Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics)
    #7122247 - 07/02/07 11:36 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My friend was wondering if these jars look like early stages of colonization? They've been sitting for about 2 weeks and really haven't developed. He is trying to keep the temps around 80 (but has been hard). He did everything else right...he used a glovebox, sterilized needles between jars, boiled for 90 mins, getting good FAE, etc. Whatcha think?

--------------------
Everything I say is either hypothetical or a lie. Assume that nothing I say is true, except what I am saying right now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

Loc: 8a
Re: does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics) [Re: freemynd]
    #7122380 - 07/03/07 12:01 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

trash 'em.

If the color is realistically depicted in those pics, it's contammed to hell-- that should be snow-white, not brown.

Sorry bro.

--------------------
I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination--  John Keats

Spore Trading List

OfflineJonnyOneNut
Sponge
Male

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics) [Re: coAsTal]
    #7122497 - 07/03/07 12:18 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

bad news... they're definitely contaminated.
This is what you want... Nice bright white.

--------------------
:regularshroom:BABY BOTTLE LC TEK:regularshroom:
Fix it or accept it, but do not stress about it.

OfflineLVL12
Author andPerfector ofFailure
 User Gallery

Re: does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics) [Re: JonnyOneNut]
    #7122512 - 07/03/07 12:21 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I dont think its contaminated, i think the brown you see is his riceflour. It looks oversaturated though, did you cover them well when boiling? How much water did you use? The Faint whiteish stuff growing is probably the beginning of myc growth, its probably a 50/50 issue on if they'll ever fully colonize, This happened to me, and i see it over the boards all the time here from beginners, too much moisture in the BRF cake.

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Re: does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics) [Re: LVL12]
    #7122616 - 07/03/07 12:47 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

LVL12 said:
I dont think its contaminated, i think the brown you see is his riceflour. It looks oversaturated though, did you cover them well when boiling? How much water did you use? The Faint whiteish stuff growing is probably the beginning of myc growth, its probably a 50/50 issue on if they'll ever fully colonize, This happened to me, and i see it over the boards all the time here from beginners, too much moisture in the BRF cake.

I agree with LVL12. I don't see a bit of contamination. If it's been that long since inoculation, you might want to question the source of the syringe. IME by now, you should have seen SOMETHING! Either Mycelium or Contamination. The fact that I see neither one leans toward the idea that you inoculated while the temps were too high or you had bunk syringes. Even if the jars were over saturated with water, that would play into some type of contam.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

InvisibleSubGen1us

Re: does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics) *DELETED* [Re: freemynd]
    #7122761 - 07/03/07 01:34 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by SubGen1us

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics) [Re: SubGen1us]
    #7122853 - 07/03/07 02:21 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Looks a bit like bacterial bloom to me. If that is the case it would be a good explanation to why you haven't seen myc yet as well. Kinda hard to tell from the pics tho. Take a big wiff through the inoc holes, Bacterial bloom usually smells like dirty socks.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics) [Re: Primate]
    #7122861 - 07/03/07 02:25 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

wait 5 days then post another pic and see if we can tell if they are contamed.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

#7122873 - 07/03/07 02:31 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Primate said:
Looks a bit like bacterial bloom to me. If that is the case it would be a good explanation to why you haven't seen myc yet as well. Kinda hard to tell from the pics tho. Take a big wiff through the inoc holes, Bacterial bloom usually smells like dirty socks.

-Prim

I'd actually avoid sniffing things that are thought to be contaminated, if you get up close and snuff its spores into your nose, thats just not a happy idea.

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7122882 - 07/03/07 02:33 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

lol there are only a few molds that can actually harm your lungs/sinuses .It just makes you sneeze or cough for a few days a small smell isnt that bad.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics) [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7122891 - 07/03/07 02:38 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

besides. bacteria has no spores(and i see no sign of mold.) i wasn't suggesting he snort them. Just takes a small sniff.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

#7122909 - 07/03/07 02:51 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Eh? To each their own, I personally try to avoid smelling stuff, but i also wash my hands after i use the bathroom, so i'm on the excessive side of germ avoidance

--------------------

OfflineFellowGrower
Fungal Freedom Fighter
 User Gallery

#7123050 - 07/03/07 05:03 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I see you. Biting my "Talk in third person" Idea.

Its cool though, everybody should.
lol

--------------------

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

Re: does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics) [Re: FellowGrower]
    #7123203 - 07/03/07 07:17 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Well, thanks for the input guys. He doesn't know what it could be. He bought his spores from a trusted vendor (recommended from this site). The even worse part is, he's got 5 more jars that look the EXACT same...made up from a different syringe. To answer some of the questions that were asked:

• Yes, he covered them when boiling. He pre-drilled 4 holes in the lids, covered them with tape, and then put foil over them with a rubberband wrapped tightly. He put a few drops of green food coloring in his water to make sure none got in the jars. None did.

• His jars were put up on two rows of lids (taken from RRs video). The water level was just below the bottom of the jar. He boiled for 90 minutes. He did, of course, have to fill the pan up a couple times.

• He let his jars sit for a full 24 hours before inoculation. He flame sterilized the syringe between each jar and inoculated right through the tape, inside of a glovebox. He then peeled the tape off of 5 jars and just left the tape holes open on the other 5.

• He then moved his jars to a closet where he tried to keep the temps around 80 (although his A/C broke and brought up the temp to the mid 80s one day). Since it's been so hot, he's been freezing a big jug of water and setting them next to the jars to keep them cool during the day.

Is it possible the got 2 bad syringes? Would Sporeworks send him replacements (even though they were for microscopy use only (B+))? Is there anything else you guys can think of? He's pretty bummed out. Thanks.

--------------------
Everything I say is either hypothetical or a lie. Assume that nothing I say is true, except what I am saying right now.

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

#7123227 - 07/03/07 07:43 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

He also wanted to mention that when he was inoculating he wore rubber gloves and rubbed rubbing alcohol all over them. While he didn't have any wrist sleeves, he thinks they shouldn't be necessary.

--------------------

InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

Loc: 8a
    #7123736 - 07/03/07 11:04 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Your environmental conditions are a far liklier source of contamination than the syringes-- FAR likelier... but I guess there has been a bad syringe out there before too.

If it's contams, you introduced them somehow.

Quote:

His jars were put up on two rows of lids (taken from RRs video). The water level was just below the bottom of the jar. He boiled for 90 minutes. He did, of course, have to fill the pan up a couple times.

If I had to guess, I'd bet this is where you failed-- I don't see above-water jars, using that un-pressurized steam heat bringing the core of those jars to sterilizing temps-- sounds like a possibility...

--------------------
I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination--  John Keats

Spore Trading List

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

Re: does this look like early stages of mycelium? (pics) [Re: coAsTal]
    #7124027 - 07/03/07 12:15 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Did you leave the jars directly on the bottom of the pan when boiling (not using a rag or extra lids or something to elevate them) maybe you burned your jars,

they'll probably colonize, they just might take alot longer without optimal conditions, that or perhaps you have a strain that doesn't take too kindly to the BRF. I know one strain i have took 3 1/2 weeks to fully colonize the BRF, but was one of the faster colonizers on my WBS.

--------------------

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

#7124093 - 07/03/07 12:27 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

The strain he is using is B+, which should be pretty easy to grow. I think I know where he messed up. When sterilizing the jars, he tightened them really tight, covered the holes with tape, AND put foil over them with rubberbands. So (from what he's been reading) he maybe tightened them too tight and no air could get out, thus not sterilizing the inside. He did prop the jars up and didn't leave them on the bottom of the pan. From what he has been told, he should NOT have taped the holes, NOT screwed the lid on tight, and just covered with foil (no rubberbands). Then, cook for 90 mins, and afterwards, tighten the lid (with foil still on), let sit overnight and then inoculate. Does this sound like it could've caused a problem?

--------------------

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

#7124196 - 07/03/07 12:47 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

No i don't think thats the problem, I think 90 minutes is a little on the long side for boiling, but it probably doesnt make too much a difference, the too tight jars may be a but losening them now should probably assist in that, and the tap over the holes should probably be removed,

However even if its not getting much FAE it should at least have some growth. Which it looks to me like you might be getting the beginnings of some growth, and the pics don't look contamed to me.

--------------------

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

#7124238 - 07/03/07 12:57 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Well, the tape was removed AFTER inoculation. He is now being told that he should've never put the tape on to begin with. I think for his next batch he will cook them with lids on loose, no tape, and a layer of foil without rubberbands.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag