Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenavyseals101
Stranger
Male

Still air box
    #7994440 - 02/07/08 11:32 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Practically every jar I made doing G2G inside of my still air box has failed now and its dissapointing.

I'm wondering how long your supposed to let the lysol sit in the airbox before doing the G2G?

--------------------
"Ten thousand flowers in spring
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer,
snow in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things,
this is the best season of your life."
            -wumen

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: Still air box [Re: navyseals101]
    #7994476 - 02/07/08 11:45 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

lysol is a surface disinfectant, use oust or a product designed to kill airborne contams, or design it better to allow less contamed air volume in.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #7994481 - 02/07/08 11:48 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

When constructing a glove box, use pipe rings and push them through the arm holes, glue them tight to the plastic with silicone or some kind of super glue and then attach a pair of rubber cleaning gloves to them.

NEVER use your bare hands in a glove box.

Also, keep in mind while doing G2G's the spoon or whatever it is you use to scoop out from the master jar needs to be sprayed down in Lysol as well.

I put in the jars and then spray and close, also, I wipe down as much surface area with Lysol prior to the spray burst inside.... Always works fine for me man.

yes, Lysol is a surface sanitizer but in a confined space it will kill airborne contamination as well. i need to start giving shroomery some money too, maybe then we can be done with those who are still young to this great hobby.

--------------------

Edited by HybridprX (02/07/08 11:50 PM)

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: Still air box [Re: HybridprX]
    #7994485 - 02/07/08 11:50 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

HybridprX said:
When constructing a glove box, use pipe rings and push them through the arm holes, glue them tight to the plastic with silicone or some kind of super glue and then attach a pair of rubber cleaning gloves to them.

Sealed tight with pvc. Dont attatch gloves because then you cant flame your tools. Attatch tyvek sleves.

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #7994494 - 02/07/08 11:57 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I would hardly call that a failure on the box's part. You don't need Lysol or Oust. As stated, make sure the box truly does have tight seals so that air isn't sneaking in anywhere. Sanitize the inside of the box with diluted bleach spray or rubbing alcohol. Wear gloves and wipe them and any tools you are using down with alcohol too.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinedeadatdusk
Stranger
Male
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Still air box [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #7994496 - 02/07/08 11:57 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I was having a ton of contams, and then I upgraded my box to a better seal and there's been no problems. I use metal dryer vents siliconed directly to the inside of the box and I use yellow kitchen gloves that are NOT attached so I can flame the needle. I wash box w/ soap and water, add all utensils/jars, spray with lysol through one arm hole let it settle for a few minutes then start work. Flame with a homemade alcohol lamp, and wipe with alcohol once inside of the box.

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

#7994497 - 02/07/08 11:57 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Not to disagree with you legallyhomeless but the new guys here should know, NEVER flame sterilize anything inside a glove box unless you know your design vents properly.

Best way to go about sterilizing your tools is to wrap them in tinfoil and PC them with your substrate jars, open inside the glove box and give them a nice spray with Lysol..

once again, do not use a flame inside a glove box. Flow hoods are a different story..

P.S There is no point in flaming syringe tips when soaked in lysol :wink:

--------------------

Edited by HybridprX (02/08/08 12:00 AM)

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #7994500 - 02/07/08 11:59 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

legallyhomeless said:

Sealed tight with pvc. Dont attatch gloves because then you cant flame your tools. Attatch tyvek sleves.

Nice GB. I'm assuming you have plexiglass or something under the door to be able to see?

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #7994501 - 02/08/08 12:00 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

HybridprX said:
Best way to go about sterilizing your tools is to wrap them in tinfoil and PC them with your substrate jars, open inside the glove box and give them a nice spray with Lysol..

Why would you PC your tools, then spray them with Lysol?

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: Still air box [Re: FooMan]
    #7994504 - 02/08/08 12:01 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FooManShroom said:
Nice GB. I'm assuming you have plexiglass or something under the door to be able to see?

Plastic wrap for now until I cant find a nice way to attatch plaxi glass.

Also,
Quote:

HybridprX said:
Not to disagree with you legallyhomeless but the new guys here should know, NEVER flame sterilize anything inside a glove box unless you know your design vents properly.

I didnt mean dont attatch gloves because then you cant flame your tools IN YOUR BOX. I meant, you cant sterilize your tools because with gloves attatched, there is no steril way to put the tool into/backinto the glovebox.

You should sterilize your needle/scalple inbetween each session with a jar/petri.

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

#7994514 - 02/08/08 12:04 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Honestly guys, I rarley remember to sterilize the spoon prior to the G2G, I just spray it with lysol and toss it into the glove box then spray it down prior to the transfers, it may be harmful to the mycelium but I havnt had a contam to date.

--------------------

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

#7995073 - 02/08/08 07:16 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

i dont think its necessary to spray lysol on everything, especially if you are already in the process of doing a G2G, i simply soak a clean rag with 71% alcohol and wipe down everything i use, including the jars, spoon, gloves, arms, eye balls etc. i know lysol contains high levels of alcohol but it seems like spraying it during a G2G or even right before a G2G could be dangerous as it could likely get into your jars and cause some weirdness, with an alcohol rag you have much more direct control as to what you are sanitizing, and you don't have to worry about millions of tiny particles of lysol getting into your jars

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Re: Still air box [Re: shroober]
    #7995310 - 02/08/08 08:58 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Nope, it does not cause mutations :smile:

Normally, by the time I'm done doing the G2G's I do have some liquid pooling in the bottom of Glove box but normally I keep wiping it with a piece of polyfill to absorb any excess Lysol liquid.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures