones.  For example,  habitat is key.  Do not look for them in dung, you won't find them there.  The caps are some shade of brown and often wavy, hence the name "Wavy Caps."  Check for blue bruising, this can be done with immature specimens.  Although, I wouldn't recommend eating pins for a couple of reasons.  Mature mushrooms are larger.  Picking them prematurely will ensure they never reach a larger size as well as making identification more difficult.

Study the descriptions and pictures.  Go out with someone experienced at finding them.

Dosage:
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-Calculator

And remember (sig line)

OfflineNihlus
ζ
Male

Re: Hunting for Psilocybe Cyanescens - Need Info [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8689900 - 07/27/08 08:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wow thank you. That was very helpful. I've also been reading that they are very prevalent during the fall/winter seasons. Would I be wasting my time searching for them now? Is it rare to find them here in the Northwest in almost September?

I found a bigass thread on cyan hunting with pictures and everything but now I can't seem to find it. I'll have to keep searching I guess. :grin:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8690049 - 07/27/08 08:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Is it scout's link?

Yeah, you're a little early but that's better than being too late. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineNihlus
ζ
Male

Re: Hunting for Psilocybe Cyanescens - Need Info [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8690794 - 07/27/08 11:25 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Actually it was this one -

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3230571/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

But yeah, I went looking in the forest for any type of mushroom earlier today and I found absolutely nothing. It was pretty disappointing. I searched under and on dead trees, under the dead wood on the forest floor, in dark forested areas with lots of trees, in thick brush, in bushes, under thick grass... Damn. I guess there isn't much that grows in forested areas like that in the Northwest during the summer while it's hot. Or I just suck at hunting lol.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8690942 - 07/27/08 11:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You probably won't find Psilocybes in the forest in the PNW, they like to grow in wood chips in urban areas instead.

It is too warm for Psilocybe cyanescens to fruit but Psilocybe subaeruginascens could be fruiting.

OfflineShROoMiNnBOOMiN
psychoactive ginnie pig
Male

Loc: Contra Costa County, Bay ...
Re: Hunting for Psilocybe Cyanescens - Need Info [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8699979 - 07/29/08 10:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

hey alan what kind of shroom is in your avatar?

--------------------
---
-----------------------------------------------
"why fail to succeed, when you can succeed to fail?" -david medeiros

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunting for Psilocybe Cyanescens - Need Info [Re: ShROoMiNnBOOMiN]
    #8700242 - 07/29/08 11:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

hey alan what kind of shroom is in your avatar?

It changes pretty often due to this perl script:

alan@amanita ~ $ cat tenthousandmushrooms/switcher.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl
for ($i;$i=-4;$i++) {
  for ($i = 1;$i<10000;$i++) {
      $e = "cp $i.jpg ~/www.plantobserver.org/htdocs/mushroom.jpg";
      system("$e");
      sleep 2;
      $e = "cp tinymush.jpg ~/www.plantobserver.org/htdocs/mushroom.jpg";
      system("$e");
      sleep 1;
  }
}
alan@amanita ~ $ 

tinymush.jpg is Nolanea holoconiota

$i.jpg is one of ten thousand thumbnail size mushroom images from mushroomobserver.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract