Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Just received mead making kit....equipment question
    #6490695 - 01/23/07 08:34 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I am getting my equipment together to make my first batch of mead. I am sure most people here make wine or beer instead but hopefully there is enough of an overlap in equipment that someone can answer my question.

The only real question I have is about the airlock. I have about four pieces here and am not quite sure how this works. There is a screw-on plastic cap with a hole in it which must fit over the opening of the carboy as there is no other conceivable place for it. And I assume the airlock (which for descriptive purposes is shaped like a large syringe) fits into that hole, needle pointed down. I could put it in the carboy opening without placing the screw-on cap on first but it would not be a snug fit.

I wish I had a cam but I'll do my best to describe..The airlock consists of a needle chamber and a larger chamber just above it. The narrow needle chamber extends up into the larger chamber above. There is a separate piece..a domed lid with a hole at the bottom resting on the top opening of the needle chamber. I am assuming since it came this way this is the correct position.

Am I supposed to add water to the airlock or a balloon or something?

Also there is a plastic cap which fits the airlock top. I am assuming that is for when fermentation is complete but you don't want to bottle right away?

The primary fermenter is a plastic container with a hole in the top with a rubber ring around the hole. I am assuming the airlock is supposed to go there but it doesn't look all that snug.

Ok I found a pic of the airlock. It is the one on the right. Not sure what that cuplike thing it is resting on is. I don't have anything like that in my kit. I guess it is just a stand for the airlock so it doesn't fall over while taking a picture.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Edited by zorbman (01/23/07 08:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Just received mead making kit....equipment question [Re: zorbman]
    #6490724 - 01/23/07 08:45 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Edited by Brainiac (01/23/07 08:50 PM)

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Just received mead making kit....equipment question [Re: Brainiac]
    #6490725 - 01/23/07 08:46 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

exactly like the top one.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

#6490757 - 01/23/07 08:58 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Make sure every than is clean and sanitize, if its going into the mead.
Don't worry, have a Homebrew.:)

Edited by Brainiac (01/23/07 09:09 PM)

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #6490782 - 01/23/07 09:08 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The airlockc is resting on a bung. It will provide a tight connection to carboys. It looks like a small bung, so it is likely a 5 gallon carboy. If you are using a bucket, the airlock will fit in the gromet in the lid.

The airlock serves one purpose, to prevent outside air from entering the fermentation vessel. There is only one way to assemble, and the lid has to be on. If you look closely at the lid, there are small holes around the edge of the lid. Its suppose to be like that during ferementation so the CO2 can escape. You will have to add some sort of liquid into the airlock for it to work, be sure you do not overfill, because there is a faint line that circles the airlock.

The best liquid you can put in there your sanitizer solution. Other than that, use really clean water. I have heard of people using vodka before, but at 40% ABV, I bet most of the volume will evaporate and making the airlock ineffective, unless you refill it everyday.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask them. Also follow the links in my sig to my previous, detailed, and highly pictorial brewing projects.

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

#6490785 - 01/23/07 09:08 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The way the 3-piece airlock works is this; you put the "cup" over the vent tube, fill the body of the airlock halfway full with a liquid (I use vodka) and put the lid on. The CO2 will push up into the inverted "cup", lifting it. As the "cup" rises, the CO2 is also working its way towards the bottom of the "cup." When it reaches the bottom of the "cup" it bubbles out around the edge and up and out through the liquid and out into the air through the vented lid of the airlock. The liquid keeps ambient air from finding its way back into the carboy.

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6490790 - 01/23/07 09:10 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Ok thanks! I see the line and will fill water to there. The only question I have is if I seal the top of the airlock with the cap won't the pressure just build up and blow it off?

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Just received mead making kit....equipment question [Re: daussaulit]
    #6490809 - 01/23/07 09:15 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Ok thanks, daussaulit. I missed your post when I asked about the cap just now. Yes, now that I look closely I see the small holes in the cap. Ok, I understand the purpose of the airlock and how it works now. Thanks for the explanations.

Time to make some Ancient Orange mead! :laugh:

Gonna sanitize everything and be extra careful as I don't want to throw these expensive ingredients down the drain.

--------------------

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

#6490834 - 01/23/07 09:23 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

If you don't sanitize, every then. It wont hurt you, you just won't like the teast. Unless, you like your mead at sour.Yeast doesn't let to many thanes grow with it.

--------------------

Edited by Brainiac (01/23/07 09:25 PM)

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6490854 - 01/23/07 09:28 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I want to be careful about contamination for sure. I have a one gallon carboy as I wanted to go small at first with my new hobby. But that is still a lot of honey and it aint cheap.

I guess I should sanitize everything even though it is all brand new, never-used equipment? Also I got the least expensive kit I could get knowing that I would probably upgrade later. One thing that worries me is the siphon hose is just a clear plastic hose with an opening at each end. Looks like that could be a cause of contamination..I mean my mouth is pretty clean but I wouldn't want any backwash going in there. I assume there is a better siphon available for a little extra money?

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6491476 - 01/24/07 12:42 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Got the first batch into the fermenter about fifteen minutes ago. Fermentation has already begun with a bubble coming up the airlock about every twenty seconds or so.

So far so good..

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #6491557 - 01/24/07 01:26 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

you should have made a post first, as you could have spent under $20 and had all the supplys & items to make the mead.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Re: Just received mead making kit....equipment question [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #6491573 - 01/24/07 01:35 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I guess I should sanitize everything even though it is all brand new, never-used equipment? yes. Just drank it from the fermenter.

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6491596 - 01/24/07 02:05 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
you should have made a post first, as you could have spent under $20 and had all the supplys & items to make the mead.

Huh?

I already have all the items I need. And the brewing part of this forum didn't exist at the time that I ordered my supplies.

Twenty bucks? Link please.

--------------------

Edited by zorbman (01/24/07 02:37 AM)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #6491647 - 01/24/07 03:05 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

here's the link:

1 gallon plastic or "glass" apple juice <---drink and use container to ferment in. $3

1 rubber stopper $1

1 valve lock $1.50

3.5 lb to 4 lb honey <-- $5

one big bag of blueberrys frozen $8

1 packet lalvin d47 $1.50

24 pack of aquafenia water $5
----------------------------------------------------

directions

active yeast per directions on packet

1. pour applejuice into another container ( you may add 1/4 of it to your mead if you desire).

2. pour in honey

3. add unthawd blueberrys to jug

4. add bottled water until you reach about 2/3 full

5. add yeast slurry

6. add rubber stopper

7. place thumb over hole in rubber stopper and shake the fuck out of the jug until honey is "mostly" desolved.

8. add fermentation valve

9. carry container to dark closet

10. take water bottle and fill valve with water or alcohol

11. wait 3 days or untill the eruption has stopped ( hope you lined your floor with plastic) now that things have settled down add bottle water until you are within an inch of the top

12. wait 1 month

13. taste, and add more honey if desired, strain or rack and ENJOY

Total Price:

$25 and that gets you

1 gallon of AWSOME blueberry mead
1 gallon of GOOD applejuice
20 bottles of Good water

and now you have my secret recipe....please send donations to.....

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6491658 - 01/24/07 03:26 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

By "link" I meant someplace to order from. There is no homebrew supply in my small town. So that means shipping costs plus bottles, caps, etc. Already got everything I need. Thanks for the information though.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #6491740 - 01/24/07 05:50 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

everything you would need is listed up above (for cheap mans wine). After its done fermenting you can either drink it all then, or pour it into the emtpy water bottles and store in the fridge.

the only thing you would have to order then would be the yeast, which is easy to find online.

--------------------

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

#6491789 - 01/24/07 07:04 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Edited by Brainiac (01/24/07 07:14 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale