Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick
    #6772761 - 04/10/07 09:57 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick
April 10, 2007 - sootoday.com

Misusing vitamin to foil drug test may be toxic; plus, it doesn't work

Taking excessive doses of a common vitamin in an attempt to defeat drug screening tests may send the user to the hospital — or worse.

Researchers from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and The University of Pennsylvania reported on two adults and two adolescents who suffered toxic side effects from taking large amounts of niacin, also known as vitamin B3, in mistaken attempts to foil urine drug tests.

Both adult patients suffered skin irritation, while both adolescents had potentially life-threatening reactions, including liver toxicity and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), as well as nausea, vomiting and dizziness.

One of the teens also had disrupted heart rhythms.

All four patients recovered after treatment in hospital emergency rooms for the adverse effects.

The report appeared online in the Annals of Emergency Medicine.

"Testing urine for drugs is becoming increasingly common for job applicants," said study leader Manoj K. Mittal, M.D., a fellow in emergency medicine at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. "Because niacin is known to affect metabolic processes, there is a completely unfounded claim that it can rapidly clear the body of drugs such as cannabis and cocaine. However, niacin is toxic when taken in large amounts."

Niacin is easily available as an over-the-counter vitamin supplement.

As a vitamin, the daily recommended intake is 15 milligrams, but niacin is used in much larger doses to treat vitamin deficiencies and other conditions.

"People often assume niacin is completely safe," said Dr. Mittal. "As a water-soluble vitamin, it is easily excreted from the body. However, the body has its limits, and some of these patients took 300 times the daily recommended dose of niacin."

Dr. Mittal added that there is a report in the medical literature of a patient who suffered liver failure, requiring a liver transplant, after taking excessive doses of niacin.

Many Internet sites promote the misconception that niacin can be used to pass urine drug screening tests, Dr. Mittal said. "We hope that our study will alert emergency medicine physicians and other health care providers to this hazardous practice."

In addition to his position at Children's Hospital, Dr. Mittal is an instructor at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

His co-authors are Kevin C. Osterhoudt, M.D., medical director of the Poison Control Center at Children's Hospital; Todd Florin, M.D.; and Jeanmarie Perrone, M.D.; all of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine; and Joao H. Delgado, M.D., of Hartford Hospital in Hartford, Conn.

About The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia: The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia was founded in 1855 as the nation's first pediatric hospital.

Through its long-standing commitment to providing exceptional patient care, training new generations of pediatric healthcare professionals and pioneering major research initiatives, Children's Hospital has fostered many discoveries that have benefited children worldwide.

Its pediatric research program is among the largest in the country, ranking third in National Institutes of Health funding.

In addition, its unique family-centered care and public service programs have brought the 430-bed hospital recognition as a leading advocate for children and adolescents.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe Crow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: giving birth
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: veggie]
    #6772865 - 04/10/07 10:17 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Whaaaaaaaaaa-aaat?!?!?

This is bad news.....I'm on probation and take Niacin-one pill in the morning with a meal.

Will I pass my dt's?:shocked:

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: The Crow]
    #6773280 - 04/10/07 11:40 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Niacin works. It works great. What a bogus article.

OfflineDrise
Regnarts
 User Gallery

Loc: Underwater
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: fastfred]
    #6773712 - 04/11/07 01:41 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I've always heard of it working. My friend usually takes it, turns bright red, sweats uncontrollably and can't sleep. but he passes.

--------------------
"It is only once we've lost everything, we are free to do anything."

Everything I think, say, or do is fictional

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: Drise]
    #6773778 - 04/11/07 02:28 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

> My friend usually takes it, turns bright red, sweats uncontrollably and can't sleep.

He's taking too much. Niacin isn't a quick fix anyway, so there's no point in taking so much.

OfflineMahayana
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

#6773981 - 04/11/07 06:30 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

last December they called everyone in the district into the court house that was on probation and tested about 60% of us, a friend of mine who smokes all the time told me he had taken niacin in case they tested him, well they did and they took him across the road to the jail for testing positive, I'm not sure why some people claim it works which it probably does for some don't get me wrong, but I first hand seen it not work. It is probably something with peoples metabolism since everyones is different it probably works better on some then others. I always passed my tests when id been smokin with just large quantities of water and it has never failed me, I'm sure this is because THC is not water soluble .

--------------------
The river of Zen is quiet,even in the waves;
the water of stability is clear, even in the waves.

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: Mahayana]
    #6774079 - 04/11/07 07:30 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I have seen way to many people fail by relying stictly on niacin. Niacin, in conjunction with proper eating, a good metabolism, low body fat, and pleanty of fluids probably works most of the time though. Bodies are different. I dont understand why people on probation with drug tests push their luck. If it is that hard to stay clean for a finite amount of time, maybe you need to ask yourself if you really do have a drug "problem".

OfflineLily_Morgan
I'm #1 !!
Female User Gallery
Loc: Eastern Shore
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: dedjam]
    #6774610 - 04/11/07 11:06 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I had to take a roommate to the hospital a few months back because she OD'd on Niacin. She was trying to pass a drug test (obviously) and had taken somewhere around 150mg of it. Turned bright red, couldn't sit down, and her heart rate was wayyyyy up. So, a hospital visit and a lot of discomfort...and she still didn't pass the drug test.

Offlineminesstudent
Who knows?
Male

Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: Lily_Morgan]
    #6774698 - 04/11/07 11:36 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I thought to vitamins were just to give your urine color because you have to drink so much water. To pass a drug test you have to dilute your urine to where the amount of metabolites is below the detectable limits.

--------------------
"The universe is the way it is because if it wasn't we wouldn't be here to talk about it"

InvisibleEntheogenicPeace
Scholar
Male

Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: Lily_Morgan]
    #6774719 - 04/11/07 11:41 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (06/05/16 07:47 PM)

OfflineHIghInOhio
stranger thanyou
 User Gallery

Loc: ohio
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #6776894 - 04/11/07 08:44 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

yeah Im gonna have to agree with minesstudent here; popping a couple niacin pills will not clear the thc out of your piss. This is an urban legend that is based off of an actual method used to fool drug tests: drink a lot of water during the day of and before your test, and eat some Vitamin B3 (niacin) a couple hours before the test.

If your urine is really diluted with water, chances of getting a positive results for drugs will be greatly reduced because your pee is mainly water (your piss is also colorless when you drink a lot of water). Doctors know this trick, and taking niacin will make your piss look like it should - yellow. Anyone who eats niacin will notice their piss turns bright yellow.

I have gotten negative results a few times after smoking a couple bowls three or so days before a test and I only drank a bunch of water, and risked the doctor noticing my piss was clear.

OfflineAvailable
Stranger
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: HIghInOhio]
    #6776989 - 04/11/07 09:15 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Well first,
If you take tylenol an hour before you take niacin it will reduce the redness (flush) and fever and all that crap
Second
Pay a few more bucks and get "Niacin no flush" (yeah they make it go to GNC) it works better and you cant even tell you took it.

third
Niacin wont help you pass the test the day before. Niacin just speeds up your metabolize and makes you burn fat cells. Fat cells contain THC.
If you exercise and take niacin you will burn up the stored THC.
if your worried about a drug test don't be cheap and buy a drink. The drink will help cover it up. Unless its getting sent to a lab. then your fucked.

if i sounded kind of like an ass I'm sorry i was just trying to break it down.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
    #6777872 - 04/12/07 02:29 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Niacin works. It works great. What a bogus article.

It does not work, not at all the way people think it does anyway. The article mentions the way people think it works. If your urine is tested past a dip stick, they will know you've been taking a lot of niacin as well as other substances. It simply masks a bit for the dipstick, along with extra water, helping to pass the test.

Do not rely on niacin for passing a drug test - it really is unhealthy. The best thing is good excersize, lots of water, and not smoking.

--------------------
delta9

Offlinechubbycharley
the chubbiest ofthe charleys
Male

Loc: everywhere
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: delta9]
    #6778814 - 04/12/07 12:32 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

i have used niacin to pass a UA but i had to take it for a week and it just barely worked. the kids in the article took 4500mgs, that's 9 pills (500mg ea.) that is way too much for one sitting. 3 is the most i ever took at once and that was an intense flush :laugh:

niacin will not work in a day or two, you need at least five, i think.

oh, and the article said the suggested daily amount was 15mg, well the pills come in 500mg doses (the ones i got from GNC, smallest ones i could find) so what does that tell you about its safety?

--------------------
if i'm just a stoned stoner, sayin some stoned ass shit, please correct me :smile:

Offlinechubbycharley
the chubbiest ofthe charleys
Male

Loc: everywhere
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: HIghInOhio]
    #6778826 - 04/12/07 12:37 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

HIghInOhio said:This is an urban legend that is based off of an actual method used to fool drug tests: drink a lot of water during the day of and before your test, and eat some Vitamin B3 (niacin) a couple hours before the test.

If your urine is really diluted with water, chances of getting a positive results for drugs will be greatly reduced because your pee is mainly water (your piss is also colorless when you drink a lot of water). Doctors know this trick, and taking niacin will make your piss look like it should - yellow. Anyone who eats niacin will notice their piss turns bright yellow.

I have gotten negative results a few times after smoking a couple bowls three or so days before a test and I only drank a bunch of water, and risked the doctor noticing my piss was clear.

wrong about that urban legend thing. it does work, but it works by speeding up your metabolism to clear the THC from your system faster than usual. although the method you described works the best if your test isn't going to a lab. i've used it many times, but i always took a B complex, not just niacin.

--------------------
if i'm just a stoned stoner, sayin some stoned ass shit, please correct me :smile:

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: chubbycharley]
    #6789084 - 04/14/07 11:02 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Niacin works great if you actually understand what it's for. This thread is as uninformed as the article at the top. Niacin usually comes in 500mg time-release pills, yet someone is claiming that 150 mg will send you to the hospital. So don't take your advice from someone who's never even seen a niacin pill.

Niacin isn't a quick fix. It's used for a couple reasons. It makes your piss yellow, which helps make it look normal when you're drinking large amounts of water to clean out your system. The other thing it does is increase your circulation. It dilates capillaries (the flushing) which increases circulation many times to tissues that ordinarily get only a small blood supply. That helps you clean out your system. There are also metabolic effects that help.

Those are documented medical effects that are easily verified by anyone who has ever taken a niacin pill. So anyone who says that niacin can't help you pass a pee test obviously doesn't know shit about niacin OR pee testing.

-FF

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

#6790422 - 04/15/07 01:00 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Niacin isn't a quick fix. It's used for a couple reasons. It makes your piss yellow,

You're supposed to use creatine for that, actually. It's a cocktail thing, see, niacin + creatine + a ton of water. Water-logging is what really works the most magic in parts per millions.

--------------------
delta9

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: delta9]
    #6790888 - 04/15/07 02:48 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

> You're supposed to use creatine for that, actually.

Niacin makes your piss yellow just fine. No expensive creatine needed.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio
Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: chubbycharley]
    #6791430 - 04/15/07 05:06 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

chubbycharley said:
i have used niacin to pass a UA but i had to take it for a week and it just barely worked. the kids in the article took 4500mgs, that's 9 pills (500mg ea.) that is way too much for one sitting. 3 is the most i ever took at once and that was an intense flush :laugh:

oh, and the article said the suggested daily amount was 15mg, well the pills come in 500mg doses (the ones i got from GNC, smallest ones i could find) so what does that tell you about its safety?

How do you know "It just barely worked"
Personally, I find listening to talk of niacin annoying because there are always 50 different people saying 50 different reasons why it works, then another 50 people with 50 different reasons saying why it doesn't work. Just don't be fucking stupid and stop smoking weed.

--------------------
!

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Re: Niacin won't help you pass a drug test, might make you sick [Re: jewunit]
    #6792960 - 04/15/07 11:28 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
Quote:

chubbycharley said:

How do you know "It just barely worked"
Personally, I find listening to talk of niacin annoying because there are always 50 different people saying 50 different reasons why it works, then another 50 people with 50 different reasons saying why it doesn't work. Just don't be fucking stupid and stop smoking weed.

That should be more than enough proof that it doesn't "work" (at least not the way people think so), when no one can agree upon the effects.

--------------------
delta9

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale