Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | Next > | Last >
OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for October 15, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22384109 - 10/15/15 04:00 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I tried to calculate ROIC but the template I have uses language that doesn't match up with any reports I have.
Owner earnings divided by Invested Capital = roic

Owner earnings=
Operating profit:
+ depreciation
+ amortization of good will
- income tax ( paid at the company's average rate )
- cost of options
- income generated by unsustainable rates of return on pension funds ( greater than 6.5%)

Invested Capital=
Total assets
-cash (as well as short-term investments and non-interest bearing current liabilities)
+ past accounting charges that reduced investment capital

How do I transmute this?

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy
in waiting for my rebirth cycle i have hopes that when mushrooms find me it will occur then and i can go about the world as a medicine man
walking staff in one hand spaceship in the other
a journeyman of nature soon to be stepping up to novice hopefully i will have time to become an expert, and i believe only in death will i become a master

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for October 15, 2015 [Re: TravelerOfSorts]
    #22384136 - 10/15/15 04:05 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I've made the call to recieve nearly 1/4 of my mutual funds.
The stocks I'll buy are CMI DE CAT.
11-12 P/E with prices from 70$-108$ CMI costs the most but has higher YIELD as long as purchased before NOV 20. 2015. to be paid out DEC.1.2015
they are all picked up off the 52 week lows, reasonably and I see possible further purchases in this sector of a few shares it will be exciting to be receiving maybe a hundred bucks quarterly from before inside the ETF I received nothing but the value of the fund increasing. thanks.

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy
in waiting for my rebirth cycle i have hopes that when mushrooms find me it will occur then and i can go about the world as a medicine man
a journeyman of nature soon to be stepping up to novice hopefully i will have time to become an expert, and i believe only in death will i become a master

Edited by TravelerOfSorts (10/21/15 08:58 AM)

OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

#22412776 - 10/21/15 09:08 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

ahh crap I forgot they are american prices. buying with a weak dollar even at a good price is counter productive.
that said
Would buying Canadian work best? someone told me that enbridge has pref shares series 11 that are below 20$ that are usually 30+ and have fixed yield of 6%

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy

Edited by TravelerOfSorts (10/21/15 09:10 AM)

OfflineDiamonds808
New love formushies.
Female

#22447646 - 10/29/15 02:17 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I've always wanted to play around with a few thousand in the stock market but I'm so uneducated with all this!! Would it be worth it to find someone to "manage my money"?

InvisibleSun King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stock Update for October 15, 2015 [Re: Diamonds808]
    #22448337 - 10/29/15 08:42 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Diamonds808 said:
I've always wanted to play around with a few thousand in the stock market but I'm so uneducated with all this!! Would it be worth it to find someone to "manage my money"?

Only if you have lots of it.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #22448740 - 10/29/15 11:02 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

If you want exposure to the stock market and don't want to manage the money yourself, just buy the SPY, it's an ETF that tracks 500 of the largest US companies.  There are hundreds of other ETF's out there that can help you diversify your risk by spreading your assets over a basket of individual stocks, without having to buy each individual stock yourself.  I recommend the SPY because it is one of the most liquid ETF's that will give you diversified exposure to the world's most stable economy at this time.

Hiring a money manager typically isn't the best idea, because you will incur extra fees to pay the manager and most managers can't even beat the S&P 500, which is the index that the SPY tracks.  If you have millions of dollars to invest, that's when hiring a money manager begins to make more sense, because frankly, the best money managers out there won't take the time to answer your phone call if you're only throwing a few thousand dollars in their account (which makes sense when you consider that they have other clients who are providing them with tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in fee based commissions alone).

Quick note: AAPL's earnings came out earlier this week, they seem good and the stock technically is looking strong.  I am long January and March $100 calls, and day trading with weekly $119 calls that are smokin' hot but I'll probably be selling them here very soon and definitely won't hold them overnight since they expire tomorrow.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#22449022 - 10/29/15 12:27 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Diamonds808 said:

Get an ETF or buy some bonds.

Geokills recommendation is a good one. The historical return on the market is 12% and buying that ETF means you will just the get what the market gets.

Bonds have really easy calculations are are pretty safe. If you buy a 1000$ bond with a 70$ discount it means your getting a semiannual payment of 35$(*number of bonds owned)

and your getting a 7.5% return. Not bad and super safe.

The market is going have ups and downs and you’re going to have to have patience.

avoid anything less than <bbb

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Stock Update for November 2, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22465929 - 11/02/15 09:37 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Sold over half of my AAPL and NFLX positions for a tidy profit.  Keeping March 2016 $100 calls on NFLX and Jan 2016 $100's & a few Jan 2017 $110's on AAPL.

Initiated two new positions today in TRN and ESV.  Both are in a basing pattern, both have recently reported earnings, and both are trading above their pre-earnings price point just above their 50 day moving averages, making them look poised to continue breaking out (they were consolidating below their 50 day moving averages for the past many months).

Not too much else to say.  It's earnings season, a lot of energy companies are reporting this week, should be a bit more volatile but the market just continues to grind higher.  Don't want to be overly aggressive, and I'll be away from my desk quite a bit this month, so all the more reason to play it close to the vest.

PS.  CVX is also acting very well after it reported earnings last week.  Pretty decent dividend for the buy and hold folks.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Stock Update for November 2, 2015 [Re: geokills]
    #22466739 - 11/02/15 01:54 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Short QQQ @ 113.7 and NFLX @ 106.4.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

OfflineTravelerOfSorts
sober pro
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for November 2, 2015 [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #22478772 - 11/04/15 10:38 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Cummins (NYSE: CMI) declared a quarterly dividend of $0.975 per share, or $3.9 annualized.

The dividend will be payable on December 1, 2015, to stockholders of record on November 20, 2015, with an ex-dividend date of November 18, 2015.

The annual yield on the dividend is 3.5 percent.

practice accounts good because you can be a baller and afford stocks that actually make moves.

--------------------
a soul of solitude
but a master of ecstacy

Edited by TravelerOfSorts (11/04/15 10:44 PM)

OfflineAll We Perceive
Sea Cucumber
Male

Re: Stock Update for November 2, 2015 [Re: TravelerOfSorts] * 1
    #22478887 - 11/04/15 11:13 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Going to pick up 110 shares of ARO.  Currently at .83 and just broke out of the ascending triangle and just slipped above the 50MDA on decent volume.  In a seeming last ditch effort, Aeropastale is trying to gain a sizeable international presence which looks intriguing. 

Also going to pick up 100 shares of SUNE tomorrow with a re-up of 100 shares every 4 weeks until I have 500 shares.  Solar has gotten absolutely CRUSHED this year and with SUNE eating up everything in sight, it could really move.  Literally every analyst out there has a 12 month price target above the current level.  Hoping the stock gets crushed with the earnings announcement so I can pick it up on the cheap.  8 bucks seems to be the floor for this for now.

--------------------

"plus they atually think jambands are good or sumthing, so they clearly know absolutely nothing about music, clearly lol" -Bassfreak

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for November 2, 2015 [Re: All We Perceive]
    #22507932 - 11/11/15 03:29 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Dude SUNE is sketchy as hell
Quote:

SUNE
Return on Assets (ttm): -2.61%
Return on Equity (ttm): -40.35%
Total Debt/Equity (mrq): 255.24

Beta: 3.98

Total Assets 11,499,800 
Total Liabilities 11,266,900
Net Income (1,180,400)

"The net income has significantly decreased by 541.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$41.00 million to -$263.00 million."

Not only is their D/E 255%

they are 398% more volatile than the market and have reported negative income for over a year.
That company appears to be on the fast track to insolvency.

Good luck if you do decide to buy though.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for November 2, 2015 [Re: elax420]
    #22516797 - 11/13/15 05:14 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

elax420 said:
Dude SUNE is sketchy as hell
Quote:

SUNE
Return on Assets (ttm): -2.61%
Return on Equity (ttm): -40.35%
Total Debt/Equity (mrq): 255.24

Beta: 3.98

Total Assets 11,499,800 
Total Liabilities 11,266,900
Net Income (1,180,400)

"The net income has significantly decreased by 541.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$41.00 million to -$263.00 million."

Not only is their D/E 255%

they are 398% more volatile than the market and have reported negative income for over a year.
That company appears to be on the fast track to insolvency.

Good luck if you do decide to buy though.

I say it ends up at zero.

--------------------

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#22518293 - 11/13/15 02:15 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Agreed.

Really kicking myself for not buying amazon a year ago like i wanted to.

That company is fucking genius.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#22519593 - 11/13/15 07:14 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Short QQQ @ 113.7 and NFLX @ 106.4.

Bought QQQ back at 110.45 and NFLX at 104.3. 

I'll look to reshort NFLX, but taking a profit after watching that pig hit 115 this week tasted too good to pass up.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#22519609 - 11/13/15 07:18 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

elax420 said:
Agreed.

Really kicking myself for not buying amazon a year ago like i wanted to.

That company is fucking genius.

I came close to shorting it at 660 but said fuck it.  Too much mania over a bloated pig of a stock.  The other problem is the CEO seems to love money and they keep buying back stock and pumping it up in a short squeeze from hell.  When it does drop it's back to 450 for those who can wait it out...

--------------------

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

Re: Stock Update for November 2, 2015 [Re: LunarEclipse] * 1
    #22519737 - 11/13/15 07:46 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

AMZN?

I’m about investing not gambling. AMZN is only going to get larger in the long run. I dont see how you could lose money on them, especially if that drone delivery thing ends up working out. I dont think ild buy it right now because the price is pretty steep, but they have some great products (fire TV) and have become THE online marketplace.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#22521188 - 11/14/15 06:22 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

elax420 said:
AMZN?

I’m about investing not gambling. AMZN is only going to get larger in the long run. I dont see how you could lose money on them, especially if that drone delivery thing ends up working out. I dont think ild buy it right now because the price is pretty steep, but they have some great products (fire TV) and have become THE online marketplace.

Pretty steep price?

:winner:

"I don't see how you could lose money on them"

Famous last words.  They have basically never earned a profit.  They have the Netflix model of world domination just keep growing and eventually profit will just "happen".  Don't worry about income, we'll take care of that later.  You're an "investor" in what, the future?  A dream?

Come on.

Next you tell me stock buybacks benefit shareholders.

Amazon will see 400s before 800s.  Jeff Bozos and Reed Haystacks are pie in the sky dudes along with Elon Musky.

--------------------

Edited by LunarEclipse (11/14/15 06:26 AM)

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#22525935 - 11/15/15 12:58 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

My pops made a killing off both Netflix and Tesla.

Im rather new to the Market and Investing/Finance (I’m in my early 20s) so I’m bound to take losses like everyone does.

You make some valid points for sure. Their IS is pathetic. -241k in Profits after pulling ing 88 million in revenue. Why i said i dont see how you can lose money on them is, that they are innovative as fuck and are THE online marketplace and i dont see them losing that position.

That being said.

I belive we are heading into a bear market sooner rather than later and wouldn’t buy retailers or consumer goods (them especially) right now, but during the next economic downturn  i will.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#22526279 - 11/15/15 04:55 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

elax420 said:
My pops made a killing off both Netflix and Tesla.

Im rather new to the Market and Investing/Finance (I’m in my early 20s) so I’m bound to take losses like everyone does.

You make some valid points for sure. Their IS is pathetic. -241k in Profits after pulling ing 88 million in revenue. Why i said i dont see how you can lose money on them is, that they are innovative as fuck and are THE online marketplace and i dont see them losing that position.

That being said.

I belive we are heading into a bear market sooner rather than later and wouldn’t buy retailers or consumer goods (them especially) right now, but during the next economic downturn  i will.

I am impressed you are reading balance sheets and cash flow statements.  If you learn to look at a companies fundamentals in detail, it helps to understand what's going on under all that surface fluff.

I see AMZN a bit like WMT used to be, killing it.  Things change.  Profits eventually do matter and low prices have a limit.

High prices also have a limit, and in recent years folks seem incapable for the most part of understanding that limit.  ZIRP hasn't helped, nor has all these stock buybacks in terms of building this bubble up.

Ultimately once you have determined the fundamentals, I think ignoring them for the most part and focusing on technicals and charts is the way to go in terms of trading.  I mean, how can you value today in termes of stock price what AMZN "might" do and how well they might do it?  You can't.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder