Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

UK Liberty cap season - Please help
    #7422734 - 09/18/07 08:42 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, right I have gone out hunting for Liberty caps now about 5 times, each time we have hunted for a good 5 - 6 hours. Thing is i have done so much research this year about habitats of them and everything that i can't understand why were not finding them, we have searched south facing slopes, fields with sheep, fields with cows, fields with sheep and cows! fields with sedge grass and thistles and nothing seems to be working. I don't know but could it be the weather? Lately it has gone chilly, last night it was 5 degrees celsius and there were heavy showers yesterday. Is it still not wet enough?

Has anybody else had any luck with liberty caps in the midlands at the moment? I really don't want to miss the season because I'm looking in the wrong places etc.

Here are some pictures of the habitats we currently hunt for them on, could somebody maybe tell me if there is anything wrong with them?

Sheep graze this field:

We have also looked on many other fields, they are just examples, I would like to think that its just the weather but i want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong.

Thanks for any help.

--------------------
If we are here to figure out the meaning of life,
then isn't the meaning of life to find out why we are here?
Causing our existence to be pointless!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: mike3000]
    #7422922 - 09/18/07 10:03 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Beside the fact, that it is indeed a little early to go hunting for European actives (they need time to fruit, even if it was cold the last nights), it's not much of a deal if you don't find anything.
When I remember my early days of hunting I see weeks not finding ONE freakin' mushroom! Just be patient and keep looking. Sooner or later you will find them and if you did, it keeps getting better and better. You'll know what to look out for. Believe me: Success is a matter of time and patience!

Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: Fahkface]
    #7422949 - 09/18/07 10:13 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the support Fahkface, I'll be sure to try and keep morale levels up and give it another go in a week or so, hopefully weather conditions stay right. Damn this dry September! :mad:

--------------------

Offlinesolarhelix
good lad
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yorkshire
    #7423772 - 09/18/07 01:25 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The habitats you are looking at look fine to me mate. The trouble is the most perfect spots imaginable often produce nothing!... there is always an element of luck involved even if you know exactly what you are doing.

The good news is, once you find the prolific areas, they tend to produce year after year.

Also, i wouldn't worry that you haven't found anything so far because the time is not quite right yet..... i don't even start to look until the very end of september. October is the prime time in this country without question.

--------------------
You know what i'm talking about.

Invisibletinyclanger
Stranger
Female

Loc: UK
    #7423809 - 09/18/07 01:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm, i'm counting on next weekend.  looks like plenty of rain forecast for the rest of the week.  was finished with hunting and off back to uni with 500 shrooms this time last year.  so far this season, zilch.  annoying that september should be so dry after such a pathetic excuse for a summer...

try going back to the best fields when there's been some rain.  if you've done lots of research you might have found some good spots already (can't really tell from the photos, though some of them are maybe a bit exposed?  try closer to the edges of forest maybe?  i don't know, i'm certainly not an expert...)  last year i searched every day for a couple of weeks and was on the point of giving up, thinking it had been a long shot anyway, when i spotted a field across a valley and thought "well if they're not there, they won't be anywhere - looks perfect".  there weren't any there at first, but i went back a week later (had a bit of a superstitious moment - the shrooms were calling me! :wink:) and :thumbup: hundreds...

good luck anyways

Offlinescotsmushie
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: tinyclanger]
    #7424421 - 09/18/07 04:10 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Those areas look good to me, especially the first picture

Ive had more luck about 10m away from the fence, and i generally look just a bit out from where the fence is, for some reason i find them there... maybe its just superstition!

Good luck!

thse areas look pretty GOOD not just fine, I would say

Offlinelucymullen
Stranger
Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: scotsmushie]
    #7432441 - 09/20/07 01:48 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Started hunting for the first time in years and looking at new sites in my area of Lancs. So far nothing but as I remember from last time its to early but its getting colder and wetter so its fingers crossed. Will post up ASAP any finds.

Invisiblekaal-kopje
the season is upon us..

Loc: below sea level
Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: lucymullen]
    #7432718 - 09/20/07 02:50 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

My best spots have always been natural fields surrounded by forest or water (not farmland). Usually grazed by sheep and or (semi) wild horses. Almost always on sandy soil.
Big plus is that you are not tresspassing on somebody's land.

Google earth is your friend here :smile:

Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: kaal-kopje]
    #7433016 - 09/20/07 03:44 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for all the help people :laugh::D

--------------------

Offlineparalel
Stranger
    #8752620 - 08/10/08 11:44 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hi there, I am new to this site as a member (not as a reader)... just wanted to say that I found ONE, liberty cap today... unfortunately there wasn't a lot I could do with it, however was very pleased to actually find one after searching for about 2 hours.

With that, I wanted to ask if anyone else has found any liberty caps in the UK as yet, for 2008???

I have also one question about altitude... does it make a difference between 50m and 200m above sea-level? Where would it be more likely to find liberty caps? When people say that in high altitudes there are more liberty caps, what kind of altitude do they mean?

thanks...

Offlinechaos05
Stranger

Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: paralel]
    #8753020 - 08/10/08 01:03 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Where about are you located (wales?)

Offlineparalel
Stranger
Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: chaos05]
    #8753664 - 08/10/08 03:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I live in the south east.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8754373 - 08/10/08 05:42 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hi there, I am new to this site as a member (not as a reader)...

Hi, welcome!  Next time please make a new thread instead of bumping one from last year.

Quote:

just wanted to say that I found ONE, liberty cap today...

Are you sure?  Did you photograph it? 

I guess the season can start in Europe in late July.

Quote:

With that, I wanted to ask if anyone else has found any liberty caps in the UK as yet, for 2008???

I think you are the first person to report it.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
    #8754790 - 08/10/08 07:21 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

paralel said:
Hi there, I am new to this site as a member (not as a reader)... just wanted to say that I found ONE, liberty cap today... unfortunately there wasn't a lot I could do with it, however was very pleased to actually find one after searching for about 2 hours.

I have also one question about altitude... does it make a difference between 50m and 200m above sea-level? Where would it be more likely to find liberty caps? When people say that in high altitudes there are more liberty caps, what kind of altitude do they mean?

thanks...

woop woop, first uk lib enquiry i have seen this year :awesome:

basically you are way too early mate...
if you found a lib already then it must have been at really high altitude... you sure of your find?
i'm sceptical of your claim considering you are in the south east as that is just about the last area of the country where they will fruit...
i remember last season the southern hunters were turning up next to nothing right up until the first frosts.
i pick at high altitude, 300m - 400m above sea level (this means they will fruit earlier than low altitude)
and i don't even bother to go and look until the last week of september, and that is dependant on weather conditions also.
most of the literature you will read says to look from september onwards, but it is outdated... the climate is changing and in my experience there isn't much to be found during september...

search my old psilocybe semilanceata threads.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlineparalel
Stranger
Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8755165 - 08/10/08 08:42 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hi there...

Yes, I am sure it was one... on tall grass, sheltered by a tree from the sun, but not from the rain. The place had sheep last year, and the soil is dark brown to black, with a lot of decomposed tiny roots. The mushroom had long stem, which right at the end of it was wavy and had a pale green-blue colour. It also had a wet, rubbery like, transparent membrane, which glued to your skin. I put the cap into a small glass wit little water and dissolved the whole thing to bits, the spores sedimented at the bottom and were browny-purple in colour, (I threw the water on a nearby grass, figured it would be interesting if in a year or two I find libs there).

I usually photograph soemething like that, but didn't do it this time. I didn't want to open a new thread since then it would have been more appropriate to have a picture of the mushroom.

as for the elevation, it was 37m (just checked it on google earth).

P.s. you are what you eat, I have read a post in this forum saying that the earliest find of libs was 27 July (?), and I was searching based on this info. Plus, there has been a lot of rain coming over from the atlantic in the last few days, however, I think this was an extraordinary find, since I have searched 4-6 times, and been stung by wasps on the process (it isn't the pain of the sting, somehow you get used to it, but the viciousness and speed of the attack... somehow I end up walking into them without realising, and the next thing I know I am swearing and cursing and running scared... a full blown 'flight response' like nothing else, imagining 1000 wasps all over me and something tells me to run until they think "our home is quite safe now, lets go back"), and yet, I have found that only one.

thanks for the interest.

Offlineskidog
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8757056 - 08/11/08 06:25 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

yo yo, cant wait until the babies start fruiting this year after having no luck last year- but have moved home from uni and know a few spots where they will be poppin, been waiting almost to see u lurking about uarewotueat, felt bad cause last year you helped me with a few negative id's and I never said thanks, so although its 10 months late, thank u very much, lol,  hope to be using your services again come end of september,

p.s does the really wet summer we have had mean there will be an abundance liberty caps? just remember last year seemed like slim pickings

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: skidog]
    #8758870 - 08/11/08 03:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i can't figure it out myself, i think a relatively wet end to the summer helps but last years rain was just overkill... picking was hard work last year i agree.
then again the autumn of 2005 after a scorching dry summer yielded plenty for me... or was it 2004 when it was a booming summer...
anyway, i can't find any correlation between summer rain/drought and autumn shroomyness :shrug:

and yeah, you know i always lurk this forum around this time of year :vaped:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Invisiblekaal-kopje
the season is upon us..

Loc: below sea level
Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8761611 - 08/12/08 04:59 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

When i see the first finds from scandinavia and north eastern europe appearing on the hunting forum i know it won't be long before the uk , netherlands season kicks off :smile:

Edited by kaal-kopje (08/12/08 05:00 AM)

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: UK Liberty cap season - Please help [Re: kaal-kopje]
    #8761769 - 08/12/08 06:55 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:banana:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlinedirtystandards
Stranger

#9077337 - 10/14/08 05:48 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

the last week i have been picking about 200 liberty caps a day some times 1000 in Berkshire.
i had been looking for them for about 2 years and never found any, i heard they grew on this playing field nearby, so i went up there at the the end of September and there was not one mushroom. i waited till i see many individual small shrooms on short grass then went to have a look, it was the beginning of October and there they was many liberty caps growing there every day , they are hard to spot at first but if the suns out and they dry up slightly they kinda shine a nice golden colour and many more will be about, i wonder if the frost Will come soon and fuck it all up.  anyways i ate 50 of them and it was intense.

Edited by dirtystandards (10/14/08 05:55 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale