Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineXPYROMB
Stranger
Male
Loc: Calgary AB, Canada
Psychosis
    #7405538 - 09/13/07 08:25 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

I have some concerns about mushrooms because of a recent experience, and I'd like to see if anyone else has had similar experiences or seen this happen to anyone. I have a bit of experience with mushrooms, having tripped myself probably 20 or 30 times, and having experiences ranging from quite dull to full blown visuals, closed eye visuals, audio hallucinations, emotional introspection, and everything in between. My girlfriend on the other hand had never tried them and was interested, so at her request i obtained a small amount for her to try. We decided to play it safe and i started her at a dose probably close to half a gram, if not less, (I've dosed on up to around a quarter ounce at a time and been 'fine' but with her i decided to exercise due caution). Anyhow, after about an hour or 2 she wasn't feeling anything and i wasn't feeling much from the gram i had taken, so we decided to share a joint. This is when things started to go HORRIBLY wrong. Actually, thats a lie - things went well for a good half an hour, she started getting minor visuals, purple dots and whatnot, and i was feeling pretty good myself. As we were laying in her bed, she started freaking out. I mean FREAKING OUT - i can only describe what happened as multiple psychotic breaks. Now, i don't think that this was just a bad trip... I've had my share of bad trips and you can usually calm yourself down or get a hold of yourself to a certain point.... she would alternate between being 'normal' and completely freaking out... the switch was instantaneous... needless to say i was bloody freaked out but i stayed calm for the good 6 hours it took to get her to sleep and keep her... relatively calm. At one point we went to tim hortons to get a coffee and a doughnut, I left her in the car to go inside to get the goods as i didn't think she was in a state to deal with normal people (assuring her the whole time i would be right back with the cruller she wanted in mere moments). When i came back to the car 2 minutes later she was standing outside in her blanket looking completely lost and scared crying... 'where did you go?? where are we??'. Thats just ONE episode of maybe 30 or 40 that happened that night... and by no means the worst, just the easiest to relate in writing. So we talked about it the next day and she told me while she was tripping she felt like she was going insane... trapped was a word she used among many others... incredibly scared. We decided mushrooms were probably not for her and i kept my concerns that mushrooms can bring out latent psychosis to myself. A few weeks later we were at her place again and decided to smoke a joint... no shrooms, just weed. THE SAME THING HAPPENED. Well, to a bit of a lesser extent and not quite as long... but it scared the shit out of me again... i have never seen anyone react to weed that way and i was quite freaked out... again i managed to keep her somewhat calm for the duration. Later we decided drugs are just not for her (strange seeing as how she had a history with weed and a short history with ecstasy a few years back with no sign of these horrible effects). OK kiddies, this inst by far the worst of it. Another week passes and we are at MY place watching a movie.... no drugs... no alcohol.... just good clean fun... she reports the same symptoms. Again, to a lesser extent and for a shorter duration of time, and she was able to keep herself in control... but... wtf??? 'Flashbacks' i thought? I don't know, and honestly I'm starting to get freaked out about this... is my girlfriend insane or is she having a bad reaction to extreme emotional distress related to her 'bad trip'? has ANYONE seen this happen? Can ANYONE give some advice? I personally love mushrooms, they make me feel good about myself and help me work through personal problems, as well as being fun and recreational, but i am scared... honestly. Sorry for the long post...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejohnnyxtreme
Weed Mason

Loc: Mill Valley
Re: Psychosis [Re: XPYROMB]
    #7405609 - 09/13/07 08:37 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

I've read a lot of posts like this, and honestly I have now idea what it is.

Just remember, the enter button is your friend.

--------------------
"Dude, what do you want to do?"

"I dunno dude, I kinda just want to exist."

OfflineCompass
Ancient Light

Loc: The Border of Reality
Re: Psychosis [Re: johnnyxtreme]
    #7405640 - 09/13/07 08:42 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

It was the weed, not the mushrooms, and she's just having some flashbacks when she's put in the same situation as previously.

--------------------
nystagmus dopamine guru inverted pop culture love scars of sorrow fleshy synesthesia hippie farts perpetual tinnitus
Reclaim the Swastika!

OfflineXPYROMB
Stranger
Male
Loc: Calgary AB, Canada
Re: Psychosis [Re: Compass]
    #7405739 - 09/13/07 09:01 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

even when no drugs are involved?

OfflineCompass
Ancient Light

Loc: The Border of Reality
    #7405778 - 09/13/07 09:10 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, the right combination of factors combined with the freshness of the experience are provoking her mind into going into those same pathways.

If she doesn't want to have these flashbacks, then she should not use psychedelics (pot first and foremost) and try new activities that don't remind her of the experience. It just needs time.

Adverse effects to cannabis are more common than people who have used it successfully may realize.

I've had flashbacks from cannabis experiences, including feeling spaced out, empty, heavy, and with an impending sense of dread. If you don't indulge them or preoccupy yourself with them, fearing and fighting the experiences rather than working through them, they should subside in less than a month's time.

:catfrog:

--------------------
nystagmus dopamine guru inverted pop culture love scars of sorrow fleshy synesthesia hippie farts perpetual tinnitus
Reclaim the Swastika!

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
    #7405957 - 09/13/07 09:48 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Psychosis is an ambiguous term, at least nowadays. It doesn't mean anything specific anymore.

Marijuana: Pot at high doses can cause anxiety. From my experience, you can get so anxious that you start feeling nauseous. One weird theory I've always had is that it makes you so creative, that you're suddenly able to justify anything. A car pulling up in front of your house, or the cat moving away from the window become sure signs that you're going to go to jail or die.

The solution for this is to note your mindset and setting before smoking. If you have a kilo of heroin in the car, it probably isn't wise to smoke even if you know you're safe. After you are anxious, the best thing to do is to focus on the present moment. Be aware that when you're sober in a few hours, you're going to laugh at all the wacky ideas and thoughts you had believed 110% to be true. The solution ultimately is to learn how to 'let go' and accept your current situation. If you're not in any immediate danger, then your previous sober self should be trusted to have put you in a safe situation for the next few hours. Knowing this, you should be able to let go and just trust in yourself.

Mushrooms: On high doses, I noticed that one tends to get into a state of mind where they get very confused and cannot remember anything. Upon deeper inspection, I realized that the shrooms don't just put me in the present moment, they force me to stay there. Questions tend to make me very confused, no matter how simple they are. One simple question like "paper or plastic?" can start a chain reaction in my head in which I become very confused and wonder if my response is/was correct or appropriate. This eventually gets worse and I get so confused that I want somebody sober to answer every little detail (i.e., "When did I take shrooms?" "I'm OK right?" "What are we doing here exactly?" etc..).

I realized that even if you don't really understand the question or situation, it's really because you're thinking too much about it. Letting go and trusting your intuition help in this case. Focus on the present moment. A person in this state of mind will act and look very normal. They will probably talk slower than usual and become a nuisance because they will keep asking the same questions repeatedly. A trained sitter can fix this problem most of the time.

Before taking the shrooms, tell yourself "I'm going to trip for the next few hours. I have nothing to do, no worries of the cops knocking or anyone coming, and I might start forgetting things but that's OK because I know for a fact that I will be 100% normal afterwards." If you really mean this, write it down and read it during a bad trip and it should calm you down, knowing that your sober self was smart enough to plan the trip out and keep your current self safe.

Tips:

Don't take shrooms on an empty stomach, don't fast beforehand and don't do the lemon experiment or mix them with anything acidic.

Measure out your dosage and learn what dosage works for you. Take it slowly, preferably with a meal.

Don't smoke pot until after the peak. Smoke SLOWLY. One hit, wait 5 mins and then take more if you feel you have to.

Avoid tobacco unless you know you won't overdo it. Too much tobacco can make you feel physically sick and result in a very bad trip. It's easy to abuse nicotine on shrooms, in my experience.

Avoid alcohol until after the peak.

Eating carbs/fatty foods can help with the trip, but keep in mind that the food will not taste the same and the person's stomach might not be comfortable. Meal replacement powders or protein shakes are OK. Just water is better than nothing. Heavy foods (carbs and fat) tend to shed hours off the experience though. Use that before using a benzo.

Keep available sober people's #s around just in case. Call people who are experienced with psychedelics before the police, unless you're in a life threatening situation.

If your GF is in that situation, tell her that she looks fine and she's acting fine. Tell her that she's just being a little nervous and downplay her anxiety. Show her that you're there and fully in control. Have her believe that she's going to be OK and back to normal. Before she starts tripping, tell her to trust you 100% and just do what you tell her no questions asked. Later on if she's having a bad experience, tell her "remember I told you to just listen to me? sit down and relax. You'll be fine, you just need food (or whatever)."

You need to keep in mind that giving complex orders or asking complex questions will make her more anxious. If she can't answer a question like "what time did you take the shrooms?", she will feel like she's going crazy because she has no concept of time or because she doesn't know what shrooms are. DO NOT focus on the past. Have the person focus just on the present moment.

Also note that while tripping, people have an altered sense of time. To your GF sitting in the car, you were probably gone for weeks. I advise against leaving somebody in that state of mind alone, but on the other hand you can't make them feel psychotic or show any signs of worry.

The best advice is to BELIEVE that mushrooms don't cause psychosis. Neither does pot. They just don't. Accept these facts. The "psychosis" is just paranoia and fear. You are the one that makes it a problem by focusing on it.

After this happens, the person might always be uncomfortable about taking shrooms or pot, and that uncomfortable sensation in the back of their head that they might "freak out" again might trigger them to freak out again because they will start focusing on it. It's best to start her again at low doses on both drugs, working up, if she plans to get over the problem/use again.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience