Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Gypsum, Paul Stamets, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCaptain Cubensis
Bleeding HeartLiberal

100% Guaranteed Rye Grain Prep Tek
    #7479390 - 10/03/07 02:00 AM (7 years, 20 days ago)

Follow it to a tee, and ye shall succeed!

1) Put your RBs (rye berries) into a pot, fill with enough hot tap water to cover the grains, stir vigorously. There will be many "floaters" on the water's surface, these are useless and should be discarded, stir vigorously again, remove floating material as before, and repeat until there are NO MORE floaters, approximately 3-5 stirs.

2) Pour the dirty water out SLOWLY over your strainer, and get as much water drained off your RBs as you can. Pour the RBs back in to your pot, refill with hot tap water, and repeat as many times as it takes to get the drained water clear, expect about 3-5 rinse cycles. It isn't easy, fast, or ecologically conservative, but it will work.

3) Once the drained water is clear, and free of floating material and debris, put your RBs back in to the pot and add a tablespoon of gypsum
over the rye berries evenly and mix well, then fill the pot with hot tap water to about 2-3 inches above the grains, stir the rye and gypsum together well then cover and let the rye soak for at least 24 hours. My foaf's Canadian cousin said he has waited as long as 48 hours without sprouting, something you want to avoid. Germinated rye berries are not suitable.

4) When at least 24 hours have passed you can begin the post-soak rinse cycle, which of course is executed the same as above, repeated until the sour smelling fermented and dirty water (perfectly normal) is COMPLETELY rinsed away from your RBs. This usually takes about 3-5 rinses. When all of the dirty foul smelling water is gone, and you only smell rye berries, fill your pot with hot tap water to 3 inches above the RBs, place on stove and cover.

5) Boil for 10-20 minutes, then remove from heat source CAREFULLY and SAFELY drain away the BOILING water, SLOWLY as before over a strainer. You want to boil as long as you can without bursting ANY rye berries. If you find even one or two burst you boiled too long, but don't worry few burst berries won't ruin the batch, but it is not desirable at all. After the soak and boil your RBs will have doubled in volume, so plan on having a large enough strainer, and good OVEN MITTS. Drain away ALL the water and let the RBs steam off, when they look nearly dry, this is perfect, load up your jars/bags and proceed with EXTREME CAUTION to the sterilization phase.

Slightly dry grains will colonize faster than slightly wet ones.

Here is a great bulk substrate recipe accepted by most mycologists:

5 parts coir (Fine)
4 parts vermiculite (Medium)
1 part Gypsum (Fine)

Here is the standard casing recipe accepted by most mycologists:

5 Parts Peat (Fine)
4 Parts Vermiculite (Medium)
.5 Parts Gypsum (Fine)
.5 Parts Oyster Flour (Fine)

Casing Tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7479477&page=0&vc=1#Post7479477

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
Get 350lbs shipped to your door for only $100!
www.mycosupply.com
Online Organic Rye Berries
www.hydroponics.net/i/200002
The Cyclestat 4P, a great repeat cycle timer made in the USA.

Edited by Captain Cubensis (01/08/08 06:13 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFunkatron9000
Stealth Assassin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: Rye Berries for Dummies 100% Guaranteed Grain Jar Tek [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #7489351 - 10/05/07 07:36 PM (7 years, 18 days ago)

Same thing I do except for the "pre rinse" before the soak. also I found by mistake once that you can soak for 3 days and still use the grains, although I found that G2G is best for the over soaked berries.
Spores dont seem to take to well to these over soaked jars.

InvisibleThePyschonaut52
Stranger
Male

Re: Rye Berries for Dummies 100% Guaranteed Grain Jar Tek [Re: Funkatron9000]
    #7489524 - 10/05/07 08:48 PM (7 years, 18 days ago)

Nice try. Oh, no need for step two by the way(in my opinion/experience).

--------------------
"In god we trust..."

-I guess we're screwed.

Bleeding HeartLiberal

Re: Rye Berries for Dummies 100% Guaranteed Grain Jar Tek [Re: ThePyschonaut52]
    #7489741 - 10/05/07 09:53 PM (7 years, 18 days ago)

Step two drains away lots of bugs and bacteria and dirt, all things that will stick to or be absorbed by your grains as they soak.

Might not be 100% crucial, but it does ensure that your RBs are soaking in clean, as opposed to dirty, if not filthy water.

My foaf once had good success just filling jars with some water and RBs, and PCing them.

The grain was extremely clumpy, and the slowest ever to colonize, but once it did, many, many flushes rewarded his patience.

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
www.mycosupply.com

OfflineKCizzle
Egar Noob
Male

Loc: Vancouver, BC BABY!
Re: Rye Berries for Dummies 100% Guaranteed Grain Jar Tek [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #7505316 - 10/10/07 03:15 PM (7 years, 13 days ago)

This is very informative but wait with your Steps above I guess there is no PC'ing? I really like the sterility of PCing. My first two casings Were just Rye + Water in the jar then PC away and have just started fruiting but you are correct the colonization process took alot longer than I expected. Still colonized nicely tho. Is it safe to do all of this in open air where most kitchens are or should i do the final pour in my safe room?

Bleeding HeartLiberal

Re: Rye Berries for Dummies 100% Guaranteed Grain Jar Tek [Re: KCizzle]
    #7505341 - 10/10/07 03:20 PM (7 years, 13 days ago)

No, you misunderstood me, I end with load up your jars and proceed with extreme caution because I didn't think I needed to go into PCing versus boiling, versus fractal sterilization, etc...

My foaf HIGHLY recommends using a PC WITH EXTREME CAUTION.

They can be dangerous if not used safely and properly, so I don't go into it here, but my friend does indeed PC his jars.

Most agree that you have to PC, so it kind of goes without saying.

Sorry for the confusion.

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
www.mycosupply.com

OfflineKCizzle
Egar Noob
Male

Loc: Vancouver, BC BABY!
    #7505375 - 10/10/07 03:29 PM (7 years, 13 days ago)

aaaah gotcha. Thx for the clarification. A little wet behind the ears here still but I think i'm getting it. Yeah I'm a pretty cautious person to begin with so PC it is :thumbup:

Bleeding HeartLiberal

#7505388 - 10/10/07 03:32 PM (7 years, 13 days ago)

No worries, everyone has to start somewhere, and it's a lot easier when people are patient and kind.

I love you Canadians, really I do, if it was warmer up there, I would immigrate.

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
www.mycosupply.com

Bleeding HeartLiberal

#7545033 - 10/22/07 12:47 AM (7 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

KCizzle said:
aaaah gotcha. Thx for the clarification. A little wet behind the ears here still but I think i'm getting it. Yeah I'm a pretty cautious person to begin with so PC it is :thumbup:

So how is it going in BC?

OfflineRealNoWhereMan
Nobody
Male

Loc: Cali
Re: 100% Guaranteed Rye Grain Prep Tek [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #10027239 - 03/23/09 05:38 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

so where you say 10-20 minutes for boiling the berries, but over boiling is highly undesirable, what is a better time? is there a chance 20 minutes could over boil them, or is it just to tell people not to set it and forget it?

in your substrate recipe, why isnt rye berries in the ingredients? wasnt this post for a RB substrate? should they be mixed with what you suggested? i was thinking about using rye berries for substrate with vermiculite as casing.

thanks, sorry if there are any dumb questions in there.

--------------------
I stole from my little sister!
javascript:void(0)

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

Re: 100% Guaranteed Rye Grain Prep Tek [Re: RealNoWhereMan]
    #10027330 - 03/23/09 05:51 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

If it makes any difference I do wheat but when I boil I look at the kernels when they are boiling. As time goes by, I will take out a spoon full and inspect. Kernels that are hydrated to the point they need to be at, they will have a see through look to them, my terms:shrug:. Or they won't look as solid and they cruch easily between the fingers. Also don't forget to put a cup or two of coffee in with the water. Speeds up colonization ime.

--------------------

:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:AMU Q & A thread:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 100% Guaranteed Rye Grain Prep Tek [Re: mister] * 1
    #10027699 - 03/23/09 06:37 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

so where you say 10-20 minutes for boiling the berries, but over boiling is highly undesirable, what is a better time? is there a chance 20 minutes could over boil them, or is it just to tell people not to set it and forget it?

He was banned over a year ago, so won't be around to answer.  His first post is essentially a repeat of my grain tek, found here.

After the soak, you only really need to boil for a few minutes to get the grains hot, so that surface moisture will evaporate when you drain them through a strainer.  Most of the excess water will drain out the strainer, but the rest needs to be steamed off the surface by tossing the grains in the colander so they dry off completely.  When the grains are dry on the surface, load your jars.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

Offlinegaladar
PF Pimp

Loc: in a monotub!
Re: 100% Guaranteed Rye Grain Prep Tek [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10029738 - 03/23/09 11:45 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

just follow the old ass tek from the mushroom cultivator.
fahtster does it. so i have faith in it. and ive done it with no problems.

Quick prep Rye tek

--------------------

MUST READS!!!===>SHMUVBOX! WBS! COIR!

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: 100% Guaranteed Rye Grain Prep Tek [Re: galadar]
    #10029793 - 03/23/09 11:53 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Ive seen RR's rye grain tek and i know alot of people use it with great success.

It does seem like a rip off of RR;s akready proven method with some unnessesary steps added.

I have never tried rye grain, but from watching RR's vids, i would go with RR's. Not saying that this method doesnt work, but it just seems a hell of a lot more work to achieve the same results.

Also, the part about after teh boil seems just a tad iffy, since you want your grains to be dry on the outside everytime and that can be easily achieved by dumping your grains straight into a colinider after boiling and allowing the hot moisture to evaporate off. It makes sense to do it that way.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Gypsum, Paul Stamets, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation