Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebrokenankle
Stranger
Growing opium poppies for ankle pain relief
    #6827640 - 04/24/07 01:30 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Hello all,

New to the boards here and am in search of a few answers and suggestions on growing opium poppies for pain relief.

Im in my 30's and severly injured my ankle around 3 years ago by tripping in a hole my dog dug in my back yard. The injurey resulted in major ligament and tendon damage. I didnt see a doctor right away infact I tried to tuff it out for about a year hobbling around on it.

The pain got so bad that I finally went and saw a orthopedic surgeon and about 1.5 yrs ago had surgery on it. Needless to say the surgery went well and the ligaments were repaired but I still have extreme pain and am walking no better than the day I injured it. This injurey has severly dampered my quality of life as far as doing normal day to day activities. On a good day I can usually spend no more than say 2 hrs walking on flat grounds before my ankle hurts so bad that I have to get off it for the day and take perscribed pain meds to cope with the pain.

At first I tried not usuaing the pain meds perscribed to me my Drs. But for about a year I have been on and off taking when needed. Vicodin, Norco and ocycodone to manage the pain. I worried about the long term use of these medications and currently am trying to find alternative sources of pain relief.

So the only pure pain relief narcotic I can think of is Opium poppies and am seriously thinking about giving them a go to see if they manage the pain an better than the perscribed pain killers I am currently taking.

So I come to this message board to try and get some insight and suggestions on where to order the seeds from and species or strain of poppy would be best for me. Ive never have used opium before but have smoked my share of cannabis. Infact I used cannabis for awhile to try and relieve the pain but cannabis did not touch the pain what so ever.

So with all that said. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to order seeds from and what strain of poppies to grow?

Thx in advance for the insight!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStreetFreak
smellin' like a plant

Loc: locked in a place where n...
Re: Growing opium poppies for ankle pain relief [Re: brokenankle]
    #6827868 - 04/24/07 02:35 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I think this belongs in the ethnobotanical garden forum, maybe try doing a forum search for any extra info you might want too. I'm sure a mod will move this though.

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Loc: Miss Kitty's Lounge
    #6828912 - 04/24/07 07:33 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

:sun: Welcome to teh Shroomery :sun:

If you're looking for info on growing poppies there's a wealth on this website.  I would suggest against trying to substitute opium for pills, because the pills are somewhat more reliable. Unless you know that you have good self-control and would only use it sparingly, like once a month and no more, then I wouldn't advise it.

Quote:

brokenankle said:
So the only pure pain relief narcotic I can think of is Opium poppies and am seriously thinking about giving them a go to see if they manage the pain an better than the perscribed pain killers I am currently taking.

Most people make a tea from the dried pods rather than smoking the opium. Poppy pods are actually more habit-forming than pills because they contain a greater variety of alkaloids.  If you start taking the tea regularly, the with-drawl will be worse than that of pills; causing your tolerance to  the pills to increase and making them less effective.  The combination of pills and tea might put you into risk of overdose territory as well. 

Salvia Divinorum
Been very helpful for me.  It feels like it's adjusting my body into its proper alignment. Supposedly helps with arthritis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

http://sagewisdom.org/lettertocsa.pdf

Kratom
Can be used twice a week for pain relief, pricey but has less potential for addiction than many opiates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kratom

http://erowid.org/

I believe Myfascial Release therapy has great potential for many people suffering from chronic pain.  Most insurances will cover it with a recommendation from a MD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_Release

I haven't downloaded this movie yet, but I think it might be worth a look.

http://maryamwebster.blogs.com/sage_wisdom/2007/01/the_cause_of_mo.html

Peace :sun:

--------------------

"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

Edited by schmutzen (04/24/07 11:35 PM)

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Growing opium poppies for ankle pain relief *DELETED* [Re: schmutzen]
    #6829978 - 04/24/07 11:24 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by NiamhNyx

Reason for deletion: mods cut the link

Edited by namaste (04/25/07 10:31 AM)

Offlinebrshroomer
Moss bear hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing opium poppies for ankle pain relief [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #6831438 - 04/25/07 10:08 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

i think is better to remove that link man... oO

--------------------

trade list & wanted list

pinning triggers

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Loc: Miss Kitty's Lounge
    #6831580 - 04/25/07 10:37 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

brokenankle said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to order seeds from and what strain of poppies to grow?

The spice aisle at your grocery store, or in bulk from health food stores are good sources of a quality strain to grow.

--------------------

"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

Re: Growing opium poppies for ankle pain relief [Re: schmutzen]
    #6831671 - 04/25/07 10:56 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

lol is that -snip- from a mod lol any who you do know that use of poppies is a tad illegal so make sure no one sees you harvesting from it, government ninjas are watching

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor

Re: Growing opium poppies for ankle pain relief [Re: thedudenj]
    #6832280 - 04/25/07 12:56 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

kratom. kratom. kratom.

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

Re: Growing opium poppies for ankle pain relief [Re: durban_poison]
    #6833913 - 04/25/07 07:01 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

im gona grow some purple peony

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder