Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie)
    #6692345 - 03/20/07 05:57 PM (17 years, 13 days ago)

i need some pointers, possibly some links to some sites that could help me before i plan to go mushroom hunting this year here in west virginia, im only interested in the psychedelic ones for the time being, i know an expert hunter that can help me with other edible ones if i become interested.

anyone that has experience in WV mushroom hunting please share with me your knowledge.

so far the only one i know of yet is Psilocybe caerulipes, are there any others? are there any poisonous ones i could be tricked by misidentifying? any other info on this particular strain and any other psilocybes(or other psychoactive mushies) in the area(if any) will help.

edit: i also want to know if there are any books i should look out for, for help in my mushroom hunting.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Edited by highdroponics (03/20/07 06:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: highdroponics]
    #6692724 - 03/20/07 07:46 PM (17 years, 13 days ago)

VW mushroom hunting can be fun... you just have to make sure your heat shields are properly sealed to prevent unwanted thermal meltdowns while driving slowly, it is always a good idea to replace the oil pressure sensor in the spring because that little red light can be distracting.
OHHHH you said WV mushroom hunting.... check out http://www.shroomery.org/forums/search.php

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: georgeM]
    #6692761 - 03/20/07 07:51 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

did that, came up with nothing useful.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
    #6692873 - 03/20/07 08:12 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

Blue foots (caerulipes) supposedly are hard to find but are potent ive heard.
Gymnopilus Spectabilis, and Gymnopilus species are likely in your state and you cant forget the oh,
so abundant Panaeolus Subbalteatus. look those up.
Theyre the only actives you'll have any chance of finding.
'

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: Subbedhunter420]
    #6693071 - 03/20/07 08:59 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

any of those contain psilocybin or psilocin?(EDIT: Yes they do) im really looking forward to a psilocybin trip, i havent had any in atleast a year, and its not looking too good for the future, i cant even find a good weed connect :frown:
maybe i should just order some spores and try to get them to grow abundantly in the wild around here.(cant grow indoors, still living at home sadly, it will be atleast a few more years before im able to move out...fucking money is bullshit these days)

anyway i have begun searching for info on these, thanks for your help!

--------------------

Edited by highdroponics (03/21/07 08:30 AM)

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

#6695905 - 03/21/07 03:55 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

This is Panaeolus Subbalteatus.
It grows in your state. It grows everywhere.
Hence its nickname, the "Weed Panaeolus".
do some research on it and im sure you will find some around your area.
Besides, your chances of taking spores and growing them in your neighborhood outdoors isnt the best way...
Or grow in your room...

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

#6696078 - 03/21/07 04:50 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

yeah i did a bunch of research on it and the Gyms. the gyms are hard to identify from what ive heard, and you have to eat alot of them, and i hear they also taste quite nasty.

the pans i hear can grow on just about any type of compost or manuer and are so common they can be found in your own back yard quite easily.

ayway im still gonna make a strong effort to find the blue foot, they just look so incredibly awesome and i really think i can find some, because im outdoors through the whole spring, summer, and fall, even during the night sometimes- i do a lot of fishing/hiking/bike riding.

--------------------

Edited by highdroponics (03/21/07 04:53 PM)

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

#6696112 - 03/21/07 04:58 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

Yeah, I'd would look for bluefoot too. just to see if i could find em.

OfflineMysteryman23145
Shroom n00b
Loc: North Western Ohio
    #6696169 - 03/21/07 05:14 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

Heh, you have the exact same choice of shrooms as in my state. I'm gonna look for blue foot too this year! Bet I'll beat ya to it! :smirk:

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: Mysteryman23145]
    #6696513 - 03/21/07 07:23 PM (17 years, 12 days ago)

hah its on! lol

i saw the first signs of mushrooms growing today :smile: one little shroomie was poking out one of the gardens in my back yard today.

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #6697749 - 03/21/07 11:55 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

I think its still too early for bluefoot or morels. Last year Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum) was four or five feet high when I first stumbled onto bluefoot in a place I had checked several times earlier that spring. Japanese knotweed looks like a red devil's tail when it first sprouts and tastes a little like sour green apples.

Later in the season when bluefoot are out it looks like this.

Bluefoot is not Psilocybe caerulipes. MJshroomer forwarded some samples on to Dr. Gaston Guzman for me, and Guzman identified them as Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. The following is from Guzman's email to me.

Quote:

I am sorry...It is not a new species. Certainly it is a rare species and a new record but not a new species. My colleague and me were confused at first with your material, because another Psilocybe that we recently studied from Pennsylvania and we described as a new species...when I compared your mushroom with that of Pennsylvania, I can not find differences among them. Then your material is not a new species, but it is the first record... from Ohio and West Virginia.

The Pennsylvania mushroom is Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, that soon will be published.

Best regards

Dr. Gaston Guzman

Emeritus Research and

Head of the Fungus Collection of

Instituto de Ecologia

So who is going to post the first 2007 bluefoot find? It's probably still too early, but it might be worth looking. Whoever finds them first this year gets to to make the first ever offical shroomery Bluefoot thread, which will be stickied at the top of this forum to post all our glorious finds:D.

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: shroomydan]
    #6698035 - 03/22/07 01:24 AM (17 years, 11 days ago)

holy shit, that is just amzing right there man, all this time blue foot were mis-identified? also awesome that you were the first in ohio to find that particular species growing there.

the shroom i found growing i know wasnt a psychoactive, it was a very pale white and had a small cap, the stem was fairly thick though and at the time i spotted it, it was wilting(just from what i identified from my 2nd floor deck)....i was quite surprised, we havent had rain for like 4 days(but there has been a lot of snow on the ground melting from last week) and it hasnt been much higher than 50 degrees maybe 55-57 the other day.

anywho, i will make absolutly sure to keep an eye out for that knotweed seeing how you had such great luck in finding the blue foot around them. im expecting temperatures in the 60s to 70s all this week..hopefully that will help warm the ground up and get everything ready to start sprouting a couple weeks later, im really anxious to get out there and test my hunting and identifying abilities...this actually sounds like the most fun part to me lol, the experience later is just a reward to look forward to in my opinion.

--------------------

Edited by highdroponics (03/22/07 01:34 AM)

InvisibleBeta
Goodfella

im a newbie right now [Re: highdroponics]
    #6699831 - 03/22/07 04:13 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

so yea im a newbie....and I have a stupid ass question.....can u use the mushrooms that grow around anywhere....kinda like that fungus shit:confused:

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: im a newbie right now [Re: Beta]
    #6699841 - 03/22/07 04:18 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

beta,did you eat a bowl of stupid for breakfast?

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Re: im a newbie right now [Re: coon]
    #6700052 - 03/22/07 05:26 PM (17 years, 11 days ago)

beta you got a lot to read up on my friend....ive been researching over the whole winter myself, and im still in a jam because i have no field practice and i could really use an experienced hunting buddy..but i know noone around here that does mushroom hunting for the psilocybin ones so im gonna need a lot of help from people on here...you cant just eat some random mushroom and expect to get tripped out...or even survive for that matter.

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #6763614 - 04/09/07 12:58 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Guzman is wrong. Peck is pissed.:smirk:

Caerulipes and Psilocybe cyanescens may be co-specific. If this is the case then
Psilocybe cyanescens should be called Psilocybe caerulipes var. cyanescens. :lol:

I think a lot of the active wood loving psilocybe are going to end up being named Psilocybe caerulipes variation something or other.

I for one like the name caerulipes. Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, is long and cumbersome and considering Guzman is just renaming Blue foot it just ain't right. I do recall something about Guzman assigning several specific epitaphs to what were later shown to be the same species of Australian mushroom.

Peck is an honored American Mycologist. Guzman's renaming of Psilocybe caerulipes is unseemly and unwarranted. I don't imagine that outside
the psychedelic circle that he's taken seriously, if he does indeed publish this paper.

Edited by falcon (04/09/07 03:33 PM)

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: falcon]
    #6764400 - 04/09/07 08:44 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Please say more falcon; Guzman's criterion for distinguishing these from P. caerulipes is the presences of an annulus, however, as you know, the annulus usually only persists for a few hours.

Guzman also told me the mushrooms I sent him were closely related to P. stuntzii.

What is this about P. caerulipes and P. cyanescens being co-specific?

You have peeked my curiosity Falcon.  :gum:

Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
    #6764466 - 04/09/07 09:20 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:
Japanese knotweed looks like a red devil's tail when it first sprouts and tastes a little like sour green apples.

Wow do you just eat it raw?

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #6765870 - 04/09/07 02:44 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I have twice seen cyanescens beds produce caerulipes mushrooms.
Both times the cyanescens beds were contaminated with small amounts of
caerulipes mycelium. Though this does not prove they are co-specific it
makes me suspect that they may be.

If they are co-specific and since caerulipes was named before
cyanescens then caerulipes would take precedence as the name of the species.

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: WV mushroom hunting(im a newbie) [Re: falcon]
    #6766422 - 04/09/07 04:36 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Is it just me or is every psilocybian wood-lover seem closely related?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract