Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomish
Stranger
Female

BRIGHT yellow mushroom??
    #8598972 - 07/06/08 12:24 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

I found a few of these very bright yellow mushrooms in the grass, in an area by my cabin, which is completely in the middle of the woods.  It stuck out to me, I thought it was a toy or something, thats how bright it is. Its very soft and spongy.  It doesnt bruise when you touch it.  Im not positive, but I think the stem is yellow, and I have no idea what color the gills are.  What kind of mushroom is it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: BRIGHT yellow mushroom?? [Re: Shroomish]
    #8598980 - 07/06/08 12:27 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineShroomish
Stranger
Female

Re: BRIGHT yellow mushroom?? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8599085 - 07/06/08 12:56 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

The cap was basically flat with a hump in the middle which made the cap curve a bit.

I just want to find some I can trip off of, sadly I can't find the ones I know grow around where I am.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8599164 - 07/06/08 01:28 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe you found a Bolbitius.  Check around horse stables for Panaeolus subbalteatus.

Invisiblefilthee
DWWP
Male

Loc: australia
    #10022233 - 03/22/09 09:33 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

I found a few of these exact as the picture growing in pine wood chips i have around my potted blueberries

Lepiota lutea

Mushrooms in Houseplant Pots

The Plant Disease Clinic occasionally receives calls about small, yellow mushrooms that pop up in the pots of houseplants. What are they? Where did they come from? Are they harmful to the plant? Can they harm people or pets?

In most cases, the fungus in question is Lepiota lutea, sometimes called the yellow parasol or flower pot parasol. This species can be found outside in the summer, but is most commonly found year-round with potted plants or in greenhouses. The small lemon yellow mushrooms are about 1 to 3 inches tall with 1 to 2 inch oval or bell-shaped caps. They may appear singly or in clusters.

A mushroom is the reproductive structure of a fungus that spends the rest of its life cycle as a thread-like body in the soil or debris, not usually visible. That thread-like body, called a mycelium, could have been introduced to the pot in the potting mix. Alternately, a spore of the fungus (similar to a seed) may have floated through the air and landed in the pot, starting the fungal colony.

The Lepiota lutea fungus is a saprophyte, which means that it breaks down dead organic matter in the pot. It does not harm living plants and mushrooms do not need to be removed for the plant's sake. However, the mushrooms are poisonous to people and animals, so if pets or small children are nearby it would be wise to remove the mushrooms as they appear. Fungicide treatments are generally not effective against mushrooms.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2007/1-10/mushrooms.html

Offlinelarmer
A.k.A. TriGGer

Loc: myceliuem
    #10022994 - 03/22/09 11:35 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomish said:
I found a few of these very bright yellow mushrooms in the grass, in an area by my cabin, which is completely in the middle of the woods.  It stuck out to me, I thought it was a toy or something, thats how bright it is. Its very soft and spongy.  It doesnt bruise when you touch it.  Im not positive, but I think the stem is yellow, and I have no idea what color the gills are.  What kind of mushroom is it?

marshmellows probably, sumtimes there yellow in my back yard

--------------------
AN ANIMATED RESPONSE FROM TRIGGER

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification