Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFunGuy420
Umbrella ShapedHat

Can breathing in spores be harmful?
    #8573634 - 06/28/08 07:56 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I left my little guys unattended for a day and when I got back my FC was full of spores. Would breathing in the spores make you sick? Fungus in the lungs? Anyone with suggestions before I ask my doctor.

--------------------
Now You Grow...And Growing Is Half The Battle!
YO GROOOOOW!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAroundtheSon
Learning to See
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest.
Re: Can breathing in spores be harmful? [Re: FunGuy420]
    #8573643 - 06/28/08 08:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It can make you sick if you inhale some nasty stuff, but I don't know exactly what kind of spores you inhaled.

Wear a mask and/or work in a well ventilated (outside) area.

Do not smell the substrate directly, but rather, waft the smell if you are curious (much like in chemistry).

Your probably fine, but for the future, practice better safety.:heartpump::mikemyers:

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
Re: Can breathing in spores be harmful? [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #8573706 - 06/28/08 08:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

you will be fine mate

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Can breathing in spores be harmful? [Re: FunGuy420]
    #8573714 - 06/28/08 08:43 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Shroom spores.. A onetime exposure won't do much of anything, the mucus will wash it out of your lungs.

Oyster mushroom spores: definitely not healthy!

Mold spores: no dice! You can get serious health complications or even die.

There are some mold spores that can give you fatal pulmonary edema. Thats the same lethal mechanism as what killed WW1 soldiers who breathed poison gas.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Re: Can breathing in spores be harmful? [Re: Asante]
    #8573731 - 06/28/08 08:52 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Your going to give him a panic attack.

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Can breathing in spores be harmful? [Re: Asante]
    #8573739 - 06/28/08 08:56 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

True.  For some people, the spores are just an irritation, but for others they can be really bad. 

For example, I can no longer grow Elm Oysters indoors due to a massive spore release one time when I already had the flu and felt too shitty to harvest the fruits that were ready to pick in my mini-greenhouse, located in my bedroom.  They filled the room with spores and I nearly died. . .seriously.  I tried growing them a year later, and when the very first substrate block fruited and dropped a few spores, I was unable to get my lungs to even take in a breath when I was in that room.  Mrs Rabbit had to get them out and clean out the greenhouse for me, and throw away ten or more substrate blocks that were just beginning to pin.

Cube spores mostly just make a mess, but I can see if one developed an allergy to them, it would be bad.  People with AIDS or other immune system diseases should avoid exposure completely.  Trichoderma has definitely been found growing in people's lungs, along with a few other species.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can breathing in spores be harmful? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8573887 - 06/28/08 10:02 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If you've got problems with your respiratory tract or immune system, you should probably avoid heavy sporulating species (pretty much all oysters, etc.) unless you are growing outdoors.  Anytime you have a fair number of blocks/jars/whatever fruiting, it's ALWAYS a good idea to wear a respirator. 

RR- have you had in "cross-sensitivity" after the ulmarius incident?  Just curious if it has affected your chances of growing other species (such as oysters and shitake)?

Oh, one last note,  NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES open a jar that has obvious or even suspected contamination.  JUST THROW IT AWAY. It is also a good idea to sterilize these jars (without ever opening them) to klll what is inside just in case you happen to break one during disposal. This type of exposure will be you most likely exposure to harmful (as in- potentially deadly) spores. 

Edited by MycoAu (06/28/08 10:04 AM)

OfflineGlorious
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Can breathing in spores be harmful? [Re: MycoAu]
    #9169709 - 11/01/08 07:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Here's my questiion:

Let's say you were handling some Galerinas thinking they were Cyans.  Would the Galerinas release deadly spores that would cause that person's death?  In other words, are Galerina spores deadly as well to accidently inhale?

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Re: Can breathing in spores be harmful? [Re: Glorious]
    #9169760 - 11/01/08 07:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

No not at all.

--------------------
Trade List

Offlinekingjames488
Stranger
Re: Can breathing in spores be harmful? [Re: Juke Adro]
    #11372164 - 11/02/09 07:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i've been feeling really crappy for a while now, and think its because of all the spores that have settled around my room from when i was drying out shrooms with a fan a few months ago. I stopped growing them a few months ago too, so theres no more sprores being produced.

just figured out this is prolly what is affecting me and i've been unknowingly breathing in a small ammount of spores and dried shroom powder for months now.

but im still alive (thank god) so i guess its not gonna kill you... just make you feel like crap for a while.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale