Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Bluefoot is Psilocybe caerulipes and Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. [Re: coon]
    #6781200 - 04/12/07 10:47 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Sometime next year.

mj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Bluefoot is Psilocybe caerulipes and Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6782214 - 04/13/07 07:56 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

MJ,

I'm not a mycologist, but I am very interested in Taxonomy and would like to know what differentia Guzman used to distinguish P. ovoideocystidiata from P. stuntzii and P. caerulipes.

Offlineundersativaskies
blue ridgerepresent
Male User Gallery

Loc: cville
Re: Bluefoot is Psilocybe caerulipes and Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6785118 - 04/13/07 10:25 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Well i dunno what i eat off the river bed, but its the same mushroom as shroomery dans and found in virginia. Pics in gallery.

--------------------
The wolves howl, the sheep dwell, and the fool casts his whom.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #6785245 - 04/13/07 11:17 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Scholars have very little confidnece in what people write on forums which promote drugs and drug use.

Paul Stamets, ALbert Hofmann Jonathan Ott, Dennis McKenna, and others do not post on the internet in this forum or any other similar forum.

They avoid the insanity of having to bitch fight with people who are not qualified as they are to speak.

They find them inaccurate and disturbing, and I am speaking with full knowledge of may of them whom I write abou8t and lecture with.

Is this the way you feel about the shroomery? Do you agree with people who feel this way?
Is there no one here that is qualified to speak?
Are there no scholars that post at the shroomery?
Why do you post here? Are we to take scholars at their word?

Why would you mention Stamets? Has he not spoke of the benefits of mushrooms?
Would not that include him as, if not a member of the community, at least a kindred spirit?

You made a post about Dan's mushroom months ago, stating that people would be happy when the paper came out. Why even mention it? Why tempt the unqualified to speak?

Why did you bring these names into this post? Is it taunt? What does Hofmann have to do with the discussion at hand? Or for that matter Ott or Mckenna?

If your intent was to confuse it worked.

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: Bluefoot is Psilocybe caerulipes and Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. [Re: falcon]
    #6785271 - 04/13/07 11:27 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

c'mon fellas. :stars:

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Bluefoot is Psilocybe caerulipes and Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. [Re: shroomydan]
    #6791934 - 04/15/07 07:28 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

MJ,

I'm not a mycologist, but I am very interested in Taxonomy and would like to know what differentia Guzman used to distinguish P. ovoideocystidiata from P. stuntzii and P. caerulipes.

http://www.edata-center.com/journals/708ae68d64b17c52,0d49dda96a2a7147,3eb72a2f170d20a5.html
Quote:

ABSTRACT

Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata is described as a new blueing species from Pennsylvania, USA. It belongs to section Stuntzii Guzmán of genus Psilocybe for its subrhomboid, thick-walled spores and its caerulescent basidioma with annulus.

75-77 pages

Offlinephishhead
down to fragglerock...
 User Gallery

Loc: roswell, georgia
Re: Bluefoot is Psilocybe caerulipes and Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. [Re: falcon]
    #6792952 - 04/15/07 11:27 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Really I dont see what arguing in a forum about it is going to do anyways. I am a mycology hobbiest and in no way a professional, but it seems to me MJ you feel as if you are above everyone here and that noone else has valid points and info other than yourself or one of the many scientists you quote so often. I for one think that it is totally possible that the two mushrooms in question could be 2 different species or the same one. I would just like to know what makes them positively 2 different species? What differences were observed to be able to say this without any speculation. Instead of bickering with each other why dont we find out the answer to this question? Why Mj is this ovoideocystidiata and not caerulipes?

--------------------
"Moderation is the key to life..."

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #6794072 - 04/16/07 09:16 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Pay the $35.00 cost for the article to the International Journal of Medicinal mushrooms. And you can download the article as I had to do.

AS I said I am staying out of this riff since someone does not know about what they are talking about.

mj

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #6794178 - 04/16/07 09:45 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Interestingly, of the tens of thousands of journals that are available free to me through the two universities that I am affiliated with, the International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms is not one of them. That typically means that a journal is not readily accepted as an important journal in its field, or it is relatively new.

mjshroomer, is this a pretty reputable journal that just flies under the radar or what? Do many mycologists read this journal?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Bluefoot is Psilocybe caerulipes and Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. [Re: xmush]
    #6794550 - 04/16/07 11:13 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Xmush,
while I also am affiliated with several Universities, even I have to pay for a journal publication copied and sent to me from other Universities libraries. Even the professors have to pay for the copies of the works they need reprints of.

The Journal began in 1999. It is very big now because of the interest in medicinal shrooms, usually this field was restricted to Asia and Southeast Asia and spread to the Soviet block. Medicinal mushrooms are now a billion dollar a year business now. Far from rare. And yes The conferences are big each year more and more. Stamet' Medicinal shroom conference held in Ft. Towndsend was $1600.00 per person without room and board. Interestingly, the 2nd International Conference on Hallucinogenic Mushrooms was also held at ft. Worden. Tickets for that were $150.00 per person with room and board. See how much money Stamets is raking in on those. I also posted the Reeshi's of Thailand pictorial and posted images of the many by medicinal byproducts of Reeshi. Stamets makes a fortune off extracts of Agaricus Blazeii and Reeshi, moreso than the mushrooms he sells internationally.

Yes, Medicinal shrooms are big.

Now you said you have access to thousands of journal publications, but then again that cost for a student to find what you need and interlibrary loan is expensive

Regarding Library stock of journals. many libraries cut back on journal publications because of the expensive price of a journal. Most reputable journals only print a press run of approx. 200-2000 issues per journal. Most go to libraries but also to other mycologists who subscribe and article copies go to lead authors. Articles are sold or given to authors up to fifty copies. This journal does not provide authors with copies of their papers. They do sell, as do many journals now available, on the internet at a cost.

And journals published at least five years ago are rare and hard to find.

Because I paid for this article i am not posting it.

However, when Dr. Guzmán sends me a PDF copy, I will try to post the data asked about here.

I would like to tell you that when I was working with Dr. Mark Merlin at the U of H, the Library funding was cut by Governor Cayetano. He took $36,000,000 in library funds and re-issued the money to support the University football team. He wrote for the board of Trustees at Bishop which places funds for library spending at a new low. No new books for two years and 20% less journal publications for two years. That was in 1996 circa or there abouts.

They moved all journals prior to 1973 to a different building across campus. Making it harder for students to get older data without having to ravel the length of campus at Manoa.

U of W did a similar funding with the Huskies vs library funds and the University of Oregon in Eugene, had no money to buy new xerox equipment, using machines from the 1970s. That was visible to me in 1991 when Gartz and I went there to xerox marcofische items. They had the same machines from 1976 when I was there studying.

Now many journals are so expensive, schools cannot keep up with them as much as they would like to and every year, dozens of new journals are being added to the lists and not being used fully. Many libraries cannot afford the price of journals so they are choosy in what is accepted.

If you notice on this page,

http://www.begellhouse.com/journals/708ae68d64b17c52.html

the full issue cost $498.00 each. That is for a printed copy./ The U of Washington has them there.

You can scroll the issues from 2001 on and look at the table of contents of the variouos issues and you will see who writes what there. One issue was all the papers read at the Conference Stamets organized a few years ago or so.

The publishers of that journal also publish many others, including the journal of Ethnopharmacology.

Guzman has written several articles published here. AS have other noted mycologists.

Stamets and others have written many articles on magic shrooms in this journal and articles related to their medicinal properties.

mj

I think in the future, many journals will go internet and sell the PDF copies.

I have several journals over the years I have bought.

Journal of Psychedelic Drugs, later became Journal of Psychoactive Drugs. They charged me $100.00 for fifty copies of my paper, "Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand," When the article was published, while other journals provide up to 50 free copies of authors articles to the authors.

The Int. J. Med. Mushrooms charges for its copies to defray the cost of printing.

Not all libraries have carried the Journal of Psychedelic Drugs or its renamed issues, some due to cost, others due to subject matter. The J. of Psychedelic Drugs has been in print since the early 1970s.

I do have at least 1800 articles in my files of the more than 2800 known published articles about psilocybian mushrooms, collected from journals in Libraries and buying journal publications from around the world.

Here is the cover for one issue I own of the Journal of Psychedelic Drugs. This one is on the Conference for Hallucinogens and Shamanism in Native American Life" held at the Japan Trade Center in San Francisco in 1978.

It contains all the papers of the lectures given at this conference.

I purchased this years ago and it is not available now.

Also, many journal publications on library stacks at Universities on the West Coast between 1953 and 1985 have had mushroom articles ripped out of them, or pictures of magic shrooms excised from the pages of the journals in these libraries. This is disgusting. IT makes it so others could not learn about these mushrooms at the time.

A friend informed me that the article I wrote in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology on Hawaii had all the photos razor-bladed (excised) from the article.

Luckily I still had a few reprints, which that journal provides its authors with in my files so i was able to provide the Chemistry library with a copy sop they were able to restored to journal to its original fullness.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (04/16/07 11:25 AM)

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

#6794644 - 04/16/07 11:32 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Excellent, thanks for the info. I was just surprised that there was no online access like I have to so many other journals.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Bluefoot is Psilocybe caerulipes and Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. [Re: xmush]
    #6794668 - 04/16/07 11:36 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

double post. Sorry

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #6794679 - 04/16/07 11:41 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Online access is usually more so done with illegal copies posted by others. Such as Erowid. Most journals do not want their copyrighted materials posted. Of course they do not monitor sites of their materials which other post and then many access those articles for personal use.

I built my bibliography by actually xeroxing at least 9-% of all my copied articles in my files, besides having original journals and books.

I can post some reprint requests from articles I had to pay for because the originals were ripped from books at the U of W.. Usually they have some copies available but once their original fifty or so reprints are given out on requests, then interlibrary loan takes effect.

Students at universities do work study programs to pay back the cost of their tuitions, and student loans, etc., by copying articles on the work study programs at schools. I payed ten dollars each for numerous articles through interlibrary loan. I had no funding to buy them. Some schools providde that to teachers, others charge the teacher.

Libaries now charge about $15-20.00s per article to have a student find it, scan it in a xerox machine and then they mail you the article. Does not matter if it is one page or 100 pages. Cost is the same.

Even the teachers have to pay for many reprints pertaining to their studies or classes. Now many also have to pay for paper for copying at schools, even on their key cards for the copy machines, they are charged.

mj

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

#6794726 - 04/16/07 12:00 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Actually most publishers make their journals available online for a subscription. I wouldn't say that 'online access is usually more so done with illegal copies.' I think that online access is the norm for most reputable journals. This subscription is paid for by the university, and then students and faculty at the university can access these materials for free. There is also a fair use policy such that professors can distribute these materials in the classroom. It is pretty rare these days for someone to actually browse the stacks at a university and make physical copies of an article. That's why I was surprised that neither of the two universities I am with had access to IJMM when they have subscription access to so many other journals.

Of course now we are getting off topic from the bluefeet. Suffice to say, it seems that IJMM is a reputable journal in your opinion, but it is not readily available at some universities.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract