Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Physical effects of shrooms? (Long + short term)
    #626165 - 05/10/02 07:49 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Hey everyone
I was just wondering what are the (pref. scientifically proven) long & short term physical effects of magic mushroom consumption? (And how much do you have to consume to get these effects) For example a friend of mine has stopped taking shrooms because he said that they contain mercury which can build up in your brain (like the mad hatter!) And stuff like that.
Is there any published info on this?

NEW > Also, I (and many other people) experience a certain degree of bodily discomfort during tripping (as stated in MJ's post below). Some of my symptoms include; head cold type feelings in ears / sinus, and strange gut feelings / sounds these are the two main sources of disomfort in my trips. What causes this? Is it psilocybin, or other stuff in the shrooms? (We usually take ps. subaeruginosa) And is there any way of reducing these feelings (I always make shroom tea so I don't eat the raw materials but still get discomfort to a degree)
To me this is the only downside of shrooming, and if I could remove / reduce it, that would be damn fine!

Edited by Peace_Patrol (07/26/02 07:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChonger
Olive grower

Loc: England
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long term) [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #626463 - 05/11/02 05:22 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I hear they have shrooms on mercury

--------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long term) [Re: Chonger]
    #644087 - 05/24/02 08:44 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Hmmmmm... I was used to HELPFUL answers here at the shroomery....
Can anyone actually answer this question?

InvisiblePynchon
Slow Learner

Loc: New Zealand
    #644122 - 05/24/02 09:02 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Heh heh...don't feel bad, I've had university educated people assure me that mushrooms contain strychnine "and that's why you have to boil them". It's an urban legend, and the mercury thing is almost certainly just a variation of it (tho you could probably find traces of almost anything in almost everything if you look close enough)...

As for long term physical effects of psilocybin/psilocin itself...who knows? Remember that mushrooms have a very long history of use, so it's probably safe to assume they're fairly benign.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long term) [Re: Pynchon]
    #644233 - 05/25/02 01:02 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by mndfreeze

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
    #644545 - 05/25/02 08:49 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

The most dangerous physical effects we get from food and the air around us!!! Fuck the scientists!! They say mushrooms are bad, how about the milions of cars running so much fuel and stuff. What about the "E"(like E134) that exists in almost every kind of food. Scientists are so stupid and so are the goverments and so on. Why stop eating mushrooms(100% natural) and not stop drinking alchool or eating chemical McDonalds and stuff??

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Offlineanonymoushate

Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long term) [Re: dumlovesyou]
    #645145 - 05/25/02 06:37 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Not another one of you "all natural" dipshits, please. [sarcasm] Science is stupid, alright, I guess math is fictitious [/sarcasm]. Numbers don't lie, science is not stupid, the people who criticize it are stupid. The black death was "100% natural" too, does that mean it was/is safe? Don't consume something just because it's natural, fuck, lions are "natural" and I'll be damned if they won't kill you. The sad thing about today's world is that these people DID go to school, and most likely graduated at the top of their class! I don't mean to bash you dumlovesyou, but come on, natural doesn't always mean safe. Go ahead and knock yourself up with the Human Immuno-deficiency Virus, and THEN and only then can you preach about how safe all natural things are.

--------------------
All text in the above message, expressed or implied, is fiction.

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long term) [Re: anonymoushate]
    #645362 - 05/25/02 11:07 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Dude you got it all wrong.
Science is stupid, alright, I guess math is fictitious [/sarcasm]. Numbers don't lie, science is not stupid, the people who criticize it are stupid
4(mushrooms)=1(trip) BUT,
4(mushrooms)=2(trips) same intensity. How can numbers don't lie? We are all numbers in this planet. For economists and presidents and so on, we represent numbers..No humans anymore..

Don't consume something just because it's natural, fuck, lions are "natural" and I'll be damned if they won't kill you

You die if you eat lions? I didn't know it.

The sad thing about today's world is that these people DID go to school, and most likely graduated at the top of their class! I don't mean to bash you dumlovesyou, but come on, natural doesn't always mean safe

That was not my point. I didn't say that scientists didn't go to school or they are not inteligent persons. I just wanted to say that the things they do are no use! It's the scientists that created nuclear bomb. It's they that created the chemicals we eat in the food.(all the "E"s we eat cannot be proccesed by our body, and our stomach needs a lot extrawork to get them out).
I also didn't say that all natural are good. I just said that MUSHROOMS are better than other things we eat and breathe in our everyday life. Not if you eat them everyday, but few times per year.

Go ahead and knock yourself up with the Human Immuno-deficiency Virus, and THEN and only then can you preach about how safe all natural things are.

What is the conection between Hiv and the physical effects of mushrooms?

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Offline_JJ_
PsychedelicRevolutionary
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long term) [Re: dumlovesyou]
    #645554 - 05/26/02 05:19 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

In reply to:

That was not my point. I didn't say that scientists didn't go to school or they are not inteligent persons. I just wanted to say that the things they do are no use! It's the scientists that created nuclear bomb. It's they that created the chemicals we eat in the food.(all the "E"s we eat cannot be proccesed by our body, and our stomach needs a lot extrawork to get them out).
I also didn't say that all natural are good. I just said that MUSHROOMS are better than other things we eat and breathe in our everyday life. Not if you eat them everyday, but few times per year.

No use?! It's the scientists that have invented the computer you are typing on. The scientists who have ensured our standard of living is so high. The scientists who have almost doubled our life expectancy. The scientists are not to blame. Greedy corporations and tyrannical governments are.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #645597 - 05/26/02 06:13 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Hi, this reply is from Mushroom John's Shroom World in his field guide on symptoms and treatment I have brought you the following facts.

mj

First is:

PSYCHOACTIVE EFFECTS OF PSILOCYBIAN MUSHROOMS

Symptoms produced by eating fresh hallucinogenic mushrooms begin to occur within 15 to 30 minutes after ingestion (or from 5 to 10 minutes when prepared in the form of tea or soup). Symptoms persist for up to four to six hours after ingestion. In 1960, Clinical effects studied by Hollister et al. (1962) for psilocybine intoxication in humans was reported as being:

"0-30 minutes - Slight nausea, giddiness (light-headed), abdominal discomfort, weakness, muscle aches and twitches, shivering, anxiety, restlessness, and a numbness of lips.

30-60 minutes - Visual effects (blurring, brighter colors, sharper outlines, longer after-images, visual patterns with closed eyes). Increased hearing, yawning, sweating, facial flushing. Decreased concentration and attention, slow thinking, feelings of unreality, depersonalization, dreamy state. Inco-ordination, tremulous speech.

60-120 minutes - Increased visual effects (colored patterns and shapes, mostly with eyes closed). Wave-motion of viewed surfaces. Impaired distant perception. Euphoria, increased perception, and a slowed passage of time.

120-240 minutes - Waning and nearly complete resolution of above effects. Returning to normal within 4-12 hours. Other effects often include: Decreased salivation and appetite; uncontrollable laughter; transient sexual feelings and synesthesias (e.g., `seeing' sounds)."

For comparison with the clinical experience described above, the following is an excerpt from one of R. Gordon Wasson's experience with psilocybin mushrooms:

"The mushrooms take effect differently with different persons. For example, some seem to experience only a divine euphoria, which may translate itself into uncontrollable laughter. In my case I experienced hallucinations. What I was seeing was more clearly seen than anything I had seen before. At last I was seeing with the eye of the soul, not through the coarse lenses of my natural eyes. Moreover, what I was seeing was impregnated with weighty meaning: I was awe-struck."

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

TREATMENT FOR PSILOCYBIAN MUSHROOM POISONING

The major dangers associated with psilocybin poisonings are primarily psychological in nature. Anxiety or panic states ("bad trips"), depressive or paranoid reactions, mood changes, disorientation and an inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy may occur.

Recommended treatment for this type of poisoning should always be primarily supportive. Mycologist Dr. Joseph Ammirati of the University of Washington and his colleagues claim that "no specific treatment can be recommended for psilocybin poisoning in humans". Other doctors have "stress[ed] the importance of measures to reduce absorption of the toxins involved". This involves either, e.g., gastric lavage or emesis Lincoff & Mitchell, 1977; Rumack & Saltzman, 1978; Smith, 1978).

Emesis. 15-30 cc of ipecac syrup followed by large amounts of oral liquids (500 cc).

Supportive treatment: i.e. the "talk-down" technique is the preferred method for handling "bad trips". It involves non-moralizing, comforting, personal support from an experienced individual. This is further aided by limiting external stimulation such as intense light or loud sounds and letting the person lie down and perhaps listen to soft music.

Tranquilizers need only be used in extreme situations and are generally not considered to be necessary. Diazepam, 0.1 mg/kg in children, up to 10 mg in adults, may be used to control seizures.

According to Dr. Rick Strassman of the University of New Mexico, anti-psychotics have gone out of favor for the treatment of `bad trips'. Specifically, medicines with anti-cholinergic side effects, such as chlorpromazine, should not be given as these mushrooms can have marked anti-cholinergic effects of their own.

In 1988, Dr. Jansen noted that cases which present medically fall into several groups:

Those who have taken the drug with little knowledge of hallucinogens and in the absence of sensible persons who can take care of them. These are more likely to be adolescents. They may self-present but are more often brought for medical attention by their parents.

Those who fall as a result of impaired balance or muscle weakness and are knocked out or otherwise injured as a result.

Those who are having a `bad trip'. These may involve acute anxiety and panic, depression, paranoid reactions, disorientation and an inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy.

Cases of idiosyncratic physical reactions such as cyanosis.

Those with recurring phenomena after the mushroom effects should have passed, including prolonged psychosis.

When the history is clear and the signs are suggestive of psilocybian intoxication, it is best not to artificially empty the stomach either by emesis with ipecac or by lavage. Treatment shows that emptying the stomach had no effect on the duration or intensity of the experience once psychological manifestations had properly commenced. Dr. Jansen maintains that unless there is a reason to suspect that a more toxic fungus has been ingested, or if the patient is a young child, induced emesis is not necessary, not helpful and may make the situation much worse if the patient is already aggressive and agitated.

Other doctors have also speculated that a lavage is not merited if psilocybian mushrooms have been positively identified as the source of discomfort. It has also been suggested that "gastric intubation can be difficult in these young patients who are often already distressed and not infrequently aggressive. Furthermore the mushrooms may block the standard lavage tubes [used] for drug overdoses."

The inherent danger from the ingestion of wild mushrooms lies not so much in the consumption of an hallucinogenic variety, but rather in the picking and eating of a toxic species which might resemble an hallucinogenic variety.

Dr. Gast?n Guzm?n (and his colleagues wrote that "field and laboratory studies strongly indicate that psychoactive mushroom use as it normally occurs does not constitute a drug abuse problem or a public health hazard" (Guzm?n et al., 1976). In addition, a recent survey conducted among college students in California, suggests that "the low frequency and few negative effects of [hallucinogenic mushroom] use indicate that abuse does not present a social problem, nor is there evidence for predicting the development of a problem" Thompson et al., 1985).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

While the last two references are valid they are ignored by most of those in the drug and Law Enforcement Organizations in the AMericas and the rest of the world who fashion their drug laws after those established inthe Ameiricas.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long term) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #647771 - 05/27/02 11:36 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

In my less expierenced past i used mushrooms 4-5 weekends in a row. After about the 4th and 5th time i felt a little down about everything. In a kind of emotion less state. I would just kinda shrug everything off which is not my normal personality. I got kind of depressed for about a week. This was all going on during some hectic school work. I still managed to get all the work done and get good grades but it put serious stress on me.

I dunno if my mental side effects where caused from stress from school or the mushrooms or a combo of both. I was fine after a few weeks but i really had to talk myself down from it. I felt myself on the fringe of just breaking down a few times. I dont know about physical issues.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long term) [Re: baraka]
    #648034 - 05/27/02 01:33 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

i know this is probably an urban myth, but has anyone else heard anything about it.... 'apparently' shrooms are v.bad for your long term eyesight
whats the deal?

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long term) [Re: deepr]
    #779154 - 07/26/02 07:43 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey everyone
Just wanted to point out that I added some short term questions to my original post. By this I am talking physical discomfort WHILE on shrooms, which to me is the only downside of shrooming (however quite a major one) and one which I really want to find out WHY and see if it is avoidable.

Offlineshroominsmurf
enthusiast
Loc: Where The Good Times Are
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long + short term) [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #781236 - 07/27/02 10:55 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

liver damage, because like alcohol and many other substances its processed threw your liver, and with excessive use, it can damage it. theoretically never heard of a case. but that doesn't mean there isn't one

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long + short ter [Re: shroominsmurf]
    #781240 - 07/27/02 11:12 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I think the effects on the liver are very mild, if not, non existant. Perhaps abuse of the shrooms can lead some sort of damage to the liver, but alas, I haven't heard of any research on it. I don't think use in moderation does cause any damage to the liver or any parts of the body.

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long + short ter [Re: Sheepish]
    #782642 - 07/28/02 05:47 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, so any input on why peoples bodies feel so fucked up WHILE on shrooms? This is what I am more interested in at the moment, since this is the only bad part about shroom trippin for me.
On a side note, yesterday I brewed up some shroom tea and instead of just seiving it, I strained it through a cloth and it came out pretty much clear - I experienced a lot less body fuckedness too.

OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long + short term) [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #782867 - 07/28/02 07:49 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The bodily discomfort/wierdness is all of your nervs. From what I've read - normally your brain ignores the nerves that are ok. If you were to get stuck by a pin, or burned, you then would feel those nerves. Its a natural filter. When you injest halutiongenic mushrooms - it takes away that filter. Now, instead of only feeling what is importent, you can feel every nerve in your body. Thats what makes it feel like your skin is crawling, or the wierd stomach feeling you get while comming up. Its normal, and I dont think theirs a way to avoid it.

Invisibledilatedcreature
veteran

#841777 - 08/25/02 06:10 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Sometimes right after a mushroom trip people say I look like i'm kinda depressed but really I'm just deep in thought......

OfflineOvergard
Stranger
Male

Loc: Somewhere in this one go aroun...
    #28677589 - 02/26/24 10:30 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

So,  just out of curiosity,  you said in your "less experienced past"... Have you tried anything like this again?  And, what kinda dosages were you taking?

I tried doing the same in a test-theory of micro .3-.5g vs 1-2g weekly+/- depending on set/setting, and felt kind of the same as you'd described. 

[I'd been planning out each journey with a light meal, made sure to drink plenty of water throughout [I feel like they flush you out of everything/toxins via fluids etc so need to stay hydrated] and usually took some supplements such as ginseng/ginko, fadogia agretis, tongkat Ali and  ++tinctures containing lion's mane, cordyceps (both early in the day) reishi, turkey tail and chaga.]

With trying to stay on path and make observations before/after... I noticed that week to week, the afterglow lasted from 4-14-6 days.  But on the return to 'un-normalcy',  I felt that same kinda lackluster anti-psilocyn depression I was fighting so hard to get out from under.  Like, hard.  Food, exercise, sleep... Tried to stay consistent but it became harder.
Really not sure if it was truly "set" [I was dealing with something that was challenging my mind and heart], or if maybe some underlying bad expectation doubled back to bring me down. 

Very curious as there's so many mixed experiences shared and they're hard to follow in the rabbit hole.

--------------------
Deep  and unavoidable distractibility  🙉🙈🙊

OfflineGiermmo
You fuckin' druggo
 User Gallery

Re: Physical effects of shrooms? (Long term) [Re: Overgard]
    #28677666 - 02/26/24 11:45 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Overgard said:
So,  just out of curiosity,  you said in your "less experienced past"... Have you tried anything like this again?  And, what kinda dosages were you taking?

I tried doing the same in a test-theory of micro .3-.5g vs 1-2g weekly+/- depending on set/setting, and felt kind of the same as you'd described. 

[I'd been planning out each journey with a light meal, made sure to drink plenty of water throughout [I feel like they flush you out of everything/toxins via fluids etc so need to stay hydrated] and usually took some supplements such as ginseng/ginko, fadogia agretis, tongkat Ali and  ++tinctures containing lion's mane, cordyceps (both early in the day) reishi, turkey tail and chaga.]

With trying to stay on path and make observations before/after... I noticed that week to week, the afterglow lasted from 4-14-6 days.  But on the return to 'un-normalcy',  I felt that same kinda lackluster anti-psilocyn depression I was fighting so hard to get out from under.  Like, hard.  Food, exercise, sleep... Tried to stay consistent but it became harder.
Really not sure if it was truly "set" [I was dealing with something that was challenging my mind and heart], or if maybe some underlying bad expectation doubled back to bring me down. 

Very curious as there's so many mixed experiences shared and they're hard to follow in the rabbit hole.

This thread is 20 years old.
Last seen: 19 years, 6 months  So he probably won't reply you.

--------------------
Don't worry mate, what you're gonna feel is a slight burning in your heart, your lungs, your brain, your kidneys, your liver, bottom of your feet, your eyeballs, then you start bleeding from your nose and ears, then you start tripping out and seeing everything in the form of an anime cartoon which is really fucking cool.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures