Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

Maple Mandarin Wine/Mead/Hooch
    #7814970 - 12/30/07 07:35 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

well i heated about 2-3 cups of maple syrup
3-5 cups of white sugar
and two cups of pomegranate juice together on the stove

poured into this recycled carlo rossi wine jug, and added cool water to about the 2/3 mark, and added cold water til temps hit 60-70deg
then added my yeast starter.

i let that brew for about 5-8 days, and noticed the bubbles slowing to a halt. i then peeled about 8-10 mandarin oranges, and started tossing pieces in after i broke the skins on each piece a little bit.
as each piece hit the surface of the brew it started fizzing more and more. i then put in about 2 cups filled with white and brown sugar and about 2 tablespoons of molasses, dissolved into water.

a few days later (maybe 3 days? today anyways) i took this photo.
still brewing like crazy and loving the mandarins. the smells coming out the top reminds me of apricots.

the yeast im using is saccharomyces bayanus, or "red star - premier cuvee) yeast, supposedly the fastest, cleanest, and safest yeast with the least production of hydrogenates and urea. also tolerant to 18%!!!

this has been going for just over a week now, im gonna let it for for a full 30days or so, and play to rack off into another jug for drinking. i doubt i will let more than a bottle of this sit in storage for aging, since i have no access to campden tablets at the moment.

does anyone know of any other preservatives i could use to keep from making bottle bombs? i was gonna bottle it in a champagne bottle anyways, but for future reference i have family members allergic to sulfites and im not a fan of them myself.

i heard 14% alc preserves wine from other contaminants, and i plan to get this to AT LEAST 18% before drinking, but if theres something i could use to stop the yeast besides sulfites it would be very useful to me.

is there a way to synth potassium metabisulfite from potassium supplements?

anyway heres the pics

and yes im using a non-spermacide, non-lubricated, latex condom for my airlock. i was using a tube and 2liter with h202, but my sealant job kept messing up so i threw a condom on there and poked a hole through the top with a safety pin. seems to be doing just fine and smells real healthy.

is there anything else i should be adding to help it chug along? i hear black tea and citrus have a lot of nutrients that yeast loves, and i dont have access to nutrients like DAP right now.
should i add some super dense black tea?
i also dont have access to fresh grapes which i hear are the only fruit with a full spectrum of nutrients that yeast needs.

any tips would be helpful. ive made plenty of hooch in grapejuice and other things bought from the store, even ones with preservatives in them. just open the bottle, pour in the yeast, and slap a condom on the top, put in a dark cupboard and wait 30 days, rack off the dead yeast and enjoy, works everytime. but this is a new project for me and ide like to get something quality near 18%.

also dont have a hydrometer and no funds for one at the moment or i would supply gravity information.

--------------------
Hes simple, Hes dumb, Hes the pilot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

Re: Maple Mandarin Wine/Mead/Hooch [Re: eyefyndum]
    #7818750 - 01/01/08 12:00 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

well i just racked it into a second equally sized carboy. got a taste of it in the process, WOW!

very sweet, very bubbly.

i noticed the bubbles slowing to a halt again today, having digested most of the mandarins nearly white in color.

racked it back onto 4 apples all sliced to bits, they are pink lady apples.

im now eating the pieces of mandarin, OMFG! they are all puffy full of co2, and the insides are carbonated and alcoholic. my stomach is a bit uneasy when drinking this and eating these pieces, but then i burp and everythings fine.

tastes great!
cant wait!

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7822852 - 01/02/08 08:00 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

you should make a list of everything you've put into that jug, and tell me how many liters/or gallons that jug is.

i think your really close to screwing it up big time with 2 much sugar

make a neat list and ill calculate it for you

p.s. what will happen is the yeast will get smothered and stop growing...and with all that sugar in their something else will start growing :eek:

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Edited by makaveli8x8 (01/02/08 08:01 AM)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Maple Mandarin Wine/Mead/Hooch [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7822860 - 01/02/08 08:05 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

oh and to avoid sulfates or w/e, firstly some yeasts actually produce sulfate!! so be careful there.

what some people do is make a dry wine, then add a little sugar and bottle, the yeast consume this and produce co2, which will carbonate and preserve the wine

this only works with dry wines however, it all has to be precisely measured, and you have to be 100% sure that the yeast ate all its food before doing this aka hydrometer is needed to do this.

p.s. lastly wines made like said above i imagine won't last as long as those which use sulfates, also a sweet wine will go bad sooner as well.

to bottle a sweet mead you need a hydrometer and exact recipe, and its still hard to do, sulfates is prob the only way.

--------------------

Edited by makaveli8x8 (01/02/08 08:09 AM)

Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

#7822977 - 01/02/08 09:32 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

1gallon carboy

in it since the beginning (and this is close i can get to exact)

2 cups maple syrup
3 cups white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons grandmas molasses
about 10 mandarin oranges
and 4 pink lady apples

and i stole about 2 -3 cups worth of liquid after racking off the primary. was a wonderful taste test.

and there IS something floating around in there that wasnt there before, but after doing some research its probably just protein globs and spent yeast. it could be bacteria but ive already ingested it and im fine, its probably nothing to worry about. my brew smells healthy and theres no odd tastes.

still, i drank about 3 cups of this stuff, and consumed a buncha fermented fruit from it, and the worst i got was a few burps.

when natives in the amazon make manioc beer, they just chew it up and spit it into a clay pot, the yeast which brews it is a natural yeast in your saliva that actually can make u very sick in large amounts, a different species than saccharomyces. candida i think? the natives drink 5 or 6 gallons of this brew everyday, per adult male.

anyways, i read that this type of yeast "saccharomyces bayanus" is good for high gravity brews and is tolerant to 18%. also the cleanest strain of yeast (in that it doesnt produce much hydrogen sulphide and urea) and most resistant to other contaminants.
some people even use it to kickstart stuck fermentation because its so hardy and can run on less nutrients and in harsher conditions.
i dont know if that makes a difference either.

still, i think weve come a long way from spitting roots in a jar and putting the lid on.

whatever information u can provide would be great.

http://www.brewery.org/brewery/library/SugAcid.html
good info i found on sugar and acid content of most fruits

--------------------

Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

#7822999 - 01/02/08 09:48 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Maple syrup
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 260 kcal 1090 kJ
Carbohydrates 67.09 g
- Sugars 59.53 g
- Dietary fiber 0 g
Fat 0.20 g
Protein 0 g
Thiamin (Vit. B1) 0.006 mg 0%
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.01 mg 1%
Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.03 mg 0%
Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.036 mg 1%
Vitamin B6 0.002 mg 0%
Folate (Vit. B9) 0 μg 0%
Vitamin C 0 mg 0%
Calcium 67 mg 7%
Iron 1.20 mg 10%
Magnesium 14 mg 4%
Phosphorus 2 mg 0%
Potassium 204 mg 4%
Zinc 4.16 mg 42%

--------------------

Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

#7823002 - 01/02/08 09:50 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

ugh and i forgot, 2 cups of pomegranate juice. not pure, its watered down and sweetened.

the water i used for the brew was tap water, not pasteurized just heated to dissolve the sugar.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7823898 - 01/02/08 02:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

looks like your somewhere around 13% so your fine, i thought you put 6 cups of sugar in reading the first post, i also calculated it wrong the first time which gave me a higher number.

if your wanting 18% add 2 more cups of sugar. if you add 3 cups it will put you at 20.44% but read below

however here is a trick to getting high alcohol levels, add a little bit and then let the yeast eat it (stops bubbling) then add a little more sugar...keep doing it like that. kinda like survival of the fittest, giving food to the strong guys but not so much to smother them.

you also asked about nutrients, raisins are what you should use, with all the fruit you been using you might not need them, but i always use em

--------------------

Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

#7824622 - 01/02/08 06:06 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

thanks thats good to know...

im shooting for at least 14%, as i hear this alcohol strength is a preservative in its own.

ive been doing exactly that - feeding it til the sugar is spent and then pitching in some more. i waited til the bubbles nearly stopped to throw in the oranges and molasses, and then they were almost white having been torn apart by the yeast and discolored from the co2 after a few days. as soon as i racked onto the apples it started bubbling heavily again. the co2 caused the peels of the apples to turn white!
im thinking of racking it off the apples again soon, they are heavely penetrated by the brew and started to brown a bit. this is a very awesome strain of yeast, the most vigorous ive ever had the pleasure to work with :smile:

--------------------

Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

#7825392 - 01/02/08 09:04 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

only a day later or so and the damn yeast ate clear through 4 apples!!!

they were mooshy and brown and pieces were flaking off onto the bottom so i racked it off them into the first carboy, which was cleaned well. both are 1gallon carlo rossi bottles.

now im eating the apples, and wow.
im getting fairly buzzed!!!

by the burn of the apples i would say my brew is arond 9%, if not better. probably 9% tho based on drinking various alc% wines in the past. no way to tell with out a hygrometer tho, eh?

would it be bad practice to add 2 cups of sugar straight to the bottle? i could easily dissolve it into some water tho, theres about 1/3 of the bottle missing after racking the fruit and testing it on the first rack. the bubbles seemed to have nearly dissapeared. though theres still a bit of pressure in there, i just dont see them surfacing.

i dont have 2 cups white sugar, could i add a cup white and a 1/2 cup brown?

still a very cloudy mixture here, hoping it will settle out in the next week or two, as i plan to drink this within the next few weeks if i dont extend the fermentation.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7826411 - 01/03/08 03:32 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

i use lalvin yeast, they have some strains that go to 21% i think

with the hydrometer you pop it in the jug before fermentation and it gives you a spesific gravity ( ea. 1.100) then as it ferments you keep testing it and that number will go down as the yeast eats (ea. 1.010)

1.000 is water

their are formulas where you take your starting number and finishing number and you can find your achol % or close to it anyway.

there is also a nice little calculater ill post at the end you can use to get a "rough" idea what your achol % is, which is what i used earlier. The calculator is not very accurate but gives a good idea.

also bear in mind, when you rack its going to throw all your co2 out of the liquid, aka it will bubble for a few hours after racking.

if it were me i wouldn't add all that sugar at one time, i would just put half a cup in every day or two along with 5-10 raisens each time.

when you remove the fruit and rack your going to be left with even less, i soppose i would disolve that sugar in a 1/4 water when you add each time to make up for it.

to make it clear, put it in the fridge for a week then rack it.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7826416 - 01/03/08 03:33 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#7826921 - 01/03/08 10:13 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds pretty tasty :awesome:

If I were you I'd put some of that in the Wok Still and knock it up to about 45% ABV/90 proof, and then sweeten it with honey, lets say take 900ml of the distillate and sweeten with 100ml honey to get a liter of a sweet fruity liqueur of about 40% ABV/80 proof.

That ties the loose ends of bottle bombs and preservation.

I see you'd like a pure brewed product mainly but if you make more, definitely try making Mandarin Moonshine with it, if only a liter.

Let it sit for a few months in the dark to develop bouquet and drink up :laugh:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

Re: Maple Mandarin Wine/Mead/Hooch [Re: Asante]
    #7827287 - 01/03/08 12:36 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

good idea wiccan, however i dont think ill be distilling.

thanks for the idea though.

funny thing is, i dont have a wok.

i do however have a copper distilling piece and fitted tubing

i use it for essential oils only tho, and usually attach it to the vent on a pressure cooker with silver sodder.
:smile:

--------------------

Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

#7840439 - 01/06/08 05:02 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

wow. ok.

must have been around 12% because this bottle started to settle, it was clearing on the top 3/4, so i syphoned off the top clear part and drank it.

ive never been so wasted off 1wk of fermentation!

this yeast is incredibly fast! ive only used champagne yeasts in the past and they were a lot dryer but much slower. this was still very fruity and a bit sweet, but very alcoholic at the same time. secondary wasnt really needed except to pull off of the fruits.

right now im starting two new batches.

one has 1cup brown sugar
2 cups dried cranberries
the peels of 2 mandarins
3 cups 100% pomegranate juice
3 cups of triple strength black tea
and a light mix of cinnamon and cloves

it was started yesterday and by last night was at a full bubble!

the other batch is a 1/2gallon jug of martinellis 100% apple cider, i just popped the lid off, poured a cup for myself to leave room at the top(damn tastey), threw in about 16grams of raisins, and poured in a half packet of saccharomyces bayanus. i started it about 2 hours ago and already the airlock is filling up with air.

we will see how these fair. im waiting for the last 1/4 of the other brew to settle and then ill drink it and set aside the bottle for racking the other ones later on.

i cant believe this yeast is so fast!

--------------------

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

#7842094 - 01/07/08 12:36 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I can't wait to make mead! Maple syrup? Damn! sounds delicious....

You make your own essential oils? interesting. Do you notice a big difference between your own and commercially produced?

Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

Re: Maple Mandarin Wine/Mead/Hooch [Re: fazdazzle]
    #7842371 - 01/07/08 05:44 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

yeah maple syrup... good shit! make sure its 100% the real deal, and organic preferably.

i read on many sites that maple syrup fermented tasted a lot like rocket fuel or something, however that may be with the dryer yeasts. cause this last brew still had a lot of maple flavor in it.
it is GOOD!

nothing like honey wines though, you just cant beat high quality honey. maple syrup is much cheaper, high in sugar, and im a poor bastard, so it takes its place just fine for the time being.

i forgot to add that to the last brew list with the cranberries, it also had 2 cups of maple syrup.
i heated the maple syrup on the stove and stir in all the other ingredients and then funneled into the carboy and added cold water all the way to the top. ill get some pics of it today its a very beautiful colored brew.

yeah distilling your own oils is fun and much like the real deal of distilling moonshine. i have not really noticed a difference between my oils and ones u get at a store, they truly turn out quality as quality after 2 runs usually. sometimes u can get a very good product on the first run.

i had recently heard that the top selling oil on the market right now was cucumber oil at like 23$ per 4 fluid oz's.
so i am planning a huge distilling party for this next summer when cucumbers are at their peak.
i tried distilling a few and the oil is very smooth and rich, good for the skin obviously and would make a very good base for massage oils or a lotion. its not very pleasantly aromatic tho and i tried burning some, yuck.
still, essential oils are fun to mess around with, fun to make, and theres endless possibilities for a lot of them.

i suggest you start brewing your own wines and distilling your own oils, its a blast!
next i have to start incorporating both, by flavoring the wines with the oils! make i can make a recipe and wiccan can distill it and let us know how it is :awesome:

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7842637 - 01/07/08 08:32 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

i made two .5 gallon batches today in them glass apple juice containers.

here's my recipe right now

jar 1:
2 cups unsweetened Black cherry juice
2 handfuls of dark chocolate chunks
2 handfuls raisins
1 pound clover honey
1 cup water ( which brought me to 1/2, or close to where the bottle curves)
lalvin 71b-1122 yeast

jar 2:
12 oz homebrew vanilla cream soda (This the real deal with Bourbon vanilla in it, will add another bottle later)
1 pound clover honey
2 handfuls raisins
1&1/2 cup water (brings to about 1/2 the jar again)
Lalvin D47

I put a rubber stopped with a hole in each bottle and then pc'ed them, brought to 15psi then immediately turned off stove and let cool for 1hr.

I then took them out and they were still hot so i let them finish cooling in front of my flowhood(1.5 more hour), after which I pitched the yeast and put airlocks on.

Just thought you might enjoy my recipes or my procedure, ill let you know how it turns out

p.s. I can't believe how long it took to cool, i think my flowhood started to overheat:eek:

--------------------

Edited by makaveli8x8 (01/07/08 08:33 AM)

Offlineeyefyndum
Stranger

#7843285 - 01/07/08 11:57 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

ive heard good stuff about 71B being fast, and good stuff about D47 preserving the flavors well.

you pc your brew? are you worried about carmelizing the sugars? i think sugar carmelizes at 300deg.

the black cherry chocolate sounds delicious!!!

what type of water do you use? i heard not to use distilled water, or even filtered water, as tap water contains a lot of nutrients.
ive even read that even if u supplement the yeast with additional nutrients such as DAP and acid blends, the yeast wont have all that it needs unless you use tap water.

thanks again for posting your recipes and procedure, im curious and interested in what others are doing as ive only been doing this a few years, and fairly simply recipes and procedures nothing special.

on a second note, my apple juice jug is ROARING, i can hear it bubbling from across the room, its GOING NUTS, its literally making a roaring sound.
my cranberry brew on the other hand is bubbling slow and steady like usual. both grape juice and apple juice seem to be FAST fermenters, the yeast tear them up!

and thanks for the advice on adding raisins, i never thought!
duh, dried grapes!
DUH!

arrrr

thanks again, the brews loving em and been going stronger since i added them.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7843438 - 01/07/08 12:58 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

ive had one or 2 batches that just didn't taste right to me and i think it was partly contamination.

So these are actually the first 2 batches i have pc'ed.  Basicly im looking at it from an LC point of view.  With LC's you pc at 15psi for 15-30 minutes.

I was a little worried about carmelization and thats why i turned the heat off right when i reached 15psi (250 degree's)

I wanted to melt the chocolate anyways, and also get the honey thinner(just sits at the bottom in all my previous attempts even with lots of shaking, until eaten of course:tongue:), so it was win win.

I just used tap water, I heard good well water or bottle water is better (but not a must have).

Straight honey/mead are really slow to ferment,  think it has to do with the type of sugar, and ph

you know as i was reading about your apple juice just now, the picture of a condom on the top making a roaring sound has me :rofl2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale