Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Loc: Seattle
LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory
    #8188420 - 03/24/08 06:17 PM (16 years, 26 days ago)

This thread was sparked by a video someone posted a few days ago about a brain scientist who had a stroke. It's pretty fascinating, here's the link. if you don't have 18 minutes, I'll briefly describe what led me to this train of thought.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/229

The human brain, as many of us know, is divided into two hemispheres. The right exists on the energy surrounding you. It absorbes, (and is), every bit of sensory and emotional input of your waking, present conciousness. All the energy of everything you see, taste, touch, feel, want, smell.. is brought together in the right hemisphere, compiled, and becomes your initial perception of... well, everything. But what your right brain observes is only half what we consider 'waking reality.'

The information is then passed along, through the corpus callosum, over to your left hemisphere. In the left side of your brain exists all of your memories, logic, sense of time, knowledge, language... your structured world.

Everything your right brain feels and sees is fed over to the left brain to compare, figure out, process, and put together. The *full* reality, conciousness, existance, perception (what ever you prefer to call it) that you experience is the result of both your right brain's collection of energy, and your left brain's rendition of what it all means.

When we're sober, when you see a normal everyday object, (say, a car), your left brain will immediatly recognize the shapes, tires, windows, etc. and the word "car" is brought up. everything is normal, nothing weird or significant at all about that car.

But when you're on a psychedelic, everything and anything takes on one hell of a meaning. the energy of that ordinary car becomes almost a part of who you are.
I have a hypothesis about this, and how it relates to the Psilocybin vs. LSD discussion.

Through my limited experiences with both substances, if asked to describe the difference, I would say that mushrooms obviously affect the normally seamless flow of information from right to left.

The energy that is what we see, seems to stay that way: as energy. We become part of the same enegry that surrounds us. The boundaries of my body disintegrate, and I become part of nature. Part of the reality that I am now having a hard time calculating and distinguishing as normal/abnormal. When I see a car on mushrooms, it's not just a car. It's fucking amazing. The way it moves. The way light reflects off each and every atom. It's not another every day object; it's confusing. It's so beautiful. [of course, a car is just an example of anything that we may encounter while on a psychedelic journey.] But the point is, my life on mushrooms is largly the present energy, and very little of the familiarity of life while sober. The structured understanding of reality simply ceases during a mushroom experience. And I believe this is a direct result of the silencing of your left hemisphere.

NOW, LSD is a different story. I don't have as much experience here, but would you all agree with my theory that Acid seems to almost REVERSE the flow of existential information, from LEFT to RIGHT.

Your thoughts, memories, theories, structured emotions, are being fed BACK to the emotional/energetic side of your brain, and almost re-experienced. The memory of that car you saw becomes so complex you can almost feel it. you can see it, smell it... become it.
Acid doesn't block the structured world. It doesn't quiet your ego, it doesn't erase time (though it sure fucks with it), Acid lets you exist in your left hemisphere. Your thoughts are projected into you waking reality.

Well..I've been thinking about this a lot over the weekend. Again, this is lots of brainstorming and I havn't fully comprehended it yet. What do you guys think? Please argue, add, share, or take this and run with it. and watch that video!

--------------------
...I got nothin..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineallisthesame
Stranger

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: bongoboy2000]
    #8188426 - 03/24/08 06:19 PM (16 years, 26 days ago)

You got something,...

--------------------
Guess what?; You...

A spot of Sunshine: We are energy,... matter is energy that simply has been reduced to a crawl and condensed together to form something.

Offlinetriste
Stranger
Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: allisthesame]
    #8188489 - 03/24/08 06:36 PM (16 years, 26 days ago)

"The locus coeruleus processes so many sensory inputs (a flow of incoming data if you like) that it is considered to function as a 'novelty detector' and is able to influence one's state of arousal. By monitoring the constant surge of 'electrochemical traffic' passing through it, the locus coeruleus is able to detect changes in the flow of data should a change occur and thus alert other parts of the brain. According to our expert G.K.Aghajanian, both psilocybin and mescaline bind to these 5-HT2 sites in the locus coeruleus and thus alter the functioning of this system, ultimately raising levels of alertness and arousal. In other words, it once again seems that entheogens function by making more information available to the experiencer."

"Psilocybin and LSD's dampening effect on serotonergic neurons facilitated an increase in neuronal firing in those areas of the brain in contact with the raphe system (like the aforementioned visual and limbic/emotion systems). It was this effect, this enhancement of neuronal activation, that was believed to correlate with the entheogenic experience itself."

That's how LSD/mushrooms actually work.

http://www.shroomery.org/6300/The-Mushroom-and-the-Synapse

Offlinewildchild68
lion in a coma
 User Gallery

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: triste]
    #8190216 - 03/25/08 02:51 AM (16 years, 26 days ago)

Very interesting. You definitely could be onto something.

I'm very interested in exactly how these drugs effect the brain in such complex ways as well.

--------------------

Offlineempires
Stranger
    #8308863 - 04/20/08 08:58 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I would agree that the psychedelic experience (like that of meditation or sensory deprivation) can blur the lines of objective/subjective experience. It can bring you a bit closer to experiencing the true nature of reality as a collective unconscious. But I think if it is in fact possible to ever achieve a state of perception free of self or subject, it has to come from years and years of rigorous training through meditation. Lots of monks and various other spritual gurus claim to have experienced this.

OfflineContinuum
Kid A

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: empires]
    #8309046 - 04/20/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

To the OP and anyone interested:

You should read a book called 'Saving the Appearances' by Owen Barfield

Humans used to perceive in their normal everyday lives as though they were a part of nature, participating in their sensory experiences. The scientific revolution changed all that, but now science is discovering more and more how much the external world depends on perception.

A dense, but excellent read

Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: Continuum]
    #8310766 - 04/21/08 02:34 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

hey thanks for the book suggestion. I've been looking for something intelligent to read, I'll keep my eye out for it!

--------------------
...I got nothin..

InvisibleHiei
8======><=====8
Male User Gallery

#8310784 - 04/21/08 02:42 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Very interesting stuff there. :smile:

--------------------
◄►۞◄►

OfflineDick535
Stranger

#8311198 - 04/21/08 04:37 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bongoboy2000 said:

NOW, LSD is a different story. I don't have as much experience here, but would you all agree with my theory that Acid seems to almost REVERSE the flow of existential information, from LEFT to RIGHT.

Your thoughts, memories, theories, structured emotions, are being fed BACK to the emotional/energetic side of your brain, and almost re-experienced. The memory of that car you saw becomes so complex you can almost feel it. you can see it, smell it... become it.
Acid doesn't block the structured world. It doesn't quiet your ego, it doesn't erase time (though it sure fucks with it), Acid lets you exist in your left hemisphere. Your thoughts are projected into you waking reality.

I don't quite understand what you mean.

Are you in essence saying that shrooms "take off the blinders" whilst LSD amplifies what you experience within the blinders so that you are able to realize there is more information beyond what you are able to see.

So to use an analogy: Shrooms take away a persons "camera" through which they view the world. Whereas LSD enables you to fuck around with the camera, moving it around to get new perspectives. But it does not actually remove it.

--------------------
"The poor [peyote using] Indian, on the other hand, has had the wit to protect his rear by supplementing the fig leaf of a theology with the breechclout of transcendental experience" - Aldous Huxley

Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: Dick535]
    #8311301 - 04/21/08 05:01 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm. I would say rather than taking off the blinders, it's removing the eye from behind the camera. You are not looking at the frame thinking "oh I want that and that in my picture." It's more like letting the aperature take in anything and everything, and observing the picture without applying your knowledge of photography.. loving the colors and the energy that your picture offers. Not analyzing it.

I like your analogy for LSD though! Fucking with the settings so you can see and create the picture you want..

--------------------
...I got nothin..

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#8311501 - 04/21/08 05:52 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bongoboy2000 said: Acid seems to almost REVERSE the flow of existential information, from LEFT to RIGHT.

Although I would love for the effects of such incredibly complex entheogens like mushrooms or acid to be able to be simplified down to a coherent pattern or system of interactions with our thoughts, I am highly skeptical as to the validity of any such guess. Not to knock your theory too much, but IMO trying to explain the nature of our brain chemistry changing with mere words, as byproducts of this brain chemistry itself, especially in this highly over-simplified fashion, seems a trifle naive.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineOrbital_Saucer
Other
Male

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: deCypher]
    #8312355 - 04/21/08 09:51 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Especially since, to be honest, the two drugs can be very, very similar. (I know I'm going to be shat on for that one)

How could two similar experiences be had if the drugs did essentially completely opposite things, as you say?

Offlinewildchild68
lion in a coma
 User Gallery

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: Orbital_Saucer]
    #8312672 - 04/21/08 11:24 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Man, it still blows my mind that there's people that feel mushrooms and LSD are very, very similar.

In the same class of drugs? Sure. Almost identical effects?  No way.

Sorry, had to.:cool:

--------------------

OfflineOrbital_Saucer
Other
Male

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: wildchild68]
    #8312713 - 04/21/08 11:33 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, I said they can be. Definitely not always, though. :tongue2:

Edited by Orbital_Saucer (04/21/08 11:34 PM)

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: Orbital_Saucer]
    #8312802 - 04/22/08 12:01 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I dont really want to put these drugs in any psychedelic category.

but

I feel that lsd is more analytical, complex and geometric.

Mushrooms can also be very analytical, complex and geometric.

Which is better for what reason?
I dont care.

I like lsd the most.

Im a musician.
Lsd invites certain geometries that help with playing music, and also insight as to what music means in all forms.

Mushrooms do the same but hinder musical abilities more-so while tripping(motor function-fuck), and mushrooms make music more emotional than lsd does(crying). What a paradox.......
They all do the same thing to some degree.

I find lsd to be more of an articulate stepping stone to at the very least, musical enlightenment.
Certainly lsd is not a more effective hallucinogen.

My fav is mushrooms in a way.
I just know enough about lsd to make such a strange metaphore.
Its up in the air!

I though, personally think lsd is the most profound, pliable and complex psychedelic I have ever used aside from ayahuasca.

This is all opinion.

Ya know................

I mean, some people dont get visuals from salvia D, but some people get MASSSSSSSSSSSSIVE visuals on just the salvia leaf.

One is more this way or that way?

I dont care.
Right brain and left brain shit seems laughable when comparing the two.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

Edited by yageman (04/22/08 12:03 AM)

Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: yageman]
    #8312865 - 04/22/08 12:26 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

So which is your favorite yageman? Acid or shrooms..? You said you liked lsd the most, then you said mushies were your fave.

Which is it? If you had to pick one, which one would it be? :smile:

--------------------
"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."  --Max Planck

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#8313230 - 04/22/08 03:01 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

it is sad that people started a left right theory - there is no significant different purpose to left and right side of brain except left and right side of body.
those are medieval ideas.

the traffic in corpus callosum is way faster and low level than after processing, hand it over - processing occurs throughout simultaneously, and corpus callosum facillitates that.

source signals fire and bloom at cortex. cortex supports interference and motifs emerge from that, secondary linkage triggered by motifs (holographic interference/shadow forms) uses corpus callosum to leverage association from both halfs simultaneously.

now theorize.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlineallisthesame
Stranger

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: redgreenvines]
    #8313279 - 04/22/08 03:30 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

ok, redgreenvines...

Not alot of people would know what actions and re-actions take place in your brain after psychedelics... but what if the reverse flow of existential information is a viable way to explain LSD's unknown mode of action. It seems reasonable to an extent... I mean, I find that Psilocybin for example would INVERT the flow of existential information in MY brain, as if with Acid you get info flowing out and with Mushrooms you have info flowing in. That simple. But it obviously isn't a matter of left verses right... there are plenty of little devices around I'm sure.

Oh yeah,... like that ramping theory you've explained. Maybe the way the ramps or stairs or what have you, stack in a way that would differentiate the exponential effects of the psychedelic?

--------------------
Guess what?; You...

A spot of Sunshine: We are energy,... matter is energy that simply has been reduced to a crawl and condensed together to form something.

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: tyler_0_durden]
    #8313360 - 04/22/08 05:17 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tyler_0_durden said:
So which is your favorite yageman? Acid or shrooms..? You said you liked lsd the most, then you said mushies were your fave.

Which is it? If you had to pick one, which one would it be? :smile:

Id rather not pick a fav.

But like I was sort of saying.

Lsd is my fav if I was to choose.
I honestly think these psychedelics are all just that different though.
  So its a difficult choice.

They are both my favs.......lol

ayahuasca is a different animal for me.
  Doesnt enter into the equasion if there ever was one..

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
Loc: the dirty dirty
Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: wildchild68]
    #8313585 - 04/22/08 08:24 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

interesting

Quote:

wildchild68 said:

I'm very interested in exactly how these drugs effect the brain in such complex ways as well.

--------------------
:partykid:

OfflineSupreme Slammage
Time Traveler
Male

#11333630 - 10/27/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bongoboy2000 said:
This thread was sparked by a video someone posted a few days ago about a brain scientist who had a stroke. It's pretty fascinating, here's the link. if you don't have 18 minutes, I'll briefly describe what led me to this train of thought.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/229

The human brain, as many of us know, is divided into two hemispheres. The right exists on the energy surrounding you. It absorbes, (and is), every bit of sensory and emotional input of your waking, present conciousness. All the energy of everything you see, taste, touch, feel, want, smell.. is brought together in the right hemisphere, compiled, and becomes your initial perception of... well, everything. But what your right brain observes is only half what we consider 'waking reality.'

The information is then passed along, through the corpus callosum, over to your left hemisphere. In the left side of your brain exists all of your memories, logic, sense of time, knowledge, language... your structured world.

Everything your right brain feels and sees is fed over to the left brain to compare, figure out, process, and put together. The *full* reality, conciousness, existance, perception (what ever you prefer to call it) that you experience is the result of both your right brain's collection of energy, and your left brain's rendition of what it all means.

When we're sober, when you see a normal everyday object, (say, a car), your left brain will immediatly recognize the shapes, tires, windows, etc. and the word "car" is brought up. everything is normal, nothing weird or significant at all about that car.

But when you're on a psychedelic, everything and anything takes on one hell of a meaning. the energy of that ordinary car becomes almost a part of who you are.
I have a hypothesis about this, and how it relates to the Psilocybin vs. LSD discussion.

Through my limited experiences with both substances, if asked to describe the difference, I would say that mushrooms obviously affect the normally seamless flow of information from right to left.

The energy that is what we see, seems to stay that way: as energy. We become part of the same enegry that surrounds us. The boundaries of my body disintegrate, and I become part of nature. Part of the reality that I am now having a hard time calculating and distinguishing as normal/abnormal. When I see a car on mushrooms, it's not just a car. It's fucking amazing. The way it moves. The way light reflects off each and every atom. It's not another every day object; it's confusing. It's so beautiful. [of course, a car is just an example of anything that we may encounter while on a psychedelic journey.] But the point is, my life on mushrooms is largly the present energy, and very little of the familiarity of life while sober. The structured understanding of reality simply ceases during a mushroom experience. And I believe this is a direct result of the silencing of your left hemisphere.

Well..I've been thinking about this a lot over the weekend. Again, this is lots of brainstorming and I havn't fully comprehended it yet. What do you guys think? Please argue, add, share, or take this and run with it. and watch that video!

I disagree.  Shrooms have fed me back my own past and thoughts biographical info etc...

Also if you read staislav graf and his 100's of clinical studies with acid, it becomes obvious that LSD also allows for the effects you described of shrooms.  Graf has observed in others and personally experienced transcendence from lsd.  People leaving there bodies and observing things that they couldn't from there physical position on earth.  He then checked sometimes to see if it had any grounding in reality and many times they described things which they had never experienced or had any way of experiencing in accurate detail.  For example a person(this was with like 400 mcg or more)experienced the conciousness of obscure animals that he had no knowledge of and described there mating habits in detail.  Graf recorded his description and later contacted bioligists.  THey said they no one other than animal specialists would know about these habbits and that he himself could not have described them in such detail.

--------------------
Solar Layering METHOD!!!
TO INFINITY AND BEYOND

OfflineEviander
Archon
Male

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: Supreme Slammage]
    #11334157 - 10/27/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Obviously if you want to overcomplicate simple truths discovered by early pre-imperial spiritual communities (the indians and soma (holy cow holy shrooms)..shamans, peyote, ahyuascha, and now lsd).This seems like a psychological theory for a well known mystical principle of the oneness of all perception and vibrational energy.

Offlinejimmystubs
Backyard Chemist
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: redgreenvines]
    #13251709 - 09/26/10 10:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
it is sad that people started a left right theory - there is no significant different purpose to left and right side of brain except left and right side of body.
those are medieval ideas.

the traffic in corpus callosum is way faster and low level than after processing, hand it over - processing occurs throughout simultaneously, and corpus callosum facillitates that.

source signals fire and bloom at cortex. cortex supports interference and motifs emerge from that, secondary linkage triggered by motifs (holographic interference/shadow forms) uses corpus callosum to leverage association from both halfs simultaneously.

now theorize.

I am very surprised to hear this, I thought the differences between the right and left brain is well documented and that a high percentage (over 60%) of people are left brain dominant, whether they are right handed or left. Can anyone else site information to disprove this?

In the book above the OP is talking about, a study is mentioned where the right and left brain were surgically separated to help people with acute epilepsy, apparently after the separation, if asked to solve a problem, their answer or way of solving the problem would be distinctly different, depending on which part of the brain became active to solve the problem or respond to the question. This study was done in the 70s and I thought that was proof that the two brains function in very different ways.

I have often felt while tripping that there is not just one mind, and that the voice I hear (brain chatter) is my left side, being analytical and the place where 'ego' lives and is receiving information from the right side. After dosing high enough with mushrooms I have felt this completely change/disappear altogether. This book the OP is talking about really spoke out to me in relation to my tripping experience, and when she discusses what it was like to have a stroke which attacked her left brain, in many ways it seemed really relational to what it is like to experience ego-loss while tripping.

I dont particularly agree with the OP in relation to what was said about LSD vs mushrooms, but I do think what was said about mushrooms seems likely, if in fact it is true that the two hemispheres are different.

Sorry for re-igniting an old thread but I couldn't help myself, I find this very interesting and hope people want to input feedback.

--------------------
------

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free

Journal of an Australian finding supplies

OfflineAldebaran
Psilo-Scribe
Male User Gallery

Loc: Altered States of Europe
Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: jimmystubs]
    #13254334 - 09/27/10 03:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The links in the 1st and 3rd posts on this thread are well worth checking out, so no harm in reviving it. I'd seen the video but hadn't read the "Mushroom and the Synapse" stuff which is fascinating - I might buy the book when it comes out.

Quote:

I thought the differences between the right and left brain is well documented and that a high percentage (over 60%) of people are left brain dominant, whether they are right handed or left. Can anyone else site information to disprove this?

If you are really interested in this topic, there is a good book called The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World which is worth reading. You can tell just from the title that it's a huge doorstop of a book, but it's very interesting. The subject is "the relationship between the history of ideas and shifts in brain hemisphere function." The author describes the subtle differences between the way the left and right brain work. He basically says that although the hemispheres mostly do the same things and communicate extensively with each other, there is a difference in how they do it - leading to each hemisphere having a distinct worldview. He has a (fairly speculative but well written) theory that cultural shifts in the past have been due to changes in which hemisphere is more dominant across society at the time. It's a really wide-ranging book that delves into the history of european art and culture, aswell as talking about brain science and the many experiments into hemisphere differences.

Quote:

I have often felt while tripping that there is not just one mind, and that the voice I hear (brain chatter) is my left side, being analytical and the place where 'ego' lives and is receiving information from the right side.

When tripping, I get a similar experience, an awareness that my consciousness is actually highly fragmented, and that what I think of as "me" is just one element in a larger operation. Whether this fits neatly into a "left brain/right brain" division is open to question.

--------------------
I wrote that, but I meant something else

Offlinemx4inpa
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: Aldebaran]
    #13289229 - 10/04/10 03:49 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I had started my own thread not knowing this one was here. This is what it said.

Stroke of Insight

Has anyone else seen this? I know it's in Wiccan Seekers sig but I saw it long before I joined here.

The way she described it sounded just like she was on some kind of psychedelic. I think the clot was on her left hemisphere. It makes me wonder if psychedelics are just somehow blocking off the left side of the brain and letting the right side take over.

If you havent seen it and dont feel like seeking out Wiccans sig here's the link.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: mx4inpa]
    #13299207 - 10/06/10 03:07 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

hey, thanks for posting on this, I had forgotten all about it. I've learned a lot (and have enjoyed many more trips) since first writing this, and when I have a few moments I'm going to revise my old theories based on some of the great comments that have been posted over the months.
keep it up  :smile:

--------------------
...I got nothin..

Offlinea2dalex
Stranger

#13462488 - 11/10/10 05:46 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe it's not all about LSD vs Mushrooms but the Human Brain on these substances...meaning what makes their effects different is how you perceive the two substances and your state of mind going into the trip. Which would give the illusion that the two effect you differently but doesn't every trip effect us differently, just like everyday is a little different.

OfflineCDClock
Stranger

Re: LSD vs. MUSHROOMS and The Human Brain- a theory [Re: a2dalex]
    #13463103 - 11/10/10 09:36 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm studying neuroscience right now and while the right and left hemispheres have different functions, there is quite a bit of overlap.

Also, LSD's method of action is much more complex than psilocin's. It agonizes and antagonizes a larger variety of receptors in comparison (LSD is a weak agonist of the kappa opiod receptor for example).

The specific way psychedelics work on the brain is not known very well. They definitely act on the temporal lobe in a pretty extreme way but I've read some stuff that suggests there's a cascading action that causes a large part of the brain to be affected.

I'm interested in DMT's pharmacology.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#13463353 - 11/10/10 10:54 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

An interesting theory.

However, the primary mechanism of action of both compounds is similar, and via 5-HT2A receptors.  From an anatomical perspective, both substances would be expected to effect identical brain strcutures.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinewinetown
Stranger
    #18269049 - 05/15/13 02:24 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I just watched the doc, googled if there was any information, found this thread and signed up, just to say this. I strongly believe that in a state of psychedelic ecstacy - we are in complete harmony with all living on this planet. Maybe even the universe. Millions of people can testify to this so why not just call it a fact. Bless y'all

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract