Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!)
    #7576743 - 10/30/07 01:33 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Good evening :smile: Tonight we'll be making a delicious Honey Liqueur from readily available ingredients. It has a sweet, mild soothing taste, yet packs the punch of spirits of reasonable proof. It makes a nice aperitiv but the ingredients are such that you could also get slam-ass drunk on it without much of a price to pay the next morning.

Though there is no need to distill your own spirits I do recommend it cause it's a nice hobby and a liter of kitchen-distilled vodka strength 40% alcohol will only cost you $1 instead of the $10 you might pay in stores.

If you have a clean fermentation (Turbo Yeast) and good technique you can use single-distilled "stock alcohol" for this, as the mild yeasty taste a good Single X has will be easily put to bed by the flavor ingredients. If you object to the taste of your Single-X you should ofcourse fine or redistill it.

If you don't distill you can use cheap flavorless vodka or Everclear as your alcohol base. If all else fails, flavorless red label Smirnoff of 37.5% will do, but thats quite expensive.

On with the show!

Honey Liqueur
from 45-50% Single-X alcohol

600ml.....alcohol 45-55%
300ml.....(pure) apple juice
100ml.....(good) honey
250mg.....cinnamon powder

or:

Honey Liqueur
from 37.5-45% Vodka alcohol

700ml.....flavorless Vodka
200ml.....(pure) apple juice
100ml.....(good) honey

or:

Honey Liqueur
from 95% grain alcohol

300ml.....grain alcohol 95%
300ml.....water
300ml.....(pure) apple juice
100ml.....(good) honey

Measure out the watery alcohol, add a measure of honey and stir it until the honey is dissolved, pour it in your bottle (I prefer C*ca Cola PET plastic bottles for stock alcohol storage so that might do) and add most of the apple juice. Next add the cinnamon, shake well and add the rest of the apple juice to make 1 liter. Let this stand for at least half an hour and you're good. I prefer liqueurs with a bit of sediment (like the really expensive ones) but you can also let this stand for a few days and pour it through a coffee filter. Store your liqueur at room temperature or colder, in the dark. It's around 30% so it's a non-perishable item.

The Honey will be the primary flavoring. Take a tasty honey, preferably "wild" honey with pollen in. Honey is heavy, to make 2.5 liters one would need about a pound of honey. If you like a clear liquid use clear honey, but it has to be said that honey with pollen usually is best in flavor, and healthiest.

The Apple juice has to be pure juice, whats sold as apple juice often is half juice, half sugar water or worse still: with synthetic aromas added to give the illusion of apples. If its pure juice and you like to drink it, it's good to go.

The Cinnamon from a spice rack is good enough, if you bought yours many moons ago do yourself a favor and buy a new packet :smile: You could use a piece of cinnamon instead of powder, but that takes a longer time to impart its flavor.

It seems silly to give these flavor advices but the stores are packed to the brim with foodstuffs that don't really taste great, if you stop and really consciously taste them. The degree to which your individual ingredients are tasty has a bearing on the palatability of the outcome. If your ingredients are "passable", that will be the quality of your liqueur as well.

This liqueur is tasty without the cinnamon, but the small dash of it is just enough to accentuate the two flavors and bridge them, resulting in a fuller flavor. You won't get a cinnamon-tasting liqueur by using 0.25gr/liter, its a background ingredient at most. If you like a good part of cinnamon flavor you could use 0.5-1 gram/liter, but then this would put your honey more to the background. If you want to cheat like they do commercially, you use cheap honey and add more cinnamon to cover that up. If you want to be a sellout you replace half the (cheap) honey with sugar :mad:

If you want to dot the I then I recommend you add 5ml pharmaceutical grade glycerin per liter. It's a bit artificial (how would glycerin that naturally occurs in fat and oils end up in liqueur) but this addition is routinely done to most alcoholic beverages, even quality wines, because it greatly enhances the mouth-feel of the beverage. Make sure to only use pharmaceutical grade glycerin, the one intended for internal use.

There: with 15 minutes of kitchen work and a half hour maceration period you've created a delicious Honey liqueur.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (01/03/08 10:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: Asante]
    #7588209 - 11/02/07 03:05 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

reading this made my mouth water.  I was looking for something to do today, thanks man! :laugh:

:hippie:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: Quoiyaien]
    #7596087 - 11/04/07 07:59 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, glad to help, tell me how it was OK :smile:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: Asante]
    #7618165 - 11/10/07 10:35 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Wow! Thank you for this recipe!

This stuff rarely makes it out this way, and we did not know it was this easy to make! I whipped up a batch just this morning. It taste great!

Thanks again

Edited by FlusH (11/10/07 11:25 AM)

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #7620388 - 11/10/07 09:34 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Is this more or less what is referred to as "mead"?

I'm not familiar with mead at all, but they sound relatively similar?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7621629 - 11/11/07 11:06 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Is this more or less what is referred to as "mead"?

I'm not familiar with mead at all, but they sound relatively similar?

Mead is made by actually fermenting the honey itself rather than simply flavouring pre-distilled spirits.

:hippie:

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: Quoiyaien]
    #7622261 - 11/11/07 02:38 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Ah, thats interesting.

I know next to nothing about mead, and was curious.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineTurntableJunky
Ethno Grower
Male

Loc: Sydney
Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7622511 - 11/11/07 03:55 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Damn mead must be fattening as hell.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: TurntableJunky]
    #7622807 - 11/11/07 05:29 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Not really... mcdonalds is fattening as hell... mead is just.. mead

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Up North
Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: Shroomism]
    #7623030 - 11/11/07 06:30 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It's so damn good, wow, thanks W_S

InvisibleSFsorrow
Is Born
Male User Gallery

Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: Adom]
    #7623459 - 11/11/07 08:35 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Damn that sounds good; I am going to make a batch of that next weekend. Thanks a lot for the recipe.

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: SFsorrow]
    #7623477 - 11/11/07 08:38 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

so is this mead? or what makes this different then mead?

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: snoot]
    #7623643 - 11/11/07 09:21 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You should scroll up like, 4 responses.

--------------------

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
    #7623771 - 11/11/07 09:48 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
You should scroll up like, 4 responses.

:rofl:

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Making a delicious Honey Liqueur (easy! no distilling required!) [Re: Adom]
    #7826979 - 01/03/08 10:34 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

It's so damn good, wow

I've been getting good responses on this one all around. My father's second wife particularly loved it so I showed her how to do it and they left with a good 2-liter bottle of the stuff made right in front of them :smile:

The recipy came to me when I was meditating, it's interesting to spend a good deal of a hypnotic trance mixing up intangible ingredients to find the right proportions :smile: All ingredients come together in proportions popular in other types of beverages and booze, as viewed from all sides.

I'm glad you guys like it too :smile2:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder