Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNothingIsReal
Stranger

Realistically, how much money do i need to move out?
    #8598924 - 07/05/08 10:11 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Im only 18 and still in HS, but i need to get out of my house. A 1 room apartment around here is about $800-900 a month, or only like $1000 for a 2 room which would be so much easier but i dont think i can find a roommate yet (i want to move out in around 3-5 months). My job right now pays $220/wk base plus commission which makes it normally 400-500/wk. However, working off commission and based on what i do (im still early in it tho), $1000+ paychecks for good weeks is not unusual.

However being young and never having lived on my own, i need to work out realistically how much money i need to be making a month to do it. This being Gas, food, electric, cable, phone, etc. Everything. I know its kinda situational but I feel like people with experience can give me some incite. I'll probably be getting a second job aswell obviously. Anyone wanna try to help me lay everything out and get a reasonable guesstamate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Realistically, how much money do i need to move out? [Re: NothingIsReal]
    #8599007 - 07/05/08 10:35 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If you can stand to live with a roommate, definitely find one.  Four or five hundred extra dollars a month goes a loooong way.  Do whatever you have to do; put up ads in colleges, craigslist, tell all your friends you are looking for a roommate, etc.

Even if you end up with a 1BR and pay the whole rent yourself, you should be able to swing it if your only expenses are what you listed (gas, food, utilities, etc.) and you can count on making steady commission.

Do you have car payments to make?  Car insurance?  Student loan repayments?  Those three take a significant chunk from my budget, if you don't have them, great.

You can make it work.  If you crunch the numbers and you come up a little short, then you might want to consider cutting some expenses (cable is a great place to start)  If you need more income, get that second job.

Plan on everything being more expensive than you initially figure, give yourself some breathing room.  And save right now while you are still with your parents.  You'll need a damage deposit for starters, and it will be way easier to save money now than later.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineNothingIsReal
Stranger

Re: Realistically, how much money do i need to move out? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #8599079 - 07/05/08 10:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah im gonna bust my ass at my job to get some big checks in the last few months i plan to live with my parents. Ill have car insurance payments, and my parents may or may not let me us the car i drive now (94 volvo) but i think moving out while still in highschool they will completely cut me off. I think they would atleast sell it to me, its only worth like $1000.

So if im by myself. It'll be like:

Rent $900/month
Gas $75/wk = 300/month
Utilities = ??/month
Cell = $60ish/month probably
Food = ???/month
Extra spending money = ???/month

I just feel like the more i think about it the more things i find and it seems like its just becoming unrealistic, but i am really determined to make it work. Ill be moving out around october/november if i can, which ill still be in highschool, but i go from 7:45 - 11:15. Then i work the job i described 5PM - 9PM mon-thusday and 8:30 - 2 saturday. I dont know how i would fit in a second job that i am going to need i think. Is there anything you can do thats like a work from home and u get paid depending on how much u work u do / make ur own hours. Like just for extra cash?

Anyone have an recommendations besides the obvious on this forum to make a second income while managing school 7:45 - 11:15 and a regular job 5-9?

I really need to do this, its just seeming like it may not be possible. someone convince me otherwise and suggest how :smile:

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#8599657 - 07/06/08 02:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

if u make can 400 a week , thats super easy to live on if you live practically.  cut back on gas , grocery shop cheaper meals, dont buy bottle soda, turn off lights, and only take 50 cash or whateveryour budget for the night is...

damn, i typed all this with on screen keybord cuz my cat spilled a cup o water on my KB. 

thats called 'gettin by with what u got' and 'makin it work no matter thesituation or what the negative people have to say or do'

believing in yourself that u can make it on your own, going your own way,  is most important.

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
Re: Realistically, how much money do i need to move out? [Re: fresh313]
    #8600193 - 07/06/08 09:30 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

look for a bachelor not a 1 bdrm that may save you a few hundred each month (that or a roomie works too) and look for a place that includes utilities if possible. Try and change cell phone plans to pay as you go or whatever, im sure you can do better than 60/month. Try and get a job that gives you more hours too, 4 hours a day isn't much at all, you could squeeze in a few more hours each day. Try and get a line of credit for hard times, don't rack up credit card debt. If you're on good terms with your parents try and get them to co-sign for a LOC.

Regardless of why you're moving out, good for you for standing on your own. Most people live with their parents until their thirties and some people, like my fucking douche bag neighbour never move out of their parents home. You'll be a better person for it. I moved out when I was 17. Good luck.

OfflineNothingIsReal
Stranger

Re: Realistically, how much money do i need to move out? [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #8602516 - 07/06/08 10:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah i know 4hrs a day isnt much but i feel like its the best job i can get right now being in highschool still. Like $11hr base plus regularly double that in commission, shit id have to work like 80 hours a week at another shitty $7 job like everyone else my age basically works.

My parents already said they wont co-sign for me if i move out. What does it take for them to actually accept me, like the renter, not my parents haha. As in, i have no credit card. I have a debit card but still no line of credit. Im barely 18, id have no co-signer, what does it take for them to rent to me. Like am i going to be needing to do something now to get myself into the position where they will rent to me in 3 months?

School 7:45 to 11:15 then work 5-9 its gonna be hard to fit in another job i think. Maybe if i worked like noon - 3 somewhere, i just dont know where i could do that. Plus, thats gonna be alot on me. Im gonna need another income tho i know it.

Pay as u go is a great idea for my phone tho. Im on a family plan right now but ill probably get taken off, and a regular plan is gonna be like $60-70, pay as u go not nearly that probably.

Is a bachelor the same as a studio? As in your main living room is your bedroom also? If so yeah i've been looking into them also, they still seem to be around 750-900 tho.

Im moving out because i NEED complete freedom to be happy. I cannot handle being on this leash i am on right now. Its not even as bad as i probably make it sound, but i just need my freedom. Its my life and im just tired of not being able to live it how i want to. So im just gonna bust my ass to get out on my own and really live happy. Id rather be busting my ass living paycheck to paycheck being on my own then living relaxed in my house

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #8603279 - 07/07/08 07:02 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You should be able to find an apartment that will let you rent w/out a co-signer.

It would definitely help if you could play a few months rent up front.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #8603353 - 07/07/08 08:01 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

> Realistically, how much money do i need to move out?

More than you would think, but it is certainly worth it... the first time is the worse because you have none of the basics (soap, towels, toilet paper, sheets, bedding, furniture, dishes, food/spices/pots/pans/etc, etc, etc).

If you can find somebody that has a place that needs a housemate, it will be a much easier first step.  You forget about the little things, like utilities, phone service, etc, until you have to set them up for yourself the first time; often requiring deposits.

You also have those annual expenses, insurance, car registration, etc.  College "area" housing is usually fairly cheap compared to traditional apartment complexes.

Good luck!

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
    #8603706 - 07/07/08 10:52 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I meant a co-signer referring to the line of credit, you should be able to rent no problem, might have to give parents as reference.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Realistically, how much money do i need to move out? [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #8633136 - 07/14/08 11:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

move to a cheaper city.  no reason to pay that much in rent, and then even a part time shitty job and you'll be set for money.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineNothingIsReal
Stranger

Re: Realistically, how much money do i need to move out? [Re: truekimbo2]
    #8635755 - 07/14/08 10:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

truekimbo2 said:
move to a cheaper city.  no reason to pay that much in rent, and then even a part time shitty job and you'll be set for money.

I could move closer to the city (baltimore, housing is not that expensive) but A) i still need to finish my senior year of highschool, and i want to stay at the same school, and B) the places where it is cheap in the city are not the places i want to be living in. I work in those places, and i actually need to carry a knife on me for protection. Thats not where i want to live

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
    #8635781 - 07/14/08 10:57 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

NothingIsReal said:
Quote:

truekimbo2 said:
t A) i still need to finish my senior year of highschool, and i want to stay at the same school, and B) the places where it is cheap in the city are not the places i want to be living in. I work in those places, and i actually need to carry a knife on me for protection. Thats not where i want to live

since you are going to be living at home for about one more year, you should use this time to start stocking up on little things that you will need later that you might not be able to afford when you have nessesities to buy like towls, dishes, furniture, and tools.  And take it from me, when you move out shop thrift stores, sometimes you can find really great furniture, dishes,  and just about anything.  about two years before i moved out of my mom and dads house, i started to buy all kinds of things for my appartment, even cleaning supplies, vacume, microwave, and even some decorations.  i also started a seperate savings account for future rent payments so that i could be a couple of months ahead on my rent.  nothing is worse than getting in a wreck or getting sick and not being able to work and keep your bills up.  it is always nice to have some money stashed away for those kinda emergencies.  good luck, and i hope this have been useful to you. kat

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Realistically, how much money do i need to move out? [Re: rugergirl79]
    #8638669 - 07/15/08 04:20 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i've lived in several ghetto=y neighborhoods.

the mentality that you have to carry a knife because there are enemies all around, makes enemies for you i think.

the only thing is if its late at night, and no one else is around, and you see someone obviously fucked up, just be on the opposite side of the street, or go a block out of your way.

who knows, i don't live the ghetto anymore, and now i'm kind of afraid of it because all the white college kids around here are.

lived in south bronx and harlem though, never had any problems.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineNothingIsReal
Stranger

Re: Realistically, how much money do i need to move out? [Re: truekimbo2]
    #8640440 - 07/15/08 11:12 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

truekimbo2 said:
i've lived in several ghetto=y neighborhoods.

the mentality that you have to carry a knife because there are enemies all around, makes enemies for you i think.

the only thing is if its late at night, and no one else is around, and you see someone obviously fucked up, just be on the opposite side of the street, or go a block out of your way.

who knows, i don't live the ghetto anymore, and now i'm kind of afraid of it because all the white college kids around here are.

lived in south bronx and harlem though, never had any problems.

No i dont carry it openly or anything, and i dont plan on using it. Im completely cool with most of the people down in these areas. I always say hey and talk to people i pass, never had any problems. I know plenty of people who have been robbed in these areas (near the end of our shift it gets pretty sketchy) so i carry it encase i need it. I mean in it in the sense that me needing it one day is, while unlikely, much more likely then normal and definitely if it came down to it, worth it. While yeah, the majority of the people in these places are fairly cool, its in no way i place i would want to live.

Edited by NothingIsReal (07/15/08 11:12 PM)

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
    #8640468 - 07/15/08 11:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineNIMH
MadCap
 User Gallery

Re: Realistically, how much money do i need to move out? [Re: rugergirl79]
    #8644362 - 07/16/08 08:06 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If there are heavy serious problems at home moving out is a good idea.  However if you just want your own space and are tired of having your parents in your hair, I highly suggest sticking it out.  Living without paying for living expenses is a huge luxury.  Trust me, you will miss it.

Remember most apartments need a first and last, as well as a deposit.  You will most certainly need references as well.  Everything is going to be in your name.  Something goes wrong, its your problem.  You can ask your parents for help, but ultimately it is your problem.  How is your credit?  At eighteen I know I didn't have any.  Its a good idea to establish credit.

So I would say that if you just wanna move out because you want to do your own thing and have your own space, just stick it out at home.  If something serious is going on at home that you need to get away from, by all means get out of there.

Remember there are many people living on their own and surviving on minimum wage.  You are making well above that.  So really you could move fairly easy on a week or two pay.  Think about staying home and buckling down on your spending.  Six months at $2,000 dollars a month is $12,000.  I know people who have backpacked Europe for a year on much less.  If you have options, take advantage of them while your young.

--------------------
I must not Fear. Fear is the mindkiller . Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and
through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. ONLY I WILL REMAIN.

OfflineNothingIsReal
Stranger

Re: Realistically, how much money do i need to move out? [Re: NIMH]
    #8645083 - 07/16/08 10:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

^^ Thank you for that advice im definitely going to be considering all that.

As far as credit goes, does just having a credit card start to establish your credit?

Also, do most places you rent from take credit cards as payment. I only as this because for the first few months i really wont have much in savings built up because most of it will be expenses, so if i had a bad month at work / something bad happened that i needed to pay for / etc, i could put it on my CC so at least i can have a little extra time to pay it. I know, i know thats a real bad idea to be putting those kind of expenses on a CC while you dont have the money for it right then, but im talking the rare and more unfortunate situations where i would have to do that. I would never just start piling things up that i needed but wasnt making enough to afford

OfflineNIMH
MadCap
 User Gallery

#8646942 - 07/17/08 01:07 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

NothingIsReal said:
As far as credit goes, does just having a credit card start to establish your credit?

If you get a credit card and use it you have officially established your credit.  It is sort of a catch-22 though.  You almost need a credit history to establish credit.  If you have had good banking history with deposits and withdraws you will most likely be able to get a credit card.  You could also apply for a department store or gas credit card.  These are generally easier to obtain than most major credit cards.  And once you have them, and use them right, a credit card will be much easier to obtain.  Make sure you carefully read anything that you sign.

Also if you have ever taken out any size of loan you have credit.  Although if you have taken out a loan under your parents name, I'm not sure that establishes your credit.

It sounds like you already have a good idea about how to use a credit card.  Something a lot of new credit card users do not have.  You must be careful.  A bad credit score will hang over your head for the rest of your life.  Even if you get the score back into a good number, your past credit will be looked at for up to seven years.

If you are very good spender you can even make money using a credit card.  Certain cards have certain rewards.  Some have cash, others certain items, some flier miles.  I use my credit card for everything I would normally purchase with my debit card.  I never buy anything I would not normally buy.  Then at the end of the month I pay my balance in full, before interest is charged, and voila, free cash.

So a credit card can be useful, or destructive.  You just have to make an effort to use it right.  And for emergencies its great.  Just make sure you get it payed off as soon as possible.  Don't put it off because that interest will stack up way faster than you would think.

--------------------
I must not Fear. Fear is the mindkiller . Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and
through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. ONLY I WILL REMAIN.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale