Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hygrometer, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleOrangeSky
Stranger

HELP! My mycelium is turning blue!
    #6717238 - 03/27/07 07:31 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I finally got my humidity problems taken care of in my greenhouse (http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6691991#6691991). RogerRabbit was right - my hygrometer wasn't working right, and after buying a new one, I've (currently) got the humidity in there at a constant 95-100%.

Now that the humidity is up, I've got two 12 quart sweater boxes full of colonized coir with a substrate depth of approximately 2 3/4 to 3 inches (uncased) and five half-pint BRF cakes inside. The cakes are sitting on the lid to one of the sweater boxes which is covered in moist vermiculite. There is also a small layer of moist vermiculite on top of each of the cakes. I've had the sweater boxes inside for six days now, and the cakes have been inside for five days.

Between three and four days ago, I noticed a very small amount of bruising on the mycelium in the sweater boxes, and I didn't think much of it since I touched it when draining off some excess moisture before putting the sweater boxes into the greenhouse. At that time, I was running the greenhouse at a constant 95% humidity.

The day after noticing it for the first time, I saw that it had spread somewhat and misted the sweater boxes and cakes and set the inner humidifier to run more frequently (the outer humidifier runs constantly). Since then, I've been gradually increasing the frequency with which the inner humidifier has been running, which has increased the humidity to a constant near 100%, and misting the sweater boxes and cakes every now and then - probably not less than twice a day.

The BRF cakes don't show any bruising except for maybe one spot, but it hasn't spread any. In the sweater boxes, the bruising doesn't seem to have slowed at all and is continuing to spread. Any ideas why this is happening? And will it have any negative effects on my mushrooms?

Edited by OrangeSky (03/28/07 11:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOrangeSky
Stranger

Re: HELP! My mycelium is turning blue! [Re: OrangeSky]
    #6719462 - 03/28/07 11:47 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

As of this morning, the bruising is continuing to spread in the sweater boxes. Is it possible that the humidity is too high?

InvisibleRoachMan
Comfortably Numb
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
    #6719611 - 03/28/07 12:25 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Bluing doesn't occur when the humidity is too high it usually occurs when the mycelium is dehydrated.
It is possible that the water content of your substrate was not at field capacity before spawning, and that the mycelium is bruising due to that.

I've never had to dunk a casing before fruiting, but in this case you might have to do just that.

If your water content was correct initially then the bruising is probably from water that evaporated during a time of low humidity in the FC.

I've never said this before because it is a word that is highly scrutinized when used, but if you don't get it hydrated soon it may cause a bad case of overlay.

If it is pulling away from the sides anywhere this is sure indication that it isn't fully hydrated;
RR might suggest pouring some clean cool water down into the pan (on the sides) to hydrate the substrate.

(I would suggest about a 1/2 cup to a cup per day until the blueing subsides...all the while making sure not to have a significant amount of standing water at the bottom of the tray.)

--------------------
"The mistake that I make is to try to come awake in a place you're just supposed to get shit faced or baked."

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: HELP! My mycelium is turning blue! [Re: RoachMan]
    #6719691 - 03/28/07 12:50 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

It could be bruising if droplets of water are falling directly on the mycelium. Too dry will cause it, or being dripped on will also cause it. Both are bad for pinning.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

InvisibleRoachMan
Comfortably Numb
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: HELP! My mycelium is turning blue! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6719833 - 03/28/07 01:27 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the post, Rog'; I didn't know about the water droplets doing it.

--------------------
"The mistake that I make is to try to come awake in a place you're just supposed to get shit faced or baked."

InvisibleOrangeSky
Stranger

Re: HELP! My mycelium is turning blue! [Re: RoachMan]
    #6722226 - 03/28/07 11:14 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Once I get the mycelium re-hydrated, will it go back to being white or will it stay blue for good?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #6722627 - 03/29/07 12:52 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

If it fruits, it doesn't matter. I take it from the picture, you're trying to fruit uncased? Put wax paper over the top to hold humidity close to the substrate and also to deflect drips. Lift it up every time you fan out your FC, and replace with a fresh sheet whenever it gets wet.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

OfflineBlehMaestro
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6723192 - 03/29/07 05:24 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
If it fruits, it doesn't matter. I take it from the picture, you're trying to fruit uncased? Put wax paper over the top to hold humidity close to the substrate and also to deflect drips. Lift it up every time you fan out your FC, and replace with a fresh sheet whenever it gets wet.
RR

Always great advice from a great person!

Anyways, good luck OP I'm sure it'll turn out fine, cubes are amazingly resilient.

InvisibleRoachMan
Comfortably Numb
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: HELP! My mycelium is turning blue! [Re: BlehMaestro]
    #6723582 - 03/29/07 10:04 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

BlehMaestro said:
I'm sure it'll turn out fine, cubes are amazingly resilient.

I just opened up a covered 5 gallon bucket that I had put a spent casing and some spent cakes in on top of some hydrated coir that is all going to go into a hpoo hole outside when it gets warmer.

Well, whenever I opened it up to make sure there wasn't a big fungal bloom or the like I found many open-capped cubes coming off the "spent" casing, and a few tiny ones on the cakes.

The cover has a crack in it from where I broke it by sitting on it.

Another prime example of resiliency.

--------------------

InvisibleOrangeSky
Stranger

#6744114 - 04/03/07 11:18 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks so much for all the great advice! I dunked the sweater boxes, got some wax paper, and covered them with it. As of today I have several fat, little mushrooms growing in one of the sweater boxes, and a few starting in the other. I'm just wondering, at what point should I stop keeping the wax paper on top of the boxes?

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman

#6744136 - 04/03/07 11:28 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Keep it on till the mushrooms start pushing it out of the way,I had to do use crumpled wax paper on some uncased trays I did as an experiment,even with the cool mist on 24 hrs a day I couldn't get the Rh high enough to get them to fruit here is a pic

[url=http:/http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5669077/an/0/page/0/www.shroomery.org/forums/files/07-009/287860614-CIMG0646.jpg]

I left it on till they actually grew tall enough to push it out of the way and even than I left them in a small amount of water and misted the hell out of them.....I will be sticking with casings if I set the greenhouse up again

--------------------
Cake makers please read this before you waste more time/effort >>
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6236058/an/0/page/0
My LC tek >> http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7320516/an/0/page/0

""THEY CAN NOT KILL ME,I STILL WALK THE EARTH,WEAKENED BUT ALIVE.THEY HAVE TAKEN ALL FROM ME BUT THE BEATING OF MY COLD DEAD HEART.
THEY WILL NOW LEARN OF FEAR,THESE MEWING BABIES WHO THOUGHT THEY COULD DESTROY ME.
I HAVE REGAINED MY POWERS AND SHALL COME TO THEM IN THE NIGHT........

MY VISITS SHALL NOT BE KIND !! ""
:vampire: BlutJager :vampire:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hygrometer, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation