Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA]
    #7208672 - 07/22/07 12:24 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Mushroom discovery surprises cops
July 22, 2007 - vindy.com

SHARON, Pa. — Though mushrooms can often be found growing wild, what Sharon police officers found last month in a Meek Street home was a whole different story.

Nearly 100 Mason jars and blue plastic storage totes inside were cultivating hallucinogenic mushrooms. They are illegal in this country and are considered in the same class of drugs as LSD.

"We've run into a few people who've taken them before, but never growing them," said Sharon Police Chief Mike Menster. "The whole house was filled with these containers and Mason jars."

The mushrooms are so rare that police didn't know what they were at first. They had to call in a special unit of the Pennsylvania State Police to help identify them.

Though the state police could identify the drugs, a 22-year veteran of the vice squad, which covers a five-county region, including Mercer County, said he's never run across them before they were found in this Sharon home.

Cpl. Tim Wiles, supervisor of the Butler-based unit, said the only similar drug he has run across in his career is peyote, a hallucinogen produced from cactuses usually found in the desert.

But peyote was not widely used here and usually found only when the rock band Grateful Dead was touring in the region, he said.

Because the hallucinogenic mushrooms are so uncommon, neither law enforcement agency could place a value on what officers discovered in the Meek Street home.

The owner of the Meek Street home is free on $10,000 bond and is awaiting trial in Mercer County Common Pleas Court.

What the drug is

The National Drug Intelligence Center, a division of the U.S. Department of Justice, classifies "magic mushrooms" as psilocybin mushrooms, a hallucinogen indigenous to tropical and subtropical regions of South America, Mexico and the United States.

While they can grow wild in some tropical areas, hallucinogenic mushrooms grown in this region must be specially cultivated with mold spores and other ingredients. They also require special temperature control.

They are ingested orally by users and can be eaten fresh or dried. Some are brewed as tea or added to other foods to mask their bitter flavor.

Popular at raves, clubs and on college campuses, they are generally used by teenagers and young adults, according to the National Drug Intelligence Center.

But, the NDIC says it's difficult to gauge the extent of mushrooms' use in this country.

Studying the effects

One study by the University of Michigan revealed that 9.2 percent of high school seniors in the United States used hallucinogens other than LSD — a category that includes magic mushrooms — at least once in their life. And 2 percent used hallucinogens other than LSD in the past month, according to those studied.

Roland Griffiths, a researcher and professor at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, conducted a government-funded study in 2006 on the effects of psilocybin — the hallucinogenic ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms.

Thirty-six volunteers were given psilocybin in a controlled laboratory, and the effects of the drug were then observed.

According to the study, the effects ranged from severe anxiety and fear to what some participants described as mystical experiences.

Psilocybin has been used for centuries in a sacred or religious context in Mexico and South America, Griffiths said last week.

He noted that he is not an advocate for or against the use of such hallucinogenic drugs, but his purpose was to study the effects.

The study notes that these types of drugs, while labeled in the government's most restrictive category under illegal drugs, are not considered to be "drugs of addiction" because they do not produce compulsive drug-seeking behavior as do drugs such as cocaine, heroin and alcohol.

The study adds that most recreational users of these hallucinogenic drugs decrease or stop use over time.

The study stresses the volunteers were carefully screened and the amount of psilocybin was carefully monitored.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: veggie]
    #7208911 - 07/22/07 01:54 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

"mold spores"

:shake:

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlineemit
Trippy 70'sSci-Fi Movie
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my place ;)
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: Brainiac]
    #7209024 - 07/22/07 03:03 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

damn ...cops :sigh:

--------------------
yes...

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

#7209053 - 07/22/07 03:39 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

"According to the study, the effects ranged from severe anxiety and fear to what some participants described as mystical experiences."

goddamn that bit was so fucking watered down.
Did they fail to mention that it changed a lot of those 36 people's lives? For the better? Threir families even noted they had become better pepole?

fucking propaganda

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado
    #7209150 - 07/22/07 05:41 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

"Out on bail"- who was it? 'fess up...

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
    #7209240 - 07/22/07 06:58 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

This is one of the most non-bias drug bust articles I've read in awhile. Before you say "fuck the cops," wait to find out how the dude got busted. Maybe it was his fault?

Offlineemit
Trippy 70'sSci-Fi Movie
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my place ;)
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: Quake3]
    #7209277 - 07/22/07 07:20 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Quake3 said:
Maybe it was his fault?

possibly

--------------------
yes...

Offlineusefulidiot13
Dark Passenger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Death From Above
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: emit]
    #7209535 - 07/22/07 09:34 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

still sucks though...think of all those poor mushrooms...they will never get the chance to change lives in the hands of pigs

--------------------
What Would Dexter Do?

Offlineangryatbreakfast
Viking
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: usefulidiot13]
    #7210029 - 07/22/07 12:54 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

This article was full of so many awesome quotes:

• The mushrooms are so rare that police didn't know what they were at first. They had to call in a special unit of the Pennsylvania State Police to help identify them.

• But peyote was not widely used here and usually found only when the rock band Grateful Dead was touring in the region, he said.

Awesome

--------------------
"Is marijuana addictive? Yes, in the sense that most of the really pleasant things in life are worth endlessly repeating." -Richard Neville

Offlinelipan
Magi
 User Gallery
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: angryatbreakfast]
    #7211354 - 07/22/07 07:46 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

angryatbreakfast said:
This article was full of so many awesome quotes:

• The mushrooms are so rare that police didn't know what they were at first. They had to call in a special unit of the Pennsylvania State Police to help identify them.

• But peyote was not widely used here and usually found only when the rock band Grateful Dead was touring in the region, he said.

Awesome

lol

--------------------
Feel free to forget all that I am saying, for the instant these clumsy words spill out of my mouth, they transform into complete lies.

OfflineJive turkey
a black midget shemale
Male User Gallery

#7211480 - 07/22/07 08:13 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Cpl. Tim Wiles, supervisor of the Butler-based unit, said the only similar drug he has run across in his career is peyote, a hallucinogen produced from cactuses usually found in the desert.

and this whole time I thought peyote was it's own plant and mescaline was the hallucinogen produced in peyote and cacti. lol

tim wiles is an idiot

OfflineDiscipleofGarcia
Traveller on theroad to Zion
Male

Loc: Pepperland
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: Jive turkey]
    #7211665 - 07/22/07 08:56 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Its funny to me how people other than the fuzz seem to know much more about drugs than they do. I mean you would think that they would have to know at least something about drugs since they are illegal and cops deal with illegal matters and substances.
Quote:

:nonono:

--------------------
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace.

Offline4ZUR35C3N5
Stranger

Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: DiscipleofGarcia]
    #7212038 - 07/22/07 10:10 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

* The mushrooms are so rare that police didn't know what they were at first. They had to call in a special unit of the Pennsylvania State Police to help identify them.

magic mushrooms....rare???

Offline4ZUR35C3N5
Stranger

Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: 4ZUR35C3N5]
    #7212046 - 07/22/07 10:12 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

my buddy and me were blazing in a park once and some cops rolled up and they found a plastic broken pen casing in his backpack and seemed very convinced it was a "crack pipe"...theyr fucking idiots

Offlinemomoneyinthebank
Stranger
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: 4ZUR35C3N5]
    #7212887 - 07/23/07 03:15 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

yeah man cops are the biggest dumbasses when it comes to drugs..

i once had a cop come in and talk to class in high school

he claimed an ounce of marijuana would be about two cigarette sized joints"

OfflineI2ancid
josh hartnett,movie star actor
 User Gallery

Loc: psycholand
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: momoneyinthebank]
    #7213085 - 07/23/07 07:25 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

momoneyinthebank said:

They're called "doobies" here in jamaica... where you from? baby-ville?!

--------------------
I went to st thomas and camped out ontop of the island... Despite my entire family being poor all my life, the land is priceless.
I was chased by haitians in the main city charlotte amalie when my girlfriend and I got some cocaine for free in a bar and mixed it with alcohol, to form a stronger drug. With such confidence at 2am, we walked the 4-5 or so miles down to the beach where the african slaves lie like lions waiting on tourist prey.

The war isen't on drugs... the war is on the causes that influence people to abuse drugs. drug-abuse is a by-product of the system and much like radioactive waste occurs from utilizing nuclear power, drug addicts with drug-problems will need to be properly disposed of, like the decaying radioactive waste produced from nuclear energy. -i2ancid

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: I2ancid]
    #7218151 - 07/24/07 01:24 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I2ancid said:
Quote:

momoneyinthebank said:

They're called "doobies" here in jamaica... where you from? baby-ville?!

Haha

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinearchetype
Stranger
Male

Loc: Missouri
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #7642576 - 11/16/07 12:26 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

In my experience, cops have no idea about mushrooms and are even mystified by them themselves.  I live in a relatively small town of about 14,000 and i was busted with an 8th bag of some good mushrooms and was tripping off of another 8th at the time of arrest.  The police were actually interested in me because they had never seen anyone tripping or really ran across mushrooms.  They called in like 5 other cars to come look at them and i'm pretty sure my bag actually got pinched by them (not like i care lol).  They were all saying stuff like," Wow, this is the kind of stuff you only read about in like magazines and stuff.  These are really magic mushrooms!"  The whole time i was sitting in the cop car frying my balls off and they were equally as interested in that.  They turned on some Boston for me and the lights fucked with me hard.  They also took sick pleasure in flashing their flashlight at me and making me look away cause i was scared of it.

Pigs are stupid and suck.  I wish i had those mushrooms he lost, cause i'd eat em all right now and go on a month-long journey. :laugh:

--------------------

All keystrokes performed on this user's account are completely random and are not to be taken seriously.

Offlinearchetype
Stranger
Male

Loc: Missouri
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: momoneyinthebank]
    #7642586 - 11/16/07 12:29 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

momoneyinthebank said:

I'll sell you an oz. :laugh: rofl

Lol sorry for double post but i couldn't resist.

Edit: I don't know about you guys, but i sure am glad that we have educated people who know lots about drugs and their dangers like these genius  officers and legislators making decisions on what we are allowed to do with our bodies and consciousness.

--------------------

All keystrokes performed on this user's account are completely random and are not to be taken seriously.

Edited by archetype (11/16/07 12:33 AM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Re: Mushroom discovery surprises cops [PA] [Re: archetype]
    #7642866 - 11/16/07 02:43 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hallucinogenic mushrooms grown in this region must be specially cultivated with mold spores and other ingredients.

Seriously.... Where the hell are they getting their info from?? Just some kids who were friends of the growers? Or perhaps a horrible misinterpretation on the part of the interviewer??

Holy crap, that is DUMB.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract