Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Loc: So long stinktown
Re: Eating Organic [Re: PDU]
    #6583968 - 02/19/07 02:35 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

If all farms converted into organic methods using non-hybrid crops, there would not be enough farm space to feed the ever growing number of people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Eating Organic [Re: zathan]
    #6587563 - 02/19/07 10:18 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

There was an interesting article in the paper yesterday, Actually about a lecture i sadly missed, at the university.

it was.. SO+SO vs. Monsanto.

Basically he was an organic canola farmer, and his fellow farmers GMO'd canola seed/pollen was carried by the wind into his field, where it was fertilized and obviously took over..

Anyways, Monsanto sent their *patent police* into the fields of this certain area, and sued the farmer for copyright infringement from stealing their "superior" seeds... which actually ruined his crop.

Apperently now Monsanto is working on two different technologies regarding GMO - basically making their seeds eliminate the competition in nature, and then overtaking the current crops of the same seed. (if that makes sense.)

Shitty shit to think about..

The more GMO we eat, the more chemicals we aren't informed about - the more our chemistry will change.. and alot of people suspect that there will be (and already are) correlations of disease rates.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineBrewmaster
Mescalero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Richmond Flag
    #6593167 - 02/21/07 09:36 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I'd never heard of a "Co-op" before I visited Burlington, VT. Kinda like the Utopia that Kielbasa was ranting about. Almost everything is locally grown and produced. Products sold there by outside/larger companies sacrifice a big chunk of their return profits because it is being put back into the local community. All the growers get to set their own prices and they own stock in the store.
It's great, every town should have one.

--------------------
On storing pedro tea...

Brewmaster: Well, the mescaline will still be in there, but I'd be afraid of it conjealing and trying to escape after it grew in size from eating all the other shit in my fridge, and possibly my dogs if it got out.

Pithlit: sentient drugs, now that is an idea ...

OneMoreRobot: Idea? It's a fuckin' reality. You know Salvia? Nigga stole my TV.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Eating Organic [Re: Brewmaster]
    #6593765 - 02/21/07 01:17 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Co-ops are cool because everyone working there dedicates a time to work there. They then get paid with food. To be a member of a co-op you have to help out.

OfflineLaineRB
Garden Heir
 User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Eating Organic [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #6608697 - 02/25/07 01:25 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

FOr those that doubt the merits of organic growing I ask you to consider the link between pesticides and the decline of bee populations world wide. The bee population has declined roughly by 50% over the past 50 years. THese numbers are staggering and the resulting loss of crops that these bees pollinate will hit our ability to produce food very harshly.

Perhaps organic foods won't feed all of our people but at this point the danger of conventional foods will destroy much of our ability to feed ourselves as well. This harsh reality is more indicative of the problem of over population and our inability to feed everyone with any type of food.

That said I collect my own food: mushrooms, berries,sea vegetables, vegetables, fish etc. This is far superior to any organic methods and all though is not possible for everyone to do is far less invasive than farming on the natural environment. Considering it is difficult to collect all your food I do buy organic foods to supplement this.

Organic foods can be expensive to buy however I have decided to adjust the rest of my lifestyle to allow myself to treat my body right. I do not own a car nor do I eat commerical meat therefore I free up the rescources often put towards these to put towards organic foods.

Edited by LaineRB (02/25/07 01:33 PM)

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Loc: So long stinktown
Re: Eating Organic [Re: LaineRB]
    #6611356 - 02/26/07 01:38 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Pesticides, maybe. But it's highly regulated and farmers are reluctant to use it knowing the consequences. Also, I've already heard of the decline in bee population. It has more to do with mites.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6326020

http://www.mindfully.org/Heritage/2004/Bee-Decline-Fruits5oct04.htm

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#6611901 - 02/26/07 09:14 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

x

Edited by shaos (04/10/11 02:33 PM)

Re: Eating Organic [Re: LaineRB]
    #6611972 - 02/26/07 09:49 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Bees suffer from a mite that gets into their lung/breathing things. They are infact sufficating to death as we speak.

Re: Eating Organic [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #6611985 - 02/26/07 09:53 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I would have let the bees stay.

Down the street there is this house that has bats in the attic and bees in the walls.

How awesome would it be knowing that your house is also helping the community?

The down fall to the bats is the fact that, the house had over 2000 pounds of guano on the floor of the attic. But that 2000 pounds can fetch 13 bucks a pound, or it can fertelise a huge organic garden out back.

The huge amount of bees in the house, is probably the largest community of bees we have. They are probably what keeps this town alive in many aspect.

2000 pounds of guano, think of how many mosquitos it took to make that. I am glad that the bats ate them so that the bugs don't eat me.

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #6612001 - 02/26/07 10:07 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Africanized honey bees haven't suffer from mites. They make two times the honey and bees wax.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/mar04/bees0304.htm

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Re: Eating Organic [Re: Brainiac]
    #6612015 - 02/26/07 10:16 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

yeah just what we need, nast agressive bees living in the house down the street.:)

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #6612033 - 02/26/07 10:22 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I have heard when thay are mad.They can hunt three hours for what pissed them off.

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Eating Organic [Re: Brainiac]
    #6616470 - 02/27/07 11:57 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I usually only buy thin skinned organic fruits and vegetables. Greens, apples, onions, etc. I buy free range eggs because chickens raised on a diverse diet have better tasting eggs. My gf gets her beef from her parents, who raise it themselves. They arent organic or even all natural, but they dont need to use preventative antibiotics and steriods like the CFOs and CAFOs. These are the biggest source of groundwater pollution from runoff. Button mushroom farms are the biggest users of insecticide.

I think what brewmaster is getting at, is wild fish that live in a watershed contaminated by human feces. ie, the rain comes and floods the sewers and all sewage water, black and grey and rain water is dumped into a river or lake. It isn't good to eat from this source, its proven that intestinal parasites will spread amongst a population.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Eating Organic [Re: YidakiMan]
    #6616487 - 02/27/07 12:00 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think pesticides are killing bees but it is killing off beneficial insects faster than it kills pests. That much is easy because after forty to fifty years, we use more pesticides per acre and suffer more crop loss.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #6616499 - 02/27/07 12:05 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zathan said:
If all farms converted into organic methods using non-hybrid crops, there would not be enough farm space to feed the ever growing number of people.

Thats not true, bio dynamic farms yield 2-3x more than traditional row cropping.

And hybridizing aka breeding isnt my enemy, its gene manipulation that is the devil. see my next post.

Edited by YidakiMan (02/27/07 12:11 PM)

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #6616507 - 02/27/07 12:08 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Monsanto is responsible for the killer pigweed that is spreading around the American southeast. It is resistant to roundup. They will be forced to pay $$$$ damages to man for their crimes against nature.

OfflineMacuilxochitl
God of Love

Re: Eating Organic [Re: YidakiMan]
    #6642387 - 03/06/07 05:47 PM (17 years, 27 days ago)

mmmmmmm organic, better yet local organic

--------------------
The flowery dream

Psilocybe aztecorum,Nicotiana tabacum,Turbina corymbosa,Heimia salicifolia,Quararibea funebris, The last flower is for you to figure out.

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: Eating Organic [Re: Macuilxochitl]
    #6642570 - 03/06/07 06:17 PM (17 years, 27 days ago)

I recently bought some organic raw honey, looks off white in color, and is solid at room temp. Its bomb as hell!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds