Home | Community | Message Board

DaVinci Vaporizer
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOphanim
The Molecule'sSpirit
Male

What does mycelium look like when at its very earliest formations?
    #7613245 - 11/09/07 01:23 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I'm on my first grow. I PC'd, wore gloves and used a glove box and all. The only flaw in my preperation process was that the closed glove box made my alcohol lamp flame reach all the way up to the top (it was extremely tall), so I had to open the flap a little bit. The entire area was still isolated and sterilized, so it seems unlikely that a problem happened as a result of bad prep.

Anyway, I don't have a digital camera, but I don't think it would show up very well in an average quality picture anyway - Specifically at each inoculation site, there are little wisps growing. I can't tell if they're mycelium, but they're growing in spots throughout the area where the syringe water ran down the sides of the jars. They might be white if they were denser, but right now they just look sort of off-white because they're so whispy. They seem to be just in the verm and not on the glass.

Should I be concerned? I've seen pics of mycelium in early stages, but only once it had already reached the "four large white blobs" point.

My room temp is between 76-83 (my thermostat sucks substantial ass, there is no way to set it in between), so my incubator is just a large tupperware container. I sterilized it with alcohol when I first put the jars in there and have opened it only to check on the progress. But again - the growth is only at the inoculation sites, so it doesn't look as though something could have just fallen in.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAkamatsu
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: What does mycelium look like when at its very earliest formations? [Re: Ophanim]
    #7613282 - 11/09/07 01:38 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds fine to me, but time will tell.

In future I wouldn't recommend putting your alcohol lamp inside your glove box, but other then that your procedure sounds great.

OfflineOphanim
The Molecule'sSpirit
Male

Re: What does mycelium look like when at its very earliest formations? [Re: Akamatsu]
    #7614316 - 11/09/07 11:54 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

That makes sense, since the lamp didn't seem to like being IN the box very much. The flame was almost twice its height.

I'm even more worried this morning. It looks like the "mycelium" is spreading over the entirety of the jar in that faint, whispy pattern instead of becoming concentrated in any one area. I'm more inclined to think it's a contam at this point. Google image comparison of myc and cobweb makes me think that all 12 of my jars took on cobweb right at the inoc sites. Should I be suspicious of my syringes? I'm not going to rag on a sponsor prematurely, but the sponsor I purchased from is highly reputable - I would be surprised if there were any contamination from the syringe.

Edit: It looks a lot like this image, which seems to have originated from shroomery:

This is a quote from where I found that image:
Quote:

Now the shroomery states this is cobweb mold growing in the Verm barrier of a PF type jar. Just one problem... Most of my jars look exactly like this when I birth them... And what I have is not cobweb, it's thin fuzzy mycelia running the verm barrier like a casing. When scraping the verm layer down prior to knocking the cake free, the thin fuzzy mycelia gets thicker and more ropy until you scrape the verm right down to the top of the cake. Tain't cobweb. Straw Beds Spawned with these cakes show no evidence of cobweb infection, and if cobweb was in there it would leap across a straw bed lickity split.

Another difference I notice personally is that the stuff in that image seems to be "clinging" to the glass, where whatever is in my jars is sticking to the substrate at the moment.

Edited by Ophanim (11/09/07 12:10 PM)

OfflineOphanim
The Molecule'sSpirit
Male

Re: What does mycelium look like when at its very earliest formations? [Re: Ophanim]
    #7614761 - 11/09/07 01:24 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quick update - I checked through all my jars and they're all pretty much at the same ambiguous stage except one - And this little bugger has distinct and unmistakable mycelium in it at all four innoc sites!

I'm extremely relieved. The stuff in there looks the same as the stuff in all the other jars, but just in case, I went ahead and isolated that jar in its own sterilized tupperware home.

OfflineAkamatsu
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #7616410 - 11/09/07 08:52 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Good to hear at least one jar has made it through.

From my understanding, cobweb mould is quite a rare contamination in jars.  It can be difficult to differentiate from mycelium until you've seen the 2 side by side, but once you have it's unmistakable.  It's darker, almost grey in colour, has a distinctive cobweb texture and colonises much, much faster (a couple of days is all it takes to completely colonise a jar).

If you followed the PF tek to the letter, used a glove box, flame sterilised your needle and used a decent layer of dry verm on the top of your jars, then it's extremely unlikely what you have is cobweb mould. :thumbup:

OfflineOphanim
The Molecule'sSpirit
Male

Re: What does mycelium look like when at its very earliest formations? [Re: Akamatsu]
    #7618062 - 11/10/07 11:56 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks, I think it was indeed a false alarm. It actually did appear silghtly greyer and less structured than myc to begin with, and if I hadn't had one jar that really distinctly looked like myc, I would probably have considered it a loss.

Now a bunch of other jars are finally looking good and I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

In fact, they're actually colonizing pretty quickly. I'm getting pretty excited about the prospect of 12 good jars coming out of this. I'm going to dunk about half of the jars if they all turn out good, and about half of those I dunk I'm going to roll in sterilized dry verm. I'll post how it goes.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #7618229 - 11/10/07 12:56 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Mushroom mycelium in its earliest stages looks just like mold mycelium. It then thickens up as clamp connections form and the hyphae morph into dikaryotic mycelium. The picture above you posted with mycelium growing up and into the verm barrier doesn't even resemble cobweb mycelium(Dactylium), which is grey in color, as you can see below from my isolated strains of Dactylium.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

OfflineOphanim
The Molecule'sSpirit
Male

Re: What does mycelium look like when at its very earliest formations? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7618579 - 11/10/07 02:34 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks. That image has me slightly concerned again since to me it still looks fairly white, perhaps just a touch of grey. I'll see if I can get ahold of a digital camera over the next couple of days to snap some shots of my jars.

The weird thing now is that the one jar I isolated is still outgrowing the other jars by quite a lead.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum