Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebeastie
Stranger
mycelium is growing really, really slow.
    #7628488 - 11/12/07 11:33 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

so i inoculated 10 jars maybe almost two months ago. the mycelium has been growing very slowly and not so steadily, but its still growing. its been a lot longer than i thought the average time for them to be done. most of them are only around 40-50% done. does anyone know what might be wrong, or anything i can do to speed this up. btw the strain is B+ and i heard they were suppose to take a little longer, but i did not expect it to take this long at all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecroptop30
Stranger
Re: mycelium is growing really, really slow. [Re: beastie]
    #7628511 - 11/12/07 11:43 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know it you are, but are you taping up the holes on the jar? If so remove the tape. I always tape my holes to keep the water out during the pressure cooking part but never took off the tape and had the same problem for a long time. Some times they would grow somewhat normal but other times it would take hella days. Anyway typically what happens is when you tape the holes there is not enough air exchange. The vemiculite layer is all you need, that is your filter. So leave open and it will happen alot quicker. Other factoring questions would be how big are your jars, how much of the syringe are you inculating with, are they some place cold or room temperature? Hopefully that helps you a little!

OfflineGroomies
Ghost
 User Gallery

Re: mycelium is growing really, really slow. [Re: croptop30]
    #7628591 - 11/13/07 12:25 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

whats your temp? mine stops growing when it to hot. and grows really really slow when its to cold. but mine were mexican cubes.

--------------------
:hotidea::hotidea::hotidea:

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: mycelium is growing really, really slow. [Re: Groomies]
    #7628967 - 11/13/07 05:40 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

a cube is a cube, they are grow in teh same conditions

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: mycelium is growing really, really slow. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7628985 - 11/13/07 05:54 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I recently grew out a culture of a b+ isolate I had. It was the longest cultivator I've ever seen. It took over 20 days to colonize the rye grains, 18 for the substrate and so on and so on. 72 days from initial inoculation to first fruits; never a sign of contamination, always very rhizomorphic growth.

I just happened upon a very poor performing single-sector isolation. With multispore it's even more of a pot-shot over which of the thousands upon thousands of genetically compatible sub-strains within your spore solution will end up consolidating control over the spawn medium/substrate.

Don't fuss with it, don't try to fix it, if you have a slow colonizing substrain all the fucking with it in the world won't speed it up and you'll only introduce more contaminate vectors each time...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: mycelium is growing really, really slow. [Re: mycocurious]
    #7629203 - 11/13/07 07:43 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The biggest causes of slow mycelium growth are a too wet substrate, and not enough gas exchange. Make sure the holes on your jars are open. If your substrate is too wet, there's not much you can do except fix it on the next batch.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: mycelium is growing really, really slow. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7629526 - 11/13/07 09:36 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
The biggest causes of slow mycelium growth are a too wet substrate, and not enough gas exchange. Make sure the holes on your jars are open. If your substrate is too wet, there's not much you can do except fix it on the next batch.
RR

+1 _don't fuss with it_

If you've made it too wet, too dry, not enough gas-exchange, too much gas-exchange, whatever the problem is...learn from the mistake but allow it to grow out. The surest way to turn a slow to colonize spawn into a contaminated spawn is by trying to amend some perceived mistake midway through the colonization.

*with the sole exception of remedies that do not involve breaching the sterile environment within the jar or involve incubation temps over 78(F). The warmer it is, the more likely any latent bacterial contaminates can awaken from their dormancy and begin colonizing themselves. Mycelium will colonize just fine at 72-75(F) temperatures while most bacterial contaminates remain dormant. If the mycelium colonizes over the dormant bacteria, it will kill it via it's own metabolites... the key word here is _dormant_ however.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale