Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineAlnico
Resident
Male User Gallery
Loc: PNW Canada
Re: Christianity + Buddhism [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #7223733 - 07/25/07 07:53 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Good stuff. That seems to be in agreement with how I think of it.

In any case I get most of my learnin from meditation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebadreligion2good
Uncertain
Male

#7226441 - 07/26/07 12:28 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Old English sounds like German practically, and is a dead language. I think you meant to say Elizabethian English. Which many people mistakingly refer to as Old English. Trivial I know.

--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Christianity + Buddhism [Re: badreligion2good]
    #7226492 - 07/26/07 12:38 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quite right. Correction acknowledged.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Christianity + Buddhism [Re: Alnico]
    #7226730 - 07/26/07 01:34 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Walking on water: If you believe you can do something great, it is possible, even if everyone around you believes it is not possible. All you must do is have faith in yourself. The minute you accept doubt, you will begin to sink like a rock.

This is the way the parables were meant to be understood. If a person says otherwise, they are confused. I try to honor and respect all people, but I won't entertain their confusion. In other words, don't judge the person, judge their beliefs.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Christianity + Buddhism [Re: Rahz]
    #7227291 - 07/26/07 04:25 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Christianity and Buddhism teach almost the same exact thing.

Jesus says you go to Heaven right here right Now. The church says otherwise.

"The Kingdom of God is within you."
"if your eye is single then your body will be full of light."
"Unless you are converted as children you cannot receive of the Kingdom."
"What a man reaps so shall he sow."
"He who lives by the sword dies by the sword."

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (07/26/07 04:25 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Christianity + Buddhism [Re: leery11]
    #7227455 - 07/26/07 05:11 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

"God gave his only begotten son. That whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

Don't forget that all time favorite.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Christianity + Buddhism [Re: Icelander]
    #7227735 - 07/26/07 07:12 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
"God gave his only begotten son. That whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

Don't forget that all time favorite.

Yes but who said that?
Christianity has the word Christ in it for a reason.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #7230059 - 07/27/07 10:47 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yes but who said any of it? It's not an auto biography you know.:lol:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #7230635 - 07/27/07 01:41 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Jesus discovered the "Self" that can be abstracted as the common ground for every individual "Self" that lives in a mortal body. It's essentially the same concept as the god Jehova aka "I am that I am" which is the god of Moses and the god that Jesus called "Father". In Advaita Vedanta the same thing is called "Atman".

Buddha discovered all that stuff too but he also had the insight to see that even the gods and the abstract self are subject to conditions that imply a finite existence for all beings.

All IMHO of course... the mushrooms told me all this before I destroyed the evidence.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Christianity + Buddhism [Re: Rhizoid]
    #7230713 - 07/27/07 02:06 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

"Buddha discovered all that stuff too but he also had the insight to see that even the gods and the abstract self are subject to conditions that imply a finite existence for all beings."

It seems that by the time Buddha arrived, the profound meaning for Atman had shrunken into the corrupt meaning of what was formally the 'Jivatman,' the 'conditioned soul,' or as we would say, 'ego.' So the Anatman/Anatta doctrine was aimed at the corruption of meaning, of a permanent, individual ego. The Sankya school, founded by Kapila, which goes back as far as 2000 B.C. taught that there are innumerable 'Purushas' in the sense of individual spirits or souls, NOT One Universal Purusha in the sense of Atman. It would seem that Buddha wished to annihilate THIS pluralistic understanding of Atman, not Purusha-Atman as the Universal Unconditional Absolute.

Just my two cents for readers in general.

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: Christianity + Buddhism [Re: Alnico]
    #7231288 - 07/27/07 04:54 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

There is a lot of overlap between Christianity and Buddhism as with all religions. Enlightenment and meditation is very similar to Christ's "Kingdom of God", and the figures of Jesus and Buddha are in themselves very similar.

It's a shame your parents have to be totally dogmatic in their beliefs and are giving you a hard time, but not all Christians are like that. All spirituality is just the same thing being seen from different perspectives and explained by different individuals in various cultures across the world. Most of the religious disputes we see are caused when aspects of spirituality are translated into different terms to make them accessible to the populus of any given culture. People then get outraged that there are other groups with a different system trying to explain the wonder and mystery of existence.

Quote:

I believe there may have been a Jesus who who had a significant role in teaching spirituality in human history, but do all Christians believe that you will go to hell, unless you worship the Christian "God"?

Certainly not. That's a completely ridiculous belief and one only held by a minority of self righteous fools. Unfortunately for the world, this minority is far larger than one might expect, but it's still a far cry away from representing the majority view of Christians.

I believe there is an infinite spiritual light resonating throughout our universe and beyond it, and it really makes me sad that people constantly argue and even kill one another over pointless details like the religion one chooses to follow. Essentially, all religions are just different paths (and not the only ones, at that) to the same realms of enlightenment, oneness and spirituality. Quibbling about which is best is totally pointless, and it seems to me your parents need a slap in the face with a frozen sword fish.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Christianity + Buddhism [Re: badreligion2good]
    #7232031 - 07/27/07 09:17 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

badreligion2good said:
Did you even bother to read the actual body of his post or anybody else's post? He wasn't asking if it was ok to combine the two belief systems. No one was.

You should at least read what markthegnostic said. It might do you some good. Perhaps you'll begin to think for yourself.

Perhaps you'll consider sending these type of off-topic responses to the intended user through private messages in the future. :strokebeard:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #7233216 - 07/28/07 10:01 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
It would seem that Buddha wished to annihilate THIS pluralistic understanding of Atman, not Purusha-Atman as the Universal Unconditional Absolute.

Interesting. But as I understand it, early buddhism equated the "unconditioned absolute" with Nirvana aka extinction. This resonates with my personal views also. Mahayana buddhism introduced the Tathagatagarbha (the buddha matrix) idea much later, and the Tathagatagarbha seems to me very much like a conditioned thing even though mahayanists claim it's not.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Christianity + Buddhism [Re: Rhizoid]
    #7233839 - 07/28/07 01:58 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

You may be correct. I do not think historically so much as conceptually. Nirvana often translated as 'extinction,' seems to mean extinction of desire, all of which relates to the world of form. Mind rests in its own formless nature without any grasping, which is to say, total acceptance of the moment -quiescence and acquiescence to the here and now.

So, should I take your word for the Tathagatagarba, or should I rely on D.T. Suzuki's definition? :grin:

Thanks for responding.

Peace.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale