Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegrowingup
Bloody Newbie
Male
Loc: Australia
newbie needs help with contaminants - has pics
    #7105442 - 06/28/07 10:41 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

below are some pics of contamination from my first ever attempt at growing mushrooms. i have used the MEA solution in petri dishes as a medium. 12 dishes were inoculated and 6 were contaminated with 3 types of fungus all of which occured in seperate dishes. below are some pics. none of the dishes have a pungent smell. none of the dishes possesed more than one contaminate though one dish did show what i think is 2 forms of the same fungus. anyway any help on this would be muchly appreciated as i am about as new as you can get to all this.

thanks again
Aaron's dog

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado
Re: newbie needs help with contaminants - has pics [Re: growingup]
    #7105573 - 06/28/07 11:12 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Nice pics!

So, what's your question? Are those contaminated? Yes, I'd say so.

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Offlinegrowingup
Bloody Newbie
Male
Re: newbie needs help with contaminants - has pics [Re: Dr_T]
    #7105919 - 06/29/07 12:57 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

hahaha. yeah Dr T i know they're contaminated :P. i guess my question got lost after stuffin around tryin to get pics up and retyping a few times.
but the q was what are these contaminants. are they dangerous. are the cultures safe to use. what can be done to combat the specific contaminants present. i have done my research and believe them to be (in order of pic) cinnamin mould, green mould and pink mould. i am uncertain about the cinnamin mould as i'm lead to believe it mainly occurs in compost and substrates like vermiculite not agar. also the pink mould has thrown me as it has appeared as both a film and dots. hence the 2 pics of the pink stuff. and as for green mould well we've all seen a mouldy loaf of bread so that was easy :P
anyway thanks in advance and any identification or info as always would be extremely appreciated
Aaron's dog

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
    #7106148 - 06/29/07 03:07 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

You're in dire need of a still air box.

--------------------

Living on a no-Flash diet is way easier than you think. Give it a shot.

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7106478 - 06/29/07 08:30 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I don't know what the contams are, but if you got six good plates, just use those. :smile:

If you wanted to save some of those cultures, the basic idea is to slice out a part of the good mycelium, and move it to a fresh plate, to see if  you can isolate it. This is useful if you are working with a spore print taken in the wild, for example.

But if you just want to grow some mushrooms, why bother? Take one of your good plates, and use that as your master culture. And like Bachus said, you need a still air box and/or better technique.

But six good plates on your first try- I'd call that a success!

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Offlinegrowingup
Bloody Newbie
Male

#7108580 - 06/29/07 08:22 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

well as it turns out i only have 4 good plates. i used one to inoculate some jars and the other 3 were used to make some syringes. used a 'good' section out of one dish to have a go at liquid cultures and buried the others in the garden to see if they survive till season.
i'm just curious about what i've grown here. i crave knowledge unfortunately and whilst most people would be happy knowing they have viable cultures i am not (well not entirely).
any opinions on these would be appreciated. regardles of being right or wrong it will give me somewhere to start some research. so people step right up and guess what the newbie has grown
ps a glove box with a homestyle hepa filter is underway and will be ready for the next batch so hopefully this will be a thing of the past. BUT i must know what i have here lol

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7108703 - 06/29/07 08:57 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Paul Stamets' cultivation book has a section on contaminants. And I'm sure there are a million resources online- but most of the folks here probably only care about them not being in with the mycelium...

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: newbie needs help with contaminants - has pics [Re: Dr_T]
    #7109396 - 06/29/07 11:21 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

You want to make a series of transfers of the healthy mycelium to new plates until you have pure cultures. Make the first transfers within a day or two after germination. Transfer each and every growth to a new plate. This way, the contaminations will all be on their own dishes, and the mushroom mycelium will also be isolated on its own plates. Sometimes, it takes three or four transfers to get a pure culture, and then several more after that to isolate strains down to single sectors.

There's a couple of petri dish/agar teks in my DVD that would help you understand the process. http://www.mushroomvideos.com/1809563.html
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate