Home | Community | Message Board

Weed Seed Shop
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOneWhoHasSeen
Temporal Anomaly
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Oxytocin, the Wonder Drug of Physical and Mental Health (long)
    #8630550 - 07/13/08 08:34 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Today I was doing a little research on Dopamine, you know, the hormone that makes us feel pleasure.  It was just a little bored curiosity, then I came across a hormone mentioned in the research papers I was reading called Oxytocin  Yea, sounds a lot like OxyContin doesn’t it?  Trust me, its much different.

As we all know almost all recreational drugs stimulate the production of Dopamine within the brain, creating a feeling of pleasure.  Unfortunately our brains are built in a way that the more Dopamine we have in our system, the less Dopamine receptors there are in our brains.  That means that in order to get the same effect of a drug you have to use more and more of it to get the same Dopamine reaction.  Ok, everyone knows what addiction is, but another hormone, found in the pituitary gland, has a much more lasting effect on the brain.

Oxytocin is found in ALL mammals.  It is found in the pituitary gland, and the chemical has been in mammalian blood for as long as the gland has existed, about 100,000,000 years.  Now, Oxytocin works a much different way then Dopamine.  It turns out the more Oxytocin there is in the system, the MORE sensitive the Oxytocin receptors in your brain become.  It behaves the exact opposite of the addicting hormone Dopamine, meaning that when Oxytocin is prevalent within your system it has a more lasting effect then Dopamine.  I learned that understanding this became important to understanding the Oxytocin as I went on.

Its been proven that in social mammals, those that rely upon others of their species, Oxytocin is found in much higher levels within their brain then in non-social animals.  This is especially true of chimpanzees and other monkeys, including humans.  When Oxytocin receptors were blocked within the rats of brains, they stopped caring for their children, they stopped having sex with potential mates, they stopped socializing and eating all together.  It seems that Oxytocin plays a vital roll in an animals abilities to get along socially with partners and others of their species.  Those with high levels are more likely to be sexually and socially active and to find more lasting satisfaction in these actions.  Oxytocin has also been proven to reduce fear and anxiety, to reduce blood pressure, and  have a large increase our bodies ability to heal.  In fact, Oxytocin has been directly attributed to feelings of well-being and happiness in general.

Injured animals who had high levels of Oxytocin in their systems healed at twice the normal rate of others of their species.  Oxytocin suppresses the the Amygdala, a part of the brain that A. perceives threats and B. links those threats to physical action.  Thus, Oxytocin has been shown to not only reduce fear, but decrease aggressive tendencies as well, generally increasing the subjects ability to empathize (thus make partners and bonding).  Oh, it also has a lot to do with inducing labor in woman and allowing them to breast feed.

It does everything!  Increases health, reduces fear, increases your ability to socialize, who the hell wouldn’t want this!  Ok, so now that I have sold you on it :smile: what can you do to get some?

Well, the anser isn’t easy.  The gestural-intestinal tract breaks down oxytocin when eaten and the blood-brain barrier prevents most Oxytocin introduced into the blood from ever reaching the brain.  Although sprays and injections can be prescribed, they have not been proven to significantly increase the levels of Oxytocin within the brain.  However, there are ways you can naturally increase your brains production of its own Oxytocin!

Here is the golden rule of Oxytocin: Love increases Oxytocin and Oxytocin increases Love!

The things that we know give us true, lasting happiness and satisfaction in life are the very things that stimulate Oxytocin release which gives us more true, lasting happiness.  So the person who says, “I like my partner better and better each day” has tapped into the infinitely looping benefits of Oxytocin and benefitted from it.

More directly, Its been proven that physical contact can release large amounts of Oxytocin within the blood.  This physical contact can be either plutonic or sexual in nature, but only if you truly “feel” the moment will higher levels of Oxytocin be released.  For example, people who are studied after massages have been proven to had higher levels of Oxytocin due to the physical contact that is a result of massages.  In fact, merely touching things that make you feel comfortable can release Oxytocin, such as touching soft materials or sitting in a comfortable seat.

Oxytocin is also highly linked to sexuality, and “making love” has been proven to release Oxytocin within the system.  The catch here is that Oxytocin is released more during sex when the partner is genuinely interested, or in love, with their partner.  Interesting to note, Oxytocin is not only directly related to your libido, but for men it is also directly related in our ability to produce an erection.  Low Oxytocin levels has been linked to impotence in men.  Perhaps a lack of true interest in sexual partners may be a direct cause of impotence in younger men.

In fact, Oxytocin has been proven to be released in almost any bonding experience.  Merely being with a friend, family member, or loved one, or even talking with one over the phone can stimulate the release of the hormone.  Being with a loved pet, like a dog or cat, has the same response.

To give you an example of how mental behavior, physical status, and Oxytocin relate lets take the injured animal example.  The way the scientists increased Oxytocin in the injured animal’s brain was to allow it to heal with a sibling.  The bond and the physical contact had an observable increase in Oxytocin levels in the first animal over the isolated second animal.  And, as I previously stated, the animal with the Oxytocin healed at a rate that was twice as fast as the isolated animal.

Diet also has a large effect on Oxytocin.  Eating in general causes the release of Oxytocin, but it has been proven that fatty foods release much more Oxytocin then other foods (thus giving us that “satisfied” feeling.
WARNING although fatty foods are important in our Oxytocin production, it is important to note that saturated and trans fats are very bad for your health and will counter any benefits that Oxytocin may have (foods high in the bad kind of fat are butter, fatty meats such as beef, milk products, and foods fried in vegetable oil).  Also note that increasing your intake of fatty foods, even unsaturated fats, means increasing your calorie increase and thus should be countered by an increase in physical activity and exercise.
There are other, more specific, types of food which increase Oxytocin release.  Chocolate has been proven to increase the release of the hormone, as does capsaicin which is found in peppers.  Eat those jalapeno’s and cocoa powder people!

For women, the nipples have a lot to do with Oxytocin release.  Its important because when a mother is nursing, Oxytocin not only stimulates the breast into releasing its milk but also creates a bonding experience with the baby.  Of course, this means that the nipples can be used to release Oxytocin in situations not related with nursing :wink: Oh, BTW, massive amounts of Oxytocin are released upon birth, again creating a bond between mother and young.

There are many more things out there that can release Oxytocin that we don’t even studied yet.  Its believed that other senses other then touch, such as sight, sound, and smell may also stimulate Oxytocin release.  So looking at your favorite painting, or listening to your favorite music, etc. may release Oxytocin and create a feeling of wellbeing.

In the end, I think it only helps reinforce positive actions when you know the physical reactions behind them, for many it will justify them.  In the end, it says the same thing that has been said for milinia, positivity will lead to positivity, and negativity will induce negativity.  Do what makes you feel at peace and you will be at peace.

If you want to learn more about Oxytocin, there are many websites devoted to it as well as other related drugs such as Dopamine and Serotonin.  Just do a google search on Oxytocin and you’ll find all you’ll need :smile:

Hey, good luck out there!

--------------------
A Temporal Anomaly

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: Oxytocin, the Wonder Drug of Physical and Mental Health (long) [Re: OneWhoHasSeen]
    #8630614 - 07/13/08 08:47 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

oxytocin is a myth, much like dry land.

edit- before I get flamed, i know its not a myth.

--------------------
My name is Mud

Edited by DragonChaser (07/13/08 08:48 PM)

Offlineg00ru
m3dijai8
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: Oxytocin, the Wonder Drug of Physical and Mental Health (long) [Re: DragonChaser]
    #8630638 - 07/13/08 08:52 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Oxy, or dry land. 

Because I don't know about oxy, but dry land is certainly a myth.

--------------------
CLiK 4 my soundcloud

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Oxytocin, the Wonder Drug of Physical and Mental Health (long) [Re: g00ru]
    #8630672 - 07/13/08 09:00 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

i knew all that.

seems like they should be able to make a good drug working with those receptors.  motherfuckers at merk and pfizer better speed it up.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
Re: Oxytocin, the Wonder Drug of Physical and Mental Health (long) [Re: OneWhoHasSeen]
    #8631198 - 07/13/08 10:46 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

so, do people that only hate late oxytocin?

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Oxytocin, the Wonder Drug of Physical and Mental Health (long) [Re: LayYouIn]
    #8632571 - 07/14/08 09:05 AM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Oxytocin is awesome for big concerts or trance events, especially if you've got all your friends there. I love it.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: Oxytocin, the Wonder Drug of Physical and Mental Health (long) [Re: zouden]
    #8634671 - 07/14/08 08:41 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

is it legal?

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: Oxytocin, the Wonder Drug of Physical and Mental Health (long) [Re: LayYouIn]
    #8634695 - 07/14/08 08:47 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

i found some but it's for cats...:confused:

ill stick with opium.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub