Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Vitamins and supplements to become prescription drugs?
    #4396444 - 07/12/05 03:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Constructed by the pharmaceutical industry, the Codex Alimentarius Commission is a self-proclaimed expert organization that has allied with the World Health Organization (WHO) and the World Food Organization (FAO). From the beginning, this was done with the intention of passing regulations and laws to protect the global pharmaceutical market.

Of the 30 committees using the title "Codex Alimentarius," those involved with food supplements and vitamins are of particular interest to the pharmaceutical industry. The central committee is the "Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses." A puppet of the pharmaceutical industry, this committee has only been concerned with one topic since the middle of the 1990's: how to prevent vitamins and other food supplements from causing the collapse of the markets for beta-blockers, calcium antagonists, cholesterol lowering products and other widely superfluous pharmaceutical preparations.

The aims of Codex Alimentarius are clearly defined: Statements on the curative effects of vitamins and other natural remedies will be banned and made a punishable offense. In the future, the distinction between a foodstuff and a medicine will be made by the pharmaceutical industry itself and not by governments."

This subject will be the topic on Coast to Coast AM Wednesday night.

Here is a link to the U.S. branch of the Codex. Let them know what you think!

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/regulations_&_policies/Codex_Alimentarius/index.asp

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Re: Vitamins and supplements to become prescription drugs? [Re: Jellric]
    #4396988 - 07/12/05 05:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The codex is total horseshit.  All I have to say is if anyone ever tells me that I need a prescription to buy my vitamins and supplements the results will not be pretty... :enraged: :sniper:

Thankfully, the supplement industry also pulls in billions of dollars per year and they will fight this until the bitter end.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Vitamins and supplements to become prescription drugs? [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4398742 - 07/13/05 03:14 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Pharmaceutical companies and their friends in the government disgust me. After some unpleasant experiences with doctors(such as my physician recommending that I take an anti-psychotic in convenient sample packs for insomnia) I've committed myself to staying away from any pharmaceuticals, aside from infrequent recreational use, and the money grubbing doctors that prescribe them.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Vitamins and supplements to become prescription drugs? [Re: Twister]
    #4398964 - 07/13/05 07:01 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I found an interesting supplement to this issue on snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/vitamins.asp

With the three "key sentences" being:
"Vitamins and minerals are not under the gun. Dietary supplements are. And no outside regulatory body is behind this move: the proposed legislation is the work of American lawmakers looking to safeguard the public from the unscrupulous and the hazardous."

After a little thought I think I'm going to agree with you guys. Allow people to take anything they want, be it vitamins, minerals, antibiotics etc. Let people pump their bodies full of whatever they want and natural selection will take it's course.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
ol' tom sez: [Re: Jellric]
    #4398969 - 07/13/05 07:09 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Vitamins and supplements to become prescription drugs? [Re: badchad]
    #4400416 - 07/13/05 03:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

From the Snopes article: "In 2004 almost one in five Americans (19%) reported using a supplement, which means the pool of folks at risk is great."

In other words, there is a great risk of lost profits for the pharmaceutical industry. This is a clever attempt by pharms to head off competition under the guise of public safety. This is the medical equivelent of Hitler saying the Poles are a threat as a pretext to invading Poland. First, manufacture a crisis situation; Then use power to appear to "rescue" the people. But their only real interest is money.

Hopefully people will see through this transparent power grab. The obsession with controlling nature marches on. Before you know it you will go in the forest to dig up some herbs and their will be little padlocks on them. :lol:

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Vitamins and supplements to become prescription drugs? [Re: zorbman]
    #4401166 - 07/13/05 06:56 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zorbman said:
From the Snopes article: "In 2004 almost one in five Americans (19%) reported using a supplement, which means the pool of folks at risk is great."

Thats an interesting quote but also consider:

If one in five americans are using a "supplement" they could be at an enormous risk. Most supplements and herbs are completely unregulated. There is minimal testing and safety data.

Have you seen the price of some of the natural herbs and remedies? I don't regularly shop but some of them are outrageously expensive. Particularly dietary and body building supplements. If these products don't have to undergo rigorous testing, that means the profit margin is very large as well. The money is going somewhere.

In light of these two points How come no one accuses "natural companies" of being money-hungry companies willing to make a profit at the expense of consumer health?

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Edited by badchad (07/13/05 06:58 PM)

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#4402044 - 07/14/05 12:19 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Have you seen the price of some of the natural herbs and remedies? I don't regularly shop but some of them are outrageously expensive.

Some, but not most. Most supplements are very reasonably priced.

And as far as profits, no one is screwing the consumer more than the pharmaceutical industry! Especially if you live in the United States. You will pay much more for the same drugs if you live here.

How come no one accuses "natural companies" of being money-hungry companies willing to make a profit at the expense of consumer health?

Of course there are unscrupulous individuals in the natural health field just as there are in everyday medicine. There just are a hell of a lot more of them in conventional medicine because of the enormous profit potential there.

They don't like their profits being eroded by sales of natural products and will go to great lengths to prevent this from happening. It is a war, and like all wars the first casuality is truth.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4402247 - 07/14/05 01:34 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Heard about this a few months ago. It's outrageous really.

This Snopes quote caught my eye though:
"Vitamins and minerals are not under the gun. Dietary supplements are."

So ummmm, how are vitamins and minerals not dietary supplements, exactly? If they supplement your diet, they're 'dietary supplements.'

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #4402308 - 07/14/05 02:00 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

But these "natural companies" aren't readily backed by government agencies. That's is the bad thing about the pharm companies in my opinion. They produce drugs that often have terrible side-effects and then the FDA approves them even with that knowledge. Then the FDA does little to regulate the over prescription of such drugs as Adderall and the SSRI's which usually do more damage than most supplements could ever cause.
It's the consumers responsibilty in the end to choose what they put in their body. With things like supplements, vitamins, and minerals it is pretty much essential to at least do a little research beforehand, otherwise the people that were to use them would never even find out about them. However, with pharms like adderall and the SSRI's the consumer is handed a potentially harmful chemical by a doctor who will likely only tell them dosage info, and MAY give them info on some of the more prominent side-effects. This method removes the whole research aspect from the equation, which means that if supplements are "scheduled", or whatever, people who would have been required to do at least some research will once again be given a substance that could be potentially harmful, and they will probably not even think twice about the repercussions because it was given to them by a doctor.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Vitamins and supplements to become prescription drugs? [Re: Twister]
    #4402328 - 07/14/05 02:13 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Speaking of SSRI's, I have a little story that may shed some light on what's behind this. About fifteen years ago I began taking a natural substance known as L-Tryptophan. It was a safe, effective sleep aid. And, like most natural products, very inexpensive. In addition to its effects upon insomnia, I also was pleasantly surprised to find that it helped with the depression I was experiencing at that time.

In 1989 the FDA recalled it due to ONE bad batch from Japan that was contaminated and caused a serious illness in some people. Fine. But once the problem was corrected, they didn't unrecall it.

On March 22, 1990, the FDA banned it altogether.

On March 26, 1990, "Newsweek" featured a lead article praising the virtues of the new anti-depressant drug, Prozac. The cover pictured a floating, gigantic green and white capsule of Prozac with the caption: "Prozac: A Breakthrough drug for Depression."(Both substances act upon serotonin).

Draw your own conclusions.

Notwithstanding its public ban and import alert on L-Tryptophan, the FDA today allows Ajinomoto U.S.A. the right to import from Japan human-use L- Tryptophan. Distributed from the Ajinomoto in Raleigh, North Carolina, the L- Tryptophan is then sold to, and through, a network of compounding pharmacies across the United States. Purchased by individuals only under a physician's order, L-Tryptophan emerges here as a new prescription drug in the serotonin marketplace; one hundred 500 mg. capsules cost about $75.00, approximately five times more than if they were sold as a dietary supplement.

Edited by Jellric (07/14/05 02:36 AM)

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4403276 - 07/14/05 11:30 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yup, it's absolutely ridiculous the prices they put on prescription drugs. I remember the craze a few years ago when people realized you could get some American prescription drugs as over-the-counter drugs from Canada for a fraction of the price. Same deal there. The last thing we want is pharmacueticals getting their hands on any over-the-counter stuff and turning it into prescription-only. It's bad for personal freedom and bad for your pocketbook.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4407758 - 07/15/05 01:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
If one in five americans are using a "supplement" they could be at an enormous risk.

Enormous risk? Please refrain from the fear mongering, or else come up with some facts that show the yearly death toll from supplements. Then, compare that with prescription drugs and doctor error. I am confident that you will not be able to show 'enormous risk.' I think the figures would show that doctor error and prescription drugs are a greater threat to life and well being and the pocket book.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineJTB22
Stranger
    #8025918 - 02/15/08 05:00 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I recently became awae of this. I heard it referred to as the "FDA's end game". It's horrible.

Link of interest: http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order