Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Dutch students invent alcohol powder
    #7016590 - 06/06/07 06:05 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070606/tod-uk-dutch-drink-063ac92.html

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Dutch students have invented powdered alcohol which they say can be sold legally to minors.

The latest innovation in inebriation, called Booz2Go, is available in 20-gramme packets that cost 1-1.5 euros (70 pence-1 pound).

Top it up with water and you have a bubbly, lime-coloured and -flavoured drink with just 3 percent alcohol content.

"We are aiming for the youth market. They are really more into it because you can compare it with Bacardi-mixed drinks," 20-year-old Harm van Elderen told Reuters.

Van Elderen and four classmates at Helicon Vocational Institute, about an hour's drive from Amsterdam, came up with the idea as part of their final-year project.

"Because the alcohol is not in liquid form, we can sell it to people below 16," said project member Martyn van Nierop.

The legal age for drinking alcohol and smoking is 16 in the Netherlands.

The students said companies interested in making the product commercially could avoid taxes because the alcohol was in powder form. A number of companies are interested, they said

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLloydChristmas
getting lost on purpose
Male User Gallery

Loc: atx Flag
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: Ego Death]
    #7016636 - 06/06/07 06:22 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I want some for novelties sake. :rail:

--------------------

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outer Space
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: LloydChristmas]
    #7016716 - 06/06/07 06:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

thats not realy cool to be tryin to sell alcohol to kids, atleast kids under 16

peace out

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill" < Grateful Dead!

The bus came by and I got on, and thats when it all began

GROWLIGHT KIT, 250w HPS Digital ballast, + Enhanced Spectrum bulb and Reflector Sale Or Trade!

OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: LloydChristmas]
    #7016717 - 06/06/07 06:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

they are never going to be allowed to make it big though. it would be too much of a health concern, and i dont think the form of a drug will keep it from being regulated for too long.

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: Drewwyann]
    #7016823 - 06/06/07 07:23 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Dutch student dies snorting alcohol powder:grin::rolleyes:

--------------------
To old for this place

OfflineSebastian23
Stranger
Male

Loc: Bay
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: whiterasta]
    #7016914 - 06/06/07 07:51 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

That's fucking awesome!

At least they're straightforward about marketing to youth.

--------------------
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment
with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp
it was written on."
-Terence McKenna
Marijuana Myths Debunked

InvisibleGratos
Just thinkin anddrinkin
 User Gallery
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: whiterasta]
    #7016982 - 06/06/07 08:09 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Thatd be way cool if you could snort it.

OfflineNo0dLeMicE
F*ck ForVirginity
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BatCountry
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: dutchmushroom]
    #7017219 - 06/06/07 09:12 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

edit: n/m, i cant read ha ha, my apologies

Edited by No0dLeMicE (06/06/07 09:13 PM)

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Loc: your moms bedroom
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: No0dLeMicE]
    #7017804 - 06/07/07 12:46 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

the alchohal content is strong enough to snort it..... you would have to snort a hell of alot to feel anything

OfflineLeahBrownstein
Hippie
Female

Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: No0dLeMicE]
    #7017815 - 06/07/07 12:49 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Shit, I just wrote a long message and then my computer shut off. Anyway, because I'm to lazy to write it all again I'm just gonna give you the major points of my contribution.

1. These kids are fucking awesome
2. Why the hell hasn't some company made this before? (I mean, these were kids and were talking about companies with billions of dollars)
3. Maybe the companies thought it was unmarketable
4. Remember pipe bars (where you could actually smoke alcohol)? If answer is no, then thats because they were made illegal almost directly after their creation in almost 50 states due to deaths.
5. This new powdered alcoh will most likely suffer the same fate as pipe bars, in which you can smoke alcohol.
6. Law makers are Old-fashioned, bureaucratic, dinosaurs, who are not only NOT progressive, but actually recessive.

BOTTOM LINE

This shit sounds cool as fuck, lets get some here in the states.

Later guys
-Leah

OfflineDadeMurphy
H4x0r

#7017866 - 06/07/07 01:18 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Everyone is missing the most glaring question...what the hell is this article referring to?
Ethyl Alcohol is a liquid at room temperature/pressure, period. You cannot make it into a powder....
The salts produced by reacting ethanol with alkali metals are highly basic/reactive...not something you want to be selling for consumption as is...
So what is this stuff...a GHB analogue???

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: DadeMurphy]
    #7018077 - 06/07/07 03:40 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I was looking to figure that out too.

Nobody seemed to notice the obvious. Alcohol is a liquid. You can no more powder alcohol than you can water. You also can't smoke alcohol BTW Leah.

So anyhow, this is obviously a joke. The students are probably laughing their asses off.

The only thing you could possibly do would be to absorb alcohol into some sort of powder which you then dissolve into water. It's still alcohol and you couldn't sell it to kids or avoid taxes on it. It would be no more legal than a jello shot.

I'm sure those guys are laughing long and hard. It should have been obvious from the start when they said they're doing it so they can sell it to kids.

-FF

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: fastfred]
    #7018121 - 06/07/07 04:31 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

> Alcohol is a liquid.

Depends upon temperature. Alcohol will undergo a phase change from liquid to solid at low temperatures.

> You can no more powder alcohol than you can water.

Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate (Na2S2O3.5H2O) contains a lot of water in a solid. Most of us have crushed ice as well...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: Seuss]
    #7018367 - 06/07/07 07:43 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

the goverment and the world "condemnes" it, while a corporation buys the recipe and patents it and launches a pro-powder marketing campaign and suddenly everyone is doing it and nobody gives a f***.

--------------------

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Loc: your moms bedroom
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #7018401 - 06/07/07 08:00 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nobody seemed to notice the obvious. Alcohol is a liquid. You can no more powder alcohol than you can water. You also can't smoke alcohol BTW Leah.

So anyhow, this is obviously a joke. The students are probably laughing their asses off.

The only thing you could possibly do would be to absorb alcohol into some sort of powder which you then dissolve into water. It's still alcohol and you couldn't sell it to kids or avoid taxes on it. It would be no more legal than a jello shot.

I'm sure those guys are laughing long and hard. It should have been obvious from the start when they said they're doing it so they can sell it to kids.

no its not a joke..... but alcohol and water is much different... the molecular strand of alcohol is much larger and complex...... it is theoretically possible to alter this chain with other chemicals that could potentially be lethal.. but once they are combined all the lethal parts of that chemical are canceled out.... i just dont think it has been done because it isn't really anything new or useful

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: biggysmall]
    #7018523 - 06/07/07 08:45 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

biggysmall said:
Quote:

no its not a joke..... but alcohol and water is much different... the molecular strand of alcohol is much larger and complex...... it is theoretically possible to alter this chain with other chemicals that could potentially be lethal.. but once they are combined all the lethal parts of that chemical are canceled out.... i just dont think it has been done because it isn't really anything new or useful

Lol, longer and complex? like adding a simple "OH" to any alkane? or alklene or alkyne for that matter. The LAST thing I would call alcohol is "complex"

OfflineLeahBrownstein
Hippie
Female

Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: ApJunkie]
    #7018767 - 06/07/07 10:31 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

FastFred, smoking alcohol actually does exist and has been outlawed in most states. There are still a few bars that do it in new england. Search the internet for it, buy yourself a pipe. The problem with it if I remember correctly is that its hard to judge the amount of alcohol you intake resulting in overdoses.

-Leah

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Dutch students invent alcohol powder [Re: LeahBrownstein]
    #7019607 - 06/07/07 02:51 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

> FastFred, smoking alcohol actually does exist and has been outlawed in most states.

No, you can't "smoke" alcohol. Alcohol is flammable. If you were to attempt to smoke it you would be on fire.

You could possibly breathe vaporized alcohol, but that would also be quite a safety hazard. I have also heard of using an ultrasonic device to inhale it. However it would take quite a lot of alcohol vapor to get you drunk. From what I read it takes a good 20 min to vaporize a shot of it, making it pretty much worthless for getting drunk.

There is a company that makes an ultrasonic for alcohol. I think I read about it in high times. There was a review that concluded it was worthless for getting drunk. Anyways it hasn't been banned anywhere. Where in the heck are you coming up with this urban legend BS anyways?

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Alcohol is a liquid.

Depends upon temperature. Alcohol will undergo a phase change from liquid to solid at low temperatures.

Alcohol freezes at -114C (-173F). It is not practical to obtain those temperatures in consumer refrigeration equipment.

Also supposing that you froze it, it still wouldn't be immune from the laws. It would still be alcohol, you couldn't sell it to kids or avoid taxes.

It would also just be frozen not "powdered". You couldn't sell it in packages because they would thaw as soon as removed from the deep freeze.

Quote:

> You can no more powder alcohol than you can water.

Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate (Na2S2O3.5H2O) contains a lot of water in a solid. Most of us have crushed ice as well...

Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate is not water. It contains water, but that water is not free.

> but alcohol and water is much different... the molecular strand of alcohol is much larger and complex......

Not really. Ethanol is water with two carbons on it. The point is that they are both liquids. They will both be liquids at room temp and pressure.

I'm pretty sure this is a hoax. The way it is presented as a loophole to sell alcohol to kids and avoid taxes should make it fairly clear. Also every article on this contains the same quotes and information. It's obvious that every article was written from the same press release or article, that should also raise suspicions.

Even if it was true releasing the info with this sort of press release would be corporate suicide.

Supposing that they have found a way to increase the molecular weight of alcohol by binding it to something. And supposing that this product disassociates in water. It still isn't going to do anything that they claim. It's not natural, it's a newly created chemical. It would have to receive government approval before it could even be sold. They would have to invest millions in safety studies to be able to market it. Considering that they would be safety studies on alcohol they'll probably have quite a bit of trouble there. Then IF they could prove that it's safe they would still have to get it approved, and with their stated goal of selling it to children the chances of that are slim to none.

-FF

OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
    #7020368 - 06/07/07 06:50 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I'm assuming this is an alcohol precursor compound. When added to water, the chemical breaks down into (hydrolyzes?) into ethanol and ?. I know there are other liquids that can be chemically bonded to make a powder form, then easily reacted to reform the original liquid, but can't think of any examples at the moment. The powder its self is most certainly not plain etoh; I'd like to know its composition.

*Read the prior post a minute too late, my post is repetitious in that case.

--------------------

Edited by AuroricDistortions (06/07/07 06:52 PM)

OfflineBlindLemon
waves
Male

Loc: so cal
    #7020438 - 06/07/07 07:09 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I was seriously really high at a party last week and I came up with the same idea.... Powered alcohol would be the shit for people like me who don't drink allot cause most alcoholic drinks taste like shit to me.

Just pop in some insta-drunk pills with out the drinking!

--------------------

Im a fucking spiral..

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale